Conquer Club

Official: Centerscape Competition - Round 2!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Vote for which map you wish to see in full production!

Poll ended at Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:33 am

Entry 1
22%
Entry 2
25%
Entry 4
53%

Total votes : 269

Re: Official: Centerscape Competition - VOTE

Postby jako on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:28 pm

entry 4 looks about the closest thing to before centerscape. but im really loving the pirate theme of entry 2. personally, i wasnt much of a fan of the pre-centerscape map so i dont really mind it taking a different approach.

although the votes are putting entry 4 in the lead, i hope that if this competition doesnt work out for entry 2, that it could totally be its own map.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:34 pm

I voted for #4 also.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby sammy324 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:44 pm

I like them all, but I want to know if #1 or #4 have a theme, title, or something to indicate their inspiration. I can see that in #2 and #3, and I think it's important.

What I like about:

#1--the territory names are short, simple, and I think they will be easy to remember once I get used to them. 2 and 3 seem a little too long and cumbersome when searching through the scrollbox.

#2--It's colorful and creative. I really like the look of it, although it may be too bright for extended play, with all those neon colors. Plus, I love pirates, and the oblique references to Tolkien and the Tower of Isen.

#3--I really like that it's based on an actual place, and the legend of Gilgamesh. It's cool. But, to me, the colors are too washed out. It's not a big deal, but I prefer maps with brighter colors.

#4--The colors are perfect. There are clear demarcations between the continents, and the territory shapes are good. But, where do the army circles go? There doesn't seem to be much room in some of the territories.

-vote withheld-
Corporal 1st Class sammy324

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:01 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:I voted for #4 also.

not your own?
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:15 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:I voted for #4 also.

not your own?

nope. Didn't vote for my own.
I like 4 better.

Postby saaimen on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:02 pm

I voted #3. I find it hard to believe this map has the least votes...
Maps should be a world on their own. They don't have to be geographical, but they must have their own certain way of creating an small universe for the player to get into. To me, #3 is the only map that does this.

#1 is too sterile to move me. I like Oasis and future Winter, but this map seems less adult, and too much should be done to get me excited.

In #2, I think the theme and ideas are great, but these graphics just aren't right to express them. If I'd play on this map, deploying on one of the ships would not in the least bit get me close to yelling "Yarrrr! Full sails ahead!" And I believe it should.

#4 of course has the very refined graphics and wonderfully warm colourwork. If you just close your eyes a little bit, you could be looking at a quenched CC map. But if you try to find something the cartographer wants to bring out, wants you to get involved in, you could be looking for a long time. I think the mapmaker has just been too busy perfecting graphics. All do respect, he honestly did a great job. But I get the impression he wasn't working on something with heart and soul, he didn't believe in his own work's power to create a new reality in the head of the player. Why do so many CC'ers prefer a map that doesn't have a theme? Maps aren't simply supposed to catch the eye. They must catch your mind.

On map #3, I get the feeling the mapmaker takes you along in his story. The graphics are less bright or saturated than others, and yeah, the seas have a brick pattern under them aswell. Are these criticisms? This whole map must have been created following one vision. It IS a wall. Watch the top and bottom borders of the map. Have you ever seen a highly saturated painting on an old stone wall? The pastel colours give it an ancient feel. And because the graphics don't pop out of the screen, doesn't mean they're not skillfully crafted. From every little pyramid-style mountain to the beautiful little animal logos (has anyone taken a decent look at Mashu, The Passes, Karvansara or Uruk?), this map makes me feel the cartographer believed in his work, and I applaud the care he has taken to tell his tale.
And last but not least, this map still carries the gameplay feel our beloved Middle Earth had.

If this map doesn't end up above (or at least close to) #4, I will be very disappointed in CC community...

:!: VOTE #3 :!:
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby Lupo on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:28 am

I agree with saaimen and I voted for map #3 as well.

In my opinon, map #4 is winning because it is a very good Middle Earth Map Revamp.

I wish map makers #1 and #4 worked together on the final map in order to take the best of each map.

At the same time, I would suggest map maker 3 to develope his own map, also if be not the final winner of this competition: in this way, he will have even the possibility to change map gameplay if needed.
"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby Beko the Great on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Hey! 3 must be a map! the Epic Tales of mighty Gilgamesh deserve their place in CC!
Major Beko the Great

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:49 pm

Beko the Great wrote:Hey! 3 must be a map! the Epic Tales of mighty Gilgamesh deserve their place in CC!

I would agree, but how exactly do you make a map of the Epic Tales of Gilgamesh? Nothing is mentioned in actual locations. It would just end up to be a map of Mesopotamia.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby saaimen on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:31 pm

What don't you like about the current map then? Saying it's just a map of Mesopotamia doesn't mean it's not a terrific map, right?
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:15 pm

saaimen wrote:What don't you like about the current map then? Saying it's just a map of Mesopotamia doesn't mean it's not a terrific map, right?

True, but that map is bit too old fashioned for me, the other maps look 1400 AD+
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby animorpherv1 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:33 pm

I say #2. Everything is perfect. It looks nice, and has a better feel thanthe rest.

My first thought, at the rest was: :roll: . And I normally don't LIKE Pirates.
Cook animorpherv1

Postby Serbia on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:47 pm

I voted for #4. Just the best looking of all the maps. #2, definitely not, just too much for my tastes. #1 is nice, rather simple. #3 I actually really like the 'idea' of, was my second choice, but in the end, it's just real simple, like a decent first draft. I'd like to see someone maybe take that idea and expand upon it. But for what was presented to us, #4 is obviously the best.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby ghirrindin on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:52 am

Could you release the Gilgamesh map even if it doesn't win? It's hands down the most stylish, clever, and creative of the three, and the fresco motif looks amazing. Whoever made it had it together, that's for sure. I'm in utter shock that it hasn't gotten more votes.
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:31 am

I too am amazed at the lack of votes for #3. For me it was a tough choice between 3/4, but in the end I went with 3, as the theme and creative adaptation of the gameplay was exemplary. If it was to choose a finished article, I may have voted differently, but I would love to see #3 after it has had a chance to respond to some feedback ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oaktown on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:53 am

MrBenn wrote:I too am amazed at the lack of votes for #3.

My guess is that both #3 and #2 can and will rise again as new maps. A pirate map is desperately needed at this site, and a Gilgamesh-themed may work better when it doesn't have to conform to the Centerscape gameplay; it would be nice to see the Tigris and Euphrates in the correct places. Just because a map loses one shouldn't assume that we'll never see that map again.
Captain oaktown

Postby saaimen on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:33 am

Serbia wrote:#3 I actually really like the 'idea' of, was my second choice, but in the end, it's just real simple, like a decent first draft.

I can't believe you're being serious. It's more finished than all of the other maps. I don't know what issue could keep this map from getting quenched. The graphics are more detailed and more finished than #4's, and I don't have to repeat here that it should bother everyone that #4 has no theme at all. Calling #3 a first draft, I wonder how you can prefer #4.
ghirrindin wrote:It's hands down the most stylish, clever, and creative of the three, and the fresco motif looks amazing.
=D>
ImageImage

Postby MuzzaG on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:11 pm

Very nice work here.

I voted for the pirates because it looks like so much fun and feels different different enough in it's theme to justify it's existence. #4 while more attractive, and with awesome typography, lacks some atmosphere because the random fantasy-scape is not tied to anything recognisable (at least to me). I am also particularly enamoured of the Gilgamesh theme, very clever, unfortunately graphically it is somewhat flat.

I agree with an earlier poster that suggested that the runners-up should be developed into unique quenched maps as well.
Lieutenant MuzzaG

Postby Jumentum on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:02 pm

maybe each of the ones that dont win could just change up the gameplay a bit and we'd have like 4/5 terrific new maps
Corporal 1st Class Jumentum

Postby NoLeafClover on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:53 pm

#4 please
Sergeant NoLeafClover

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:...
3. I'm guessing Cairns...

not mine...i didn't submit :o
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Mmmmm. thought this before i read the line below..perhaps the commentor givez a clue whose map it is.

pepperonibread wrote:4 is hot stuff with those mountains.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:21 pm

cairnswk wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:...
3. I'm guessing Cairns...

not mine...i didn't submit :o

My amateur guess is Oaktown. He can submit, right?
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby oaktown on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:31 am

disclaimer: I like option #4. I think it looks fantastic. It got my vote. Slap a "Centerscape" title on it and we have a map. Quench it! :D

Since this round is all about commenting and giving feedback, it should be pointed out that the #4 mapmaker needs to make some tweaks to match the original gameplay. The "Isle of Nugs" needs to have bridges to both of the territories above it. Saluda should not border Fairfield. Hampton should border Paen. There may be more, but that's what I see right off.

In round two I'd like to see more impassable mountains and fewer of the odd lakes.
Captain oaktown

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:23 am

oaktown wrote:disclaimer: I like option #4. I think it looks fantastic. It got my vote. Slap a "Centerscape" title on it and we have a map. Quench it! :D

Since this round is all about commenting and giving feedback, it should be pointed out that the #4 mapmaker needs to make some tweaks to match the original gameplay. The "Isle of Nugs" needs to have bridges to both of the territories above it. Saluda should not border Fairfield. Hampton should border Paen. There may be more, but that's what I see right off.

In round two I'd like to see more impassable mountains and fewer of the odd lakes.

1. Fix the border problems.
2. replace some of those lakes with mountains.
3. quench.

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions