Conquer Club

gettysburg map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

gettysburg map

Postby SAMSclub7788 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:33 pm

i previsously had an idea of a pennsylvania map but it died...so know im thinking of a gettysburg map? i dont kno how to make one soo can someone make it???
Cook SAMSclub7788

Re: gettysburg map

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:53 pm

what are the ideas? number of territs? gameplay?

i understand this is the ideas and suggestions part of the forum, but if you want someone to make the map for you, then you have to give some basic info so that someone might take it up
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby SAMSclub7788 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:03 pm

i want to be like a siege map without the forttress. maybe like 35-40 territs. holding differnet parts of each army gets you your bonuses
Cook SAMSclub7788

Postby kevlove102 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:24 pm

I love this idea and have been thinking about it since I joined CC, but I have no artistic ability at all.

I would love to help out anyway I can. I've been to the Battlefield many times and (i think) I know enough about the Battle to contribute something...I hope.

The Battle is one of the most famous in U.S. history so the appeal is definitely there...If you use the set up for the 3rd day of the Battle (July 3) you could have some pretty defined bonus areas.

3-4 key Generals on each side...plenty of cannons for bombarding....the Round Tops. Lee and Meade's Headquarters...

I just saw this thread and now i gotta leave work for the day....I'll keep thinking about this and adding to the thread over the weekend.
Lieutenant kevlove102

Postby mrjd1863 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:57 am

I was just about to suggest an American Civil War board but this would be even better.

one sugestion after the initial development of the board it can be taken 1 step further and have a separate board for each of the three days.

July 1st 1863
Beufords dismounted Union Calvalry holds Lee's Confederate Army untill Reynolds arrives, but then the yankees get pushed back any ways.

July 2nd 1863
Col. Joshua Lawrence Chaimberland's famous bayonet charge down little round top, the wheat field, the peach orchard

July 3rd 1863
15,000 confederate troops step off for a charge in a colum a mile wide across a field over a mile long under heavy artillery barrage and less than 6,000 come back.

i think these could make for some interesting gameplay, especially if you can find a way to set them up to a "historical" match, maybe have that as one of the options, sort of a change history scenario along with the standard risk-type scenario
Cook mrjd1863

Postby kevlove102 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:06 pm

mrjd: there is a Civil War map already....it's pretty cool, check it out.

Yeah, each day would be great, but most people, even those not from the U.S., if they have heard of Gettysburg they are probably most familiar with Picketts charge and the 3rd day. So starting with the 3rd day and seeing how that goes and then maybe expanding.
I've been trying to find a good map online to use as an example, but most are way too detailed.

To keep it simple and easy to learn/play you would just need: Both battle lines, the town, the round tops, maybe the 2 General's headquarters and the artillery. Then just break down the lines by commanders.

Some simple game play:
Artillery could bombard the enemy/other artillery
Bonus for holding the town
Bonus for the Round Tops
Bonus for holding individual commanders.
Maybe auto-deploy for holding the Head Quarters

just some thoughts....My goal this afternoon is to find a decent map that isn't too detailed to help get this rolling.
Lieutenant kevlove102

Re: gettysburg map, Artist Help needed!

Postby kevlove102 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:15 pm

here are links to some examples of the Battle, Day 3

http://gburginfo.brinkster.net/gettymap2.htm
http://www.us-civilwar.com/mapday3.pdf
http://www.pbs.org/civilwar/war/map14.html

if anyone out there has any artistic ability and would like to help with this it would be greatly welcomed!
I don't even know how to make a rough mock-up of the battlefield but am willing to help in any way with the position of troops, bonuses, game play and the such.

i hope we can keep this idea alive
Lieutenant kevlove102

Postby mrjd1863 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:32 am

yeah after i posted that i found the civil war map, been playing it for most of my games
Cook mrjd1863

Postby SAMSclub7788 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:48 pm

yea you should get auto deploy on the bombardment cannons to attack pickets charge...also we should definetly try to somehow get little round top in it (maybe a seperate map perhaps).
Cook SAMSclub7788

Postby kevlove102 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:02 am

yeah, there are so many different ways to do this one...you can just get a random drop..or you can do something like Fuedal where you just have a starting point and work out from that....the Round Tops would have to be worked in somehow...

just a complex idea...not sure how to get it done.....
Lieutenant kevlove102

Postby SAMSclub7788 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:15 pm

yea very true..hope this idea continues
Cook SAMSclub7788

Postby OlJock99 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:42 pm

love this idea as well. honestly, I think the simplest would be an overall map of the battle with the key skirmishes shown (little round top, pickets charge). It won't be 100% accurate due to timing, but would still be fun.
Major OlJock99

Postby Qwert on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:03 pm

So what you waiting,start creating map. ;)
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby OlJock99 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:20 pm

I have zero skills in cartography or programing! 8-)
Major OlJock99

Postby Qwert on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:29 pm

by OlJock99 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:20 am

I have zero skills in cartography or programing!

Me to. Use pencil and try to create something, if you dont even try,you never find what you can do.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby neanderpaul14 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:02 am

WOW this is a great idea for a map. was thinking it should definately be day 3 as the 2 sides are close to being equal. here are some ideas for bonuses etc....

bonuses for each individual corp( the union bonuses being smaller due to the fact that they had more corps on the field that day and that there corps were smaller)
corps to be made up of the individual divisions
also large bonus for holding an entire army
also territory bonuses for holding key battlefield locations(i.e.: devils den,little round top,culp's hill,......etc.....etc.
the territory bonuses would be intermixed with the corp/army bonuses
i'm not really a big fan of the artillery type attacks but on a map like this it should probably be included

I'm not real good with computers but if someone decides to make this I've been a civil war buff for years and would be willing to offer technical help in the historical asspects of this

I really hope this idea comes to fruition.

AWESOME idea qwert
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby neanderpaul14 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:05 am

OOOPS sorry in my previous post I said awesome idea qwert, :oops: :oops: upon rereading this I realize it was SAMSclub7788 my apologies

AWESOME idea SAMSclub7788
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Qwert on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:55 am

qwert wrote
Use pencil and try to create something, if you dont even try,you never find what you can do

These for you not awesome idea?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby neanderpaul14 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:30 pm

sorry qwert didn't mean your ideas wern't awesome just meant that the thread wasn't originated by you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cook neanderpaul14

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas