Conquer Club

Battle For Iraq! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Battle For Iraq! [Quenched]

Postby turbotim66 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:08 am

The thing I find the most frustrating is that it does not tell you anywhere that you can't attack out of the loyelty boxes. as a first time player of the game I thought it would be much like every other game I had played that I would be able to use my armies. It was a fun game until the time I had to sit and wait for some one to kill me. I actualy told the opposing player where I was so he could atack me with out having to look into every city base. I probably won't play this map again for just that reason, I hate not being able to play the armies I have.
Sergeant turbotim66

Postby max is gr8 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:39 am

It's in the rules that they some can so logic states the others can't
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby BrigSockface on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Hey, I'm playing this map currently but there's something a bit odd going on.
He's captured Mosul and mistakenly conquered the loyalties of all 4 city factions.. but instead of getting zero reinforcements like the rules say he should, he's gaining +1 reinforcements from the Baathists and +1 from the USA (none from the other two because he doesnt have the prequisite additonal loyalties).

What gives?
Corporal BrigSockface

Postby edbeard on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:24 pm

BrigSockface wrote:Hey, I'm playing this map currently but there's something a bit odd going on.
He's captured Mosul and mistakenly conquered the loyalties of all 4 city factions.. but instead of getting zero reinforcements like the rules say he should, he's gaining +1 reinforcements from the Baathists and +1 from the USA (none from the other two because he doesnt have the prequisite additonal loyalties).

What gives?

you've interpreted the rule incorrectly. If you hold two territories in one city, you'll get -1. If you hold three territories in one city, you'll get -2. If you hold them all, you get no bonus. Just like if you hold one territory in the city. These bonuses are separate from any other bonuses.

mibi wrote:I will take some time to deliberate and return with my ruling.

this isn't important to me, but I'm sure others will want to know if you take bribes.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby BrigSockface on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:58 pm

Oh right, I did misinterpret them. Thanks!
Corporal BrigSockface

Postby Gilligan on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:25 am

I just realized City Loyalties is spelled wrong in the top right corner.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Winged Cat on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:22 pm

turbotim66 wrote:The thing I find the most frustrating is that it does not tell you anywhere that you can't attack out of the loyelty boxes.

Actually, the current map seems to have a glitch there. The Mahdi Army and al-Qaeda loyalty boxes border their cities, and thus can attack back to them (in addition to being able to attack Mahdi Baghdad sectors or Sunni cities, respectively). The Baathist and US loyalty boxes border nothing. The Rules of Engagement say that the Mahdi Army and al-Qaeda loyalty boxes can attack out of their cities - but this is very easily read as a restatement of their ability to attack Mahdi Baghdad sectors or Sunni cities, not actually back to their own cities. There is also no explanation that the Baathist and US loyalty boxes are one-way traps. (Looking very close, the red arrows on the loyalty boxes seem to suggest that they should all be one-way attacks. This is insufficient and effectively no explanation, IMO, as evidenced by the number of complaints this has generated - and even if that was the intent, this is in direct conflict with the apparently intended meaning of the Rules of Engagement and the XML.)

I would suggest making all city loyalty boxes border (and thus able to attack) their cities, as well as border (and thus able to attack) the other loyalty boxes in a city. If this is not done, I would suggest that the ability of Mahdi Army and al-Qaeda loyalty boxes to attack back to their host cities be removed (except, of course, for al-Qaeda loyalty boxes for Sunni cities), and that text be put on the map legend noting that the city-to-loyalty-box attacks (at least the Baathist and US ones) are one way (again, the red arrows do not suffice as an explanation, if that was their intent).
Sergeant 1st Class Winged Cat

Re: Battle For Iraq! [Quenched] BUG REPORT

Postby erioch on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:12 pm

While playing the Iraq map with flat rate cards I discovered that some people receive 4 cards and others 10 cards. This is independent of territories on the cards. I still received my two extra armies for having the territory on the card but only recieved 4 bonus armies when another player just received 10 armies before me and didn't have any of the territories on his cards. I see in the log that this happened to other players as well. Anyone else have this problem?
Sergeant erioch

Postby max is gr8 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:16 pm

ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Re: Battle For Iraq! [Quenched] BUG REPORT

Postby Bboru on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:20 pm

erioch wrote:While playing the Iraq map with flat rate cards I discovered that some people receive 4 cards and others 10 cards. This is independent of territories on the cards. I still received my two extra armies for having the territory on the card but only recieved 4 bonus armies when another player just received 10 armies before me and didn't have any of the territories on his cards. I see in the log that this happened to other players as well. Anyone else have this problem?

What type of game are you playing? It sounds like the cards in your game are set to Flat Rate.

Good advice. You should look specifically at this part:

Flat Rate groups are worth 4 for red, 6 for green, 8 for blue and 10 for mixed.
Captain Bboru

Postby chiefmojorison on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:10 am

Well, what color were the cards that you noticed? what was the game number?
Owning the location on the card only adds a bonus to those areas, it is not part of the spoils count.
Sergeant 1st Class chiefmojorison

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:28 am

max is gr8 wrote:It's in the rules that they some can so logic states the others can't

Um... was this meant to clear things up?
Captain e_i_pi

Postby solace19k on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:04 pm

Hey , I haven't played on this map yet so I can't comment on its gameplay.

I just wanted to commend the creator for his research. Your cities and their loyalties (starting) are very accurate and you did a great job with the parties. I have completed three tours in Baghdad and I have been to Sadr City, New Baghdad (Rustamiyah), and Monsoor(Amariya,Adl,Washash). As well as all of the common places in Baghdad such as the Airport and Green Zone. I like that you did your research into this and made sure it reflected what it actually looks like out there.

I just wanted to point that out and tell you that someone notices. =D>

***P.S.*** I know its finished but I'd like to give a suggestion for your own research,
Adamiyah and Khadamiyah are a pretty mixed population between Sunni and Shia'(making it
harder for AQI to have more of a presence).
It is reflected as an AQI city on your map, while Al-monsoor is a Baathist city.
In fact, Al-monsoor is an AQI heavy city (esp in Amariyah) due to many Baathist switching to
AQI after the fall of the regieme and it being a commercial hub of Baghdad. Not that it makes much of a difference, your map is still extremely reflective of the past and unfortunately the current situation in Iraq.
Sergeant 1st Class solace19k

Postby BrotherWolf on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:22 am

I'm just about to play this map in a tournament, can someone tell me the difference between Sunni and All Sunni etc

Also attacking out of loyalty boxes? I assume Al Qaeda and Bathist can but what can they attack.

Any other tips would be handy, I thought Waterloo was tough to grasp quickly but this one looks like it's a steep learning curve.
Sergeant 1st Class BrotherWolf

Postby RADAGA on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:23 am

Loyalties cannot attack their cities?

So, the US army of Mosul cannot attack and conquer the city of mosul?

Weird.
Private 1st Class RADAGA

Postby RADAGA on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:39 am

And neither the US Army of Mosul can reinforce the city of Mosul. They are sitting ducks.

It might be realistic, but it is not funny.
Private 1st Class RADAGA

Postby shaggy5022 on Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 am

excuse me but what about all the other nations that sent and lost soldiers
Corporal 1st Class shaggy5022

Postby Ogrecrusher on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:14 am

A small point, but the city of Nasiriyah appears to be misspelled on the map as Nasirlyah or NasirIyah, not sure which.
Not a massive deal, but change it if you're ever polishing the map :)
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Re:

Postby number five on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:58 pm

DiM wrote:
mibi wrote:
DiM wrote:whare's bin laden?

add him on the map and make him worth 100 armies :lol:

PS: i'm not in the mood of extensive analysys but as soon as i get some sleep i'll do it. so far it seems interesting.

I don't know where you've been, but bin Laden is in Afghanistan or Pakistan, but certainly not Iraq.

actually i thnk he's somewhere on the french riviera sipping on a cappuccino and smoking a ciggar reading a newspaper and laughing at the idiots looking for him, but that's another discussion. :roll:

lol
Corporal number five

Postby denominator on Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Winged Cat wrote:
turbotim66 wrote:The thing I find the most frustrating is that it does not tell you anywhere that you can't attack out of the loyelty boxes.

Actually, the current map seems to have a glitch there. The Mahdi Army and al-Qaeda loyalty boxes border their cities, and thus can attack back to them (in addition to being able to attack Mahdi Baghdad sectors or Sunni cities, respectively). The Baathist and US loyalty boxes border nothing. The Rules of Engagement say that the Mahdi Army and al-Qaeda loyalty boxes can attack out of their cities - but this is very easily read as a restatement of their ability to attack Mahdi Baghdad sectors or Sunni cities, not actually back to their own cities. There is also no explanation that the Baathist and US loyalty boxes are one-way traps. (Looking very close, the red arrows on the loyalty boxes seem to suggest that they should all be one-way attacks. This is insufficient and effectively no explanation, IMO, as evidenced by the number of complaints this has generated - and even if that was the intent, this is in direct conflict with the apparently intended meaning of the Rules of Engagement and the XML.)

I would suggest making all city loyalty boxes border (and thus able to attack) their cities, as well as border (and thus able to attack) the other loyalty boxes in a city. If this is not done, I would suggest that the ability of Mahdi Army and al-Qaeda loyalty boxes to attack back to their host cities be removed (except, of course, for al-Qaeda loyalty boxes for Sunni cities), and that text be put on the map legend noting that the city-to-loyalty-box attacks (at least the Baathist and US ones) are one way (again, the red arrows do not suffice as an explanation, if that was their intent).

I've run into this problem as well. There is nowhere on the map that tells you that the Baathists and US Army Loyalty squares cannot attack out - simply that the al-Qaeda and the Mahdi Army can. I don't think that this needs to change, but it should be stated somewhere on the map that if you put a stack on the Baathists (like I did by accident - good ole misdeploy) it's jammed for the remainder of the game.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby Barduski8 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is a bug but all I know when I was playing CC 6-12 months ago I never had this problem.

I have just started playing CC again after not for a few months. When I'm playing a game and taking my turn I need to log out of the map and then load it back up in the middle of my turn to be able to deploy troops, than to attack, end turn. I have to repeat log out, log back in each time. Please fix this problem I'm having. Thanks.

I'm not sure if it is a problem with this map or if it is a problem with mu account. This problem has also happened on other maps.
Captain Barduski8

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Barduski8 wrote:I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is a bug but all I know when I was playing CC 6-12 months ago I never had this problem.

I have just started playing CC again after not for a few months. When I'm playing a game and taking my turn I need to log out of the map and then load it back up in the middle of my turn to be able to deploy troops, than to attack, end turn. I have to repeat log out, log back in each time. Please fix this problem I'm having. Thanks.

I'm not sure if it is a problem with this map or if it is a problem with mu account. This problem has also happened on other maps.

Well, obviously if it's happened on other maps it's not an Iraqi issue. BOB problem, by the way
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=91386
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby AndyBounce on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 am

Similar problem misdeploy on US army in Mosul, and now thats all I have left on current game, cannot attack out or reinforce to another point from there. So every turn I just add more guys to the army there which cant move, and all seems a little pointless. Option should be there to attack city itself or hop on a helicopter out of there.
Lieutenant AndyBounce

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:50 pm

AndyBounce wrote:Option should be [to] hop on a helicopter out of there.

I like it :lol:
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby taco_man1 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 pm

shaggy5022 wrote:excuse me but what about all the other nations that sent and lost soldiers

what about them?

The map isn't about UN action, it's about the main force in Iraq. It tries to emulate the real situation, but it's already one of (maybe the most) the most complex maps out there. Even just adding UN forces to some degree would be difficult.

Additionally, a PC complaint doesn't do much without an integrated, considered alternative or addition.

This is a game, not real life.
Sergeant taco_man1

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas