Conquer Club

increase speed game joining time [Done]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

increase speed game joining time [Done]

Postby skillerman on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Concise description:
    Please change the speed games setup as to kicking people out of joining games with no activity in 5 minutes while trying to get a game going. I work at my computer a lot of the day and am almost always trying to get in a big freestyle speed game, and I have to keep re-finding the game I was in after getting dropped while looking at another website for maybe 6 minutes. It's quite annoying.

Specifics:
    Anyways, I suggest increasing it to 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes. Please consider implementing this. I rarely saw deadbeating problems in these speedgames anyways before the change. Thanks.
Brigadier skillerman

Re: increase speed game joining time

Postby lackattack on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:25 pm

Who agrees that the auto-drop should be delayed until 10 minutes of idle time (instead of 5 minutes)?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby GrimReaper. on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:27 pm

agreed (its the reason i dont do speed games)
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby gameplayer on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:29 pm

I haven't seen much of a problem with deadbeating in speed games lately, I think 10 minutes would be fine.
Colonel gameplayer

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:59 pm

A lot of people had problems on the anniversary BRs because of the 5 minute limit. 10 would probably be better.
Major Night Strike

Postby HardAttack on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:31 pm

10 minute is fine to me rather than 5. Why dont we vote it ?
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby lackattack on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:47 am

How about 15 minutes and we bring it back down to 10 if there are deadbeats?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Timminz on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:49 am

lackattack wrote:How about 15 minutes and we bring it back down to 10 if there are deadbeats?

I like it.
Captain Timminz

Postby Jeff Hardy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:59 am

you can miss a turn in 5 so you should check at least once every 4 minutes
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there

Postby Phlaim on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:17 am

I agree on 15 minutes as well. I think 10 would be fine, but can't see any harm in a testing phase.
Highest Score: 3868
Major Phlaim

Postby gameplayer on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:03 pm

lackattack wrote:How about 15 minutes and we bring it back down to 10 if there are deadbeats?

I think 15 minutes is a great idea. If you were really concerned about deadbeating, a possible solution might be to let people choose the length of time in their profile (be able to choose something like 5, 10, or 15 minutes), but I have no idea how difficult that would be to code. Either way, I think it will work fine.
Colonel gameplayer

Postby EagleofGreenErth on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:10 pm

gameplayer wrote:

I think 15 minutes is a great idea. If you were really concerned about deadbeating, a possible solution might be to let people choose the length of time in their profile (be able to choose something like 5, 10, or 15 minutes), but I have no idea how difficult that would be to code. Either way, I think it will work fine.

Thats a great idea! But yeah it should go to 10 at least.... sometimes I'll browse other sites or go and get a drink and come back and see I've been dropped....
Corporal 1st Class EagleofGreenErth

Postby bigreuben on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:59 pm

I know that I'm a freemium, so I'm the last to say anyting about speed games, but:

If you check out the speed games that been played in freestyle you'll see that 99% of the game is waiting till the clock goes down so you'll be the last to make the move (the only players that don't play like that in speed freestyles new freestylers and new recruits, which being farmed by experienced freestylers, usually with CM), so I think in freestyle the best option will be to even lower the time to 1 min. which should shorten the game (which is the interest of freestylers), and bring it to be even more exiting.

You aren't kicked right away, but only after 3 straight missed turns... which in sequential will take the least of 16 min. (in game of only two players) if not longer.

My personal idea is that if the time will be longer to take a turn, you'll be able to play more sequential games at the same time, but it will also make games longer (think about it: a simple 2 man game that finishes in the 5 round, can take two and a half hours), not everybody can stay online for that long, and what you'll get is that people that have all day long will just drag their turns and win games because every other player has to go away eventually, you can also call it a new farming system... (3 players game that only one player is stalling will go into 6 round at best after hour and a half, now think what will happen when there are more players involved and that most of the games go beyond 6th round).

If you bring the time for turn down, you wont be able to play multiple games at the same time, but you'll finish much more games in lesser time (2 players game, that are the common speed game, will be over in ten min. top), while you totally focused on that game (which is really difficult to do with 3 or more speed games at the same time).

P.S I played some speed games on halloween (again, THANK you for that CC) so I'm talking out of (some) experience :)
Captain bigreuben

Postby lancehoch on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:56 am

reuben, they are saying to change the time that you have to remain active so as to not drop the game. This is different from the turn length. Currently if you have a speed game in your "Awaiting Players" list, you must refresh a page on CC every 5 min to stay in the game. If you do not, then CC automatically kicks you from the game. lack is thinking about changing that requirement to 15 min.

Personally, I do not think that it will matter too much. What a lot of people do at this point is open a different, active speed game in another tab. The games refresh every 10 seconds, so you do not have to worry about refreshing your browser.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby karelpietertje on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:41 am

please make it ten minutes! I agree!
Major karelpietertje

Postby lozzini on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:15 pm

10 sounds good, 15 better, i reckon this should be trialed asap
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby bigreuben on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:10 pm

lancehoch wrote:reuben, they are saying to change the time that you have to remain active so as to not drop the game. This is different from the turn length. Currently if you have a speed game in your "Awaiting Players" list, you must refresh a page on CC every 5 min to stay in the game. If you do not, then CC automatically kicks you from the game. lack is thinking about changing that requirement to 15 min.

Personally, I do not think that it will matter too much. What a lot of people do at this point is open a different, active speed game in another tab. The games refresh every 10 seconds, so you do not have to worry about refreshing your browser.

:roll: oops... I got it the wrong way... It's probably because when I had the chance to play speed games, I took advantage of it and refreshed a lot, if I wasn't In a game at the time... I guess then that the offer is good, because it don't make the game longer all together...
I have another question about speed games then: If someone is waiting for a game to fill up, is he stays in the game waiting list if he logs out??? As I see it as long as player logged in, he/she won't deadbeat, and that is the only thing that matters I guess... might be wrong of course
Captain bigreuben

Postby lancehoch on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:28 pm

I believe that if you log out you are kicked from waiting, but I am not 100% positive. I do not play speed games often.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby blakebowling on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:43 pm

lancehoch wrote:I believe that if you log out you are kicked from waiting, but I am not 100% positive. I do not play speed games often.

you're right, if you log out, you are kicked from waiting speed games. I assume it will be kept the same way.
Private blakebowling

Re: increase speed game joining time [Done]

Postby lackattack on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Done!

If you logout or your session is idle for more than 15 minutes you will be automatically dropped from any waiting speed games.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby n00blet on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Wow! There have been a lot of updates lately! Great work lack :)
Captain n00blet

Postby sailorseal on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:52 pm

lackattack wrote:Who agrees that the auto-drop should be delayed until 10 minutes of idle time (instead of 5 minutes)?

I agree
Cook sailorseal

Postby Prankcall on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Sweet.Thanks. =D> =D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class Prankcall

Postby HoosierMama on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:58 pm

How about changing the amount of time for actually starting your turn in a speed game. Say if you had only 1 or 2 minutes to START your turn, then when you hit begin, that's when the 5 minute clock starts.

It's not very "speedy" when people join 6 or 7 speed games at once and the clock runs 3 or 4 minutes before they show up to take their turn each time.
Lieutenant HoosierMama

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks Lack! This helps a ton!!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Return to Archived Suggestions