Conquer Club

What makes a region hard to hold?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What is the biggest factor in determining the difficulty to hold a region for bonus?

Total votes : 0

What makes a region hard to hold?

Postby Banana Stomper on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:14 pm

Hey everyone. I'm working on a map (Tamriel, check it out and comment!), and as i'm sitting here deciding on the bonuses for the regions, it occured to me that right now, this is too subjective. So i had the idea to set up a a formula in which you just put in certain aspects to the region, and it ranks them in order of difficulty to hold. I want to determine which factors are most important so i can set up a little chart to plug and chug with. We use it in engineering to select concepts, but it should apply here. if you have any other ideas to determine this, i guess such as difficulty to navigate region, but i'm not sure if thats very big.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby Banana Stomper on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:24 pm

Maybe just a bit of an edit to the poll question, What makes a region hard to take and hold. Once you own it all, all the dirty work is done.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby kingwaffles on Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:44 pm

In my opinion it's number of borders because you have to split your troops across more of a wider area when you have more borders.
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby kevinc on Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:10 pm

A combination of all of the above.

Island maps (like the classic map) are different to maps with large land masses, as usually one those, you can be attacked from as many continents as you have borders.

On a single land mass map like yours, or Germany, often you could have 4 or 5 borders, but only be attacked from 2 'continents' or vica vera. That really affects how easy it is to get an hold a continent, and of course the overall position in a map.

I'm not sure there's any real formular other than making a rough guess, and then seeing if any adjustments need to be made after playing.
Corporal kevinc

Postby freakshow on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:56 pm

I've used the formula of: [(countries in region / 2) + number of contries to defend + number of contries you can be attacked from] / 3
I'm not sure if this formula works but I think it's pretty good.
Private freakshow

Postby Fangz on Wed May 10, 2006 4:35 pm

Don't forget position: Central continents are far harder to defend than edge continents.

Otherwise, it's mostly a matter of the number of border countries, allowing one or two off continent countries to consolidate the front.
Private Fangz

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed May 10, 2006 4:58 pm

my formula is a bit complicated...
I take (territories * 1.5) + (territories to defend * 4) + (territories that can attack * 1) + (continents that border * 0.5) all divided by 6
I use a spreadsheet to work it all out, and because all the formulae are tapped in, if the number of territories changes, the result does too!
also if you disagree with any of the 'multipliers' if you change the top one it affects every row/calculation
if anyone wants it I'll email it to them
I'd be interested to know what people think of the figures...
Cheers
Phil
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Return to Foundry Discussions