Conquer Club

Portland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Rose City (Portland, OR) Map - Third Draft posted

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:35 pm

MrBenn wrote:Beaverton & Nob Hill... are these real place names?

Haha! Yes, of course! All of the names on the map are real.

Beaverton is a huge suburb of Portland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaverton,_Oregon

Nob Hill is a fancy section of Downtown Portland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nob_Hill,_Portland,_Oregon
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Re: Rose City (Portland, OR) Map - Third Draft posted

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:58 pm

its cooliesh
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Re: Rose City (Portland, OR) Map - Fourth Draft posted

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:03 pm

Fourth Draft update: Made some minor changes regarding coloration. I've also eliminated the confusing park situation in Downtown. Now only "Old Town" is a 'park territory'. I've changed Forest Park's border color to signify that the entire territory is indeed a park.

Smaller Map:
Click image to enlarge.

Larger Map:
Click image to enlarge.

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:15 pm

so whats next? I've responded to all the feedback thus far and haven't received anymore.

I'm rather happy with the map as it is and I think I've addressed any potential confusion or gameplay problems.

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:06 pm

I like this map - there's something 'kitsch' about it ;-)

The following is a list of my observations/thoughts, in no particular order:

1. It took me while to figure out that they must be territories on the MAX lines? That really isn't too obvious - especially as none of them are named!

2. There are a lot of 'busy' looking maps in the works right now, and this is one of them. The green park symbols vary in shape and size, and I'm not sure whether that is supposed to be a park in Old Town? It took me a long time to find Forest Park as it doesn;t have one of the green squares on it :?

3. Once I found it, I realised that Forest Park is essential for any of the park bonuses, which makes that terirtory more valuable than anywhere else - particularly as it also has a bicycle on it.... I'd be inclined to move some of the symbols around so that each square has only one symbol...

4. The grid/road effect on the Downtown territories might look better if it was toned down a bit.

5. What does OMSI stand for? What are the different Universities?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby psilotum on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:50 pm

I was just reading viewtopic.php?f=10&t=40463 and it looks like Mr Benn (?) is the one who can give this map the Draft Stamp to move on to the main foundry.

To spell out the initalizations:
OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
UofP - University of Portland
PCC - Portland Community College
OHSU - Oregon Health Sciences University
PSU - Portland State University

Re: Forest Park
Thematically, it is very appropriate to have a bike in Forest Park, as mountain biking is a very popular activity in that park. Perhaps making Forest Park the equivalent of 2 regular park territories (and removing the requirement of holding it to obtain a bonus) would lessen the importance of that one territory?

Re: the MAX line
What if the stops were made to look like rain shelters? However, currently the triangular spikes coming from each stop indicate which territories they attack. There is a simplicity of functionality to that design.
Major psilotum

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Hmmm... some very good points.

MrBenn wrote:I like this map - there's something 'kitsch' about it ;-)

Thanks. (I guess). I was kind of going for a "tourism brochure" look - one of those fold-out maps that both simplifies and extols the many virtues of the city you are meant to visit.

MrBenn wrote:1. It took me while to figure out that they must be territories on the MAX lines? That really isn't too obvious - especially as none of them are named!

I actually modeled the MAX lines similar to how they were done on the NYC map. The primary difference being that each of those stops is contained within a single territory, whereas mine straddle two or more. I think my only other option is to give them each a number?

MrBenn wrote:2. There are a lot of 'busy' looking maps in the works right now, and this is one of them. The green park symbols vary in shape and size, and I'm not sure whether that is supposed to be a park in Old Town? It took me a long time to find Forest Park as it doesn;t have one of the green squares on it :?

Yes - that is a park in Old Town. I was hoping the coloration would tie it in with the other parks.
Re: Forest Park - The previous version of the map did have a green square in it, but another poster said that it was more confusing that way. The idea is that the territory of Forest Park is a park (it actually takes up that much space on a real map too!). I'll keep brainstorming this one until I find a happy medium.

MrBenn wrote:3. Once I found it, I realised that Forest Park is essential for any of the park bonuses, which makes that terirtory more valuable than anywhere else - particularly as it also has a bicycle on it.... I'd be inclined to move some of the symbols around so that each square has only one symbol...

There are a few other maps that have similar gameplay (where one territory makes several others valuable) - for example the "Warden" in Prison Riot or the "Throne" in Siege, the "Leader" in Drug War. However - I am not opposed to changing this. I'll give it some more thought.

MrBenn wrote:5. What does OMSI stand for? What are the different Universities?

OMSI = Oregon Museum of Science & Industry. Early on, I had several Portlanders tell me it was sacrilegious to not include it on the map, but I'm not particularly attached to it being a bonus. I may end up just sticking it in the water and removing it from the bonuses.

PSU = Portland State University
UofP = University of Portland
OHSU = Oregon Health & Science University
PCC = Portland Community College

Thanks for all your input! I will start working on another draft in the near future and see if I can't clear up some of the confusing elements.

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:02 pm

psilotum wrote:Perhaps making Forest Park the equivalent of 2 regular park territories (and removing the requirement of holding it to obtain a bonus) would lessen the importance of that one territory?

That's a good idea. I think I'll try that next.

Postby lostatlimbo on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:02 pm

Fifth Draft update: Forest Park is no longer required for a park bonus - now all parks are equal. Moved some bonuses around for a more even spread. Added #s to all MAX stops (except Transit Center). Altered some bonus amounts for consistency. Also added some texture to Forest Park and a map header and toned down Downtown's road grid for look and style improvement.

Smaller Map:
Click image to enlarge.

Re: Rose City (Portland, OR) Map - Fifth Draft posted

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:00 pm

I actually modeled the MAX lines similar to how they were done on the NYC map. The primary difference being that each of those stops is contained within a single territory, whereas mine straddle two or more. I think my only other option is to give them each a number?

having the lines attached to two territories will make naming them harder - the way that NYC clarifies them is by using the 'Station' prefix in the XML, something that is harder to achieve here

MrBenn wrote:2. There are a lot of 'busy' looking maps in the works right now, and this is one of them. The green park symbols vary in shape and size, and I'm not sure whether that is supposed to be a park in Old Town? It took me a long time to find Forest Park as it doesn;t have one of the green squares on it :?

Yes - that is a park in Old Town. I was hoping the coloration would tie it in with the other parks.
Re: Forest Park - The previous version of the map did have a green square in it, but another poster said that it was more confusing that way. The idea is that the territory of Forest Park is a park (it actually takes up that much space on a real map too!). I'll keep brainstorming this one until I find a happy medium.

The square around the Forwest Park name helps, as does making the Old Town park more boxy.

MrBenn wrote:3. Once I found it, I realised that Forest Park is essential for any of the park bonuses, which makes that terirtory more valuable than anywhere else - particularly as it also has a bicycle on it.... I'd be inclined to move some of the symbols around so that each square has only one symbol...

There are a few other maps that have similar gameplay (where one territory makes several others valuable) - for example the "Warden" in Prison Riot or the "Throne" in Siege, the "Leader" in Drug War. However - I am not opposed to changing this. I'll give it some more thought.

How many territories are there here? [goes to look]... 42... so it's in the mid-range sized maps... the examples you gave make much better strategic use of the 'special' territory in terms of placement and/or accessibility... I'm still uncertain here :?

Anyway, you're heading in the right direction - before things move up a gear, it would be nice to see wider support for this from the community at large ;-)

[Advanced Draft]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:51 pm

MrBenn wrote:Anyway, you're heading in the right direction - before things move up a gear, it would be nice to see wider support for this from the community at large ;-)
[Advanced Draft]

Yay! I guess that means I need to start promoting it?

MrBenn wrote:having the lines attached to two territories will make naming them harder - the way that NYC clarifies them is by using the 'Station' prefix in the XML, something that is harder to achieve here

I agree. I think the simple numbering system works. Maybe I should make those larger?

MrBenn wrote:the examples you gave make much better strategic use of the 'special' territory in terms of placement and/or accessibility... I'm still uncertain here :?

Now that I am treating Forest Park like all other parks is this still an issue? It is a much less important space now.

Postby flexmaster33 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 am

I like this a lot...very nice lost...can't wait to have a PDX map to choose...perhaps a new favorite for tourneys and such. Plus, we need some more West Coast representation on here. Nice job...I wouldn't change anything.
Current tourneys -- 2023-24 College Basketball, Arms Race! Best of Five, Conquer the World, 2024 Major League Soccer

High rank: Major. Place: 1,150. Points: 2,093
Lieutenant flexmaster33

Postby Astoria on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Hello, All and, especially, Oregonians! (nice to realize there are more of you in CC than i thought)

Very Very Nice Job, Lostatlimbo! =D>
It is Great to see how far you went with PDX map. I like a lot what you chose to be symbols of the City on the map. Zoo, Parks, Garden, Universities and Biking Areas are definitely very important and significant parts of the City. OMSI is also definitely great place to go once you are in the City(as traveler).

I really like how the map is. But there are few points i would like share:
1. Arenas. Lostatlimbo, you mentioned earlier that you had been thinking whether to include TrailBlazers arena or not. So here is what i think, -when speaking of PDX, we just cant miss Rose Garden and PGE Park. I mean, you can see Rose Garden(RG) almost from the every part of the Downtown(unless there is a Skyscraper on your way;)) and it is always so great to look at it. Yeah, perhaps for someone(older generations) the design of is a bit too modern, but noone can stay indifferent. RG and Bridges(see below) are the Symbols of the City in architectural sense, because of its unique design, at least i think so. PGE Park. It is more than a park, no matter whether you Beaver's or for Duck's fan.(well, mb a bit it does). But each time passing it i have a feeling i can't explain. It is like PGE Park is alive no matter whether it is hot game there and all the seats are taken or whether it is 12pm when it is quiet and noone is inside. It is like it has a sole. And a heart.
Yes, i am aware about some copyright issues we can face here. Well, ok we cant use photos and images. Can we use their names? I hope so. Or mb we can use some kind of drownings of our own? They should not be exact copies with some photoshop filters of course. Or mb we can simply use a Basketball Ball and a Baseball Ball? Just think of it, these two would be neat points on the Map for sure.

2. Bridges. It is not a secret that Portland's another famous nickname is Bridgetown. Indeed, there are plenty of them here and wow they are really marvelous. I really love them. I can stare and stare and stare. Especially, Hawthorne and Morrison ones. I am much more fascinated by Bridges than Sport Arenas so i better go straight to my point).
First of all, i really understand it is hard to work with bridges(whether you are making map in CC or working on a real one in real life) in general. But it would be great, just to see them marked different on the map and a legend with their names. Well, mb that's too much and just not the way you see this map. But, please, consider using Bridges as alternative to MAX's stops if you would face difficulties when working on Bonus system for the metro line. Bridges. There are plenty of them(well, 6 on this map) and it wont be hard to make a Bonus system for them. Like 1 army for holding 3 Bridges etc. Just keep it in mind, Bridgetown Dweller!

3. Colors. They are good and i like them. Anyhow, i think you should make a bigger difference between North and Southeast. Even though they dont have mutual borders. Southeast should be "pinker".
And then Northeast. Don't you think it should be real Orange instead of Dark Orange. Or whatever color you wanna see it. I mean, this is City of Roses, of flowers. And flowers are bright and colorful and beautiful. I mean, i would understand that kind of color in Seattle or another city or town( take Astoria for example ;) ) where it often rains. Well, you got the point, don't you?

Looking Forward Very Much on this One and will be Glad to Participate or Help! :)
Lieutenant Astoria

Postby lostatlimbo on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Astoria - thanks for all your feedback. Very in-depth!

... we just cant miss Rose Garden and PGE Park.

I've had a lot of requests for including Rose Garden, but I still believe the "cons" of adding these outweigh the "pros".

a) As Mr. Benn noted, the map is already very busy. I could squeeze the Rose Garden into Irvington, but trying to fit PGE into Goose Hollow would require a major re-design.
b) In my opinion, adding them to the map does not improve gameplay. There are already many bonuses options and I couldn't fit them into existing bonus structure. It would be a new bonus for two territories?

When I look at comparable city maps none of them show arenas. The Yankees stadium is arguably the most historic park in the US and yet the NYC map does not display it. Same goes for the Habs' ice rink in Montreal. There is no Candlestick Park in San Francisco (even though the region is shown) & no Mariners, Seahawks or Key Arena in Puget Sound. If adding PGE and Rose Garden improved gameplay, I would be all for it, but I have not seen a case made for that aspect.

It is not a secret that Portland's another famous nickname is Bridgetown. Indeed, there are plenty of them here and wow they are really marvelous. I really love them. I can stare and stare and stare.

On this, I completely agree! I love our bridges. St. John's is my personal favorite.
...it would be great, just to see them marked different on the map and a legend with their names. But, please, consider using Bridges as alternative to MAX's stops if you would face difficulties when working on Bonus system for the metro line.

I'll think this one over. While it would be fairly simple to set up a bridge bonus system, I still worry that it would further clutter the map. I don't think I'd be willing to abandon the MAX element, but at the very least, I promise I will put some more effort into the visual look of the bridges and pay some homage to our alternative nickname!
3. Colors. They are good and i like them. Anyhow, i think you should make a bigger difference between North and Southeast. Even though they dont have mutual borders. Southeast should be "pinker".

I can do that.
And then Northeast. Don't you think it should be real Orange instead of Dark Orange.

I tried to keep the colors in a similar hue. I will play around with the colors, but I think combining several bright colors would be too overpowering to look at for long periods. I may be wrong though, so I'll give it a shot!
I mean, i would understand that kind of color in Seattle or another city or town( take Astoria for example ) where it often rains.

Don't forget - it is quite rainy in Portland too! (especially during this season)
Last edited by lostatlimbo on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby BeakerWMA on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Like this map, can't wait to try it.
I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Captain BeakerWMA

Re: Rose City Map - 6th Draft posted

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:55 pm

Sixth Draft update: Made some very minor changes - chose clearer font for MAX stop markers. Toned down some of the stronger fonts in the legend. Made SE pinker (per Astoria's suggestion).

Smaller Map:
Click image to enlarge.

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:05 pm

...it would be great, just to see them marked different on the map and a legend with their names. But, please, consider using Bridges as alternative to MAX's stops if you would face difficulties when working on Bonus system for the metro line. Bridges.

I earnestly tried to think of a way to pay some homage to Portland's bridges here, but changing the look makes it more difficult for non-Portland players to identify them as consistent gameplay icons. I also can't find room on the map for a bridge legend without making everything else significantly smaller. I'm still open to other ideas on this.

I'd love to make a map that extols all of the Rose City's many virtues, but cannot alienate other players around the world who are more interested in a fun, usable map than details about our bridge system or our arenas. I guess they will just have to come visit the city to really enjoy & understand the Bridgetown nickname.

Postby Astoria on Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:01 am

lostatlimbo wrote: Made SE pinker

it really is better this way(to my mind).

lostatlimbo wrote:I'd love to make a map that extols all of the Rose City's many virtues, but cannot alienate other players around the world who are more interested in a fun, usable map than details about our bridge system or our arenas. I guess they will just have to come visit the city to really enjoy & understand the Bridgetown nickname.

good idea =D>
Lieutenant Astoria

Postby MrBenn on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:24 pm

I still have concerns about the appeal of this map to a wide audience... let's see if moving you up a level helps some?

Welcome to the Foundry Proper... Onwards and Upwards!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:34 am

MrBenn wrote:Welcome to the Foundry Proper... Onwards and Upwards!

Rock on!

Postby iancanton on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:38 am

good start, though u must be careful with ur bonuses. looking at a 2-player game, it's certain that at least one player (if we include the neutral "player") will have at least 2 universities at the start, so the bonus ought to be +1 for holding 3 universities, not +1 for 2. similarly for the bike lanes: in a 2-player game, someone is certain to have at least 2 bike lanes and very likely to have 3 at the start, so the small bonus ought to be +1 for holding 4 bike lanes, not +1 for 2. by a similar argument (though this one isn't so obvious), the 4 public parks bonus ought to be for holding 5. conversely, each of the bonuses for holding all of something (such as all 4 symbols) can be increased, since this is difficult to do.

try to put in some impassables such as trees, walls or highways since, at the moment, nearly every territory is a border territory. the biggest impassable, the river, can be given a greater effect by removing one or two bridges. the least well-known max stations can also be removed to create impassables.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Rose City [D] (v 6, pg 3)

Postby bmatson on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:43 pm

Looks very good. I think this one will be a good play.
Private 1st Class bmatson

Postby lostatlimbo on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:28 pm

great feedback, ian!

I'll try to post another draft with your suggestions this weekend. thanks.

re: the Max stations - since those are all territories - they are much less passable than bridges, since you would have to attack 'through' the Max station, rather than 'over' it. I will still look at dropping a couple, but I'm also told the current 42 territory count is ideal for even drops.

Re: Rose City [D] (v 7, pg 4)

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 am

Seventh Draft update:
Made significant layout changes.
Removed some MAX stops (#3 & #11 gone)
Added new territories in SE (split Belmont into Hawthorne; split Clinton into Mt. Scott).
Re-designed NW & SW (removed Multnomah Village; added Sylvan Heights)
Re-routed Blue Line MAX through Downtown.
Added impassables (Railroads dividing territories in N, NE & NW; water (a resevoir) & an obstruction in SE).
(Debating on how to signify these in the legend)
Restructured Park & Bike bonuses and District bonuses according to re-structuring.
REMOVED "School" bonus completely.
Re-colored Downtown.
Re-did legend
Seventh Draft addendum:
Extended NE railroad and raised bonus to +6
Added "Detours" section to legend to show impassables.
Changed SE reservoir image to look more like a body of water

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/lostatlimbo/portland9.jpg
Last edited by lostatlimbo on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rose City [D] (v 7.5, pg 4) - big update

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:11 pm

There's something up with your borders … instead of a straight line they're more like pixelated-type ones kinda like _—¯ instead of / if you know what I mean … look at Slough's bottom border.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas