Conquer Club

Gilgamesh; Coordinates on pg 20

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Gilgamesh; pg 4

Postby MrBenn on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Welcome to the Foundry Proper... Onwards and Upwards!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:47 pm

May I make a personal request that you change the image name while hosting to something without "game"in it. My computer blocks that, so I am unable to view or comment on this.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:52 am

Your computer blocks gilgamesh? That sounds more like a setup issue :lol:
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Gilgamesh; bull of heaven, pg 3

Postby yeti_c on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:32 pm

herschal wrote:42 posts and already an advanced draft?? It is good but I think you need a few more peoples opinions before giving it a stamp. And only 3 updates can hardly be called advanced. There are other maps in here with 10 pages of critisism and they are not even advanced drafts. Just because he is an experieced map maker and a cartographer doesn't mean he can get special treatment.
Don't get me wrong though, I love the map!

Edit: I forgot that this was a competition entry and received some vetting there. That makes me less annoied but I still think it should have been in here a little longer.

I have to say I completely disagree with all of this post.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Gilgamesh; bull of heaven, pg 3

Postby oaktown on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:15 pm

yeti_c wrote:
herschal wrote:42 posts and already an advanced draft?? It is good but I think you need a few more peoples opinions before giving it a stamp. And only 3 updates can hardly be called advanced. There are other maps in here with 10 pages of critisism and they are not even advanced drafts. Just because he is an experieced map maker and a cartographer doesn't mean he can get special treatment.
Don't get me wrong though, I love the map!

Edit: I forgot that this was a competition entry and received some vetting there. That makes me less annoied but I still think it should have been in here a little longer.

I have to say I completely disagree with all of this post.

I assume that includes the part where herschal said he loves this map? :-s ;)
Captain oaktown

Postby Beko the Great on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Oh! Thank you Oaktown! Thank you very much to keep this Idea alive! I'm so fan of sumerian and ancien t mesopotamia I was very sad when this map was taken away from centerscape... but I think it was better, this map will have a unique gameplay, I'm very hopeful to see very soon!
Major Beko the Great

Postby Aline_Cedrac on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:24 pm

Beko the Great wrote:Oh! Thank you Oaktown! Thank you very much to keep this Idea alive! I'm so fan of sumerian and ancien t mesopotamia I was very sad when this map was taken away from centerscape... but I think it was better, this map will have a unique gameplay, I'm very hopeful to see very soon!

I agree with you, dear Beko the Great! :oops: Thank you Oaktown, for making this fantasy of some come true! Good luck with everything! You can count with my help and support, if needed!
Brigadier Aline_Cedrac

Postby oaktown on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Nothing fancy in this update - I just wanted to clean some crap up. Regions extend off the map (looks cleaner), mountains fit some region borders better, etc.

The Neon Peon wrote:May I make a personal request that you change the image name while hosting to something without "game"in it. My computer blocks that, so I am unable to view or comment on this.

Odd request, but granted. We now have the epic of Gilgamsh.
Captain oaktown

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:12 am

Gameplay wise, I think you may have undervalued Subartu. It has 9 territories and 6 borders, but is only a +5? It has an implicit +1, because there are 3 great cities in it, but even so, I think +6 would be a better base value (so it's +7 total). Sumer is also a bit undervalued - one less territory, 1 less border - I think it should be a +5 base (+1 for having 3 cities added on to that for a total of +6). Then Amorities, which is 2 less territories and 1 less border than Sumer, would have a more justified +4.

The other option would be to bring Amorities down to +3. But I think this map has enough small bonuses, between Wilds, Elam, Challenges, and Cities.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby lt_oddball on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:41 am

for sure you couldn't find better actual historic province names than
"garden of the gods, the waters of death and the great darkness, and bull of heaven " ???
You make it like a cheap lord of the rings map..:s
:sick:
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Postby oaktown on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:35 am

lt_oddball wrote:for sure you couldn't find better actual historic province names than
"garden of the gods, the waters of death and the great darkness, and bull of heaven " ???
You make it like a cheap lord of the rings map..:s
:sick:

Or perhaps the Lord of the Rings was a cheap copy of Gilgamesh.

“If the following names: Anu, Enkidu, Mashu, Uruk, remember you The Silmarillion of Tolkien, you have to know that they belong to the Epopee of Gilgamesh.”
-Isaac Asimov
Captain oaktown

Postby sailorseal on Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Well I am back after my "vacation" and here is what I have to say...

1. The conquer all of the symbols has to be changed because it should easily be acquired by the drop

2. Move the word oaktown over to not confuse a n00b about what the name is

3. Create new great cities around the lower left and top

4. The Sumer bonus is too low

5. The Grey bonus is too low

Love the map and would like to see it continue.
Cook sailorseal

Postby gho on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:31 am

You should add a description of the map and the times like you have in your triple alliance map in order to make the map more interesting historically.
Lieutenant gho

Postby sailorseal on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:44 pm

gho wrote:You should add a description of the map and the times like you have in your triple alliance map in order to make the map more interesting historically.

This could fill up some of the empty space at the bottom...
Cook sailorseal

Postby oaktown on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:36 am

Click image to enlarge.

sailorseal wrote:1. The conquer all of the symbols has to be changed because it should easily be acquired by the drop

Dropped it to +1, same as holding three cities. Originally the Bull would start neutral, making the +2 more reasonable.

sailorseal wrote:2. Move the word oaktown over to not confuse a n00b about what the name is

Fixed.

sailorseal wrote:3. Create new great cities around the lower left and top

Trouble with this suggestion is that the most significant cities at the time were along the rivers, for obvious reasons. Anyway, I'm not troubled by thelack of cities in the west, because both of those bonuses are small and easy to hold, making for excellent starts.

sailorseal wrote:4. The Sumer bonus is too low

Agreed - bumped up to +5, which is really +6 with the cities.

sailorseal wrote:5. The Grey bonus is too low.

Disagreed - since you have to either hold the Bull or defend against it, Sumer and Subartu (grey) are now very close in size and borders, so I think that making them both +6 (including the cities within) is in line with the rest of the map.

gho wrote:You should add a description of the map and the times like you have in your triple alliance map in order to make the map more interesting historically.

Done... space at the bottom filled. All of the bonus info now sits together on the lower tiles, as it should.
Captain oaktown

Re: Gilgamesh; update on pg 5

Postby sailorseal on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Wonderful, I recommend summoning a jury...
Cook sailorseal

Postby gho on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:20 am

Why dont you make the three challenges start neutral and make it a plus 3 to hold them all, to make it worth trying to get at the beginning instead of going for a continent which people usually do. I think it might add a bit of dimension to the play.
Lieutenant gho

Postby oaktown on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 pm

gho wrote:Why dont you make the three challenges start neutral and make it a plus 3 to hold them all, to make it worth trying to get at the beginning instead of going for a continent which people usually do. I think it might add a bit of dimension to the play.

While I like the idea of making the challenges more attractive, there are negative side effects to starting them neutral. First, it would leave the map with 41 starting territories, which means every game would start with a minimum of 4 neutral territories or as many as 9 (seven player games). And the locations of the challenges aren't good for neutrals; the Bull would never come into play unless a player already had the other two and Uruk, while the Scorpions sit at a valuable bottleneck - a neutral there would allow easy expansion behind it and cut off the north and south halves of the map.

I'd really like to work further on this, but the feedback has dried up. lack of interest?
Captain oaktown

Postby Incandenza on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:43 am

Not lack of interest, lack of anything really all that wrong with the map. It looks ready to be kicked up the ladder.

For the record, there's only a 2.75% chance a player will drop the challenges.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:39 pm

This is one of my favorite new looking maps, I'm just not sure I've anything to add at the moment.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby oaktown on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:32 am

Click image to enlarge.

Nothing major... mostly just fixed a few little things that had been bothering me. I've made the Challenges bonus +2, as suggested.

AndyDufresne wrote:This is one of my favorite new looking maps, I'm just not sure I've anything to add at the moment.

Yeah, I'm lacking further inspiration myself!

Anyway, here's a small version if anyone is interested... note that I have NOT resized the army smears, as I will eventually do for the small map.

Captain oaktown

Postby Incandenza on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am

At the very least I'd say this is ready for last looks and a gameplay stamp.

Colonel Incandenza

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:15 pm

Only two things that I can spot without giving thisna real hard look:
• I like what you have going with the colored tiles in the bonusbkey, so I'm thinking that giving Canaan a slightly different shade of brown from the rest of thebottom would go better wit the rest of the key
• In the description ... the "So" in the beginning seems awkward. Is it really necessary?

This looks great, oak!
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Incandenza on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:40 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:• In the description ... the "So" in the beginning seems awkward. Is it really necessary?

It helps if you visualize it like a movie voiceover read by Ian Mckellan.... it's got a nice old-timey ring to it, I'd say.

Colonel Incandenza

Postby oaktown on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Click image to enlarge.

the.killing.44 wrote:I like what you have going with the colored tiles in the bonusbkey, so I'm thinking that giving Canaan a slightly different shade of brown from the rest of thebottom would go better wit the rest of the key

Done. Made it more of a yellow.
the.killing.44 wrote:• In the description ... the "So" in the beginning seems awkward. Is it really necessary?

No, but i like the way it sounds.

Also extended Alakhtum to the edge of the map - doesn't effect play, but looks much better. Also washed out the Bull territory a bit - it was too bright.
Captain oaktown

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas