Conquer Club

Mapmakers Guild [Social]

Find or create a usergroup based around a particular interest or commonality.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Map Factory

Postby Qwert on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:49 pm

im :? its these clan who will play clan games or will make a maps?
Natewolfman you all ready member of one clan,so how you can be in these clan to?What will hepend If >Theleft4dead< play against >The Map Factory< clan ?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby jpcloet on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:50 pm

This is a social group, can someone tag [social] in the header?
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby fishydance on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:20 pm

john9blue wrote:I sent in the e-ticket with the members in the first post included. Fishy, Grim, when the forum is up I'll let you guys know so you can apply to get in. :)

Sorry I missed the sign up. I was invited to the original group, but it was such a disaster that I quickly gave up on it. Didn't even bother going to the forum once fighting broke out and people were summarily kicked out. Consequently I didn't see the message about the new group forming, or I would have responded sooner. Since you already have the membership set, you don't have to send me the application. Good luck with the new group. Hopefully it will fare better than the last effort.
Major fishydance
Clan Director
Clan Director

Re: The Map Factory [Social]

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:48 am

Let's try this again,

So we are ALL on the same page this time, I will try to lay out, why I felt a need, for this kind of group.

The recent antics that we all witnessed, by a power hungry 13 year old, is a prime example of just the kind of thing, that I was trying to get away from in the foundry proper.

I learned first hand how difficult it is for someone to try and get a map made, and put into play at CC.

So I thought that maybe a group of people could pull their talents and succeed where One person by himself couldn't.

My idea was to create a group structure without the usual infighting, that is common in many groups.

I also wanted it to be flexible, so that people could put in as much, or as little time that they wanted.

I envisioned a separate thread for each project. A person could jump in and help as they choose. No assignments or specific tasks for just being a member. Each project would be allowed to evolve in its own pace, with some people taking on a more involved role than others. A little less Board Room, a little less military. Something more like a group of shipwrecked survivors, that just naturally pull together for the common good.

I do not have any interest in this group, if this, is not what it is about.
I do not have any interest in running this group, or telling people what to do. Nor do I want to see someone else ordering people around and playing all those other games that they do in the foundry.

In other words, I'm in, if there is no attempt to make this group similar in structure as the foundry. NO stamps, NO hoops to jump through.

The main thing that I want to do is, put my graphics touch on our maps before we kick them up to the foundry.

There is a whole lot of talent among those of you who answered my call, If you think that it is possible to create the kind of group that I am talking about, please let me know. I think that John is a pretty smart guy, and he understands the vision I sat forth. I invite all of you to join me in helping him to create this co-op. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Kotaro on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:07 am

jpcloet wrote:This is a social group, can someone tag [social] in the header?

Social Clan.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby john9blue on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:31 am

I agree with pork for the most part, EXCEPT for the fact that we can avoid all the pitfalls of the Foundry. The fact is- we can't. The Foundry is where maps get made, and no matter how good out output is, it won't ever be quenched unless it receives the approval of the Foundry mods. Yes, our maps still have to get stamps like every other map. I don't like it, but that's how it is.

What we CAN do is change the environment in which our maps are made. Instead of a single person toiling away and dealing with the whole Foundry process alone, this group will be in it together, like "a group of shipwrecked sailors" instead of Robinson Crusoe. There is a guarantee that everyone in this group is open to new ideas and is capable of giving intelligent criticism. If we find that anyone isn't, sorry, but they're not welcome.

I have changed the rules around a bit since I last wrote them. One key aspect is this: once a map has a sufficient draft, a second thread will be created in the Foundry. Every suggestion made there should be discussed in the Factory thread, and either implemented or dismissed for a logical reason. This way, every decision is a group decision rather than an individual decision, and it is more likely to be accepted by the Foundry regulars. Also, you can participate as much or as little as you like.

One more thing: I encourage anyone doing this, if you have access to Photoshop, to get some working knowledge of the program. By all means, you can be in this group if you don't, but if we don't have enough skilled cartographers then progress will be much slower. There's no need to learn every last detail; just enough so that you can make minor changes if necessary. I will make a group file-sharing account where we put all of our PSD's, so anyone can make changes when they feel like it.

Also, we need to decide on a name ASAP. Put suggestions here and I'll start a poll later. ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Rocketry on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:56 am

john9blue wrote:I agree with pork for the most part, EXCEPT for the fact that we can avoid all the pitfalls of the Foundry. The fact is- we can't. The Foundry is where maps get made, and no matter how good out output is, it won't ever be quenched unless it receives the approval of the Foundry mods. Yes, our maps still have to get stamps like every other map. I don't like it, but that's how it is.

I think pork was saying that he didn't want there to be an in-clan stamp system like sailorboy was trying to introduce.

Rocket.
Lieutenant Rocketry

Postby miniwally on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:54 am

When we get it started we need to know what graphic programs people have that'd help a lot.
Private 1st Class miniwally

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Rocketry wrote:
john9blue wrote:I agree with pork for the most part, EXCEPT for the fact that we can avoid all the pitfalls of the Foundry. The fact is- we can't. The Foundry is where maps get made, and no matter how good out output is, it won't ever be quenched unless it receives the approval of the Foundry mods. Yes, our maps still have to get stamps like every other map. I don't like it, but that's how it is.

I think pork was saying that he didn't want there to be an in-clan stamp system like sailorboy was trying to introduce.

Rocket.
Rocket is reading me well.
I want there to be a much less formal atmosphere. We could go the other way and create a well structured machine, that could spit out the maps in blinding speed, but...

It would be more of an enjoyable venture, especially for part timers, if we just let a map progress at its own speed, and let the process of each map be what it will. We could have just some basic mode of operation. Like only 6 maps at any one time. That would ensure that we will eventually be able to crank out a map a month, and keep the foundry busy. I think that we should have only 7 threads. One for each map in production, and 1 for our home page where everything else is discussed. Like new ideas or other group news.

This way it would be easy for members to log on, read only 1 or more threads, and be up to date on all that is The Map Factory.

I like the idea about having files available for anyone to use. This is a must, but I think all of it can be done in each maps thread. Lets try to keep it simple, streamlined, and exiting. Kind of like a pick-up football game at the park. Just let it come together as we draw our plans in the dirt.

Speaking of drawing, and the graphics end, I want to do the final tweaks, before a map hits the foundry. you can count on me for at least this much, and more.

As for the medals, and who gets official credit. We can together, decide that for each map. sometimes it may be the person that had the idea, and sometimes it may be the person that contributed the most. Or sometimes it may turn out to be the person that does not yet have a medal. Personally, I am NOT in it for the medals. And if I am the last person in the group to get one, it is just fine with me. All I care about is that, our groups name is on each map that rolls out. :D
Last edited by porkenbeans on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:50 pm

miniwally wrote:When we get it started we need to know what graphic programs people have that'd help a lot.

Photoshop, or maybe GIMP

That is what has been used to make all the current maps, I believe.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Rocketry on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:16 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
Rocketry wrote:

Rocket.
Rocket is reading me well.
I want there to be a much less formal atmosphere. We could go the other way and create a well structured machine, that could spit out the maps in blinding speed, but...

It would be more of an enjoyable venture, especially for part timers, if we just let a map progress at its own speed, and let the process of each map be what it will. We could have just some basic mode of operation. Like only 6 maps at any one time. That would ensure that we will eventually be able to crank out a map a month, and keep the foundry busy. I think that we should have only 7 threads. One for each map in production, and 1 for our home page where everything else is discussed. Like new ideas or other group news.

This way it would be easy for members to log on, read only 1 or more threads, and be up to date on all that is The Map Factory.

I like the idea about having files available for anyone to use. This is a must, but I think all of it can be done in each maps thread. Lets try to keep it simple, streamlined, and exiting. Kind of like a pick-up football game at the park. Just let it come together as we draw our plans in the dirt.

Speaking of drawing, and the graphics end, I want to do the final tweaks, before a map hits the foundry. you can count on me for at least this much, and more.

As for the medals, and who gets official credit. We can together, decide that for each map. sometimes it may be the person that had the idea, and sometimes it may be the person that contributed the most. Or sometimes it may turn out to be the person that does not yet have a medal. Personally, I am NOT in it for the medals. And if I am the last person in the group to get one, it is just fine with me. All I care about is that, our groups name is on each map that rolls out. :D

Overall, I thnk you're heading in a good direction. The only thing I disagree with is the 7 threads only bit. Much better to spread things out with proper titles to make them easy to find. Don't forget we'll have the sticky tool to draw peoples attention to the important bits. I reckon we'll need at least a thread per map plus a few others: Introduction, The Great Mind Map, Introduce yourself and say what skills you have... that kind of thing. I'm sure more threads will appear as things crop up.

Good work though, seriously, I'm much more optimistic about this than I was first time around!

Rocket.
Lieutenant Rocketry

Postby Woodruff on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:34 pm

john9blue wrote:One more thing: I encourage anyone doing this, if you have access to Photoshop, to get some working knowledge of the program. By all means, you can be in this group if you don't, but if we don't have enough skilled cartographers then progress will be much slower. There's no need to learn every last detail; just enough so that you can make minor changes if necessary. I will make a group file-sharing account where we put all of our PSD's, so anyone can make changes when they feel like it.
Also, we need to decide on a name ASAP. Put suggestions here and I'll start a poll later. ;)

Just PhotoShop? I have access to GIMP, but not PhotoShop.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby john9blue on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:52 pm

Name suggestions anyone? Or should we stick with The Map Factory?

miniwally wrote:When we get it started we need to know what graphic programs people have that'd help a lot.

I said Photoshop because it's the most common program. Since we will be sharing files, it will make things a lot easier if we're all using the same graphics editor. You can start a draft on GIMP, Fireworks, etc., but it will probably go slower. Plus, I find that Photoshop is better for map making than GIMP (never tried Fireworks).

Rocketry wrote:Overall, I thnk you're heading in a good direction. The only thing I disagree with is the 7 threads only bit. Much better to spread things out with proper titles to make them easy to find. Don't forget we'll have the sticky tool to draw peoples attention to the important bits. I reckon we'll need at least a thread per map plus a few others: Introduction, The Great Mind Map, Introduce yourself and say what skills you have... that kind of thing. I'm sure more threads will appear as things crop up.

Good work though, seriously, I'm much more optimistic about this than I was first time around!

Rocket.

Yeah, each map needs its own thread, and the ones that are posted in the Foundry will get stickied.

Woodruff wrote:Just PhotoShop? I have access to GIMP, but not PhotoShop.

GIMP can read Photoshop files, so you will be fine just learning that. But, like I said before, most of the real work will probably come from Photoshop, unless you are some kind of GIMP guru (which I am not, never taken a graphics course in my life). You will probably only be able to make small changes. ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby sailorseal on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:56 pm

I'll join!

LOL!
Cook sailorseal

Postby miniwally on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:15 pm

john9blue wrote:Name suggestions anyone? Or should we stick with The Map Factory?

I said Photoshop because it's the most common program. Since we will be sharing files, it will make things a lot easier if we're all using the same graphics editor. You can start a draft on GIMP, Fireworks, etc., but it will probably go slower. Plus, I find that Photoshop is better for map making than GIMP (never tried Fireworks).

Rocketry wrote:Overall, I thnk you're heading in a good direction. The only thing I disagree with is the 7 threads only bit. Much better to spread things out with proper titles to make them easy to find. Don't forget we'll have the sticky tool to draw peoples attention to the important bits. I reckon we'll need at least a thread per map plus a few others: Introduction, The Great Mind Map, Introduce yourself and say what skills you have... that kind of thing. I'm sure more threads will appear as things crop up.

Rocket.

Yeah, each map needs its own thread, and the ones that are posted in the Foundry will get stickied.

GIMP can read Photoshop files, so you will be fine just learning that. But, like I said before, most of the real work will probably come from Photoshop, unless you are some kind of GIMP guru (which I am not, never taken a graphics course in my life). You will probably only be able to make small changes. ;)

I know but it'll be better to see if we have a lot on photoshop to advance or maybe compensate so gimp will be able to go faster as well?
Private 1st Class miniwally

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:18 pm

wait, sailor, are you seriouswhy doesnt anybody understand that if this didn't work the first time, its not gonna work the second time. I mean seriously, stick to the actuall foundry. the map factory already has a bad reputation with a majority of foundry normals, and i just don't think this is gonna work out
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:19 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:

Photoshop, or maybe GIMP

That is what has been used to make all the current maps, I believe.

cairns used fireworks for trafalgar, i think
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby GrimReaper. on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:20 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:wait, sailor, are you seriouswhy doesnt anybody understand that if this didn't work the first time, its not gonna work the second time. I mean seriously, stick to the actuall foundry. the map factory already has a bad reputation with a majority of foundry normals, and i just don't think this is gonna work out

he has a small lol on the bottom of his post led
also i forgot to mention i have both Photoshop and Gimp.
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 am

I would just like to be able to go to the home thread, get caught up to date, and then go check out the maps in production.
I do not want to search a hundred threads. They are not needed, and within this coop structure, are actually a hindrance.
Some members will not be logging on every day. It would be much easier for them especially, if you only needed to hit the home thread, catch up from where you left off. Then go check up on what ever projects you want to participate in. Besides, Don't you think that it's better to have all M.F. business in one central place, where we all, can easily find and read it ?

The foundry proper has blazed a trail right off a cliff. I think it wise that we blaze our own trail. To avoid there fate, we must chart a completely new coarse. As a matter of fact, if the map foundry does it, we shouldn't, by all instincts. lol.

Simplicity is what is going to float this boat. What is more simple than the structure that I am offering.

If someone could explain to me , the reason why we need, dozens of threads. I would change my mind on this matter. 8-)

Don't laugh, but, could someone tell me, ...what a sticky is.
Last edited by porkenbeans on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby FireStar on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:52 am

a sticky is the thing that keeps a post at the top of the list of posts.... you have seen the posts with ! ....
Lieutenant FireStar

Postby a.sub on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:56 am

k i didnt read the 3rd page, if anything major changes from the first let me know please
can i join?
im pretty good at photoshop
i have one map going through as we speak
BUT
my computer is dead for now (on my mom's) and so i cant actually do anything for a few weeks :(
Cadet a.sub

Postby Rocketry on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:49 pm

porkenbeans wrote:I would just like to be able to go to the home thread, get caught up to date, and then go check out the maps in production.
I do not want to search a hundred threads. They are not needed, and within this coop structure, are actually a hindrance.
Some members will not be logging on every day. It would be much easier for them especially, if you only needed to hit the home thread, catch up from where you left off. Then go check up on what ever projects you want to participate in. Besides, Don't you think that it's better to have all M.F. business in one central place, where we all, can easily find and read it ?

The foundry proper has blazed a trail right off a cliff. I think it wise that we blaze our own trail. To avoid there fate, we must chart a completely new coarse. As a matter of fact, if the map foundry does it, we shouldn't, by all instincts. lol.

Simplicity is what is going to float this boat. What is more simple than the structure that I am offering.

If someone could explain to me , the reason why we need, dozens of threads. I would change my mind on this matter. 8-)

Don't laugh, but, could someone tell me, ...what a sticky is.

We can still have a home thread that links to other threads (like an index.)

Rocket.
Lieutenant Rocketry

Postby killerpit4e on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:58 pm

i am in
Private 1st Class killerpit4e

Postby bryguy on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:38 pm

john9blue wrote:

Im confused. Do we have to just use Photoshop? I don't have Photoshop, I use GIMP, but I do have access to ImageReady CS2 (I got the trial for CS2 and it still allows me to use ImageReady.... Not as good as PS, but it gives me access to any photoshop filters I can't use, as well as layer modes that GIMP does not have, like Color Dodge/Burn). I hope that it is not the case that we have to use Photoshop, cause I do not have access to it (Except for IR, as mentioned).

Haha, you could probably stick me under "GIMP guru" if you wanted, as I just spent the last year learning how to use GIMP inside and out :) Some of the filters still confound me though, but Im learning, learning is good ;)

"What is important is to keep learning, to enjoy challenge, and to tolerate ambiguity."
Martina Horner, President of Radcliffe College
Corporal bryguy

Postby FireStar on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:40 pm

How long till we get forums :D
Lieutenant FireStar

PreviousNext

Return to Create/Join a Social Usergroup