Consolidate map list [Done]

Suggestions that have made it through the grind, and have become integrated into the site!

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: Consolidate map list [Done]

Postby jwzirul on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:20 am

Can't say I am a fan of the new look. Looking at the thumbnails is how I pick which games to start. I like the idea of making this a preference. Is that possible?
Sergeant 1st Class jwzirul

Location: End of the Earth, then take a left (Port Angeles, WA).
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby jako on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:12 am

The thumbnail list was in itself awe inspiring and showed off how great CC as a community and a site really is...the new way totally eliminates any sense of that.

All you're given now is some text and a stupid drop down with check boxes. Totally bland, boring and redundant. A step back in my opinion to improving CC.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:11 am

lackattack wrote:Perhaps we add a browse link that opens up a popup window with all map thumbnails?

Why select all maps, when you can select none? Are the instructions not clear?
if you have no preference for a particular criterion, just leave those boxes unchecked

This idea's going well, but I would like to see a "De-Select All" option on the map drop-down list. I accidentally clicked one #-o and my game search wouldn't work until I refreshed the page.
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby Fuggazi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:31 am

The new game finder look really is stupid. Bloody ridiculous having to go through countless searches in order to find a few games to join. I will definitely not be renewing my subscription.
Cook Fuggazi

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Allerian on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:49 am

Reading through this thread taught me that the change "helps CC pros point harvest more effectively". Wait, what?

CC appears to be about something other than enjoying a risk-like game. Disappointing. :-s
Private 1st Class Allerian

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby max is gr8 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:27 am

I prefer tick boxes to be honest, I think the categorising would be the way to go, with the following:

"Geographical - Real World" - Classic
"Geographical - Fictitious" - Disc world
"Non-Geographical" - Dungeons of Draknor

"Classic Style" - USA (Simple Conquering)
"Simple Changes" - Asia (one use of the one way attack), USApocalypse (negative bonuses)
"Non-Classic Style" i.e. extreme game play changes (Circus Maximus, Draknor etc.)
"Feudal Style" (can't think of a proper name for it) - New World, AoR maps, Feudal War etc.

"Small Maps" - Doodle
"Large Maps" - World 2.1

"Current World" - Luxembourg
"Historic" - WWII

"Continental" - we have one for every continent except Australasia, and Antarctica

Rather than using difficulty level use the historic content. Possibly in future allow frequent map-makers to have their own tab, so Cairnswick could have a tab, as could Widow Maker
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby Natewolfman on Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:32 am

max is gr8 wrote:I prefer tick boxes to be honest, I think the categorising would be the way to go, with the following:

"Geographical - Real World" - Classic
"Geographical - Fictitious" - Disc world
"Non-Geographical" - Dungeons of Draknor

"Classic Style" - USA (Simple Conquering)
"Simple Changes" - Asia (one use of the one way attack), USApocalypse (negative bonuses)
"Non-Classic Style" i.e. extreme game play changes (Circus Maximus, Draknor etc.)
"Feudal Style" (can't think of a proper name for it) - New World, AoR maps, Feudal War etc.

"Small Maps" - Doodle
"Large Maps" - World 2.1

"Current World" - Luxembourg
"Historic" - WWII

"Continental" - we have one for every continent except Australasia, and Antarctica

Rather than using difficulty level use the historic content. Possibly in future allow frequent map-makers to have their own tab, so Cairnswick could have a tab, as could Widow Maker

I place my support 100% behind this :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (1)

Postby thedestro on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:07 am

I liked the old way better. The scroll box looks unappealing not to mention it takes longer to find/start a game if you just want to browse through the maps.
Why the change? Less load on server or something?
Sergeant 1st Class thedestro

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:32 am

The new game start is a ton better. The only reason people are complaining is because they actually have to think about the alphabet.

As for the game finder... I never use that function for multiple maps, but I can see how it can be annoying.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:39 am

The Neon Peon wrote:The only reason people are complaining is because they actually have to think about the alphabet.

:lol: :lol:
I disagree slightly:
People are willing to put the brainpower into taking over the world and it's subcontinents etc, but are not willing to scroll down a list ?
Colonel ManBungalow

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby sully800 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 pm

The only reason people are complaining is because people don't know how to use ctrl (and the lack of a gallery showing all maps at once.

I swear every other complaint is I can't select multiple maps or I can't deselect a map. This seems obvious to lack and others who are familiar with using ctrl in browsing files but I guess that is not a universal knowledge and needs more explanation.
Major sully800

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:29 pm

sully800 wrote:The only reason people are complaining is because people don't know how to use ctrl (and the lack of a gallery showing all maps at once.

I swear every other complaint is I can't select multiple maps or I can't deselect a map. This seems obvious to lack and others who are familiar with using ctrl in browsing files but I guess that is not a universal knowledge and needs more explanation.

We now have a multiple select reminder, and a link allowing you to view all of the maps !

Thanks Lack ;)
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby lackattack on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

On the Start A Game form I added a link to browse all maps, and fixed the Alexander's Empire bug.

On the Game Finder form I also added a link to browse all maps, and instructions on selecting multiple maps.
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Fuggazi wrote:The new game finder look really is stupid. Bloody ridiculous having to go through countless searches in order to find a few games to join. I will definitely not be renewing my subscription.

You now have instructions as to how you select multiple maps, I don't see any problem with this whatsoever; and these improvements are steadily making up for the recent issues (with the Classic map, and so on).
;)
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby W F Crappeshotte on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:10 pm

Awful change. I like to play on half a dozen "favourite" maps, and having to repeatedly scroll down through the list and pick them out is tiresome in the extreme. This has definitely made things more awkward.
Major W F Crappeshotte

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Implemented Suggestions