Conquer Club

Official: Centerscape Competition - Round 2!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Vote for which map you wish to see in full production!

Poll ended at Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:33 am

Entry 1
22%
Entry 2
25%
Entry 4
53%

Total votes : 269

Official: Centerscape Competition - Round 2!

Postby gimil on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:00 pm

The voting has finished, and the winner is #4, by RjBeals.
WidowMakers will be taking up the development from here.
--MrBenn
WidowMakers wrote:Please go here, OFFICIAL Centerscape REVAMP for the map development thread.

Thanks
WM

ENTRY 1
Click image to enlarge.

ENTRY 2
Click image to enlarge.

ENTRY 3 Eliminated
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq35 ... Entry3.jpg

ENTRY 4
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Official: Centerscape Competition - VOTE

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 pm

first post! good stuff so far, gotta look at them closer before i vote though!
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby RjBeals on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:24 pm

You've got to be kidding me. 4 Entires...
Where's the love... Where's that foundry spirit?
What's the matter with you people?

Jeez !
Private RjBeals

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:30 pm

1: Simple, i like it. The mountains could use some work, same for the trees, but otherwise it looks pretty good :D (i think its easy to tell whose this is.... :D )

2: uh oh, someones been to cartographers guild!!! gasp! :lol:

this actually surprises me that someone used a tutorial from cartographers guild for this, its really nice :) love the pirate theme!

3: To basic in my opinion. Looks like its grafiti on a wall?

4: This one is great (think i have a good idea of whose it is tho....) the text fits in perfectly, and the only thing that i think could use some work is the little boat off of liegon (or is it llegon?) looks alot like a house in my opinion.... this ones got my vote tho :D

RjBeals wrote:You've got to be kidding me. 4 Entires...
Where's the love... Where's that foundry spirit?
What's the matter with you people?

Jeez !

well, it is for people who have quenched maps, so that limits the ammount of people a bit...
Corporal bryguy

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Here's what I've got so far. In terms of my guesses, I avoided guys who made their maps a while back, I avoided guessing guys who haven't been around in a while, avoided guessing the mods, because wouldn't that be unfair if they could take everyones good ideas and make a combination of them? and lastly I avoided guessing RJ, because I feel like he wanted to share some glory with the other "pro" cartos.

1. I'm guessing wca on this one. Graphics are crisp and clean, very similar to Oasis and Winter. I like the how the territories were moved around especially in Desert and North Tundra, but still has the same feel and look of centerscape. If I had to critique anything, the trees are bothering me. Like they're supposed to represent an impassible I think, but since they're not super tight, it looks like there could be room for movement in those territories. Also, I feel like there's a waste of space on the whole right and bottom sides, because the other continents names are nicely placed in the background, whereas Wastelands and Stone Wilderness could be easily centered. Overall a nice map, but the concept is a little bland to me.

2. First I was thinking DiM, because of how it kinda has the same textures and "pop-out color-ness" of AOR3. But I don't know if he's even making maps still. And my second guess was Kap, because the borders look really nice (and almost look like the borders in Switzerland). I really don't know who did this, but my best guess would be TaC or WM just as two random guesses... and another guess would be EdBeard, just because there is a continent called the Beards lol. I'm a big fan of the concept, the graphics are super eye-catching, but my problem lies in the gameplay. While it seems to be solid, because it obviously follows the format from the original centerscape, it just doesn't give me the same feel. Like it's hard for me to translate the original to this map, and there seems to be way too much going on, with all those islands and boats on one side, but this HUGE mass of land on the other. Good concept, cool looking map, but I just don't feel like it captures the centerscape map I knew and loved...

3. I'm guessing Cairns. It just seems so Egypt-y and although its got a basic look, its still very clean, and the color palate is very pleasurable. On top of that, the butterfly logo would fit perfectly in that little chunk on the right side of the map where the question mark is currently stationed. I like this map because it reminds me of centerscape almost perfectly. The borders look really cool on this map, as is the whole idea that its chipped into a wall or something. Looks good, and is easy to recognize as centerscape. Plus if I'm right and Cairns did make one, well, we all know how much I love cairns' maps.

4. Man, I really thought this was samuel12c(is that his name?)... but he hasn't quenched a map yet. The style is really similar to the map he has in development right now though. My next guess would have to go to RJ, even though I really didn't think he was gonna submit after his apparent dissatisfaction after winning the last competition (although I guess he doesn't have to make sure everything he does with this map is approved by the original carto). It reminds me of Soviet Russia or whatever map he was making (maybe it was called USSR?)... But anyways, on to the likes and dislikes. I again really like the resemblance to the centerscape map, with familiarly placed continents, very basic gameplay,and good use of space. This is another well colored map, but why would you name the continents so basically? I hope that gets revised if this makes it to the next round. Overall, I would say the map adheres to the original centerscape really well, has a good layout and color scheme, and just looks really nice. BUT, I really can't dig the theme... in fact, there isn't one. And that is the ultimate downfall of this map.

So here's a rundown. I like everyone's graphics and I wish I could make a map that looks even half as good as any of these. But 3 stands out to me because it presents a cool theme that replaces the awesome Tolkien-esque world that the original centerscape gave us. Good luck to you all!
Last edited by whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:39 pm

can i vote for them all? :lol: well let me say whichever wins i hope the others tweek some small things and make maps out of the originals, my vote to come later
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Wow they are all nice ā€¦ good work!

1) Well, it's simple and straightforward so there's not necessarily wrong with it, but it's still not my favorite.

2) It's just a bit too much. The graphics are nice - a little to dark, IMO. But the gameplay looks like it would be a little chaotic and hard to hold some bonuses.

3) It's a nice map, but I don't think worthy of winning the Competition. Kinda like what I said for #1, it just seems a bit simple. However, "Wilds" seems ridiculously easy to hold while "Canaan" would be very very hard.

4) The best, IMO. Gameplay seems very nice and although the graphics seem a bit dismal, that's appropriate to the map as a whole. It will need many updates though ā€“ it seems much like a rough draft. No title, no continent names, etc. Got my vote!

EDIT: [I would rank 4 : 1 : 2 : 3 ā€¦ switch the last 3 up in any order, really. Just keep #4 in first for me ā€¦ they're all really great. I'm with Nate ā€“ make new maps out of these drafts if they don't win!]
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:56 pm

apon closer concideration... 4 got my vote, all of them are VERY good though!
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:00 pm

If RjBeals did do one, I'm gonna guess it was #4, but if he didn't, I'm still voting for #4.

#2 is freaking awesome though, I won't be sad if it wins. Mostly I like the territory names on that one.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:05 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:2) It's just a bit too much. The graphics are nice - a little to dark, IMO. But the gameplay looks like it would be a little chaotic and hard to hold some bonuses.

3) It's a nice map, but I don't think worthy of winning the Competition. Kinda like what I said for #1, it just seems a bit simple. However, "Wilds" seems ridiculously easy to hold while "Canaan" would be very very hard.

All of them should have the same gameplay... they're based on the same continents and territory numbers as centerscape had originally. it should also be maintaining the number of territories adjacent to every continent, so i'm unsure as to how the gameplays could differ
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby drake_259 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:06 pm

I voted on the one that i think looks the most professional and which one i think most people would like too play on which is #4
Corporal drake_259

Postby edbeard on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:09 pm

gameplay is the same on all of them (except for a missing bridge from Brena to Isle of Nugs on entry 4 (but this will be fixed obviously)).
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:If RjBeals did do one, I'm gonna guess it was #4, but if he didn't, I'm still voting for #4.

RJ must have done 4. Apparently he lives for these competitions, because he's running away with it again if it really is him. I do recall stating that I would put my money on his submission if he were to participate....

yup, here it is: from Nov 22 2008 at 13:14 EST
whitestazn88 wrote:I'll put my money on RJ winning another competition...

that is, if he decides to submit a map.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby RjBeals on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Hmmm.. I can't be certain, but I think oaktown has submitted the 3rd entry. Surely not carinswk. hmm..
Private RjBeals

Postby edbeard on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:12 pm

RjBeals wrote:Hmmm.. I can't be certain, but I think oaktown has submitted the 3rd entry. Surely not carinswk. hmm..

whoever did it used a Reverend_Kyle style
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:If RjBeals did do one, I'm gonna guess it was #4, but if he didn't, I'm still voting for #4.

RJ must have done 4. Apparently he lives for these competitions, because he's running away with it again if it really is him. I do recall stating that I would put my money on his submission if he were to participate....

yup, here it is: from Nov 22 2008 at 13:14 EST
whitestazn88 wrote:I'll put my money on RJ winning another competition...

that is, if he decides to submit a map.

Yep, I agree 100%
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby RjBeals on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:15 pm

edbeard wrote:
RjBeals wrote:Hmmm.. I can't be certain, but I think oaktown has submitted the 3rd entry. Surely not carinswk. hmm..

I remember oak saying he was having a hard time with the borders & layout. The white borders are surely the kyle style. And the stone wall layered on the back is not something I would think oak would do. But the smooth pen borders are - and that statue might be his touch.. Dunno.

I'm not saying if I did one or not. I just wished more people would have at least tried.
Private RjBeals

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:17 pm

edbeard wrote:

I can't really see where you get Oaky as #3, but it wouldn't surprise me if you cartoes tried to copy each others' style to throw off the casual foundry glancer...

And I don't get what you mean by Reverend_Kyle style? From what I found in my 30 seconds of research, he made the France map, stylistically different than 3 I feel like.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Gilligan on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:18 pm

Number 2. I love it.

But we can't judge solely on what it looks like now... It's the work afterward, I think some people have been deciding solely on what it looks like now..
Captain Gilligan

Postby MrBenn on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:21 pm

I wish I had been able to find the time to get my entry beyond a rough draft. I'm convinced it would have looked awful next to numbers 3 and 4, but hey!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:23 pm

the one thing that i will concede that could make it oaky's work is the story feel of it.

cairns is historical, but the "epic of gilgamesh" surely doesn't fit into his previous schemes that were just plain ww2, or ancient egypt

the story type aspect of gilgamesh brings me to think of duck and cover, his developing india map, the eastern hemisphere map which is overlaid by the story of divide and conquer the unknown world, and lastly the high seas, which i think has some mention of a seafarer from back in the day....

but then again... cairns did age or merchants right? apparently not... but he did do: bamboo jack (although slightly historical), prohibition chicago, and treasures of the galapagos, all of which kinda have a little background story (pows in thailand, gangs in chicago, exploring the galapagos)

i really don' know... and this is why i hate reading everyone elses posts in the voting phase cuz it makes me second guess my ability to "name that carto!"
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby RjBeals on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:24 pm

Gilligan wrote:Number 2. I love it.

But we can't judge solely on what it looks like now... It's the work afterward, I think some people have been deciding solely on what it looks like now..

I also love #2, but it's just a complete step-by-step follow of the tutorial on cartographers guild. Here's their finished map tutorial. No offense to the creator - but I hope if this wins, you can change it up a bit. Use a little more of your own creative juices. The pirate theme is indeed cool, and we need a good pirate map here.
Private RjBeals

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:29 pm

4 is hot stuff with those mountains.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Gilligan on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:30 pm

It needs Barbossa :P ;)
Captain Gilligan

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:32 pm

RjBeals wrote:
Gilligan wrote:Number 2. I love it.

I also love #2, but it's just a complete step-by-step follow of the tutorial on cartographers guild. Here's their finished map tutorial. No offense to the creator - but I hope if this wins, you can change it up a bit. Use a little more of your own creative juices. The pirate theme is indeed cool, and we need a good pirate map here.

I can't see it, and am too lazy to register on the site... care to just post the image for us?
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Next

Return to Competitions