Conquer Club

Oceania [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: OCEANIA MAP ( (26/11/08 Vers. 1.3)

Postby reggie_mac on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:09 pm

Firstly, I like the idea of this map. It is something i would most defiantly play. now into the picking ... Chatham Islands are generally accessed from the South Island of NZ rather than the North Island, also the Tokelau is a territory of New Zealand, so should almost be part of that area bonus, or maybe including NZ as part of Polynesia then dropping Pitcarn Islands, which open it up for including more of indonesia??
Thats all i have for now...
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby gho on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Incandenza wrote:So, then, that's a no to lopping off pitcairn and adding more of indonesia?

I too want more indonesia, the part east of the wallace line, but you dont need to cut of pitcairn, all the parts of indonesia that are needed are visible as grey territories above of the northern territory and western australia.
Lieutenant gho

Postby Jumentum on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:07 pm

wow thats a really great map already!
Corporal 1st Class Jumentum

Re: OCEANIA MAP NEW! (25/11/08 Vers. 1.0)

Postby Geger on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:56 am

gho wrote:The eastern part of indonesia is a part of oceania, see the wallace line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Line

Thus i think you should add another continent, indonesia, with the western part of papua new guinea (known as irian jaya), Celebes, Flores (home to the amazing prehistoric midget men), Timor and all the other islands. You wouldnt need to widen your map because all the territories you would be adding would be above australia.

[-o< Yes, please... [-o<
Major Geger

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:54 am

Geger wrote:
gho wrote:The eastern part of indonesia is a part of oceania, see the wallace line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Line

Thus i think you should add another continent, indonesia, with the western part of papua new guinea (known as irian jaya), Celebes, Flores (home to the amazing prehistoric midget men), Timor and all the other islands. You wouldnt need to widen your map because all the territories you would be adding would be above australia.

[-o< Yes, please... [-o<

I know that wallace line signs the real end of asia continents and tha beginning of Oceania's one, but it seems to be a biological division so we're are discussing about.
Obviously if the community likes it, we can do this change, but since now i say that we can only admit this states:
    - Celebes
    - Flores
    - Timor
    - Malucas
    - Irian Java

Thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: OCEANIA MAP ( UPDATE! (27/11/08 Vers. 1.3))

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Maybe instead of having territories connected by attacking lines, you can draw territories Classic-style?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:10 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:I know that wallace line signs the real end of asia continents and tha beginning of Oceania's one, but it seems to be a biological division so we're are discussing about.
Obviously if the community likes it, we can do this change, but since now i say that we can only admit this states:
    - Celebes
    - Flores
    - Timor
    - Malucas
    - Irian Java

Thenobodies80

I think the Wallace line would be great for gameplay, and round off that end of the map. Please keep Norfolk Island, it is a far more significant island than Ashmore reef.
Captain e_i_pi

Re: OCEANIA MAP ( UPDATE! (27/11/08 Vers. 1.3))

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:26 pm

All of your glows are in bad need of less opacity.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Incandenza on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:56 am

gho wrote:
Incandenza wrote:So, then, that's a no to lopping off pitcairn and adding more of indonesia?

I too want more indonesia, the part east of the wallace line, but you dont need to cut of pitcairn, all the parts of indonesia that are needed are visible as grey territories above of the northern territory and western australia.

Yeah, you kinda do. The map is already about as wide as it can get, and the mapmakers are going to need space to properly do whatever bit of indonesia they feel appropriate (i.e. terit and continents names, circles, attack routes and what not). Pitcairn is such an outlier that it seems wasteful to include it.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:22 am

Incandenza wrote:
gho wrote:

Yeah, you kinda do. The map is already about as wide as it can get, and the mapmakers are going to need space to properly do whatever bit of indonesia they feel appropriate (i.e. terit and continents names, circles, attack routes and what not). Pitcairn is such an outlier that it seems wasteful to include it.

We 're going to include "wallace line zone" based on this picture ( green zone)
but pitcairn will not deleted because it's useful in gameplay.
Next week you can understand better than now ;) , infact we have to post the new map version
I think we could move pitcair a little bit to left but i have to speak with pikkio because he is the graphic.

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:02 am

We 're going to include "wallace line zone" based on this picture ( green zone)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/TransOceania_m.png/400px-TransOceania_m.png
but pitcairn will not deleted because it's useful in gameplay.
Next week you can understand better than now ;) , infact we have to post the new map version
I think we could move pitcair a little bit to left but i have to speak with pikkio because he is the graphic.

UPDATED TO 1.5 VERSION
HERE

NEW FEATURES:
WALLACE LINE ZONE ( 5 territories):
    - Celebes
    - Flores
    - Timor
    - Irian Java
    - Malucas

Postby Geger on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:56 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
NEW FEATURES:
WALLACE LINE ZONE ( 5 territories):
    - Celebes
    - Flores
    - Timor
    - Irian Java
    - Malucas

Thanks, but some corrections here :
    - Irian Jaya (with y) or West Irian or West Papua
    - Maluku or Moluccas

btw, you can call them East Indonesia ;)
Major Geger

Re: OCEANIA MAP Vers. 1.5 UPDATE Dec. 1st 2008

Postby pikkio on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:53 am

uopsss :oops: i'm sorry! my mistake... :roll: i really don't know very well that zones.. i will correct it! ;)

p.s. in fact i don't like too much the name Wallace Zone for the country.. if thenobodies is agree too, i think that we can call it East Indonesia like you suggest. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class pikkio

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:56 am

wikipedia wrote:The province was known as "West Irian" or "Irian Barat" from 1969 to 1973, and then renamed "Irian Jaya" (roughly translated, "Glorious Irian") by the Suharto administration. This was the official name until "Papua" was adopted in 2002. Today, natives of this province prefer to call themselves Papuans rather than Irianese.

I think Papua would be a good name for it. Irian Jaya, from what I've heard, is a name that is derogatory towards the people there, and a glorification of a military regime who stomped all over those people's push for independance. (This is hearsay) It roughly translates to "The Indonesian army (IRIAN) has triumphed".

Most people in this region call it Papua anyway, sometimes it's called West Papua. Papua sometimes refers to the entire island.

EDIT - Trivia about West Papua's inclusion into Indonesia, after formerly being a Dutch Territory

wikipedia wrote:In 1969, General Sarwo Edhi Wibowo oversaw the Indonesian conduct of the widely criticized "Act of Free Choice." Prior to the vote, the Indonesian military rounded up and detained for one month a large group of Papuan tribal leaders. The Papuans were daily threatened with death at gunpoint if the entire group did not vote to continue Indonesian rule.

/EDIT
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Geger on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:47 am

e_i_pi wrote:
wikipedia wrote:In 1969, General Sarwo Edhi Wibowo oversaw the Indonesian conduct of the widely criticized "Act of Free Choice." Prior to the vote, the Indonesian military rounded up and detained for one month a large group of Papuan tribal leaders. The Papuans were daily threatened with death at gunpoint if the entire group did not vote to continue Indonesian rule.

I didn't support the action, I'm from Sumatra and we are not happy either with our Central Government. We tried to go independent in 1958 and became the same threatening :evil: .
But let's take the politic out from cc ;)
Major Geger

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:51 am

Geger wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:

I didn't support the action, I'm from Sumatra and we are not happy either with our Central Government. We tried to go independent in 1958 and became the same threatening :evil: .

That's why I thought West Papua would be a good name - it is generic, non-political, and describes the area well :)
Captain e_i_pi

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:41 am

e_i_pi wrote:
Geger wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:

That's why I thought West Papua would be a good name - it is generic, non-political, and describes the area well :)

The New Name will be WEST PAPUA!
Thank you for the suggestion
Thenobodies80

Re: OCEANIA MAP Vers. 1.6 UPDATE Dec. 3rd 2008

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:35 am

NEW VERSION RELEASED

We released the 1.6 version HERE
we add some bombardments point....
Now we're waiting the community response, if nothing is wrong we are going to release the 2.0 version in the next days.

Thenobodies80

Re: OCEANIA MAP UPDATE Vers. 2.0 Dec. 6th 2008

Postby pikkio on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:39 pm

version 2 relased. please tell us what do you think about! ^_^

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:58 pm

"Turret" should be changed to "territory" in the legend.

Who do the missiles bombard?
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Geger on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:09 am

Nice... :)

But I see something wrong with the bonuses :?:
Melanesia has 5 territories and is in the center of the map, but has only 2 bonuses. Compare to Kiribati, that has 4 territories and is on the side of the map, but has 3 bonuses.
Major Geger

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:07 pm

I really like this map, and 90% of the map is unchartered in terms of CC. I think the polynasia(purple) is hard to differentiate from the pink, maybe change the pink with another colour?
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby pikkio on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:07 am

unfortunately, with that smaller islands is difficult to find 7 colours more different than those.. i tried a couple of different colours but the better remain those ones. :roll:

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:18 am

The Neon Peon wrote:"Turret" should be changed to "territory" in the legend.

Who do the missiles bombard?

missiles/turrets can bombard other missiles / turrets as pointed out in the map :D
Thenobodies80
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:22 am

Geger wrote:Nice... :)

But I see something wrong with the bonuses :?:
Melanesia has 5 territories and is in the center of the map, but has only 2 bonuses. Compare to Kiribati, that has 4 territories and is on the side of the map, but has 3 bonuses.

Here you can find the bonuses table i used for bonuses.
bonuses Table
Melanesia is defendible by few territories.
And no turrets can attack it!
That's why bonuses it's only 2
But i used a -2,00 approximation so i can give +2 to all countries but the proportion is the same! ;)

Thenobodies80

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas