This is An Evolutionary Tournament II!
I am organizing a 128-player triple-elimination 1-vs-1 tournament. Yes, that is triple-elimination...meaning that you can survive two losses and still win the tournament. This helps to alleviate the "bad dice" or "bad map" complaints, as the "survival of the fittest species" endures.
And just like the name says, this tournament itself is evolving, so if you have played in one of my previous tournaments, please re-read these rules as there are some significant differences!
However, some notes for those considering this tournament:
1. This will be a NO-SPOILS 1-vs-1 sequential adjacent-reinforcement no-fog tournament. No luck of the cards involved...just your skill. Yes, that is NO-SPOILS.
2. The final victor will receive a one-year PREMIUM upgrade, purchased by myself. As well, the participant with the highest winning percentage who is NOT the final victor will receive a 6-month premium upgrade. If there are two tied for the highest winning percentage, then both will receive it. If there are three or more tied for it, then none of them will receive it...sorry. And finally, anyone getting the premium upgrade will also receive the even more prestigious EVOLUTIONARY TOURNAMENT MEDALLION designed and created by my lovely and ever-patient wife...and really, who wouldn't want that?
3. There is no requirement to be a premium, however there will be a requirement to join your "next game in the tournament" within 48 hours of it being ready. So if you're not a premium, you'll have to make sure you have a "game slot open" or it would cause you to be bumped out (alternated or default loss if not in the first round). The 48-hour-requirement is simply to keep things moving along so the tourney doesn't stall out. As well, "question mark newbies" will not be allowed to play in this tournament. Sorry, but unfortunately too many question marks are simply not reliable.
4. This will NOT be a bracket-style tournament, as my past ones were. For each round, every player will be randomly assigned an opponent using RANDOM.ORG. It's entirely possible that you may face the same person more than once (eventually, it will be almost unavoidable, if you last that long and your previous opponents do as well). There will be no seedings at all for this tournament, and you will also not necessarily face someone with the same record as you. You may face four straight undefeated players, for instance...it's all random. Eventually as players are knocked out, I may be required to insert a single bye into the round (if we have an odd number of players still alive). In that instance, the bye will also be randomly drawn at the same time as the names. Anyone facing a bye in a round will NOT receive a win for that round...though they also will not be risking a loss. My one exception to this "randomness" is that no player may receive a bye for two successive rounds (the most likely time for this to happen would be when only three players are left in the tournament). In other words, they must play at least one game in between. Also, this means that all matches in a round must be completed before we move to the next round (well, after the first three rounds anyway), as we won't know who is actually still alive until all games are completed for each round.
5. For each match, a random map will also be drawn. In other words, it is entirely possible that each match of the first round will be on a different map, and just as possible that a particular map will come up a couple of times. This random map draw will be done via dice-rolls (I'm an old AD&D'er, so I've got masses of dice around the house). Through the course of the tournament, it is certainly possible (you might even say likely) that a participant will play on the same map more than once.
6. All maps that are NOT Beta maps at the time of the random map drawing for that game will be used. Keep in mind that maps coming out of beta WILL be available for the random map drawing, so if you simply cannot stand a map currently in beta, you can pre-emptively no-map it for this tournament. My rationale for allowing maps to be played as they come out of beta is that most everyone will be just as clueless as you are on the new maps, so it should still be an even match. Just keep in mind that I will not be coming back to your no-map lists once the tournament starts (I'll have them all listed separately offline), so altering them here in the thread won't help you any.
7. I will be playing in this tournament, so I'm saving money if I beat your butts. Don't let that happen!
8. Each participant will be allowed to select up to five of their own individual "no maps". These will be maps that they CANNOT play on during the tournament (typically, these would be maps the player does not enjoy). Please put your "no maps" into your join-message in this thread. If your "no maps" are not in your join-message, I will not hold to them! If you don't put them in initially that's fine, but then make sure you edit your original message to put them into it. It was far too much work sorting through multiple messages by the same individual to track down their map non-selections. It is also perfectly acceptable to state that you'll play on any map or that you want to list less than five "no maps".
9. Any alternates that are placed into the tournament will simply fall into the spot that was vacated (I will not re-draw for alternates, essentially).
10. Alternates will NOT be used after the first round has completed. After that, any no-show will be treated as a bye (and again, the opponent WILL NOT gain a win out of it).
11. Each round's drawings are final.
12. The first 128 to respond that they want to participate are in. I will also be accepting 10 alternates, in case someone doesn't join the first round by the 48th hour of the tournament start. If I don't get enough to completely fill the tournament, then I will simply start the tournament with what we have just before we are considered "abandoned". Reminder...when you respond, please also list your "no maps", including all alternates!
13. I will be keeping track of each participant's tournament record. Each round's results, records and opponents will be posted into the second and third posts in this thread. This way, you can keep track of the proceedings there. Be sure to check on things!
14. Lastly, I will keep a running list of my previous tournament winners and best winning percentages here (winners gaining a one-year PREMIUM UPGRADE):
The Evolutionary Tournament: Winner: Funkelee, Best Other Winning Percentage: Gilligan
An Evolutionary Tournament II: Winner: Taurelias, Best Other Winning Percentage: dafoz (6-month premium awarded)
An Evolutionary Tournament III: Winner: philh, Best Other Winning Percentage: Gargalee (6-month premium awarded)
I have attempted to answer all questions, but if you have a question about anything I've missed, please PM me and I'll get right back to you.
Last edited by Woodruff
on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 52 times in total.