Conquer Club

Consolidate map list [Done]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Consolidate map list [Done]

Postby trk1994 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:18 pm

I may be told to take this somewhere else, but how hard would it be to have a button to "remember my settings" so that I would not have to "ctrl-click" each map I want in my search criteria every time I want to do a search? Sure once in a while i try different maps and/or settings., but I mostly do the same search over and over. With the new system it'll take much longer to enter in the info.

Or how about a "do not include" button for search criteria. For those maps we know we don't play.
"We are advancing constantly and not interested in holding anything except the enemy. We're gonna hold 'em by the nose and we're gonna kick 'em in the ass!" -PATTON
Corporal 1st Class trk1994

Postby chuck D on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:44 pm

too lazy to read all 4 pages of bitching... i tried starting an alexander map, but it doesn't work. tried it on 2 PCs, on IE and firefox... no workee...
Last edited by chuck D on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fight the power

Colonel chuck D

Postby RayK on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:52 pm

I really hate that I can no longer search multiple maps at the same time - this is a real degrade of Game Finder!
Lieutenant RayK

Postby soka on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:57 pm

leave game finder alone but start a game can be as is now idc but also throw in a multi game maker ...so i can make 2 to 50 maps with same setting 1 time
Sergeant 1st Class soka

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:51 pm

I don't know if it's a bug or what-not, but there is no means to de-select all maps once you've clicked one. I would assume clicking the map again would de-select, but it doesn't. Instead, I have to workaround by either reloading the page, or selecting EVERY map.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby sully800 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:12 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I don't know if it's a bug or what-not, but there is no means to de-select all maps once you've clicked one. I would assume clicking the map again would de-select, but it doesn't. Instead, I have to workaround by either reloading the page, or selecting EVERY map.

ctrl + click
Major sully800

Postby sully800 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 pm

RayK wrote:I really hate that I can no longer search multiple maps at the same time - this is a real degrade of Game Finder!

hold ctrl while selecting maps and you can search for any number of maps
Major sully800

Postby saaimen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:25 pm

sully800 wrote:
RayK wrote:I really hate that I can no longer search multiple maps at the same time - this is a real degrade of Game Finder!

hold ctrl while selecting maps and you can search for any number of maps

Same as files on any computer. How easy can it be...

\:D/ Hurray for good change \:D/ ! Anyone ever heard of status-quo-bias? CC community is full of it.
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby go dan m on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:50 pm

I always lose my search criterion when clicking on the back button. I'd like this to be addressed. Maybe we can have a search preference?

Thanks!

--

dan
Corporal 1st Class go dan m

Postby Downey on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:08 am

I kind of like this idea.
It makes things a lot easier.
Private Downey

Postby jwzirul on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:20 am

Can't say I am a fan of the new look. Looking at the thumbnails is how I pick which games to start. I like the idea of making this a preference. Is that possible?
Sergeant 1st Class jwzirul

Location: End of the Earth, then take a left (Port Angeles, WA).

Postby jako on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:12 am

The thumbnail list was in itself awe inspiring and showed off how great CC as a community and a site really is...the new way totally eliminates any sense of that.

All you're given now is some text and a stupid drop down with check boxes. Totally bland, boring and redundant. A step back in my opinion to improving CC.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:11 am

lackattack wrote:Perhaps we add a browse link that opens up a popup window with all map thumbnails?

Why select all maps, when you can select none? Are the instructions not clear?
if you have no preference for a particular criterion, just leave those boxes unchecked

This idea's going well, but I would like to see a "De-Select All" option on the map drop-down list. I accidentally clicked one #-o and my game search wouldn't work until I refreshed the page.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Fuggazi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:31 am

The new game finder look really is stupid. Bloody ridiculous having to go through countless searches in order to find a few games to join. I will definitely not be renewing my subscription.
Cook Fuggazi

Postby Allerian on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:49 am

Reading through this thread taught me that the change "helps CC pros point harvest more effectively". Wait, what?

CC appears to be about something other than enjoying a risk-like game. Disappointing. :-s
Private 1st Class Allerian

Postby max is gr8 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:27 am

I prefer tick boxes to be honest, I think the categorising would be the way to go, with the following:

"Geographical - Real World" - Classic
"Geographical - Fictitious" - Disc world
"Non-Geographical" - Dungeons of Draknor

"Classic Style" - USA (Simple Conquering)
"Simple Changes" - Asia (one use of the one way attack), USApocalypse (negative bonuses)
"Non-Classic Style" i.e. extreme game play changes (Circus Maximus, Draknor etc.)
"Feudal Style" (can't think of a proper name for it) - New World, AoR maps, Feudal War etc.

"Small Maps" - Doodle
"Large Maps" - World 2.1

"Current World" - Luxembourg
"Historic" - WWII

"Continental" - we have one for every continent except Australasia, and Antarctica

Rather than using difficulty level use the historic content. Possibly in future allow frequent map-makers to have their own tab, so Cairnswick could have a tab, as could Widow Maker
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Natewolfman on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:32 am

max is gr8 wrote:I prefer tick boxes to be honest, I think the categorising would be the way to go, with the following:

"Geographical - Real World" - Classic
"Geographical - Fictitious" - Disc world
"Non-Geographical" - Dungeons of Draknor

"Classic Style" - USA (Simple Conquering)
"Simple Changes" - Asia (one use of the one way attack), USApocalypse (negative bonuses)
"Non-Classic Style" i.e. extreme game play changes (Circus Maximus, Draknor etc.)
"Feudal Style" (can't think of a proper name for it) - New World, AoR maps, Feudal War etc.

"Small Maps" - Doodle
"Large Maps" - World 2.1

"Current World" - Luxembourg
"Historic" - WWII

"Continental" - we have one for every continent except Australasia, and Antarctica

Rather than using difficulty level use the historic content. Possibly in future allow frequent map-makers to have their own tab, so Cairnswick could have a tab, as could Widow Maker

I place my support 100% behind this :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby thedestro on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:07 am

I liked the old way better. The scroll box looks unappealing not to mention it takes longer to find/start a game if you just want to browse through the maps.
Why the change? Less load on server or something?
Sergeant 1st Class thedestro

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:32 am

The new game start is a ton better. The only reason people are complaining is because they actually have to think about the alphabet.

As for the game finder... I never use that function for multiple maps, but I can see how it can be annoying.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:39 am

The Neon Peon wrote:The only reason people are complaining is because they actually have to think about the alphabet.

:lol: :lol:
I disagree slightly:
People are willing to put the brainpower into taking over the world and it's subcontinents etc, but are not willing to scroll down a list ?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby sully800 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 pm

The only reason people are complaining is because people don't know how to use ctrl (and the lack of a gallery showing all maps at once.

I swear every other complaint is I can't select multiple maps or I can't deselect a map. This seems obvious to lack and others who are familiar with using ctrl in browsing files but I guess that is not a universal knowledge and needs more explanation.
Major sully800

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:29 pm

sully800 wrote:The only reason people are complaining is because people don't know how to use ctrl (and the lack of a gallery showing all maps at once.

I swear every other complaint is I can't select multiple maps or I can't deselect a map. This seems obvious to lack and others who are familiar with using ctrl in browsing files but I guess that is not a universal knowledge and needs more explanation.

We now have a multiple select reminder, and a link allowing you to view all of the maps !

Thanks Lack ;)
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby lackattack on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

On the Start A Game form I added a link to browse all maps, and fixed the Alexander's Empire bug.

On the Game Finder form I also added a link to browse all maps, and instructions on selecting multiple maps.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Fuggazi wrote:The new game finder look really is stupid. Bloody ridiculous having to go through countless searches in order to find a few games to join. I will definitely not be renewing my subscription.

You now have instructions as to how you select multiple maps, I don't see any problem with this whatsoever; and these improvements are steadily making up for the recent issues (with the Classic map, and so on).
;)
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby W F Crappeshotte on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:10 pm

Awful change. I like to play on half a dozen "favourite" maps, and having to repeatedly scroll down through the list and pick them out is tiresome in the extreme. This has definitely made things more awkward.
Captain W F Crappeshotte

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions