Conquer Club

Player Ratings - a glorious failure?

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Player Ratings - a glorious failure?

Postby Halmir on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:39 am

Under the old system u kinda knew that if someone had 120 positives and 3 negatives, they were generally decent but had upset some nutter occasionally. Equally if they had 56 negs and no positives at all, they were to be avoided like the plague. If they joined your game whilst still wiaitng for a full set of players, it was time to drop the game and start over.

What can we tell now from the ratings now? NOTHING. Everyone is "4 point something". Why? Well, most people don't have much perspective and award 5 stars for Excellent constantly, instead of 3 stars for Average. I wouldn't be surprised if some folks were routinely giving out 5 stars to deadbeats....it's probably made the Admin's life a whole lot easier as they have less hassle to sort out.

My solution? Make the player rating a single mark with nice big text stating the range to use (between "Idiot" and "best player I have ever met here"). Make it out of 10 if you want some additional measure of granularity. Set up an auto monitor that fires PMs at people who overuse either end of the spectrum, which then flags to the admins if they continue. Last warning then disable their voting if they can't justify it.

Let's bring back some sense to the system?
Lieutenant Halmir

Re: Player Ratings - a glorious failure?

Postby Madshatter on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Player rating is very important, but it has been taken out of the game here... several problems exist within the system,
1.When I play someone more than once, and I rate them, I cannot just give the stars that I feel appropriate, I have to short him a value, or pick a tag that doesnt describe the player at all. why isnt EACH and EVERY rating, fresh to that game? I dont care if it tells me that I played/rated him before, but I DO care when YOU tell ME how to vote. (I cannot choose the same rating as last time I rated him).
2. the tags themselfs are punitive, 10 or 11 "good ratings" if you choose "silent" as a Good rating, the other 24 or 25 are limited in scope. I would like to possibly just add my own tags, perhaps the player can choose a one word descriptor, or yoy could get a dictionary and add like 100 more words to choose from, I know there only 24 letters to choose from, but you can find that many words, I have faith...
3. The 5 star thing... I started giving average 3's and got blown away for "hurting" peoples scores, so I have to give 5 stars, and be more descriptive in the tags, oh, wait, the tags suck and are limited... hmmm
Methinks the system is busted
I liked the old system by a far cry. can we go back to that while you fix this one?
Cook Madshatter

Re: Player Ratings - a glorious failure?

Postby obliterationX on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:35 pm

There should be a tag for "lucky". :D
Colonel obliterationX

Return to Archived Suggestions