Conquer Club

Deleting Games

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Deleting Tournament Games

Postby barterer2002 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:02 am

I never ever send players games that they aren't supposed to be in because I expect that if I do that someone will do what happens here. I don't really like it when other organizers send me all the games in the round with instructions to find mine as I find it to be lazy. Some tournaments take a while to get the PMs out because of this (for instance, to start the Battle of Escalating supremacy I sent out 100 PMs the first day and over 700 overall for Round 1). My feeling is and has been that as the TO I am taking on the responsibility to make sure the tournament is well run and organized. Sometimes I will make mistakes and have to go correct them of course but personally I'm unsympathetic to the claim that 64 PMs in Round 1 is too many.

Also, if you think its tough now, when I started doing tournaments every player HAD to be individually PMed as there wasn't a method to send to more than one player at a time. It was a good lesson in cut and paste.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Megadeth666 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:36 am

jpcloet wrote:Here's and interesting thought, your tournament was so desirable he had to join all the games as he was so excited....

I know you want to save pm's but if you had sent smaller more direct pm's, it could have been avoided. I almost did the same thing as the email was a bit confusing. (I had to read the pm several times to make sure I was doing the right thing) Using Excel I'm sure you can find a way to template a message.

Also if you changed the format, like this, you'll get more stable responses.

Please join the game beside your name only

jpcloet Game 1

codierose Game 2etc.

I WAS GONNA REPLY WITH A SIMILAR POST AS ABOVE....
I HAVE SCREWED A COUPLE GAMES UP MYSELF ,AND WISHED I COULD DELETE THEM.

WHEN I FIRST STARTED TOURS, I WOULD SEND OUT INDIVIDUAL PM'S...BUT IT TOOK FOR EVER
THAN AFTER SOME THAT I PARTICIPATED IN JUST 1 MASS PM WOULD BE SENT OUT, TELLING YOU TO JOIN JUST THAT GAME....SO I STARTED DOING THAT, AND IT SAVED ALOT OF TIME
GOTTA TRUST THE PEOPLE YOU LET JOIN AND EMPHISIZE TO ONLY JOIN THE GAMES NEXT TO YOUR NAME

Private 1st Class Megadeth666

Postby GenuineEarlGrey on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Woodruff wrote:
GenuineEarlGrey wrote:[Talk about the spreadsheet approach, see above for details]

Well, that would be nice for what it would do, certainly...but it would still leave the problem of players potentially joining the wrong games, as I don't believe this would alleviate the PM side of things.

It would help. Your spreadsheet would help you keep track of (or generate if the system database were to) password protected games. You'd then have to send out the passwords.

Would that make it any easier?

E.G.
Lieutenant GenuineEarlGrey

Postby Woodruff on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:06 pm

GenuineEarlGrey wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
GenuineEarlGrey wrote:[Talk about the spreadsheet approach, see above for details]

Well, that would be nice for what it would do, certainly...but it would still leave the problem of players potentially joining the wrong games, as I don't believe this would alleviate the PM side of things.

It would help. Your spreadsheet would help you keep track of (or generate if the system database were to) password protected games. You'd then have to send out the passwords.
Would that make it any easier?
E.G.

The passwords I used for my previous tournaments were randomly generated already. But that being said, passwords don't matter if the thing is "auto-joined", which is REALLY what caused the problem. By my trying to make it easier on the players, I basically created the ease by which these players screwed things up.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby GenuineEarlGrey on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Woodruff wrote:passwords don't matter if the thing is "auto-joined"

auto-joined is that geek-speak <sniggers> for just joining a public game?

Woodruff wrote:By my trying to make it easier on the players, I basically created the ease by which these players screwed things up.

Yup! That's people for you. Had a similar experience in a tournament involving real people. Left the Assistant T.M. to it so I could start my match - things disintegrated from there.

People, can't live with them, can't live without them. (well, you can, but it gets quiet).
Lieutenant GenuineEarlGrey

Postby Woodruff on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 am

GenuineEarlGrey wrote:
Woodruff wrote:passwords don't matter if the thing is "auto-joined"

auto-joined is that geek-speak <sniggers> for just joining a public game?

Heh...no. There is a capability (usually used only by tournament organizers in my experience, but can be used by anyone) to send someone a link to join a game where all they have to do is click the link. No need for them to even know what the password is (although the password is still required to create the game).
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Previous

Return to Archived Suggestions