Conquer Club

Official: Centerscape Competition - Round 2!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Vote for which map you wish to see in full production!

Poll ended at Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:33 am

Entry 1
22%
Entry 2
25%
Entry 4
53%

Total votes : 269

Re: Official: Centerscape Competition - VOTE

Postby Lindax on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Middle Earth was my favorite map on cc. I think all 4 designers have done a great job. Number 2 looks awesome, however, to play on I think I prefer no 4.

Great job all =D>
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:39 pm

[Edited to remove bias based on "knowing" the mapmaker of a certain entry.]

I'll just add another "way to go guys! they look great!" here instead of my analysis of a certain cartographers map in development in comparison to one of the maps presented in this competition
Last edited by whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:44 pm

1. This person is a very good map maker, an the style is very good. Although I will say that it looks like the person did not have the time to make a map up to his/her usual standards. It seems unfinished.

2. A very creative idea and good graphics to make it happen. Although I don't personally like playing on something that looks so realistic it is as if it was taken off a satellite photo.

3. Definitely not my style. I won't comment here, just not my type.

4. The more classical style of map. Looks like an actual map in real life and of the old days. I voted for this one. Except, the person who made it seems to have gotten something wrong. Isle of Nugs should connect across the river to the other two territories for gameplay to remain the same. This is a 5 minute fix still all that needs to be done is have the bridge moved north along with the island until they connect to the peninsula, plus some really small color tweaks there. Still encourage people to vote for it.

VOTE FOR #4

(I really wish he continued on the iron curtain map...)
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby edbeard on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:55 pm

white, kyle's egypt map (which was a ripoff (at least in layout) of another site's map) had the same basic graphical style though this one is done much much better

on to the maps themselves...

1. this one is the most unfinished. this person would freely admit with more time he/she could do a lot more. problem is the options seem limitless (bad because there doesn't seem to be a direction for the details which could put it over the top) and the concept doesn't grab me so much.

2. this one is the most unique and had the best concept. love the beards. the territory names are quite good all around (rodrom mountain). perhaps tone down the lines a bit to blend them in a bit more. There is a lot going on in the image. It'd be nice to have more than one ship type. The lake by Captain Hook looks weird.

3. cool concept. very finished/well done. I don't think much could be improved here. honestly not as exciting as Pirates though.

4. like 3 it's finished and I don't see how another round can improve it. the left side of the map is quite cool. I think the layout of this map stays most true to the original. it looks very good. very very good. the arrow probably could be a bit larger/more noticeable. the Brena-Isle of Nugs connection is missing. the Stones Pass - Alexandria connection looks bad.

I'd say 2,3,4 will definitely be good choices and whichever don't win should be made into maps anyway. 1 is unknown since to me it's not complete. 2 is my favourite because of the pirates. 3 like I said is well done but not enough to grab me to win over 2 and 4. 4 might be the most finished and best looking at the moment. I think 2 can improve with a few detail touch ups and win.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby RjBeals on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:13 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:[Edited to remove bias based on "knowing" the mapmaker of a certain entry.]

I'll just add another "way to go guys! they look great!" here instead of my analysis of a certain cartographers map in development in comparison to one of the maps presented in this competition

:o :lol: :lol:

Nice (deleted) post though White - Or should I say... Detective.

You think you know huh... I wish I could say.. O how I wish.

(edit) Oh, I voted for number-1. Is it brygry or wca - i forget, but it's got my vote.
Last edited by RjBeals on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private RjBeals

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:17 pm

upon a thorough search of the abandoned parts of the foundry, i found reverend_kyle's map of ancient egypt.

based on the sole image i was able to view, i could see how the styles are similar because theyre very hieroglyphic in nature. but that map would definitely never meet foundry standards now. thankfully, cairns made 4 ancient egypt maps for us to enjoy over that one...

but back to map 3. it is sexy in its nature, and no matter who made it, i am happy to say that i am its sole proponent.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:29 pm

RjBeals wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:[Edited to remove bias based on "knowing" the mapmaker of a certain entry.]

:o :lol: :lol:

Nice (deleted) post though White - Or should I say... Detective.

You think you know huh... I wish I could say.. O how I wish.

(edit) Oh, I voted for number-1. Is it brygry or wca - i forget, but it's got my vote.

bryguy hasn't finished a map yet... famine is in... final forge? vacation? i forget, but i'm looking forward to that one bry...
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby samuelc812 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:44 pm

I voted for Number 4 :)

My guesses
1. wcaclimbing
2. Mibi
3. oaktown
4. RjBeals
Captain samuelc812

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:16 pm

samuelc812 wrote:I voted for Number 4 :)

My guesses
1. wcaclimbing
2. Mibi
3. oaktown
4. RjBeals

My guesses exactly. And I voted for 4, too. I'll write up a bit on how each can be improved shortly.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:41 pm

1: That texture looks really familiar. Oasis/winter much? It looks good, but it's kind of plain. The bridges could use work, and the title is rather bland. Also, I think a new name would be better than Centerspace. And the trees...are those supposed to be trees? They need work. But the mountains are really good (clearly Oaktown didn't make this :P). I would also suggest make mountains alongside the one-way attack to make it even more clear that it's one-way.

2: Not sure who made this. The graphics are good, but very jarring, similar toAoR:3. Pirates is a great theme, but the borders and attack lines are really, really bright. I can't help but feel that this map would be much prettier without any borders on it :(. Points for "No" Beard, though. That got a lot of chuckles out of me. My biggest problem with this map is that I can't follow what attacks what easily. While pirates is an awesome theme, I don't think it works well with this gameplay. There are too many neon attack lines - it gives me a headache.

3: A nice concept, but I'm kind of neutral about it. The graphics are well done and very fitting with the theme, but I just don't like them very much, for the same reason I don't like ConquerMan's graphics. The rainbow mountains are what really did it for me - that's just too goofy looking. Also, this doesn't really have much to do with Gilgamesh...maybe rename it to reflect that it's the Ancient Middle East, since I don't see a way of including more Gilgameshian things (the Epic really doesn't refer to places at all, other than Uruk).

4: I like this one a lot. A lot. It reminds me of an ancient fantasy map, something that one might find in, oh, I don't know, something that Tolkein wrote? ;). I don't love the font, but it's really not a bad font, that's just the only thing I can find wrong with it. As with entry 1, perhaps put mountains along the 1-way attack to make it more clear that it's 1-way. Also, the continent names leave a lot to be desired. And the connection issue Yeti pointed out needs to be fixed, but that's simple.

These were all good submissions, but I kind of expected more of them :(

Great job guys!
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby oaktown on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:46 pm

huh, could've sworn I posted in this thread already... stupid work connection.

For starters, I truly appreciate the fact that there are four maps that are entirely different from each other in style and subject. It's becoming clear that everybody around here has found their niche - had I gotten it together enough to submit my usual late-19th century map with hand-drawn mountains there'd be another artistic voice represented. Ho hum, it'd be nice to have more entries, but we have quality to choose from. For what it's worth, here's my two cents...

#1 - clean and simple. A bit too straightforward for my tastes perhaps, but absolutely playable.

#2 - nice look and a theme that is in demand. Serious kudos for the Tolkien nod. =D> If this map doesn't win, the regions and territories could and should be tweaked to retain the theme.

#3 - a theme that would make Tolkien proud, with some interesting liberties taken with actual geography. :-k Again, a map that could be reworked to retain the look and theme.

#4 - in my opinion the easiest to look at of the four entries (love the bridges), and I appreciate any map that doesn't insist on being 840 x 800 pixels. I do wish that both this and #1 had some kind of theme that pulled me into the map, as my preference is for maps that have some kind of historical significance.

I'm leaning toward voting #4 - if it had a theme (or even a name) I would probably vote for it now.
Captain oaktown

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:59 pm

my only guess is RJ for #4.

EDIT: replaced my earlier comment about number two with this, since I think it explains what I was trying to say better:
I don't think mibi made map #2. With his impressive graphics for other maps, such as Trojan War, I would expect graphics more trojan war-ish from him, drawn with the style he has used before. I don't think he would use a tutorial for inspiration on how to create realistic terrain, because he has already showed that he has excellent realism skills from Trojan War. I wouldn't expect him to switch his style from what he had with trojan war to something so different. So I think it was someone else. I may be wrong, though. that wouldn't surprise me either.

I wish I had more time to finish my entry.....
Last edited by wcaclimbing on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:my only guess is RJ for #4.

And that mibi did NOT do number two. I would expect him to draw his own terrain, like he did for Trojan War, not use a tutorial.
That does not really make sense. Basically you are saying that anyone who uses a tutorial is not "doing" real work. SO anyone who uses mibi's tutorial is not really doing work either? Only the original artist of a concept can claim that it is his/her work.

Basically I am saying a tutorial is not bad. It was not copied (it appears) just followed to get the same effect. How many tutorials or techniques have you developed yourself wca?
Great job everyone.

#1-Simplest of the bunch. Does not have the flare to grab the attention of the player.
#2-Only map to switch up themes. The other three are all land, this has ships. The theme is what makes this map great. Needs new font, different ships for each fleet, tone down colors.
#3-Very interesting design. I don't like the brick texture. Good soft colors and easy to read.
#4-IS this the small or large map. VERY easy to read. Good texture. Almost 95% the same layout as Middle earth. Great funny names. needs title but that is easy.
WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:my only guess is RJ for #4.

And that mibi did NOT do number two. I would expect him to draw his own terrain, like he did for Trojan War, not use a tutorial.

That does not really make sense. Basically you are saying that anyone who uses a tutorial is not "doing" real work. SO anyone who uses mibi's tutorial is not really doing work either? Only the original artist of a concept can claim that it is his/her work.

Basically I am saying a tutorial is not bad. It was not copied (it appears) just followed to get the same effect. How many tutorials or techniques have you developed yourself wca?

I think I worded what I said wrong, I didn't mean it as an insult, if thats what it sounded like.
I didn't mean for it to sound like "he's not doing work", either.
Or anything like that...
I'm just saying that with mibi's impressive graphics for other maps, such as Trojan War, I would expect graphics more trojan war-ish from him, drawn with the style he has used before. I don't think he would use a tutorial for inspiration on how to create realistic terrain, because he has already showed that he has excellent realism skills from Trojan War. I wouldn't expect him to switch his style from what he had with trojan war to something so different. So I think it was someone else. I may be wrong, though. that wouldn't surprise me either.

... is that worded any better?

I'm not trying to go against tutorials or people that use them. I've used many tutorials for guidance, including the ones mibi made. I guess I put too much emphasis on "tutorial" in my first message. I meant it more as "learned a completely new technique for mapmaking", not a comment against tutorial use.

Map 2 (the one we're talking about) looks great, I really like the graphics. I just wouldn't expect that style from mibi...

Sorry if I made anyone mad.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby MaleAlphaThree on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 pm

1- Simple, but too simple.

2- Very interesting theme. Wouldn't mind seeing this map modified and outside of the centerscape replacement line up, just to have it available guaranteed.

3- Also very interesting, see #2.

4- Very nice colors, very close to old map layout, and most importantly of all.... easy to read. My vote.
Captain MaleAlphaThree

Postby e_i_pi on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:59 am

Ah finally a map comp I can comment in :P

All the entries are stunning. I remember when it started I so wanted to do CS instead of CA. I'm glad I wasn't allowed - I would have been destroyed. You veterans of the Foundry are testament to the talent on this site.

Now, for some comments about the maps:

1) The trees are fantastic, as is the overall feel. It has that dreamlike pseudo-realistic quality to it, like it's painted in high detail watercolours. Continent names are perfect with the font, amount of glow, and curvature. The river looks great, but the shore (water) of the ocean... I feel that could use a little more choke on the glow, to give it slightly more definition - very little choke, this is a minor criticism. The islands could use a bit of work, they stand out to me as the most out of place thing on the entire map. It may be a combination of the saturation and hue against the muted ocean. Also, I would like to see more detail to the coastline, such as rocky headlands and beaches, but that's just me.

2) Whoa where do I start. I'm going to criticise this one a bit, not because I don't like it, but because I see the potential and can see what's getting in the way. The textures are breathtaking, and the icons are perfect. The whole thing looks wow, really it does. The outer glow on the islands - it contrasts too much, or perhaps there is too much glow. It catches the eye, but too much - like when they make a new flavour of chips and you have 2-3 and it's good, then by chip #7 your mouth is burning. The attack route Captain Morgan to Skull of Doom is going to create issues with people, it being red and the border nearby being red. The one-way attack arrow could do with a very slight, and I mean VERY slight, bevelling, barely visible, but just enough to remove the flatness of it. One last small thing, scurge is spelt scourge :P

3) Top points for working with the gameplay. I couldn't believe someone had managed to fit the game of 'Centrescape' into an area of the world that was basically the centre of civilisation for a few thousand years. That takes skill. The colours are great, the texture is tactile, and the title and picture-border are really nice. At first, the mountains didn't catch me, but after a look for a while, I like them a lot. The dappled colours amongst them are really nice, and complement the territory colours well - they also break up the solidness of the colour on the map, giving it that fresco feel. I am thoroughly surprised with the lack of votes. Sure, the map does not have that eye-popping juju, but it's absolutely beautiful in it's simplicity and workmanship. I really have no idea how it can be improved upon - there are maps in play that don't hold a candle to this one.

4) Okay, who hired the Warhammer 40k artists to work on the map comp. I'll start with the kudos: The legend is the best I've seen. The ships and the waves are just perfect. The font is great, I love the jagged look to it, it really complements the rough spattered texture of the land. And I love the way you got your monitor, and painted it with strong black tea, to give it that sepia feel - what a sacrifice. If this map was a human female, it would either be Salma Hayek, or Salma Hayek would be crying in a corner. So the criticisms :twisted: I have never liked drop-shadow on land - Italy, Puget Sound, and this map - I just don't think it adds anything to have drop shadow, and makes the land look like it's floating on the ocean. The lake between Vega and Paean is great and fits well. The other lakes look too perfectly curvy round the edges, and the one on red continent has too much undulating wobble compared to the others. That's about it for criticisms - this map really is good, as is reflected in the votes.

<EDIT> I'm refraining from voting. They are all too good. It's like someone asking if I want a bottle of D'Arenberg Dead Arm 2001, Johnny Walker Blue label, OP Polish Vodka, or a case of Heineken... I want them all :D
Captain e_i_pi

Postby yeti_c on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:17 am

Comments

1) Uses Trojan War tutorial - Nice work though - Islands in the top left could do with some work.
2) I love this - great theme - moody lighting.
3) Another brilliant theme - Love the textures - Can't understand why people are saying this is bland.
4) Looks great - No Theme. (And error in connections)

Who I think did what

1) WCAclimbing - similar LnF to Oasis.
2) ?? Really not sure - All the people I think could've done it are american - yet the spelling of "grey" is ruining that... Could it be t-o-m?
3) Oaktown - He loves the historical stuff.
4) RJBeals - Great GFX (as ever)

Current order of preference... 2-3-4-1

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby edbeard on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:27 am

e_i_pi wrote:I am thoroughly surprised with the lack of votes. Sure, the map does not have that eye-popping juju, but it's absolutely beautiful in it's simplicity and workmanship. I really have no idea how it can be improved upon - there are maps in play that don't hold a candle to this one.

yea it's definitely deserves more than 5% of the vote. the bricks definitely are a nice touch which I think get lost unless you look at it closely but you don't want them sticking out any more than they do. it's a nice touch but unfortunately it's one that won't help you get votes just kudos.

I do wonder why light brown, grey, and dark blue don't have symbols or figures in the continent whereas green has the lion, dark brown has the scorpion?, red has the temple?, and tan has the camel
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby bryguy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:57 am

whitestazn88 wrote:
RjBeals wrote:(edit) Oh, I voted for number-1. Is it brygry or wca - i forget, but it's got my vote.

bryguy hasn't finished a map yet... famine is in... final forge? vacation? i forget, but i'm looking forward to that one bry...

vacation while i work out some kinks :D

so far ive only had time to redo the trees and the legend.... i like the legend now :D (hopefully you guys will to....)
Corporal bryguy

Postby gimil on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:17 am

Here is my 2cents on what I have seen.

1. The potential for the theme is there but I think the skill and technique of this look needs to be a little more practised and refined. I think this one COULD be my favourite if it was done a little better.

2. Definetly like the pirate theme and how smooth and crisp everything is. However I feel that it may be a little busy for my liking and amry numbers may make this map a little sore on the eyes. Overall though I can't really complain about the quailty.

3. I didn't like the brick look at first, however it is begining to grow on me. It's definetly a unique style here on CC. One issue I have with the bricks is they are carried over to the water, I would personally like to see something a little more flat there.

4. Definetly the cleanest and most consitent style in the competition. Feels to me like it is missing a little something, maybe a title is what it need to be a little more complete?

Anyway 4 good entries, haven't yet decided who to vote for.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby djak. on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:16 pm

What's with 3 and 4's ALL CAPS?
Lieutenant djak.

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:51 pm

djak. wrote:What's with 3 and 4's ALL CAPS?

There's nothing wrong with this… :roll:
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby luv2tri2 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:37 pm

I can't even look at map #2. When I try and look at it and look away, I see spots. Like trying to stare at the sun. Map 4 is pretty good. Two things: Clean up the mountains with more detail and get a theme (titles, etc.).
Captain luv2tri2

Postby The Chosen on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:18 pm

There's only one winner here...

\:D/ =D> Number 4 is excellent =D> \:D/

Everyone else just pales in comparison.

:ugeek:
Major The Chosen

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:05 pm

70 votes? Holy crap Rj... when did you become such a prolific competition winner
Lieutenant whitestazn88

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions