Vancouver [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Vancouver Map

Postby shakeycat on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:36 pm

Are there any glaring issues or difficulties of play that I've overlooked?

Is Horseshoe Bay too isolated? Should I give it a port that can attack Tsawwassen, to make the map more circular? Or is this just the nature of the map and it should stay? (as something easy to conquer and hold, but rather worthless.)

Any cosmetic suggestions? I'm thinking it needs quite an overhaul there, to make a clean map. It seems more like a painting now than a Conquer Club map (which tend to be clean and stylized.) Maybe redraw the lines, add shadows to things.

It also seems to lack unique gameplay, being simply geographically unique. Hopefully that is enough. There has been one suggestion to make it Olympic themed. Maybe I'll draw a prototype and see if that one is preferred.
Sergeant 1st Class shakeycat

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Bavarian Raven on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:43 pm

horseshoe bay is a port of sorts. so give it port abilities 8-)
Captain Bavarian Raven

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:07 pm

me likey
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Vancouver Map [v6]

Postby shakeycat on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:31 pm

Thank you Led Zeppeliner. Is there anything you would change or improve upon?

Bavarian Raven, I added the ports and border towns again, to mix up the bonus groups and make Horseshoe Bay and Tsawwassen more accessible. Here's the latest.

Click image to enlarge.

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:36 pm

i cant tell if the port symbol is an anchor or an airplane (try making it a little clearer)
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)

Postby shakeycat on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:18 am

Actually, the intention was that it look like both an anchor AND an airplane ...

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:21 am

shakeycat wrote:Actually, the intention was that it look like both an anchor AND an airplane ...

ok but then shouldn't it not be called a port
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby Tisha on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:40 am

if you have it wrote that ports attack each other, then i don't think you really need the big glowing dots
Major Tisha

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6)
General Contribution (3)

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:51 am

I'm with Tisha. Either make the dots not stand out so much (reduce the glow, maybe size?) or just be rid of em altogether.
Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby shakeycat on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:21 am

I'll see how they look smaller, then probably strike them out altogether. I've seen the lines of attack nixed on other maps too, as unnecessary. I just felt they may make it easier, reduce the surprise when one is attacked from afar. But yes, I do mention it in the notes so .. good.

Perhaps Port is the wrong name, especially seeing as the "Port of Vancouver" isn't even on there. Maybe I'll just make the symbol clearly nautical and call it the Ferry.

In that case, does the "ferry" need to run to Sea Island? or is the Tsawwassen to Horseshoe Bay connection enough to open up those two areas? Sea Island doesn't need opening.

Re: Vancouver Map [v7]

Postby shakeycat on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Here we go, how's this? Pretty little anchor connecting Horseshoe Bay to Tsawwassen.

Click image to enlarge.

Re: Vancouver Map [v8]

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 pm

the anchors are a lot bettter, but i noticed that you took one out, any specific reason?
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby shakeycat on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:36 am

I'm curious if the Sea Island anchor was necessary. Was it? Should it stay? I have nothing against it, I just think the game plays quite differently if it is there. If you think it should stay, back it goes.

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:42 pm

i personaly think it should be there, because sea island connects to so many places, im thinking that it would be cool if it also connected to places through sea, but thats just me
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:02 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:i personaly think it should be there, because sea island connects to so many places, im thinking that it would be cool if it also connected to places through sea, but thats just me

Yes but it would be very very very hard to hold, plus the other 3 terts you have to defend to keep that bonus. I say get rid of the port there.

Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas