Conquer Club

Foundry Competitions

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Foundry Competitions

Postby oaktown on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:24 am

In a nut shell, running the central america competition did not go as smoothly as one may have hoped. A map was sent to the wrong CA, so I didn't receive it in time to include it in the first round. During the first round there were complaints that the mapmakers didn't have a chance to get any feedback, so (after consulting the mapmakers involved) we let all of the maps go into the second and final round. Then two maps were eliminated because their vote totals were padded by multis, so I re-ran round two. Now that the second final round is over I'm hearing that the vote was too close, though nobody said anything about requiring a majority when we went into the final round 2 with 4 (and originally 6) maps.

I don't know if I'll be running any future Foundry competitions. I'm trying to limit my activities around here to activities that I enjoy, and dealing with cheaters and angry Foundry members is not something I enjoy.

But that doesn't mean I want to see competitions die - competitions are fun, and participating in the Brazil and Centerscape revamp competitions has beena blast. So I'm opening this thread up in the hopes of getting some feedback as to how we run competitions around here. if you think that we should allow a feedback period before round 1, tell us now rather than after we start round 1. If you think that the winner should receive a majority or supermajority of the vote, tell us now before we announce a winner. And if you think I am an idiot and should bury my head in the sand, tell me now since I'm in the spirit. :D
Captain oaktown

Re: Foundry Competitions

Postby edbeard on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:00 am

1. Let me run it. :lol:

serious response

1. create a competition subforum where people may create development threads three months prior to entry deadline

2. one week voting period including all maps developed in the subforum

3. top 2 maps go to final (unless no clear top 2 as determined by CAs and/or competition MC in which case discussion will be held to determine best course of action)

4. one month for each map to do final adjustments in their respective threads. one week voting period for winner.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:05 am

This will probably never happen, but i think there should be a new C.A brought aboard dedicated to Foundry Competitions, We should have them more often. That way other C.A's won't have to bother with them :) And more people will be drawn to the Foundry and there will be more community input given on the maps, which come through the competitions ;)

Or even an unofficial C.A. that can do this would be sufficient ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby oaktown on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:16 am

samuelc812 wrote:This will probably never happen, but i think there should be a new C.A brought aboard dedicated to Foundry Competitions, We should have them more often. That way other C.A's won't have to bother with them :) And more people will be drawn to the Foundry and there will be more community input given on the maps, which come through the competitions ;)

Or even an unofficial C.A. that can do this would be sufficient ;)

A fine idea actually... anybody can run a competition, all it takes is a minute or two of my time to sticky a topic or remove a poll. =D>

edbeard wrote:1. Let me run it. :lol:

Excellent, our first volunteer! ;)
Captain oaktown

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:31 am

We could even create a usergroup where a group of foundry enthusiasts can brainstorm on possible competitions, and run them as a group ;) This way the group can make a standard protocol for Map Competitions, and they can be run smoother without being a hassle to the C.A's ? ;) I'd be happy to give of my time to make competitions a more pleasurable event :)
Captain samuelc812

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:44 pm

samuelc812 wrote:We could even create a usergroup where a group of foundry enthusiasts can brainstorm on possible competitions, and run them as a group ;) This way the group can make a standard protocol for Map Competitions, and they can be run smoother without being a hassle to the C.A's ? ;) I'd be happy to give of my time to make competitions a more pleasurable event :)

Seconded. I'd be glad to help!

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:47 pm

samuelc812 wrote:We could even create a usergroup where a group of foundry enthusiasts can brainstorm on possible competitions, and run them as a group ;) This way the group can make a standard protocol for Map Competitions, and they can be run smoother without being a hassle to the C.A's ? ;) I'd be happy to give of my time to make competitions a more pleasurable event :)

I suspect that any good ideas for competitions that are sent to the CA's would be discussed and maybe bought forward.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:52 pm

We actually have some very tentative plans to run a competition in the Newsletter :-$
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 pm

More than tentative, expect more about that in the next issue.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:13 pm

TaCktiX wrote:More than tentative, expect more about that in the next issue.

InkL0sed wrote:We actually have some very tentative plans to run a competition in the Newsletter :-$

That's great news. However, is this really a long term solution or a one off competition? Is the Newsletter Staff putting up their hand to run regular competitions?
Captain samuelc812

Postby oaktown on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:17 pm

samuelc812 wrote:However, is this really a long term solution or a one off competition? Is the Newsletter Staff putting up their hand to run regular competitions?

Let's see what they have in mind before we sign them up for the long-term... and whether or not they continue doesn't preclude us from tapping other folks to do some work around here, competitions or other duties.
Captain oaktown

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:23 pm

oaktown wrote:
samuelc812 wrote:However, is this really a long term solution or a one off competition? Is the Newsletter Staff putting up their hand to run regular competitions?

Let's see what they have in mind before we sign them up for the long-term... and whether or not they continue doesn't preclude us from tapping other folks to do some work around here, competitions or other duties.

Oak, i was not signing people up, merely asking them what their plans were, which is perfectly legal ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby reptile on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:54 pm

oaktown wrote:In a nut shell, running the central america competition did not go as smoothly as one may have hoped. A map was sent to the wrong CA, so I didn't receive it in time to include it in the first round. During the first round there were complaints that the mapmakers didn't have a chance to get any feedback, so (after consulting the mapmakers involved) we let all of the maps go into the second and final round. Then two maps were eliminated because their vote totals were padded by multis, so I re-ran round two. Now that the second final round is over I'm hearing that the vote was too close, though nobody said anything about requiring a majority when we went into the final round 2 with 4 (and originally 6) maps.

so there were two eliminated because of mulit's? because that is what it sounds like. was e_i_pi's padded by multis? or am i miscounting and there were originally 7?
Last edited by reptile on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major reptile

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:05 pm

samuelc812 wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:More than tentative, expect more about that in the next issue.

InkL0sed wrote:We actually have some very tentative plans to run a competition in the Newsletter :-$

That's great news. However, is this really a long term solution or a one off competition? Is the Newsletter Staff putting up their hand to run regular competitions?

To disappoint your initial hopes, we're not running a map competition. In some ways, that should create more entries, we shall see. We will be releasing the 16th Issue this Sunday.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby oaktown on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:38 pm

reptile wrote:so there were two eliminated because of mulit's? because that is what it sounds like. was e_i_pi's padded by multis? or am i miscounting and there were originally 7?

let's just say there were multis voting for more than one map, but e_i_pi was not implicated in any wrong-doing. His record remains clean. 8-)

And I mis-spoke above when I said that two maps were received because their votes were padded... e_i_pi's map did receive questionable votes (as did others) but the decision to remove the map was ultimately his, and I respect it. Apologies if I made e_i_pi out to sound like a common criminal.
Captain oaktown

Postby edbeard on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:06 pm

no one agrees on my competition subforum idea? :-s
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:07 pm

edbeard wrote:no one agrees on my competition subforum idea? :-s

I'm not sure whether I agree with it or not. Maybe if new threads aren't allowed to be made by anyone other than a mod? Would it be a temporary subforum?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:09 pm

edbeard wrote:no one agrees on my competition subforum idea? :-s

Yep i agree, a temporary sub-forum like the 100 maps comp. in the Announcements Forum. It was only temporary and was taken down recently. We could do competitions the same way...
Captain samuelc812

Postby reptile on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Oaktown

i dont know what you mean by he had questionable votes as well. but as far as our hidden forum, he specifically encouraged all of us to take a look and to vote, but also made sure to make it clear that he wanted us to vote on our favorite or the best even if it means it wasnt his. he made that part clear.
Major reptile

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:35 pm

reptile wrote:Oaktown

i dont know what you mean by he had questionable votes as well. but as far as our hidden forum, he specifically encouraged all of us to take a look and to vote, but also made sure to make it clear that he wanted us to vote on our favorite or the best even if it means it wasnt his. he made that part clear.

It means it seems someone other than e_i_pi likely made multi's to vote for him. What's not to get?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby edbeard on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:56 pm

most definitely temporary. it's only needed whilst the competition is ongong and maybe a couple weeks after the map gets quenched (though you'd obviously move or start a new thread in the regular foundry).

As for only mods starting threads...I suppose. Perhaps just keep it highly moderated. no idea threads. only drafts.

also have the mod/competition MC post in the thread (and/or pm the draft maker) 1 week prior to start of competition to see if they're actually going to enter. And/or lock threads which are inactive for a week by the draftmaker. as long as the rules are there beforehand. I doubt there'll be many threads made but it's an idea that should be tried I think.

Bigger notice like 3 months or 4 months is of huge importance too. People are busy. maps take that long to make in reality. dropping the time from competition end till quench is a major issue. more foundry-like development prior to voting will be huge in that. remember 80%+ of voters won't see the maps until voting starts anyway. if someone wants to "catch people by surprise" or "not give away their ideas", they can just develop in secret and post in the last few days or hours before the deadline.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 am

I'm not sure about 3 or 4 months. People will lose interest. I think 1 month is fine. It only took me a week to create that centerscape map. And without any feedback or guidance at all. My problem is that after I started, is when I was contacted with some other projects that I accepted (for pay). But the sub forum is still a fine idea. If there's too many sticked topics, they will not be as effective.
Private RjBeals

Postby bryguy on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:54 am

why not something like what they do over at the cartographers guild?

each month they have a competition (usually on a certain theme) and then people make threads with like January Entry: The Something of Something (or watever title they choose), and then over the month people make comments, then at the end of the month they have voting. Why not something like that?
Corporal bryguy

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:10 am

bryguy wrote:why not something like what they do over at the cartographers guild?

each month they have a competition (usually on a certain theme) and then people make threads with like January Entry: The Something of Something (or watever title they choose), and then over the month people make comments, then at the end of the month they have voting. Why not something like that?

Ah.. now thats a plan.
Private RjBeals

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Thats a great plan.
But what would the prize be for winning?
Just the chance to turn it into a map?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions