[Abandoned] - Goblin Tribes

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Goblin Tribes v2.9

Postby Danyael on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:45 pm

version 2.9 is up
ManBungalow wrote:Post by ManBungalow » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:03 pm
"+1 hold 3 bloods"

you think that bonus amount is suitable?
Tisha wrote: yellow, and the borders are just hovering over the top of the land

i changed the bloods(yellow) border does it still look floaty?
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 pm

i think he was referring to the "Bloods" as the (in)famous gang everyone knows. this looks good for a start!

Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby Danyael on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:43 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:i think he was referring to the "Bloods" as the (in)famous gang everyone knows. this looks good for a start!

:roll: maybe i should ask them for copyright permisson :lol:

here is version three
large
Click image to enlarge.

and small
Click image to enlarge.

Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Re: Goblin Tribes v3 graphic critique needed plz

Postby Danyael on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:16 pm

things that make you go umm

was tinkering with the textures a litte and came out with this does it make it worst or better

Click image to enlarge.

as well i have a different title look does this look better
any suggestions would be nice

Re: Goblin Tribes v3 march 30 update added textures pg 1 & 2

Postby Joodoo on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:22 am

I think the background is too dark
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Re: Goblin Tribes v3 march 30 update added textures pg 1 & 2

Postby Danyael on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:23 pm

Joodoo wrote:I think the background is too dark

I've added some lights to the background to brighten it up

Click image to enlarge.

this caused a few pixels to look bad but i am fixing those up

Re: Goblin Tribes v3 apr3 update

Postby FarangDemon on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:41 pm

I would add more, larger images of goblins. That would make it more fun. The more devious the better.
Brigadier FarangDemon

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Nice map so far.
I like it.

Could you make the textures and borders on each continent more similar?
The borders on Muds look painted on and artistic. But the borders on Skulls seem really sharp and contrasting.
I think you should pick one style of borders and use that across the entire map so things work a bit better together.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Danyael on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:59 pm

FarangDemon wrote:I would add more, larger images of goblins. That would make it more fun. The more devious the better.

i will make the goblins bigger for adding more not sure about that but i'll try a few things out

wcaclimbing wrote:Nice map so far.
I like it.

Could you make the textures and borders on each continent more similar?
The borders on Muds look painted on and artistic. But the borders on Skulls seem really sharp and contrasting.
I think you should pick one style of borders and use that across the entire map so things work a bit better together.

thanks for the compliments
yes i agree about the borders i'm currently working on making them all the more artistic look

Re: Goblin Tribes v3.5 apr13 update

Postby Danyael on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Update April 13th V3.5
Changes
Worked on mountains
Smoothed and deleted weird pixels
Redid borders so they all look most part similar (totally erased old and redid with 2px brush and gauss blured)

Rescaled goblin chiefs
Click image to enlarge.

Things to discuss
Add More Goblins
should more in the way of goblins be added to map for game play suggested by farangdemon he wanted to see more goblins to make the map more fun i think this is a good idea but i don't want to added more chiefs so my thoughts are:
-add hobgoblin to four spots on map 1 per tribe i.e. 1 to Sqat, Myz, Fungi, and BiZ (maybe start as neutral +1 autodeploy)
-add goblin shaman to the aforementioned territs which allow you to attack other shaman

i dont want to busy up the map much more due to the fact it takes away from the art style of the textures
other ideas very welcomed I'm having quite the idea block on this

Borders
I have gone back and forth on the best way to make them look i think i have settled on this look still stylized but still pretty defined. with little variations depending on land textures.
my question is, is it well defined enough between different tribes or should i have a different look bordering different tribes and gates
- maybe use a 4px brush add inner glow

i.e. Image
does this look better for those borders?
any thoughts

edit:: added arrows on border example
Last edited by Danyael on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby sailorseal on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:19 pm

I really like it but I am not quite sure what the theme is. Also it took me a moment to understand the bombard path, can you make it clear which direction it goes.
Nice Map!
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby tlane on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 pm

sailorseal wrote:I really like it but I am not quite sure what the theme is.

Maybe i am not understanding you, but i think there is a very clear theme(if you really cant tell it is GOBLINS).
I dont know how you cant see this :?: hopefully you will once you read this post [-o<

Although this theme is clear you may want to play around with it and see what other ideas you can get, in terms of texture for the land and background(i like the goblin theme, so i wouldn't change it o much).

I am confused on a few things and I think they can easily be fixed.
1.Could you change "chiefs" to goblins,or even goblin chiefs, it would make it much clearer
2. You have the bombarding set up more like attack routes, what about instead of those route things, you just say that all "chief"(or goblins) can bombard each other.

Also could you think of some more clever names instead of bloods and muds, fangs and skulls are okay, but i think you could make better.

tlane
sailorseal wrote:come on, now i am all sticky
Private tlane

Medals: 12
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Danyael on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:45 pm

tlane wrote:
sailorseal wrote:I really like it but I am not quite sure what the theme is.

Maybe i am not understanding you, but i think there is a very clear theme(if you really cant tell it is GOBLINS).
I dont know how you cant see this :?: hopefully you will once you read this post [-o<

thank you my brain exploded when i read that

tlane wrote:I am confused on a few things and I think they can easily be fixed.
1.Could you change "chiefs" to goblins,or even goblin chiefs, it would make it much clearer
2. You have the bombarding set up more like attack routes, what about instead of those route things, you just say that all "chief"(or goblins) can bombard each other.

1. You are completly right about "chiefs" should be changed to Goblin Chief even thou its a little redundant it should be clear on the legend and state Goblin Chiefs
2. this is something I've been debating myself due to the fact that one chief cannot bombard all the other "goblin Chiefs" only the nearest as stated at the bottom of the map thought i needed to note the bombardment route to idiot proof it..... (but i have learned that is impossible for some) but maybe if i move the part at bottom of the map closer to the legend it will help
but i would prefer to have it just written in the legend and not clutter the map

tlane wrote:Also could you think of some more clever names instead of bloods and muds, fangs and skulls are okay, but i think you could make better.

sorry but i am quite fond of these names yes simple but goblins aren't the brightest creatures as well from all of the books and D&ding i have done goblin tribe names have always been simple and some what dull

but if you have better ideas for names of the tribes or territs even i'd love to hear and even us them

thank you for your suggs

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Though I understand your Theme is Goblins---the graphics on the map don't seem to contribute to this theme. For some reason, I get a sense of blobs and slime and goo. IT could be the shapes, the colors, textures---or most likely, a combo of them all.

The map feels a little small, territory wise---but for the most part, the general direction of the map is alright---just perhaps look into redesigning the map a litle, working on the theme.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Danyael on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 pm

i am currently working on some changes
adding more territs adding hobgoblin huts
but i was wondering if maybe i should incorporate "Gwyn ap Nudd" a welsh goblin tribe leader
as well I'll probably be changing the tribe names to the main sub types. Knockers(welsh and cornish folklore) trows(scottish folklore) spriggans (english) and the phooka(irish) or maybe kobolt(german) but i think that it would be best for the first four mentioned if i do incorporate "Gwyn ap Nudd" anythoughts

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box