Conquer Club

Treasures of Galápagos [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Treasures of Galapagos adjustment

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Treasures of Galapagos

I recently played about a dozen games on this map after getting over the initial mess that was created with the adjustments.

What i found was that the luggers weren't used in any of the games that i played in.
The 10 neutrals on them was too high for anyone to conquer and everyone simply conquered across the map.

These were supposed to be an integral part of the gameplay and act like airports that could attack each other, especially for the larger games. I understand there is going to be no happy medium in some of these games to cater for every player combination, but i now feel that the 10 neutrals is way too high, and i would like open discussion on how others feel about this.

My recommendation would be to drop them back to 6 neutrals so they can still be used.

What do others feel?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Treasures of Galapagos adjustment

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:20 pm

I agree completely, since the change i never have seen a need to use the luggers, and before i used them every time
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby LB Ninja on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:00 pm

right now i think this is my favorite map to play.. i play on it a lot.. and personally i like the lugers how they are.. i like that the person has to go across the map to find someone.. the games will be too short and easy if we reduce any of the numbers on it.. so personally i think they should stay at ten or be less of a bonus
Major LB Ninja

Postby Qwert on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:21 pm

These need to present in Galapagos topic right?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby neanderpaul14 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:29 pm

I completely agree I've played a number of games on this map and have never tried for the luggers due to the 10 armies present on each
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby gimil on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:10 pm

qwert wrote:These need to present in Galapagos topic right?

Sorry cairns, qwert is right. Discussion for changes should be in the map development thread you know that. If you want we can get a shadow topic set up to bring people into the thread from the main foundry like we did with das scholb.

[merged]
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

[POLL] Treasures of Galapagos adjustment

Postby cairnswk on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:20 am

gimil wrote:
qwert wrote:These need to present in Galapagos topic right?

Sorry cairns, qwert is right. Discussion for changes should be in the map development thread you know that. If you want we can get a shadow topic set up to bring people into the thread from the main foundry like we did with das scholb.

[merged]

Qwert may be right Gimil, but i am really pissed that you merged this thread in all your efforts to be oh so correct...you managed to lose the poll that was running in the Foundry Discussion thread and now we have to start all over again...and not even an apology for losing it. Unforgivable! :twisted:
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:58 pm

cairnswk wrote:Treasures of Galapagos

I recently played about a dozen games on this map after getting over the initial mess that was created with the adjustments.

What i found was that the luggers weren't used in any of the games that i played in.
The 10 neutrals on them was too high for anyone to conquer and everyone simply conquered across the map.

These were supposed to be an integral part of the gameplay and act like airports that could attack each other, especially for the larger games. I understand there is going to be no happy medium in some of these games to cater for every player combination, but i now feel that the 10 neutrals is way too high, and i would like open discussion on how others feel about this.

My recommendation would be to drop them back to 6 neutrals so they can still be used.

What do others feel?

Natewolfman wrote:I agree completely, since the change i never have seen a need to use the luggers, and before i used them every time

LB Ninja wrote:right now i think this is my favorite map to play.. i play on it a lot.. and personally i like the lugers how they are.. i like that the person has to go across the map to find someone.. the games will be too short and easy if we reduce any of the numbers on it.. so personally i think they should stay at ten or be less of a bonus

neanderpaul14 wrote:I completely agree I've played a number of games on this map and have never tried for the luggers due to the 10 armies present on each

Sorry peoples, but the poll has to be re-done.
If you could vote again please, if you feel like it. ;)
Private cairnswk

Re: [POLL for luggers] Treasures of Galápagos [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 am

Any votes please??
Private cairnswk

Postby Lincecum on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:27 pm

I have voted...all I ask is that if there is a change, it be done in an orderly manner and with advance notice to the community - especially as this is no longer a "beta" map. This is my home map for an ongoing tournament and it would suck to have a change in the middle of an important game(s)
Captain Lincecum

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Lincecum wrote:I have voted...all I ask is that if there is a change, it be done in an orderly manner and with advance notice to the community - especially as this is no longer a "beta" map. This is my home map for an ongoing tournament and it would suck to have a change in the middle of an important game(s)

noted Lincecum...and thanks for your input. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Blitzaholic on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:41 pm

cairnswk wrote:Any votes please??

YES cairns please lower it some

I suggest 7 and this is what I voted

but, would be ok with 6, but I think 7 is perfect
General Blitzaholic

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Blitzaholic wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Any votes please??

YES cairns please lower it some

I suggest 7 and this is what I voted

but, would be ok with 6, but I think 7 is perfect

Thanks for your input Blitzaholic...and everyone else who voted!
Private cairnswk

Postby Joodoo on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:33 am

while searching one of the games played on this map, I found out that you could get negative bonuses for some territories...
why is that the case? does it have anything to do with the fresh water?
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby SirSebstar on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:11 am

did you ever get a reply to this question? why is the water so important for survival?
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Joodoo wrote:while searching one of the games played on this map, I found out that you could get negative bonuses for some territories...
why is that the case? does it have anything to do with the fresh water?

That may have been possible with the old negative lugger bonus, but all the bonuses are now positive numbers so i don't think this applies any longer.

SirSebstar wrote:did you ever get a reply to this question? why is the water so important for survival?

The water is required for survival because if at sea you can't drink salt water...it makes you sick. On These islands the only water available on some of the islands is rain water which is doesn't fall too often.
Private cairnswk

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:00 am

is it possible to find out how the placement of all the neutrals is, preferably by a pic in the first post?
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:17 pm

SirSebstar wrote:is it possible to find out how the placement of all the neutrals is, preferably by a pic in the first post?

Done as requested.
Private cairnswk

Re: Treasures of Galápagos [Quenched]

Postby Erland on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:40 am

I think it's time to reduce the number of neutrals on the luggers from 10 to 7 or maybe 8. I'd prefer 7. The problem is that the luggers are never a factor in trips or quads games. I used to play a lot of singles and occasionally I'd take a lugger in them, but in general I think they were over-nerfed when you changed them from 5 to 10. Just a suggestion . . . I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Erland
Captain Erland

Postby Seamus76 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 am

I absolutely agree. It's been one of my favorite maps, and I actually do pretty well on it, but I may have taken a lugger once in all the games I have played. Seven does seem like a good number to consider.
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 am

Yes Erland, i am still around.
Before we change any neutral amounts, you're going to have to have many more than two people post in this thread for the change.
Two people is nowhere near enough to support this sort of change.
Regards
Private cairnswk

Postby Erland on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Hey, I just noticed a poll on the previous page of the thread where you yourself said you thought the luggers should be lowered to 7 and a lot of people seemed to agree! What ever became of that?? . . . Is it too late for me to cast my vote? heh heh

Erland
Captain Erland

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Erland wrote:Hey, I just noticed a poll on the previous page of the thread where you yourself said you thought the luggers should be lowered to 7 and a lot of people seemed to agree! What ever became of that?? . . . Is it too late for me to cast my vote? heh heh

Erland

Erland, yes there was a poll, but because it was over 2 years ago, i have forgotten the results, and my calling for voting, seems that not many bothered. Seeing you are the first in over 2 years to call for change, it's not that i am unwilling to change it, but you must present as stated more people calling for this change to occur, and i mean many more posts in this thread. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Landain on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:05 am

Lowering the Luggers to 7 is a good idea. I play Galapagos on a regular basis in trips or quads. We rarely if ever use the Luggers. The Luggers do seem to have more of an impact on dubs or standard than in trips and quads.
"If you defend everywhere, you are weak everywhere."
--Sun Tzu
Hi Score: 2261
Captain Landain

Postby stahrgazer on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:31 am

7 seems reasonable and probably an easy change. As it is now, I never use luggers, not even in doubles; I tried them in some early games and quickly concluded, "totally not worth it!"

About the only time I could imagine luggers come into play is for assassin or terminator, where luggers give someone the chance to shoot across the board to a specific targeted opponent without need to assault non-targeted opponents. Someone who plays those types of games on this map may suggest that even then, luggers are rarely needed (would depend on the drop.)

cairnswk, I love everything else about this map, but I really did wonder if you'd put luggers at 10 neutrals as a ploy to lure noobs into trying for them :lol:

As it stands, Galapagos just does NOT have the balance of strategic options that your other maps have, and that's a shame; because something I love about your other maps is that none of them have, "one ploy only, sink or swim based on dice," game play. Galapagos kind of does :?

Another option, but much crazier, to make luggers more viable at 10 is to put at least double the regions between other bonuses and reefs (which would also double the regions between reefs outside of luggers, thus making luggers a more viable reach option).

Between the two, I'd suggest lowering the luggers.

If I recall, the option suggested before was to lower luggers to 5, I think that's a little too low. I think at the time I glanced at the thread but hadn't tried Galapagos so didn't vote; by the time I could vote, having tried the game a few times, the vote was over. 7 seems a good number.
Sergeant stahrgazer

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas