Conquer Club

Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby j35t3r.us on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Concise description:
Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA play maps.

Specifics:
Just like you have when you click a map to play it, it offers you a "beta map discussion link."

Add this link to the PLAY map, so while you are playing it you can make suggestions or comments.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
Will offer a quick and easy route to reporting bugs/suggestions/comments while playing the map and the idea is fresh.
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Re: Add "Discussion Topic" link to all BETA maps while playing.

Postby john9blue on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:42 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:Concise description:

Specifics:
Just like you have when you click a map to play it, it offers you a "beta map discussion link."

Add this link to the PLAY map, so while you are playing it you can make suggestions or comments.

Will offer a quick and easy route to reporting bugs/suggestions/comments while playing the map and the idea is fresh.

I don't see why not. ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Woodruff on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Specifics:

Interesting...good idea.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 am

There currently are already links to a Map's Discussion thread, if you click on the thumbnail image. You can click on them either from the game finder, or your own my games page, etc.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby j35t3r.us on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:51 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:There currently are already links to a Map's Discussion thread, if you click on the thumbnail image. You can click on them either from the game finder, or your own my games page, etc.

Please re-read or re-understand (<---- made that up), my post. The others figured out what I am talking about.

I have 100+ games going at once, scrolls through all my maps trying to find the Beta-map I just "Go to next game"'d is tough...

Add that Discussion link RIGHT TO THE MAP! Like: *WHAM* right there... ;p
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby GenuineEarlGrey on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:09 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:Please re-read or re-understand (<---- made that up), my post. The others figured out what I am talking about.... ...Add that Discussion link RIGHT TO THE MAP! Like: *WHAM* right there... ;p

Just re-remind me: You want the Cartographers to add a link from their map, which is an image (that may have been developed over many months), so that us users can click straight there.
Lieutenant GenuineEarlGrey

Postby chipv on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:30 am

j35t3r.us wrote:

AndyDufresne wrote:There currently are already links to a Map's Discussion thread, if you click on the thumbnail image. You can click on them either from the game finder, or your own my games page, etc.

Please re-read or re-understand (<---- made that up), my post. The others figured out what I am talking about.

I have 100+ games going at once, scrolls through all my maps trying to find the Beta-map I just "Go to next game"'d is tough...

Add that Discussion link RIGHT TO THE MAP! Like: *WHAM* right there... ;p

I see what you're saying - you can also have this page open - Map Information which contains detailed information to help with the map as well as discussion topic, but your point is taken.
Captain chipv

Postby saraith on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 am

Tournament games do that already.

it could be made part of the XML, which would get removed when the map goes "live"
Code: Select all
<beta ="yes">
<discussion_url>http://whatever.the.url/topic.for?themap=is</discussion_url>
</beta>

after that, it's just some AJAX to put the URL in the right place
To achieve balance, first you must grow.
To grow, first you must learn.
To learn, first you must listen.
To listen, first you must shut the hell up.
-Buddhist saying
Corporal 1st Class saraith

Postby chipv on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:10 am

saraith wrote:Tournament games do that already.

it could be made part of the XML, which would get removed when the map goes "live"
Code: Select all
<beta ="yes">
<discussion_url>http://whatever.the.url/topic.for?themap=is</discussion_url>
</beta>

after that, it's just some AJAX to put the URL in the right place

This already exists in maps.xml

<topic> and <status>
Captain chipv

Postby lancehoch on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:19 am

chipv wrote:This already exists in maps.xml

<topic> and <status>

They are asking for the game page to have a header above the map saying something like "XXXXXX map is still in the beta stage, please visit [url]the thread[/url] to post any comments."
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby chipv on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:53 am

lancehoch wrote:
chipv wrote:This already exists in maps.xml

<topic> and <status>

They are asking for the game page to have a header above the map saying something like "XXXXXX map is still in the beta stage, please visit [url]the thread[/url] to post any comments."

Yes, thanks, I know. I have responded to that already with an alternative, so have other people. The last post was a correction of the previous post and in any case the site does not need AJAX to print the link. This is a relatively easy change.
Captain chipv

Postby j35t3r.us on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. Not trying to get everyone heated up around here. I LOVE playing Beta maps, also love commenting on stuff found in beta maps(when lines drawn are too thin, when one countries bonus is worth more than another, when there is an error, when starting with bonuses happens regularly, etc etc), again, I play 100+ games at once, scrolling down my list of games or "finding the map" takes a good 2-3 min. If it was right there I would be able to click the link.

Lance, thanks.

Chip, thanks.

Guys, thanks.

I don't want the actual map ALTERED. How about a regular old HTML link someone on the page? Hmmm, actually, more I think about it, a HEADER(someone mentioned that here) STAMPED on the map works too! Thoughts?
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby cicero on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 pm

j35t3r.us wrote:This will improve the following aspects of the site:

I think the idea should be extended to all maps, not just beta maps, that way when a player has a problem with a map they will be more likely to post (correctly) in the relevant map thread as opposed to (incorrectly) here in Suggs & Bugs ...
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby j35t3r.us on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:38 pm

O.o GOOD CALL!
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby ender516 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:06 pm

cicero wrote:
j35t3r.us wrote:This will improve the following aspects of the site:

I think the idea should be extended to all maps, not just beta maps, that way when a player has a problem with a map they will be more likely to post (correctly) in the relevant map thread as opposed to (incorrectly) here in Suggs & Bugs ...

I was about to suggest a link like this on all maps when I did the right thing and searched the forum. The discussion topic link that you can reach from the popup maps from the Browse Maps thumbnails is exactly what is needed. I use the discussion topic as a help page and introduction to any map that is new to me, and a quick way to get there from an active game would be very handy. May I suggest that the link be added along with the "[refresh map] [larger map] [remove colour codes]" links? I fear adding a header might cause more vertical scrolling, and stamping something on the map might obscure important information. I do not (yet) use any addons or plugins, and would prefer this feature be integral to the site. I do agree that there should be some indication that the map being played is in beta test, so if there is no other indication of this on the Game Play page, the link might read either "[discussion topic - beta]" or simply "[discussion topic]".
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby j35t3r.us on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Anyone considering this?
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:45 am

From your "My Games" page, you can click on the thumbnail, which brings up the larger image of the map, which includes the Discussion Link.

Otherwise, I don't think Lack is looking to add too many more things to the current game map viewing screen, until the site is redesigned to allow for more room and data.

--Andy

Postby owenshooter on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:36 am

AndyDufresne wrote:From your "My Games" page, you can click on the thumbnail, which brings up the larger image of the map, which includes the Discussion Link.

Otherwise, I don't think Lack is looking to add too many more things to the current game map viewing screen, until the site is redesigned to allow for more room and data.

yeah, i understand what the OP is saying, and i understand what andy is saying, but if the link were on the actual game you were playing, i bet the number of comments would increase. i'm in a first nations game where both team members have made comments in team chat, and i when i told them how to find the thread to discuss their concerns/comments, they just didn't want to be bothered. i think it would help the foundry out a great deal, and adding it to BETA maps would just be considered part of the process, not cluttering the viewing screen... great idea... have read it several times, and it makes mucho senso...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby spiesr on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:47 pm

Except, that by the time a map is up for play as beta it is essentially finished and the map maker don't intend to make any further changes except to fix glaring issues...
Captain spiesr

Postby ender516 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:49 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:From your "My Games" page, you can click on the thumbnail, which brings up the larger image of the map, which includes the Discussion Link.

--Andy

Neat! It never occurred to me that those thumbnails would be active just like the ones on the Browse Maps page.

Say, here's a thought. Make a click on the actual map on the game map viewing screen take you to the discussion page, or at least to a dialog box which lets you choose to go or cancel. That way, you are adding nothing to the screen, visually. (BOB and Clickable Maps would need to take this into account.)
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby owenshooter on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:27 pm

spiesr wrote:Except, that by the time a map is up for play as beta it is essentially finished and the map maker don't intend to make any further changes except to fix glaring issues...

there are several maps that have had to have the bonuses or xml re-tinkered with after they have gone into beta. right now, they are reconsidering changing the bonuses on pearl harbor and that has been out of beta for quite some time. have you checked the thread about the new germany disaster? what about das schloss, ever heard of that map? i believe even vancouver 2 is discussing the bonuses while in beta. they work on maps all the time, and comments from members playing on them would probably get more people involved in the foundry and perhaps solve problems/issuse faster. that is indeed one way to increase traffic in the foundry, and that has always been a concern for that forum. if tournament games can have links to the tournament threads, why can't beta maps have links to the map threads in the foundry?-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:32 am

ender516 wrote:

--Andy

Neat! It never occurred to me that those thumbnails would be active just like the ones on the Browse Maps page.

Say, here's a thought. Make a click on the actual map on the game map viewing screen take you to the discussion page, or at least to a dialog box which lets you choose to go or cancel. That way, you are adding nothing to the screen, visually. (BOB and Clickable Maps would need to take this into account.)

Right, I'm not sure how feasible this is---since it is technically the gameboard of the game...and not a preview image of the map. We'll see perhaps!

--Andy

Return to Archived Suggestions