Conquer Club

[Official] Centerscape/Midgard REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP (Midgard) Large v5 / page 1,3

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:11 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the territory name font. Something about the change in size of each letter bugs me. I like the font style, but it looks almost too fairy tale-like or childish with the size changes. Could you perhaps find something of a similar style that doesn't do the size-changing thing?

I disagree 100%. I think the font works well for the style of the map. This is the first comment that I remember seeing with dissatisfaction towards the font style.
Private RjBeals

Postby hecter on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:14 pm

I have no issues with the font, though at the same time, I would not mind if it were changed, as long as it fit well with the map.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:34 pm

The font is awesome. It really fits with the style and feel of the map.

BTW do you know what the font is called? Ringbearer, like from LOTR ring bearer.
The Ringbearer font is a replication of the font used in the logo of Peter Jackson's "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy.

So I think it is appropriate. :D

So are there no name change requests? If not the XML will be a quick and easy job to do.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby edbeard on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:37 pm

none of the names seem "bad". we could spent weeks trying to add dragon names. I'd say just go ahead with it and let's get this done.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Emberheart
Dirgewings
Violetclaw
Falseslice -
Painscale
Deebolt
Gearmaw
Lightholder
Howlcry
Blackmaw
Highsoar
Greathide
Dwarfcrest
Clayrage
Irontalon
Agianya
Aginthana
Agisaia
Agrartand
Agrene
Amardius
Amovur
Aneras
Anglia
Anglymnaia
Antitrea
Antya
Aquia
Arcadas
Arcinene
Arcuanon
Arcycur
Asea
Austracius
Burguaras
Bythenya
Castentum
Cesorya
Ebovon
Engeos
Era
Escysica
Ethantis
Etheos
Ethica
Eulona
Euphovius
Genanthia
Germinas
Judernum
Laurundas
Laurycas
Mallantas
Miranas
Mytagon
Mytonon
Mytosum
Parandea
Terratror
Ugynini
Ursitrya
Urson
Utagya
Utonona
Zeelannur
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:03 pm

If we do not change any names, here are the locations of the 88 i will use. I will tweak the small after.
Large Version 6
Major WidowMakers

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP (Midgard) Large v6 / page 1,4

Postby maritovw on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:19 pm

I don't really like the bonus names... the title of the map is "MIDGARD - The 7 kingdoms" but save Dragon Realm, none of them has a kingdomish name... they just give you an idea of the location/terrain type of the "continent" but they don't live up to the title's name...

i'd like to know what's the copyright status of middle-earth names.. but not common names like The Shire or Gondor... but more obscure/lesser known places of middle earth... here's a list of some names...

Eregion
Lindon
Belegost
Khazad-dûm
Nogrod
Arnor
Erebor
Angmar
Dol Guldur
Núrnen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realms_of_Arda#Third_Age
Sergeant 1st Class maritovw

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:40 pm

So no one else is bugged by the font's up-and-down-ness? Oh well, I'll let it go, then. I just feel that you could find a font in a similar fantasy style that didn't do that bouncy-thing.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby rishaed on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:So no one else is bugged by the font's up-and-down-ness? Oh well, I'll let it go, then. I just feel that you could find a font in a similar fantasy style that didn't do that bouncy-thing.

Dude It fit's extremely well with the map. So there isn't a complaint from me. Quench this sucker. :!: :twisted:
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:11 pm

maritovw wrote:I don't really like the bonus names... the title of the map is "MIDGARD - The 7 kingdoms" but save Dragon Realm, none of them has a kingdomish name... they just give you an idea of the location/terrain type of the "continent" but they don't live up to the title's name...

i'd like to know what's the copyright status of middle-earth names.. but not common names like The Shire or Gondor... but more obscure/lesser known places of middle earth... here's a list of some names...

Eregion
Lindon
Belegost
Khazad-dûm
Nogrod
Arnor
Erebor
Angmar
Dol Guldur
Núrnen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realms_of_Arda#Third_Age

Why not just use one of the over 900 names you find in the Silmarillion?
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby hecter on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Name suggestions:
Nazgul
Gothmog
Ainur
Maiar
Eönwë
Radagast
Uinen
Aulë
Estë
Fëanturi
Bauglir
Valar
Varda
Léod
Frumgar
Boldog
Gorkil
Lagduf
Moria
Snaga
Ugslap
Dúnedain
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Hadn't noticed the up and downess of the font until Zeak pointed it out, so I guess that that means it fits like a glove.

The point about the kingdom names is a good one. At the moment they are area descriptions,with the exception of Dragon Realm. Seeing as it is such a beautiful map, it would be a shame to 'cop out' on giving them proper names. As for the territory names they seem ok on the whole.
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:26 pm

hecter wrote:Name suggestions:
Nazgul
Gothmog
Ainur
Maiar
Eönwë
Radagast
Uinen
Aulë
Estë
Fëanturi
Bauglir
Valar
Varda
Léod
Frumgar
Boldog
Gorkil
Lagduf
Moria
Snaga
Ugslap
Dúnedain

I suggest against most of these. Better not use people names for names of places for those that actually know what they are talking about.

I was thinking stuff like:
Dor-Lomin
Mithrim
Himlad
Beleriand
Lammoth
Nevrast
Falas
Nan Dungortheb
... Can't think of many more at the moment.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby djak. on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:32 am

RjBeals wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the territory name font. Something about the change in size of each letter bugs me. I like the font style, but it looks almost too fairy tale-like or childish with the size changes. Could you perhaps find something of a similar style that doesn't do the size-changing thing?

I disagree 100%. I think the font works well for the style of the map. This is the first comment that I remember seeing with dissatisfaction towards the font style.

I pointed out that I didn't like it in both the competition thread and in this one: it manages to combine ALL CAPS and sTuDLY caps, wHIcH MAkEs mE THiNk oF 733T 5p34k.

More important is that you can't easily figure out the continents if you're color-blind, so how about naming them to something similar to the most strategically important country in it: Hubland, Cynici, Hamptons, Vegas, Nektar, Avallonis, Bad Country?
Lieutenant djak.

Postby pamoa on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:01 am

the.killing.44 wrote:I think most are fine, but Death Marsh without water in it? I guess it's surrounded, but still…

WidowMakers wrote:If you have a better name please suggest it. I am all ears. :-)

why not adding some swamp texture to the land ... or even water waves so it look like swamp.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby edbeard on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:05 am

pamoa wrote:why not adding some swamp texture to the land ... or even water waves so it look like swamp.

I think that goes against what people voted for. It's one thing adding a couple dragons here and there. It's another to make a large change to the style of the map.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:28 am

There are small waves in the water…

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:37 pm

OK everyoen thanks for teh name inputs but I think I did not explain well when I was asking for name ideas.

Since this is a fictional map and it only exists here, there is no way for anyone to actually know where a bonus regions is based on a made up names like Mithrim or whatever, I should have said this when I asked so I am sorry, but the bonus names need to help the user understand their location.

Reasons why I named the bonuses what I did:
    Icy Tundra - White and looks icy, easy to see.
    North desert - In the north and helps distinguish any visible colors issue with crossroads or golden fields because they are not north
    Golden Fields - They are the most yellow territories and since the Desert is already located by the north in the name it works out.
    Central Forest - Green and in the middle
    Death March - The purpley gray region
    Crossroads - Didn't have another good idea but it connects the bottom of the map
    Dragon Realm- I really named this when we were going for the dragon theme. So it really is not needed.

So all of the other names are good for territories and such but for the bonuses we need to agree on names that help the user locate them.
If these names don't sound to "kingdomy" to you then we can change the name of the map to Midgard: ???

Once these are done, we can start with the territory naming if we find that it is needed (i.e. only where a current name does nto really fit the bonus name).
Plus some of the names are going to stay 'casue they are cool.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:39 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:There are small waves in the water…

There were already waves in the water. I just added them to the lakes too.
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:40 pm

pamoa wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:I think most are fine, but Death Marsh without water in it? I guess it's surrounded, but still…

WidowMakers wrote:If you have a better name please suggest it. I am all ears. :-)

why not adding some swamp texture to the land ... or even water waves so it look like swamp.
As edbeard said this map was voted on for what it looked like. No textures were altered (or will be) so the purple gray region will stay the way it is.

Please see my post, 2 posts up, for my reasoning and thinking behind the bonus region names

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:43 pm

djak. wrote:More important is that you can't easily figure out the continents if you're color-blind, so how about naming them to something similar to the most strategically important country in it: Hubland, Cynici, Hamptons, Vegas, Nektar, Avallonis, Bad Country?
Naming a bonus region off of a territory will not necessarily help people understand what goes where. The bonus names need to explain the location by themselves and with the help of colors.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP (Midgard) Large v4 / page 1,3

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:39 pm

Quoted to get image onto the last page...

Large Version 5

Graphically, I think this is pretty much on the money. I love the new A symbol in the title, although I think it looks too orangey/red. I think the circle graphic could be made a little darker and less bronzed too.

As far as region names go, I'm not overly worried about the names you have used... although some of the territory names really seem to grate with me (for no real reason, I hasten to add)... but here are my suggestions...

Icy Tundra ->Glacial Shires
This is the region with names that bug me the most... Prodigal, Absentia, Bad Lands and Hallogallo... blurg!
I'd suggest going with names that sounds made up, but are related to glaciers in some way... Drumlin, Moraine, Ogive and Esker

North Desert -> Northern Plains
Personally I think that this sounds a lot easier on the ear, and gives a nod to the region of the same name from the former Middle Earth map. I'm not too keen on Hubcity and Highlands as terr names... there's no reason we couldn't keep Withered Heath, Iron Hills, Northern Waste from the old map??

Golden Fields -> The Lost Realm? Goldenfield?
Liegon to me looks like a misspelling of Legion... the names of territories here don't really do anything for me... particularly not Onset, Avalon, Shell... once the region name is agreed/decided, I'll have another think about alternative terr names for the ones that irritate me... How about shades of yellow, or words that mean yellow? Ecru, Ochre, Gamboge, Geolwe, Marillo, Geel, Zuto, Rumen, Gul, Mauvang...

Central Forest -> Enting Forest
Why not name the forest after the tree-folk of Middle Earth? Granted, Treebeard would look a bit out of place, but why not use names referred to by the Ents, such as Wellinghall, Derndingle, Fangorn, Bregalad, Finglas, Fladrif .... If the region name is changed, I definitely think that the Isle of Nugs should be renamed Entmoot Isle ;-)

Death Marsh -> Dead Marshes
Sleab is good (nice one RJ ;-)), but I'm not keen on the names Alexandria, Cynic, or Orchid... it would be good to try and find names that feel a bit more dead or marshy... This is a mixture of LOTR and made-up words: Dagorlad, Wetwang, Rauros Falls, Mirklight, Rotweed, Shadowmist

Crossroads - > Wilderland? Wasteland? Barrendown?
The only territory names that I would urge you to change are Vega and Bonde Cove

Dragon Realm
I like this region name, although I don't know how 'red' it sounds...
I'm not sure whether Balrog fits here that well, and I think that Kette looks too similar to Kettle :lol:
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby maritovw on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:58 pm

I like most of MrBenn's suggestions and thus give my support to them... but still the map's name should be changed.. "Midgard - The 7 Kingdoms" still isn't in concordance with the bonus names... how about "Midgard - The realm of old" or "Midgard - The lost realm" ??
Sergeant 1st Class maritovw

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:23 am

maritovw wrote:"Midgard - The lost realm"

Oooh... I like that... it has the necessary fantastical connotations as well as a subtle reference to the lost Middle Earth Map...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:24 am

maritovw wrote:I like most of MrBenn's suggestions and thus give my support to them... but still the map's name should be changed.. "Midgard - The 7 Kingdoms" still isn't in concordance with the bonus names... how about "Midgard - The realm of old" or "Midgard - The lost realm" ??
I like The lost realm as well. But if we do the Lost REALM then Dragon Realm is not going to be a bonus group.

MrBenn wrote:Icy Tundra ->Glacial Shires
This is the region with names that bug me the most... Prodigal, Absentia, Bad Lands and Hallogallo... blurg!
I'd suggest going with names that sounds made up, but are related to glaciers in some way... Drumlin, Moraine, Ogive and Esker

North Desert -> Northern Plains
Personally I think that this sounds a lot easier on the ear, and gives a nod to the region of the same name from the former Middle Earth map. I'm not too keen on Hubcity and Highlands as terr names... there's no reason we couldn't keep Withered Heath, Iron Hills, Northern Waste from the old map??

Golden Fields -> The Lost Realm? Goldenfield?
Liegon to me looks like a misspelling of Legion... the names of territories here don't really do anything for me... particularly not Onset, Avalon, Shell... once the region name is agreed/decided, I'll have another think about alternative terr names for the ones that irritate me... How about shades of yellow, or words that mean yellow? Ecru, Ochre, Gamboge, Geolwe, Marillo, Geel, Zuto, Rumen, Gul, Mauvang...

Central Forest -> Enting Forest
Why not name the forest after the tree-folk of Middle Earth? Granted, Treebeard would look a bit out of place, but why not use names referred to by the Ents, such as Wellinghall, Derndingle, Fangorn, Bregalad, Finglas, Fladrif .... If the region name is changed, I definitely think that the Isle of Nugs should be renamed Entmoot Isle ;-)

Death Marsh -> Dead Marshes
Sleab is good (nice one RJ ;-)), but I'm not keen on the names Alexandria, Cynic, or Orchid... it would be good to try and find names that feel a bit more dead or marshy... This is a mixture of LOTR and made-up words: Dagorlad, Wetwang, Rauros Falls, Mirklight, Rotweed, Shadowmist

Crossroads - > Wilderland? Wasteland? Barrendown?
The only territory names that I would urge you to change are Vega and Bonde Cove

Dragon Realm -> How about Fire Mountain instead?
I like this region name, although I don't know how 'red' it sounds...
I'm not sure whether Balrog fits here that well, and I think that Kette looks too similar to Kettle :lol:
SWEET NAMES MrBenn. I think that in conjunction with teh Title change and the Dragons moving to Fire Mountains (If people like that) we are set. I will use your suggestions for territories as well (although some of the names you don't like will stay but just get moved to anther place)

New Title:
    Midgard - The Lost Realm

Suggested Bonus Names (in order of legend top down):

Glacial Shires
    Northern Plains
    Goldenfield
    Enting Forest
    Dead Marshes
    Barrendown
    Fire Mountains

WM
Major WidowMakers