Conquer Club

Greenland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Greenland - v4 on p1&3 › added minimap

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:07 am

Joodoo
a bonus for holding the "capital" might be nice
That'd be "Nuuk" … not a bad idea. It's in the busiest region so that could work pretty well.

Neon I'll get to your comments later. gotta run ;)

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby yeti_c on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:11 am

I'd drop the attack routes legend bit - it's pretty damn obvious on this map - and it seems to tie the map to the minimap a bit - implying that area is more land...

C>
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:31 am

The Neon Peon
Add something to the land. It still looks really plain and boring.
Done.
Take a look at the Iceland map, it has a lot of snow areas and other things in the land, which you might not notice at first glance, but add a lot of effect. Or perhaps simply do what the Scotland map does with the darker colors around borders.
Bit of both ;) .
Just play around with some stuff. :)
as always ;)
A few other points:
1. "Denmark Strait" should be horizontal, or change the "Baffin Bay" to run along the edge of the continent too.

Fixed.
2. I would like to see the glacier texture more pronounced.
Reduced opacity of the grunge overlay layers that are on the glacier.
3. There is gray between Nord and Danmarkshavn (top right tip.), along with some other inlets.
Fixed.
I love the background, and your attack lines especially. Map looks great. Good luck with it.
Thanks Neon :)

yeti_c
I'd drop the attack routes legend bit - it's pretty damn obvious on this map - and it seems to tie the map to the minimap a bit - implying that area is more land...
Done. I didn't really want it, but added it out of confusion from some people. I'll put it back if necessary.

Large Version 5
Click image to enlarge.

show: Updates and To-Do

Keep the comments pourin' in!
Captain the.killing.44

Re: Greenland - v5 on p1&4 › textured & burned

Postby InsomniaRed on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:27 am

Hmm something about the glacier now just isn't doing it for me. Love the changes, but something about the glacier is throwing me off. I need to figure out what it is, but this map is looking really great .44!
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Major InsomniaRed

Postby The Neon Peon on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:25 am

New land looks a lot better. Love hat you did to it.

Just a few points this time:
Can you add a translation to the "Nunarput..."?
The minimap seems a bit big. Try reducing the size a little even if it is 75%

I am not sure what you change the colors on certain words in the legend. I would suggest making each column the same color, making each line the same color, or making them all the same. It just looks kind of odd if you have KILLING and not the rest of your full username. The black colons are almost impossible to see, remove them or make them visible.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby MrBenn on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 am

InsomniaRed wrote:Hmm something about the glacier now just isn't doing it for me. Love the changes, but something about the glacier is throwing me off. I need to figure out what it is, but this map is looking really great .44!

Hmmm... I think the glacier looks a bit plasticy, and doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the map. The other thing that bugs me about it, is that the glacier is 'unplayable', but you have a couple of direct paths straight across the middle of it... so it's 'unplayable' but not 'impassable' - this seems like a bit of a dichotomy?

The minimap still feels too big; and I dislike the fact that there is nothing visually to give a clue that it is a part of the legend and not another island? Yes, it has names and numbers on it, but both the main map and the minimap are just floating...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:45 am

InsomniaRed
Hmm something about the glacier now just isn't doing it for me. Love the changes, but something about the glacier is throwing me off. I need to figure out what it is, but this map is looking really great .44!
Thanks :) . Hopefully this half-update took a step in the right direction.

The Neon Peon
New land looks a lot better. Love hat you did to it.
good :)
Just a few points this time:
Can you add a translation to the "Nunarput..."?

Done.
The minimap seems a bit big. Try reducing the size a little even if it is 75%
Done.
I am not sure what you change the colors on certain words in the legend. I would suggest making each column the same color, making each line the same color, or making them all the same. It just looks kind of odd if you have KILLING and not the rest of your full username. The black colons are almost impossible to see, remove them or make them visible.
Done … I think. I don't really mind the "—"'s being hard to see, unless it really bugs someone.

MrBenn
Hmmm... I think the glacier looks a bit plasticy, and doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the map.
Like before, Hopefully this half-update took a step in the right direction.
The other thing that bugs me about it, is that the glacier is 'unplayable', but you have a couple of direct paths straight across the middle of it... so it's 'unplayable' but not 'impassable' - this seems like a bit of a dichotomy?
"Uninhabitable" (because that's basically what it is) sound better?
The minimap still feels too big; and I dislike the fact that there is nothing visually to give a clue that it is a part of the legend and not another island? Yes, it has names and numbers on it, but both the main map and the minimap are just floating...
Fixed, and added a title.
======================================================================================
Okay here's a partial update, mostly stuff that I recieved from wcaclimbing in private but also updating the things listed above. I have put the ice texture there only partally, but if people like it it can be there to stay ;)
Version 6
Click image to enlarge.

Captain the.killing.44

Re: Greenland - v6 on p1&4 › new icecap (again — only partial)

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:19 am

Hi .44

Your map is simple and looks good.

I have some suggestions for you:

First post:

I like to see more info in your first post. (see your korea :) )
Wrote the number of territories (not in a spoiler)
Actual bonuses and how you calculated them.
First post is the "HQ" of your map in which members have to find all they have to know, but you can decide to leave all things as they are now and add more info in future. ;)

Graphic:
Your choice to wrote continent names on small map is good, don't turn back.
I love the bear :D
I noticed some little things to fix, but they are only small "dots", you can find a "horrible" 5 min GIMP work in spoiler :oops:
There's some darker borders
Some water zones have a strange color (intentionally?)
Obviously i suggest you to fix borders, but about water you can decided to fix them in future.
show

Bonuses

I can't understand how do you calculate them...
Anyways...
Qaanaaq is +2 good chioce, easy to take and defend.
I suggest you to set Upernavik at least to +4, there are 5 territories and you have to defend them all to have the bonus, it's hard to take.
Narsaq is easy to defend +3 could be good but you can up to +4 if you like (for me is too)
Illoqqortoormut is good with a +5 , it's hard to take and 3 continents on 4 can attack this one.
Nurdostgronland has to be up to 4, why do you choose a +6 ? is similar to narsaq, when you take it you have to defend only 3 territories...

I finished my suggestions, for me you could obtain tha Adv stamp in few days.

Good work =D>
I will have a valid alternative to RJ' wonderful iceland for my future ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:53 pm

Alright …

About the first post, I didn't include all that stuff 'cause I'm not exactly sure of it yet … I think I'll bump the tert count up to 32 (good #, no?), and about the bonuses, like I said before — they're numbers that are practically random, and I haven't calculated them or done anything about them. However, I'll do that for v7, as well as splitting some territories (the majority of this will occur in Nurdøst… and I'm thinking about making a tiny bonus up top).

And about those little things … I think that's just the result of so many "nooks and crannies" when I made the crazy borders, and so the (crazy amount of :P ) layer masks I have are missing some parts … I'll do a touch-up of those as well.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Captain the.killing.44

Postby Teflon Kris on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Good work, I like the way you have posted people's points and your responses and regular updates.

The territory link across the sea is a particularly nice effect. And the colour scheme is a nice blend. Plus, of course the Polar Bear is wicked.

I agree with the comments suggesting you stick with a straighforward map - although I have one idea you might wish to consider - temporary (winter) ice regions around the outside of Greenland - I'm not sure which areas of sea ice over - I imagine there are some towards Canada - an idea, whether they are extra territories or not it might be an extra graphical feature. If ice around the outside were slightly 'lower' in perspetive than the land but slightly 'higher' than the normal sea it might look cool (or it might look stupid though). Just an idea.

Bonus-wise the 'killer neutrals' and +1 for capital are features that fit with the map. Although not necessarily needed. If you do go for killer neutrals worth crossing, how about the north pole with a bonus for holding it? That might be overload for this kind of map though.

There's some handy bonus calculators on the tools thread.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby aequitas08 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:02 pm

Good, that glacial region is coming along beautifully, perhaps adding some distinct ice onto the inland territs may help the glacier integrate with the rest of the land (now it looks very separate like a photo amid drawings).

I am very interested in seeing the new bonus region and increased territs.

Also maybe put up a map with killer territs in the glacier region just to get more feedback, personally i find it easier to decide on whether i like a feature when i can see it and it is not just theory.

I'm looking forward to seeing this map proceed through foundry. good work.
-aequitas08
Sergeant aequitas08

Postby gimil on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:32 pm

I can smell a hint of RJbeals grundge in this map! I think this map is extreamly similar in style and gameplay to that of iceland. I think this could compliment that map very nicely.

Good start .44
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Greenland - v7 on p1&5 › new icecap (again)

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 pm

DJ Teflon
Good work, I like the way you have posted people's points and your responses and regular updates.

The territory link across the sea is a particularly nice effect. And the colour scheme is a nice blend. Plus, of course the Polar Bear is wicked.

I agree with the comments suggesting you stick with a straighforward map - although I have one idea you might wish to consider - temporary (winter) ice regions around the outside of Greenland - I'm not sure which areas of sea ice over - I imagine there are some towards Canada - an idea, whether they are extra territories or not it might be an extra graphical feature. If ice around the outside were slightly 'lower' in perspetive than the land but slightly 'higher' than the normal sea it might look cool (or it might look stupid though). Just an idea.
I quite like this idea, but however I took the Greenland map I traced for the map, which also showed Iceland and Canada, and the only thing that showed up by my dimenions was Iceland, which plopped itself right in the middle of the title.
Bonus-wise the 'killer neutrals' and +1 for capital are features that fit with the map. Although not necessarily needed. If you do go for killer neutrals worth crossing, how about the north pole with a bonus for holding it? That might be overload for this kind of map though.
The capital bonus I am still wondering about, but I don't think I'll go further past decaying territories in the ice cap, if I even do stretch the gameplay like that.
There's some handy bonus calculators on the tools thread.
Yup, used 'em before and used 'em for this update ;)

aequitas08
Good, that glacial region is coming along beautifully, perhaps adding some distinct ice onto the inland territs may help the glacier integrate with the rest of the land (now it looks very separate like a photo amid drawings).
Hmm, yes. The problem is with my incredible amount of grunge, overlay, and opacity change (see: 15 different grunge layers, 9 different layer mask types, and 4 of which have a color overlay on them :shock: ), I not much shows through. Maybe just blurring that border (the icecap one) would work for some blending? I'm up for any suggestions, and I'll play around with stuff.
I am very interested in seeing the new bonus region and increased territs.
They're up … we're at 32 terts now.
Also maybe put up a map with killer territs in the glacier region just to get more feedback, personally i find it easier to decide on whether i like a feature when i can see it and it is not just theory.
True, but unless I get a lot of good feedback for this idea I think I'll shy away from a somewhat complex gameplay.
I'm looking forward to seeing this map proceed through foundry. good work.
-aequitas08

Thanks, and hopefully we can make this a quick one ;)

gimil
I can smell a hint of RJbeals grundge in this map! I think this map is extreamly similar in style and gameplay to that of iceland. I think this could compliment that map very nicely.
Good start .44

Thanks gimil, and yes I took a lot from the style of Rj and Benn's England map. Hopefully the gameplay is different enough from Iceland — if it's not we can always go for those frostbite-decaying terts in the middle ;)

so here's Version 7 (Large)
Click image to enlarge.

[spoiler=Updates and To-Do]
Updates:
  • 32 terts
  • touched up icecap
  • touched up all but one (i think) color mess-up
  • renamed ice cap in minimap
  • redid title
  • added real bonus numbers

To-Do
  • fix last color differentials (Daneborg & Nord region)
  • experiment with ice cap blending with other terts
  • :-s

Keep 'er going!
Captain the.killing.44

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:19 pm

I notice that the land has lost a lot of texture...

The borders (lines) between territories were better when they were slightly faded and blended in with the rest of the map rather than stand out. (last version's were better)
- This might just be because of the land texture change, not sure.

Qaanaaq should be worth 2 not 3. It has 4 territories and two of them are borders. Like South America in the Classic Map.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:26 pm

The Neon Peon
I notice that the land has lost a lot of texture...
The borders (lines) between territories were better when they were slightly faded and blended in with the rest of the map rather than stand out. (last version's were better)
- This might just be because of the land texture change, not sure.

I think I might've hidden a layer of grunge when I saved it, thus making the .jpg -1 layer. I'll get that back quick.
Qaanaaq should be worth 2 not 3. It has 4 territories and two of them are borders. Like South America in the Classic Map.
Fixed.

I'll edit this with v8 in a sec.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby MrBenn on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:28 pm

This map is looking very good, and looks destined to hit the main foundry in the near future ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:36 pm

MrBenn
This map is looking very good, and looks destined to hit the main foundry in the near future ;-)
Thank you sir :)
You stickied it, but no official stamp. What's up with that? :-s

I'm working on v8 with cleaned up color differentials and made the land more like v6 — darker, texture, etc.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Okie dokies, here's Large Version 8
Click image to enlarge.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Currently, "Municipal Bonuses" stands out more than the title. I would think that the title, although it looks good right now, might be made in a way that the eye is drawn to it, rather than the label on the minimap.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Re: Greenland - v8 on p1&5 › texture's back, what next?

Postby tlane on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:23 pm

This is looking DRAFT worthy to me!! =D>
The graphics look great and the gameplay looks fine.
I would maybe even-out the grunge layers. To me I see more texture on Qaanaaq and Nurdostgronland then the other continents but that may just be me.

looks great!
tlane
Private tlane

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:00 pm

The Neon Peon
Currently, "Municipal Bonuses" stands out more than the title. I would think that the title, although it looks good right now, might be made in a way that the eye is drawn to it, rather than the label on the minimap.
Fixed. Lowered opacity on "Municipal Bonuses" and made the title a lighter color with a black stroke.

tlane
This is looking DRAFT worthy to me!! =D>
The graphics look great and the gameplay looks fine.

I would maybe even-out the grunge layers. To me I see more texture on Qaanaaq and Nurdostgronland then the other continents but that may just be me.
Just you … they're all the same layer. Anyone else have this prob?

Click image to enlarge.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby InsomniaRed on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Hmm, looking good. Let's see, I think the borders between some territories down in Narsaq are a bit too bright, they could be a bit more defined. Definitely loving the attack routes, they make me happy :P I am sort of missing the v7 glacier now. Gah I can't make up my mind! I should just shut it about the glacier :lol:

Looking amazing .44, keep it up! ;)
Major InsomniaRed

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:25 pm

InsomniaRed
Hmm, looking good. Let's see, I think the borders between some territories down in Narsaq are a bit too bright, they could be a bit more defined.
That's 'cause of the contrast with the dark blue … I'll see what burning that does.
Definitely loving the attack routes, they make me happy :P
:P
I am sort of missing the v7 glacier now. Gah I can't make up my mind! I should just shut it about the glacier :lol:
No, don't shut it! :P I just extended the layer further out, zooming in a bit more on a particular area in the ice. I kinda like the old one too … we'll see.
Looking amazing .44, keep it up! ;)
Thanks ;)

Captain the.killing.44

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:29 am

MrBenn wrote:You stickied it, but no official stamp. What's up with that?

The Advanced Draft Stamp was scrapped when the forum re-org was done as far as i know ;) They are probably just stickied so MrBenn has a clear distinction of what maps are almost there and which maps aren't there yet.
Captain samuelc812

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:18 am

samuelc812
MrBenn wrote:You stickied it, but no official stamp. What's up with that?

The Advanced Draft Stamp was scrapped when the forum re-org was done as far as i know ;) They are probably just stickied so MrBenn has a clear distinction of what maps are almost there and which maps aren't there yet.
Thanks, sam - gotcha. By the way, you quoted Benn when I wrote that … I hope Benn isn't confused about his own stamp :P
v9 later

Captain the.killing.44

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas