Conquer Club

Re: WWI: Gallipoli [9.9.15] V39 (p22) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: WWI - Gallipoli V5(P2) - Small Changes

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:33 am

The Neon Peon wrote:I disagree with the suggested gameplay. I would think it is break out, kill the people next to you, then bombard. If you break out and start off going to land, I don't think you are going to be that successful when others come at you from behind.

OK, you can play whatever gameplay you want. :)
The suggested gameplay is there to indicate what the real battle was like and it is only "a suggestion".
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: WWI - Gallipoli V5(P2) - Small Changes

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:28 pm

cairnswk wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:If you're really gonna make the beaches mean something, they seem very overshadowed by some of the army shadows. Of course, you have the lines so no biggie, unless you have some thing in mind ;)

Sorry .44, i don't understand what you're on about here.

I mean, the beaches aren't too visible with the army circles on top of 'em + there isn't much contrast between them and the other land. But it's not that big of a deal because the lines are already there (which by the way I think could be a little more apparent).
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Re: WWI - Gallipoli V6

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:31 am

Change of Software

As yhou can see from the image below, which is not yet finished conversion, i am changing the map from using Fireworks to CorelDraw.

I have long wanted to do something with Coreldraw, as it is a step towards learning Illustrator etc. but this takes time for me.

so, please, no remarks about things being missing, i will refresh the image as it becomes more complete.

Version 6 updating to continue...

Private cairnswk

Re: WWI - Gallipoli V6(P2) - Software Change

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:51 am

Mmmm, sorry had to change the sea colour
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:56 am

Wow it looks a whole lot better. Are you going to keep the glow on the left side (of the key) and not the right? To me it makes it unbalanced, but that might just be me and my bit of orderer's OCD.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:09 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Wow it looks a whole lot better. Are you going to keep the glow on the left side (of the key) and not the right? To me it makes it unbalanced, but that might just be me and my bit of orderer's OCD.

I'll probably change that on the left.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:23 am

Nobody interested in this map?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 am

Nobody interested in this map?
cairnswk wrote:Change of Software

As yhou can see from the image below, which is not yet finished conversion, i am changing the map from using Fireworks to CorelDraw.

I have long wanted to do something with Coreldraw, as it is a step towards learning Illustrator etc. but this takes time for me.

so, please, no remarks about things being missing, i will refresh the image as it becomes more complete.

Private cairnswk

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:15 pm

I am interested, don't know what's wrong with everyone else :? I did prefer the version before you changed to CorelDraw, all the colours have changed? but hey your the artist :) I think the boats are looking better. May i suggest making the text on the left side legend bolder very hard to make out ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:50 pm

cairnswk wrote:Nobody interested in this map?

cairnswk wrote:so, please, no remarks about things being missing, i will refresh the image as it becomes more complete.

Been waiting for that update. I don't like to comment on a map that is being worked on since most of the things I say are probably being done already.

But if you want comments...
You are squishing some territories in. There is plenty of room on the map and if you redraw a few borders, and get rid of maybe 5 territories maximum, the map will be far less cramped in landing areas.

Seamines should not overlap or touch the forts. Move them away from the fort, or get rid of one if you are not able to fit all of them in.

I would say that the map being cramped in some spots, especially the whole areas around the ships.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:44 pm

samuelc812 wrote:...May i suggest making the text on the left side legend bolder very hard to make out ;)

That i can look at doing for you :)

The Neon Peon wrote:...
You are squishing some territories in. There is plenty of room on the map and if you redraw a few borders, and get rid of maybe 5 territories maximum, the map will be far less cramped in landing areas.

Seamines should not overlap or touch the forts. Move them away from the fort, or get rid of one if you are not able to fit all of them in.

I would say that the map being cramped in some spots, especially the whole areas around the ships.

1. landing areas, well these were very small beaches relative to the overall area, but i will see what i can do.
2. seamlines will be examined
3. I don't think un-cramping the ships will be possible....those ships are necessary for gameplay and are part of this battle, but i'll see what i can do. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:54 pm

I like it a lot. I'm sort of confused as to which battle ships bombard what beaches and what forts bombard what ships. Also, how do the mines attack/be attacked? Also I think there is slight advntages for people starting in perdominently land regions since they get +1 autodep. where the ships get -2 also in the regions along the hellenspont there is an advantage since they are near the forts and can easily eliminate the thrat of ships in the area.

~
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Sorry to bust into your thread and not have constructive comments towards the map (besides how great it looks :lol: ), but do you hand draw all your graphics like the battleship you made?

I ask because I just purchased myself a tablet for design/photography work and have gotten into doing maps/hand drawing but am practicing before I plop anything into the forge. I'm curious because I need all the helpful advice I can get, and it looks like you use a tablet. (if not- holy crap that's amazing ;) ). If so, did you actually draw the ship 100% or did you use polygon tools to outline etc... ? A very steady hand would be required to draw it 100%, so if you did I figured I would ask for any possible advice :)
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:03 pm

lgoasklucyl wrote:Sorry to bust into your thread and not have constructive comments towards the map (besides how great it looks :lol: ), but do you hand draw all your graphics like the battleship you made?

Thanks !goasklucy! Yes i usually hand drawn all the graphics like the battelships etc.
I get an original plan from the net, then re-create that plan in vector form with suitable colouring, texture etc.

I ask because I just purchased myself a tablet for design/photography work and have gotten into doing maps/hand drawing but am practicing before I plop anything into the forge. I'm curious because I need all the helpful advice I can get, and it looks like you use a tablet. (if not- holy crap that's amazing ;) ). If so, did you actually draw the ship 100% or did you use polygon tools to outline etc... ? A very steady hand would be required to draw it 100%, so if you did I figured I would ask for any possible advice :)

i don't use a tablet. i use a mouse, and yes i have a steady hand but that also comes from using a paint-brush for canvas artwork for years.
I draw the ships at what ever size will make them look good using outline and texture fill, usually 100% of their plan size, then reduce them to size for the map.
Nearly all the aspects of my maps are vectors using pens and polygons. Things like mines and forts, tanks in Gazala etc i make up from pictures of the real thing. It helps if you also have studied perspective....vanishing point is very important in getting the gradients right for colour fills.
Thanks for asking. Good luck. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: WWI - Gallipoli V7

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:08 am

Version 7.

Ok moving along....

1. All names should be on now and all paths drawn
2. ONly thing left to add is the impassbles again.

Private cairnswk

Re: WWI - Gallipoli V7(P3) - All names in

Postby LLLUUUKKKEEE on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:08 am

You're a busy boy.........

So is there nuetral terr, is it a random drop?
How is the actual "Gallipoli" theme incorporated?
Do we start in the boats and conquer turkey?

Or am I not reading it right?

BTW, in your background story you say russian instead of russia
It's your turn...................................
Sergeant LLLUUUKKKEEE

Re: WWI - Gallipoli V5

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:11 pm

LLLUUUKKKEEE wrote:You're a busy boy.........

So is there nuetral terr, is it a random drop?
Do we start in the boats and conquer turkey?

Or am I not reading it right?

BTW, in your background story you say russian instead of russia

Above was the version (from previous page) of this map to give you an idea of the neutral starters....i simply don't have them all in on the current Coreldraw version.

Don't' understand what you're asking here...but...this is Gallipoli, it's the battle that is known as Gallipoli.
As you can see from the drop indicators, some are sea vessel starts and some are land.
the russia thing i can fix.
And yes, you're not reading it right, coz you didn't take some time to read the previous page in the thread. ;)
Private cairnswk

Re: WWI - Gallipoli V8

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:21 pm

Version 8....

1. Starting positions in
2. Battleship targets in
3. still to do -> impassable contours & villages
4. Partial revert to original colours

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: WWI - Gallipoli V8(P3) - BS Targets & Start Positions in

Postby Incandenza on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:22 am

Count me in as someone who's interested but simply hasn't the brainpower recently to comment intelligently (or on poison rome, either)... sorry, cairns, but I promise, I shall rally and be back saying smart and/or irreverent things soon enough.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm afraid I haven't had enough time or brainpower to sit down and give this the thought it needs.

It's definitely moving on, but it would be nice to gauge how much support there is before moving on to the next stage.

[Advanced Draft]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:47 pm

MrBenn wrote:I'm afraid I haven't had enough time or brainpower to sit down and give this the thought it needs.

It's definitely moving on, but it would be nice to gauge how much support there is before moving on to the next stage.

[Advanced Draft]

Well thank you for moving this one. :)

But how about moving Trafalgar into the Main Foundry so it can garner some more support, i think i've earned that move, after all it is up to version 20.
Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:03 am

I feel like the legend still needs a lot of work... you show the allied invasion craft, then talk about beaches, then go back to detailing the characteristics of the landing craft. Are landing beaches and shore positions analogous, or are shore positions any given terit that borders the water? Can the XML even do "killer reducers"? (I'm assuming that using the word "killer" implies that the terits will decay until some point, obv 2 or 1 armies in the terit, then will revert to neutral... otherwise you might want to use the word "decay"). Exactly which terits are considered "villages"?

I know, you still have more graphical stuff and impassables and flourishes and what not to add. Just throwin' some initial thoughts out there.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby LLLUUUKKKEEE on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:11 am

Yes the starting terr is clearer now, but it would be good if somehow you started as either ANZACS or turks, in order to have more of the Gallipoli battle theme.
Sergeant LLLUUUKKKEEE

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:37 am

LLLUUUKKKEEE wrote:Yes the starting terr is clearer now, but it would be good if somehow you started as either ANZACS or turks, in order to have more of the Gallipoli battle theme.

LUKE, the only way i could accomplish that is to start every odd player as Entente, and every even player as Turk. This would defeat the purpose of the random drop, and also the purpose of the new team addition where one can join certain teams.
This gives plauer one and two on a team opposite drops, which also defeats the purpose of playing as a team.
Therefore i have chosen to start every player on each area and it will be up to them to decide which side they want to play. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby LLLUUUKKKEEE on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:57 am

Yeah, it was more of a dream then a reality, I understand that it would be impossible to start as 2 sides. And if i can remember 10 years ago to high school, the gallipoli campaign was a disaster, so lucky i can start on both sides.
Sergeant LLLUUUKKKEEE

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas