Conquer Club

Network help!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Network help!

Postby cowshrptrn on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Since this is an online site, i assume a number of you know how to set up a simple network.

A friend of mine has a bunch of file on a laptop running windows XP and wanted to transfer them to her new MacBook running OSX, i assumed the easiest way would be to take an ethernet cable and do a simple peer to peer to transfer files. I hook them up, select PPPoE option on the mac, and attempt to configure the XP laptop, but neither one recognizes the other. Somehow the mac, which is wirelessly connected to my router as well, decides to do something really screwy and changes something on my wireless router, so i had to restart the router!

I undid everytihng, and right now we're going back and forth between computers with a 2 gig thumb drive until we can figure out how to get the two to talk to each other.

if anyone knows anything about making a peer to peer connection between a PC and a Mac, PLEASE HELP!

EDIT: omg, i used a straight through cable, not a crossover. that was REALLY dumb of me...
Last edited by cowshrptrn on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby vtmarik on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:18 pm

I don't think a peer-to-peer is going to work. What you'll probably want to do is set up your network as a LAN, and then go into your network settings and access the machine directly, moving files as needed.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby cowshrptrn on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 pm

do you mean go through a router?
Private cowshrptrn

Postby vtmarik on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Never mind, I've got a headache and I can't remember the details.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Re: Network help!

Postby Backglass on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:01 pm

cowshrptrn wrote:a laptop running windows XP......her new MacBook running OSX

On another note...I have this Horse and Peacock I want to mate. How would I go about that?
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Re: Network help!

Postby supercram on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:08 pm

Backglass wrote:
cowshrptrn wrote:a laptop running windows XP......her new MacBook running OSX

On another note...I have this Horse and Peacock I want to mate. How would I go about that?

LMFAO
Lieutenant supercram

Postby supercram on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:11 pm

cowshrptrn wrote:do you mean go through a router?

yes go through a router. the Mac will see the PC as long as Sharing is turned on in the Windows OS.

then you can put all the stuff you want to copy over into the Windows "Shared Docs" folder or whatever those Microsoft idiots call it. Go to the Mac, connect to that Volume (i assume you know how to do this) and copy over to the Mac.

alternatively, buy a blank data DVD and burn all that shit to disc then transfer to the Mac.

then take the windows box and set it on fire.
Lieutenant supercram

Postby cowshrptrn on Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:43 pm

Well with all the hype that macs are user friendly, i found it near impossible to figure out some of the shortcuts. I was kind of flustered when i looked for the equivalent of the right click, its a very intuitive means for accessing a variety of functions, the mac's touchpad doesn't click when you tap it either, its the only laptop i've seen which doesn't do that.

My friend's laptop is shit because its a dell, not because its a windows. Its only real problems are hardware problems. I guess you feel most comfortable with whatever OS you used form the beginning. (also, i had a hell of a time finding the MAC address, apple had to go and call it something weird, like AirPort address for the wireless NIC card, and something else for the wired one. Just list the device and Mac address, plus its a lot easier to just go into commadn prompt and type in ipconfig/all and find everything you need.
Private cowshrptrn

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,