What is the competition for?
The banners that current title and set apart our sections are old, and to be honest, bland. For a Newsletter covering the most graphically talented people on site, that's a little contradictory. So we'd like to replace them with better-looking, shnazzier, and more Foundry-like banners.
What banners are being replaced?
All of them save WCA's Tablet, plus banners for sections that don't have one yet. More specifically...
- From the Senior Editor (none yet)
- Maps in Development
- A Look Back
- Community Perspective
- Community Request (none yet)
- Recently Quenched
- Final Forge
- Main Foundry
- Advanced Drafts
- Inside Spotlight (none yet)
What are the requirements for these banners?
- All banners should have some sort of common theme to them.
- The dominant font should be Stencil or a font very similar to it. You can use other fonts as echoes of the main one if you want.
- The dominant colors from our current scheme should still correspond to the same sections (blue for Editorial, red for Maps, green for Spotlight, purple for A Look Back, yellow for Community Perspective, teal for News). Sections without a banner (or a dominant color) already can be any color.
- The maximum width of each SECTION banner is 500 pixels, the maximum width of each SUB SECTION banner is 250 pixels.
- The maximum height of the title banner is 300 pixels, the maximum height of every other banner is 70 pixels each.
- The source file or the author need to be available should we add new columns.
So how will the competition go?
Over the next two weeks (until the 17th Issue releases, more specifically), anyone who wants to be in the competition needs to PM to me, TaCktiX, 3 of the required banners (a full set is NOT required by this time). It is preferred, but not required, that one of those is the title banner. All submissions will be posted in this topic concurrent with the release of the 17th Issue for comments.
Taking any comments gotten, all people participating then have 2 more weeks to get a full set of banners completed. On the 18th Issue's release, all full sets will be put up for a vote for 2 weeks. The top two as of the 19th Issue's release will then have a week to make final tweaks and a final week for a vote on the better of the two. The winner's banners will be present in the 20th Issue and the winner will also be brought onto Foundry Newsletter Staff (at his/her discretion) for primarily Graphics, but potentially anything else he/she wants to work on.