Conquer Club

Greenland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Greenland [Quenched]

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:21 pm

GREENLAND

ImageImageImageImageImage

What You Need to Know
Map Name: Greenland
Cartographer: the.killing.44
Continent Count: 6
Territory Count: 32 (and 3 neutral ice routes)

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

=======================================================

XML
http://h1.ripway.com/killing44/GreenX.xml

ORIGINAL POST
show: Original Post

Last edited by the.killing.44 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 84 times in total.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Re: Greenland - v1 on p1

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Previous Versions:
    Version 29 (Large) — May 7th
    Version 29 (Small) — May 7th
    show: v29 updates

Version 28 (Large) — May 5th
    Version 28 (Small) — May 5th
    show: v28 updates

Version 27 (Large) — May 3rd
    Version 27 (Large) — May 3rd
    show: v27 updates

Version 26 (Large) — May 1st
    show: v26 updates

Version 25 (Large) — Apr. 29th
    show: v25 updates

Version 23 (Large) — Apr. 16th
    Version 23 (Small) — Apr. 16th
    show: v23 Updates

Version 22 (Large) — Apr. 16th
    Version 22 (Small) — Apr. 16th
    show: v22 updates

Version 21 (Large) — Apr. 13th
    Version 21 (Small) — Apr. 13th
    show: v21 updates

Version 20 (Large) — Apr. 11th
    Version 20 (Small) — Apr. 11th
    show: v20 updates

Version 18 (Large) — Apr. 9th
    show: v18 updates

Version 17 (Large) — Apr. 5th
    show: v17 updates

Version 16 (Large) — Apr. 1st
    show: v16 updates

Version 15 (Large) — Mar. 30
    show: v15 updates

Version 14 (Large) — Mar. 26th
    show: v14 updates

Version 13 (Large) — Mar. 19th
    show: v13 updates

Version 12 (Large) — Mar. 18th
    show: v12 updates

Version 11 (Large) — Mar. 17th
    show: v11 updates

Version 10 (Large) — Mar. 12th
    show: v10 updates

Version 9 (Large) — Mar. 12th
    show: v9 updates

Version 8 (Large) — Mar. 9th
    show: v8 updates

Version 7 (Large) — Mar. 7th
    show: v7 updates

Version 6 (Large) — Mar. 6th
    show: v6 updates

Version 5 (Large) — Mar. 5th
    show: v5 updates

Version 4 (Large) — Mar. 3rd
    show: v4 updates

Version 3 (Large) — Mar. 2nd
    show: v3 updates

Version 2 (Large) — Feb. 26th
    show: v2 updates

Version 1 (Large) — Feb. 20th

Last edited by the.killing.44 on Thu May 07, 2009 11:58 am, edited 17 times in total.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:23 pm

MrBenn
Hey,
It's a good draft...
My initial comments will be graphical:
The map seems to be unecessarily wide, and there is too much space devoted to the legend.

Yes, I know. I'm moving everything to the center and cropping it.
I'm not sold on the texture you've got on the unplayable area.
That was the hardest thing, and neither am I.
People are likely to look at it and see a 'floating' map, as it seems to jump out from the background a bit.
:-k
I love the polar bear though ;-)
:) I like it as well
Gameplay-wise, I haven't had too much of a close look - post it into the drafting room and see what people think...

MrBenn

EDIT: Shoulda said that this was via PM … v look below v
Last edited by the.killing.44 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby MrBenn on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:43 pm

Before people start asking questions, I did say those things via PM earlier today ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby The Neon Peon on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 pm

You need to reduce the opacity of the continent names.

And there is something wrong with the text... I don't know, what but it seems out of of place. Might be just me, but can you try out a different font?

Those are my only comments at the moment.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:13 pm

I'll lower the opacity. And hmm, I liked the font. But:

Any of em? I couldn't find a different style besides the one that oak+gimil are using for Mars and calligraphy, which I don't think fits at all.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby miniwally on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:35 am

how did you get the connections they seem random to me maybe you could actually find how Greenland usually get to other side somehow just a thought.
Private 1st Class miniwally

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:26 am

* Texture/skin (whatever you wanna call it) of the unsettled area in the middle:
Add mountains or a glacier or something. Frost effect?
* Graphics of connections?
You've got to do something I didn't even realize they were connections until you said something. Make them wavy or add arrows?
* Area around map (i.e. map is "floating" … I tried Iceland — didn't work. Didn't try adding Canada with low opacity … yet.
I think it looks fine.
* Territories … right now it is 33 but I had it at 29 previously and got it up to as much as 35. Could make it 36 if needed.
OK by me, I think.

Other comments:

You've got the dead space, move the continent Illoqqortoormiut closer to the dead space and scoot the terr names over to the right. Then you can fit the seaside terroitories inside the provinces.

National Park needs to be scooted so the N isnt over a border. Maybe shift the borders as well? Also, could you name it whatever the Greenland language name for National Park is?

That's all I have for now. Best of luck, its a good lookin map so far.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby tlane on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:27 pm

i think this map looks great

i would figure out someway to make the middle look more like ice, maybe ice mountains

tlane
Private tlane

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Alright:
The Neon Peon:
You need to reduce the opacity of the continent names.
Done.
And there is something wrong with the text... I don't know, what but it seems out of of place. Might be just me, but can you try out a different font?
Hmm … any of the ones I posted above?

miniwally:
how did you get the connections they seem random to me maybe you could actually find how Greenland usually get to other side somehow just a thought.
I did the connections based upon what I thought would be good for gameplay. From my research, the north of Greenland is mainly uninhabitable, and the northeast consists of a couple towns and research stations. Some of the names used there are of mountains, because the cities/towns of Greenland are more than 75% in the Narsaq-Upernavik area.

Industrial Helix:
Add mountains or a glacier or something. Frost effect?
I'll experiment with stuff.
You've got to do something I didn't even realize they were connections until you said something. Make them wavy or add arrows?
Alright … umm I'll take a look at arrows, maybe a solid line going into each territory would help?
I think it looks fine.
Good
OK by me, I think.
Alright. I think this is an issue mainly for later in development.
You've got the dead space, move the continent Illoqqortoormiut closer to the dead space and scoot the terr names over to the right. Then you can fit the seaside terroitories inside the provinces.
I'm a bit confused here … by the dead space I'm referring to the amount of blank water around the map. But I'll look into moving the names around.
National Park needs to be scooted so the N isnt over a border. Maybe shift the borders as well?
Done.
Also, could you name it whatever the Greenland language name for National Park is?
Can't find a translator … be much abliged if someone could ;)

tlane
i would figure out someway to make the middle look more like ice, maybe ice mountains
Like I said before, I'll experiment with things.

Keep 'em coming!
Captain the.killing.44

Postby edbeard on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:30 pm

I'll come back later for a full look but get rid of the tongue. Get rid of it. please.

Perhaps you could turn this into a Polar Bear map? research their locations, movements, and all that good stuff. at least do the very preliminary "can I find a map that shows where polar bears live in this area and can it be made into a map?" if no to either thing in the "" then you know it's not possible right away.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:33 pm

edbeard
I'll come back later for a full look but get rid of the tongue. Get rid of it. please.
It's the Greenlandic coat of arms — I wonder if it would be too big a deal to get rid of it.
Perhaps you could turn this into a Polar Bear map? research their locations, movements, and all that good stuff. at least do the very preliminary "can I find a map that shows where polar bears live in this area and can it be made into a map?" if no to either thing in the "" then you know it's not possible right away.
Cool thought, I found these quickly:
Click image to enlarge.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:14 pm

I'd like to see the ice cap made into a region in and of itself. The individual territories could be the major glaciers in the area.
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:17 pm

honestly ide just like to see a simple greenland map, not turning it into anything fancy like polarbear inhabitation or anything
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:26 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:honestly ide just like to see a simple greenland map, not turning it into anything fancy like polarbear inhabitation or anything

amen to that
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:12 pm

maybe ocean connections like Iceland, instead of accross land connections, this might help to also take up some of your useless space
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:22 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:maybe ocean connections like Iceland, instead of accross land connections, this might help to also take up some of your useless space

It's kind of hard to make connections between land-locked territories seaborne, dontcha think ;) :roll:

Captain the.killing.44

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:25 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
LED ZEPPELINER wrote:maybe ocean connections like Iceland, instead of accross land connections, this might help to also take up some of your useless space

It's kind of hard to make connections between land-locked territories seaborne, dontcha think ;) :roll:

i was thinking change it to the costal territories
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:37 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:

Well then there would be only one connection, and the map would be ridiculously Iceland-esque.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:39 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
LED ZEPPELINER wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:

Well then there would be only one connection, and the map would be ridiculously Iceland-esque.

whats wrong with icelandesque, when i think iceland i think greenland and wehn i think greenland, i think iceland (then again im a little crazy) but the way your map is set up now, it is put together the way the iceland map is
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Map Handbook wrote:General Rules
1. A map should be ‘inherently unique either in gameplay, location, or theme’.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby RjBeals on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Nice first draft TK. Colors look great. The white territ names also add a nice "cold" touch. The polar bear is also nice, however it may take up too much room. I would suggest making it maybe smaller. You don't that extra 1/3 space on the right side where the legend / bear are. The map is the most important. The ocean already is top notch. The territ colors also. I like this draft. I know you say you like the title, but it's too large for me. This map could be really cut down in size if you resize some of the objects and reposition them.

Now - isn't like 99% of Greenland a glacier? I'm not sure I would have picked Greenland to make a CC map out of, but you have, so I'll leave it at that. Are your borders made up or based off something? I think you need to represent the glacier better. Sort of like I did Iceland. You need to scrap that blue swirl in the center, and make it a white glacier. Not just plain white, but put some texture in it. It may take some work, but I think you'll get more positive feedback if you do.

Personally, I'm not a fan of curving the region names ontop/behind the entire region. Oaktown does that a lot. It's really hard to get it to look good. I think for this map, I would prefer a minimap. There's nothing wrong with them. It helps the colorblind people as well.

As noted already - the straight dotted connection lines look funny. I would try some alternative connectors. Dotted lines are fine, but maybe curve them a bit. Maybe once you add the glaciers, make the dotted lines curve over the glaciers, to give the illusion of some height.

Finally - I think a few extra touches would be nice. Minimal of course, but some drop shadows, glows, maybe bevels & such. It looks very flat now. Not bad, but I think some more efx could go far with this map.

Overall - excellent first draft. This is a nice one. Good work.

Private RjBeals

Postby Dr.Winnerman on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:15 pm

I think it is very good! the only thing, as i told you before, that i am not jumping for joy over are the fonts. I think that "dead" region's texture is nice, and i like the connections between the regions
Corporal Dr.Winnerman

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:19 pm

savissivik and ilulissat are both grey when all the other territ names are white
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby BrendanGillis on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Nice start but a few things need addressing.

Firstly, you gotta get rid of the 'continent' names from the playable area. While the territory names are all very legible, the continent names are very hard to read and just look generally messy. I think the suggestion someone had about using a mini-map map is your best bet, and may help fill up some dead space as well. Alternatively, you could try kinda curving them around the shoreline but they may entail moving the tert names that are currently over water. Also, it'd be nice if you could keep Ilulissat, Savissivik, and Sisimiut the same color as the rest (the white tert names do help with the icy-feel), but with the current background color in Upernavik I can see how that will be a problem.

Secondly, the ice-cap needs to look more like an icecap, and the connections across need to bend more. I like someone's suggestion of placing territories on the ice cap itself, but barring that, rj beals suggestion of contouring them around whatever glacier features you come up with would look way better.

Thirdly, the polar bear looks good but is way too big. Also, technically speaking the Greenland coat of arms is a polar bear on a blue shield, and throwing that in behind him wouldn't hurt I don't think (a metallic blue instead of the flat azure that is traditionally used could look cool).

Lastly, the bonuses are way off (not that that is important at this stage) and the legend needs some work to make it more visually appealing.

But all in all, this is a pretty good start. Keep it up.
Sergeant 1st Class BrendanGillis

Next

Return to The Atlas