Conquer Club

The map formerly known as World Cities

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The map formerly known as World Cities

Postby sully800 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:16 pm

World Cities

ImageImageImage

42 Territories
6 Bonus Regions
No unique gameplay features

V18
Small
Click image to enlarge.

Large
Click image to enlarge.

show: Show older verisons
Last edited by sully800 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Major sully800

Re: World Cities

Postby sully800 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Original Post:

Here is my first draft of the World Cities map. My goal for this map is to create a map of the world that is of standard size (instead of the very large World 2.1). I know that we cannot create a map of the world countries that is too similar to the old classic map, so I have decided to highlight some of the most important cities from different countries around the world.

Because I am using cities instead of countries, all connections will be shown directly (instead of showing zone borders). Each region will be made of zones connected by lines, similar to Midkermia. Please ignore the current aesthetics of the shadows and lines, I understand it does not look very good. I intend to curve the lines to make all connections more aesthetically pleasing once the zones are finalized. Army shadows probably will not be used in the final version, but are shown here for simplicity.

Comments on the region images, colors, title, and bonus labels are welcome.

Click image to enlarge.

42 countries, 6 continents

No unique gameplay items, this map will be exceptionally "standard".

Very traditional gameplay in terms of the continent size, and number of connections between territories
Last edited by sully800 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major sully800

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:23 pm

I like it.

This looks like the kind of classical map ( ;) ) this site lacks suprisingly. All of those people who play World 2.1 and nothing else may like this.

I can only suggest that you try and de-cram this map a bit; a couple of thousand armies in Europe would quickly run each other other, whereas Russia is eerily empty. I've seen several cartographers state that Geogaphy must be exagerrated in the name of a fun map.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Lobster Crush on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:45 pm

I like it. I'm tempted to start nitpicking about which cities are included, but other than that it's a solid idea.

Cheers,
LC
Sergeant 1st Class Lobster Crush

Postby sully800 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Europe definitely needs to be decompressed, and NAmerica if possible. I think switching Moskva to Europe and removing Rome in favor of a Russian territory would help tremendously, but I hate to see Rome disappear.

Nitpicking about cities is fine at this stage, its one of the reasons I've left the map as a stick diagram. I picked some of the most populous cities from diverse geography within each bonus region, but I know there may be better choices out there that I could have missed.

I also tried not to overload cities from one country if there was a choice. Shanghai is too close to Hong Kong and Beijing to justify another Chinese city, so I picked Astana instead. Tehran is another territory that I would be fine with changing, along with most of Africa and S America if there is good reason. I think NAmerica and Europe are the best developed because I am most familiar with those areas and they are the most densely packed with famous cities.
Major sully800

Postby rishaed on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:15 pm

put a connection from rio de jenero..sry about spelling.... to capetown
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby MrBenn on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:11 pm

You've got a good starting platform here.

I'd be interested in seeing how this develops ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Great Idea Sully...

Russia could do with some more cities... but otherwise I think the balance is pretty good.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Lobster Crush on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:36 pm

sully800 wrote:Nitpicking about cities is fine at this stage, its one of the reasons I've left the map as a stick diagram.

Well, in that case ;) :

I'd switch Quebec to Montreal -- Montreal's population is 1.6M, and Quebec City is under 500K. You don't even need to move the circle really.

I think Calgary makes more sense than Edmonton, though Edmonton is farther north so it helps spread things out (plus, Edmonton is a much nicer city in my opinion).

I'd rather Quezon City be Manila.

Hawaii should be Honolulu (since there is no city named Hawaii as far as I know).

I would take out Brazilia and replace it with Buenos Aires, or even keep Brazilia and add Buenos Aires.

To fill out Africa a bit, you could include Casablanca (Morocco), Kinshasa (DR Congo), and Khartoum (Sudan).

The only Russian city I can think of that might work would be Novosibirsk.

I think Berlin or Prague would make more sense than Budapest.

Cheers,
LC
Sergeant 1st Class Lobster Crush

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:17 pm

i cant really tell which bonus hawaii is a part of
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby tlane on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:42 pm

This looks like a great idea!
The only idea i have now is if you could take the texture off the army circles
Also I agree with led
LED ZEPPELINER wrote:i cant really tell which bonus hawaii is a part of

will be back (have to go, did this fast)
tlane
Private tlane

Postby Silent Killer on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Looks good.

But Dublin is conspicuous by its absence!!

SK...
Corporal 1st Class Silent Killer

Postby sully800 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Yeah I noticed too late that I put Quebec instead of Montreal and that I listed Honolulu as Hawaii ](*,) I will definitely update both of those.

Quezon City is much bigger than Manila, and it is the former capital. However Manila is the current capital and the second largest Phillipine city (probably more famous) so thats a fine change if others agree.

I picked Edmonton based on its location primarily, but I'd argue its as famous as Calgary. Lots of people know Edmonton because of the Mall, but I have never been there myself.

Buenos Aires vs Brasilia was another debate, but I think you may be right here. Buenos Aires is better known despite Brasilia being the capital.

Berlin or Prague I agree on as well, instead of Budapest. Leaning toward Berlin right now.

put a connection from rio de jenero..sry about spelling.... to capetown

Doing that would allow easier movement across the map, but it would connect the two smallest continents. If that happens they would both become +3 bonus regions, and I prefer the traditional gameplay of having 2 small, easy to defend regions.

i cant really tell which bonus hawaii is a part of

Honolulu (formerly Hawaii) will belong to North America. In the next addition I will color the names of each city to match the continent they belong to, so differentiation shouldn't be a problem. I know its hard to read most of the NAmerica cities right now because its blue on blue, but that will change to make everything more legible.
Major sully800

Postby sully800 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:26 pm

Silent Killer wrote:Looks good.

But Dublin is conspicuous by its absence!!

SK...

Europe is too cramped already, so if you want to fight it out with London feel free ;)
Major sully800

Postby happy2seeyou on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:39 pm

Nice start Sully :)
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby sully800 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:59 pm

I just had an interesting thought. Most of the cities that have previously been made into maps are currently included in my map (which makes sense because notable cities will commonly become maps over smaller cities). I could adjust some of the current territories to match existing maps (LA becomes San Fran, Atlanta becomes Charleston, etc) and then have a 42 map pack eventually :lol:

Maps that match my cities or could:

Perth could become Cairns
Atlanta = Charleston
Berlin 1961
Hong Kong
Montreal
NYC
Honolulu = Pearl Harbour
Prohibition Chicago
LA = San Fran
Sydney Metro

Is it worth changing those territories to slightly smaller cities so they match an existing map? That could make for a great tournament eventually!

Other areas that are mapped and only represented by one city
Ancient Greece = Athens
British Isles = London
Circus Maximus = Rome
Egypt Lower = Cairo
France = Paris
Iceland = Reykjavik
Indochina = Singapore
Middle East = Dubai
Phillipines = Quezon City/Manila

That's 19/42 territories without having to make any stretches! Interesting... :-k
Major sully800

Postby tlane on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:53 pm

That sounds like a really good idea!
Private tlane

Postby Tisha on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:21 am

you should make the width 630.. it looks like you could use the space
Major Tisha

Postby iancanton on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:42 am

sully

have u run this one past andy already? i ask because this is a map of the world, with geographical continent bonuses and 42 areas where u can place armies. when classic shapes and classic art were introduced, great care was taken for the new maps not to be direct representations of a world map. if nothing has changed since that time, then world cities seems to fall foul of this principle.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby sailorseal on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Lobster Crush wrote:I like it. I'm tempted to start nitpicking about which cities are included, but other than that it's a solid idea.

Cheers,
LC

I agree there is one city in Australia that I feel needs to be included and a few more in Asia
Cook sailorseal

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:21 pm

I think instead of Denver, Las Vegas would be a more interesting city to include. It's certainly more of a "world city" than Denver is.

Casablanca should also be included for sure.

Instead of Athens, Istanbul. And where's Moscow?

All of Asia is too empty really. Perhaps include Seoul and/or Pyongyang?

Instead of Quezon City, perhaps the only city on the map I'd never heard of, maybe include Jakarta?

I love the idea, sorry to throw so many cities out there. Of all these suggestions, I feel most strongly about replacing Denver with Las Vegas. Las Vegas is distinct, Denver is just another midwestern city.
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby captainwalrus on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:28 pm

SultanOfSurreal wrote:Instead of Quezon City, perhaps the only city on the map I'd never heard of, maybe include Jakarta?

Perhaps manila? But perhaps Quezon City is important and I'm just ignant.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby sully800 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Tisha wrote:you should make the width 630.. it looks like you could use the space

Is 630 allowed? I thought that was the old limit but current guides all say 600 px :-s
Major sully800

Postby sully800 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:25 pm

SultanOfSurreal wrote:I think instead of Denver, Las Vegas would be a more interesting city to include. It's certainly more of a "world city" than Denver is.

Casablanca should also be included for sure.

Instead of Athens, Istanbul. And where's Moscow?

All of Asia is too empty really. Perhaps include Seoul and/or Pyongyang?

Instead of Quezon City, perhaps the only city on the map I'd never heard of, maybe include Jakarta?

I love the idea, sorry to throw so many cities out there. Of all these suggestions, I feel most strongly about replacing Denver with Las Vegas. Las Vegas is distinct, Denver is just another midwestern city.

Las Vegas is a good idea, and close enough to Denver that it should work. I wouldn't say Denver is just another city, but I agree Las Vegas is more major.

Moscow will be coming to Europe as I shift the Eurasia border over, I guess at the elimination of Rome which is currently too crowded.

Seoul was on my list but the area is too tight already. I'm thinking of sticking with Russian territories since that is the empty part.

Jakarta is also too close to Singapore, which is why I wanted a territory from the Philippines but it can be switched to Manila.

Ian:
I have not spoken with Andy about this map. I understand the concern about copyright issues, but this map is very different than the Classic map was. All original artwork is the most noticeable chance, but also all places for armies are cities and not countries which makes it inherently unique IMO. The layout by its very nature will become original because it is based on existing cities. If I am asked to stop development I will understand, though I think it will be a shame! (Also, I would not say that "great care" was taken with Classic Shapes or Classic Art. Those maps were hack jobs and the fact that they remain on the site in their current state is an atrocity ;) )
Major sully800

Postby GrimReaper. on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:27 pm

should cario attack Athens??
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions