Conquer Club

Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Fortification dropdowns (merged) [Done]

Postby Natewolfman on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:14 pm

going to take some getting used to! but a great one, thanks lack/guys who suggested it :)
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby R0k0v on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:46 pm

army count box was better on the left
High Score: 2086
Sergeant R0k0v

Postby owenshooter on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:51 pm

R0k0v wrote:army count box was better on the left

agree, don't really like this change. it is counter intuitive... sigh... the black jesus is disappointed...-0

p.s.-but thanks for the update lack. if you think it is for the best, i am sure i shall see the light... eventually...
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 pm

I don't see why the army box had to move to the right? Seems kind of pointless to me.

Otherwise though, a good update.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Kotaro on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:44 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I don't see why the army box had to move to the right? Seems kind of pointless to me.

Otherwise though, a good update.

Agreed completely
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Lieutenant Kotaro

Re: tweak to the fortification dropdowns [Done]

Postby potiusmori on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:03 am

lackattack wrote:Good suggestion potiusmori, benjikat and Androidz. It is now live :)

Also made it default to max # of armies, as suggested here: Fort All Armies, not One

This should cut down on the number of clicks and associated cases of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Long live reinforcements!

oholycrap. i had forgotten i had even mentioned it... loving it though. thanks lack
Sergeant 1st Class potiusmori

Postby owenshooter on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:10 am

InkL0sed wrote:I don't see why the army box had to move to the right? Seems kind of pointless to me. Otherwise though, a good update.

yes, can we please rethink that one aspect of it? it is confusing and counter intuitive... otherwise, a great change in gameplay... the black jesus has spoken...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby sully800 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:16 am

owenshooter wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:I don't see why the army box had to move to the right? Seems kind of pointless to me. Otherwise though, a good update.

yes, can we please rethink that one aspect of it? it is confusing and counter intuitive... otherwise, a great change in gameplay... the black jesus has spoken...-0

It moved to the right, because the country you are fortifying from determines the number of armies that can be fortified, not the other way around.

It's counter intuitive because you are used to reading it as a sentence. Fortify X from Y to Z. Now you're still probably thinking that but the sentence has changed to Fortify from Y to Z, X armies. It may not be as neat, but its actually more logical to determine the from country first, then the to country, then the number

Give it a week or two and I imagine we'll all be used to it.
Major sully800

Postby magpies on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:35 am

Good job guys,great improvment> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class magpies

Postby Androidz on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:07 am

O.o, one of my suggestions actully came trough, even tough i wasen't first one to suggest it :lol:.

Anyway great update:)
Private Androidz

Postby owenshooter on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:08 am

sully800 wrote:
owenshooter wrote:

It moved to the right, because the country you are fortifying from determines the number of armies that can be fortified, not the other way around.

It's counter intuitive because you are used to reading it as a sentence. Fortify X from Y to Z. Now you're still probably thinking that but the sentence has changed to Fortify from Y to Z, X armies. It may not be as neat, but its actually more logical to determine the from country first, then the to country, then the number

Give it a week or two and I imagine we'll all be used to it.

sully, are you looking at the same thing i'm looking at on my games? i'm sorry but it makes far more sense to say, move x number of armies from Y to Z, than to say move Y to Z, x number of armies... if i look at a stack of apples that i want to move to a box. i am going to say, "move 3 apples from the stack, to the box. i'm not going to say, move apples to the box, 3 of them... maybe i'm not smart enough to understand what you are saying, but i am smart enough to know that it is counter intuitive... the black jesus has spoken...-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Johnny Crow on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:09 am

If it's not broke...don't fix it.
Captain Johnny Crow

Postby Rainman23 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:28 am

I like the old way better I think they should switch back from left to right!
Corporal 1st Class Rainman23

Postby Thezzaruz on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:25 am

A small change that improves playability? I love it!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> to all involved.

owenshooter wrote:i'm sorry but it makes far more sense to say, move x number of armies from Y to Z, than to say move Y to Z, x number of armies... if i look at a stack of apples that i want to move to a box. i am going to say, "move 3 apples from the stack, to the box. i'm not going to say, move apples to the box, 3 of them...

It just feels strange because you're not used to it and thus is forming the sentence based on the old system and not on your actual thought process, I think we all can agree that the first choice we make is "from where" and then consider "how many". And this change actually makes it more intuitive now IMO.
And your analogy falters as the numbers box doesn't know how many armies it can move until you have made a choice in the from box. Your suggestion would lead to people having to make a choice in the middle box (from) and then having to retrace their steps to the left box to choose how many, now we just go from left to right.

+ everything that sully said.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby owenshooter on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:38 am

Thezzaruz wrote:A small change that improves playability? I love it!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> to all involved.

owenshooter wrote:It just feels strange because you're not used to it and thus is forming the sentence based on the old system and not on your actual thought process, I think we all can agree that the first choice we make is "from where" and then consider "how many". And this change actually makes it more intuitive now IMO.
And your analogy falters as the numbers box doesn't know how many armies it can move until you have made a choice in the from box. Your suggestion would lead to people having to make a choice in the middle box (from) and then having to retrace their steps to the left box to choose how many, now we just go from left to right.

+ everything that sully said.

i'm talking about in the final fortifications phase, not during the attacks.. during the attacks, it is WONDERFUL. when you are making reenfrocements, it is counter intuitive, period. just took another turn, and it is just silly.
you fly through with the new change, and it is great. then you end attacks, and you have to switch the thought process to move your troops around... it just makes zero sense... you now attack and fortify 2 seperate ways in
the same boxes!!! how in the hell is that "better"? it makes no sense. the black jesus has spoken.-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Night Strike on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:07 pm

My guess is that the From Where country is selected first so the number of troops can auto-adjust to what that territory has.

What I'm happy about is that it doesn't appear to have harmed Clicky Maps.
Major Night Strike

Improved Reinforcements

Postby kmhebert on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Hey Try it! You'll like it. No. I don't. Specifically what I do not like is how the default # of armies to fortify is the maximum possible. I would like it to be the minimum possible. I do like how it fixes the illegal fortification issue. But I would like a Game Setting to allow you to set your default to either the min or max # of armies, that should be easy. Heh sometimes improvements are in the eye of the beholder.
Sergeant kmhebert

Postby Tracita on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:49 pm

I am trying it (I have no choice) but I do think it is counterintuitive... maybe b/c I am not used to it. The sentence is awkward though.
Sergeant 1st Class Tracita

Postby owenshooter on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Tracita wrote:I am trying it (I have no choice) but I do think it is counterintuitive... maybe b/c I am not used to it. The sentence is awkward though.

amen... i mean, you should attack and forify the same way, right? i can live with the max number for advancing after attack... i just don't like the box switching sides for reenforcements and having to call on the german language structure for it to make sense to me... the black jesus has agreed with tracita...-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Orwell on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Max forts as default is fine.

Moving the dropdown box was a mistake:
"Reinforce from (A) to (B) (#) troops" is awkward to say the least
whereas
"Reinforce (#) troops from (A) to (B)" is clear.

If a change in the order is important, I suggest:
"(A) sends (#) troops to reinforce (B)"
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho
Corporal Orwell

Postby moo_biatch on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:55 pm

It was moved for flow reasons. If the # box was on the left still, people would select a # of troops, then select the place to take them from and the the # box would reset. That causes an extra step.
Corporal 1st Class moo_biatch

Re: Fortificateing Suggestion.

Postby Orwell on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:40 pm

I think most would understand after a few games, and it isint that hard to understand. But a other way of doing it is to set it as Filter on control panel: From Easy Fortifcateing [v] to Moderate For...[x]

An option would be great. Not because the new arrangement is hard understand - but because it is completely illogical.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho
Corporal Orwell

Postby yeti_c on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:23 pm

tobinov wrote:Max forts as default is fine.

Moving the dropdown box was a mistake:
"Reinforce from (A) to (B) (#) troops" is awkward to say the least
whereas
"Reinforce (#) troops from (A) to (B)" is clear.

If a change in the order is important, I suggest:
"(A) sends (#) troops to reinforce (B)"

This one.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cougarfoxtrot on Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Can't stand this change...the logic is counterintuitive
Sergeant 1st Class cougarfoxtrot

Postby owenshooter on Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Thezzaruz wrote:It just feels strange because you're not used to it and thus is forming the sentence based on the old system and not on your actual thought process, I think we all can agree that the first choice we make is "from where" and then consider "how many". And this change actually makes it more intuitive now IMO.

no, it feels strange because it is counter intuitive and illogical. never in my life has my first choice been to thing "from where" and then to consider "how many". it is always "how many" and then "from where". now, if you are german, i will agree with you, just based on the language structure used in deutschland. other than that, no way this is more intuitive. again, as many others have said, it is counter intuitive and just upsets the flow of the game when you switch to fortifying. makes no sense to attack and then re-enforce in 2 seperate ways. zero sense... the black jesus has spoken...-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions