Conquer Club

Isle Cruise [Winner: redbugal]

Tournaments completed in 2009.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Isle Cruise [Winner: redbugal]

Postby PaulusH on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:57 pm

News on running
Complete status overview can be found in post2 as well as in the first post at page 2. Here only some last news ;)

redbugal is the overall winner =D> =D> =D>

Although it this cruise had the intention to give an impression about all kind of different Isles, it turned out for most groups at most Isles to become a battle :roll:
"Most" for one group it seems that they have found some peace at Malta, see Game 5439554.
Four people of another group are frozen at Iceland, waiting for spring I expect, see Game 5391454

For all issues that happened at other Isles I would say, don't stand still about it to long: it is past.

All together I think the total cruise was fun.
However the Isles and conditions at the Isles were a bit too different, in that way it didn't gave general total feeling.

Headlines
Premiums as well as non-premiums are welcome at this wonderful cruise.
But you have to be a split personality since you will be entering two isles at the same time.

Planning
Start at first isle on 3 May. From that moment onwards you need to be able to play two games.

Isle Cruise
Our travel-agency offers you with this Isle Cruise a visit with a group of 49 people to in total 8 beautiful Isles . Of course staying together with such a large group is rather difficult, so we split up in 7 groups of 7 persons. At every other isle people will be swapped over the groups (using the windmill setup). After the last isle you will have visit with each of the 48 other people exactly one location. There are three complications:
    1.This is a package deal; once you have started a visit of one isle you are supposed to visit them all and are not allowed to skip one of them.
    2.At every isle we only arranged max 50 days to stay. (In other words in case a game is starting round 50 it is no longer supposed to be part of this tournament).
    3.Although we all start at the first isle, the visiting order of the others is not for everybody the same.
In case you donā€™t like one of the isles we are going to visit or disagree with the contract specifications, you better look for another travel-agency.

The isles that we are going to visit are Australia; The Galapagos; Madagascar; British Isles; Ireland; Archipelago; Iceland and Malta. The intention was to make it all standard cruises (standard, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny); but somehow most of the places did give some complications at booking for such a large group, so in the end there quite some exceptions (I will come back on that). Furthermore the hostel at Madagascar is too small for 49 people (as explained before I handle that part by using a different order for the visits).

Since our travel-agency would like to make some profit, we only start in case we are clearly overbooked. Just as all other travel agencies we go for at least 10% overbook and donā€™t mind larger overbooking. We expect that everybody has a split personality, so his (or her) alter-ego can visit a second isle in parallel. Our travel-agency did arrange bus-trips on each isle and of course took care of your stay including sleeping facility. Also all eat and drinks are arranged.

You just have to make sure you visit the booked hotel / B&B / etc. directly at the start the first time (you will get approx. 48 hours to join a game you are invited for by a PM). Not sleeping at the hotel, missing dinner or comparable (missing a turn) is not a problem for the travel-agency, but your companions might not like it. In case you do have travelling problems, miss luggage or have other problems just ask me for some help; our travel-agency can do a lot. Our standard baby-sit service is not available at Madagascar, but as always has some strict rules and limited capacity. So in case you need a baby-sit ask in time for availability and further conditions. In case you are too late to check in at the hotel or B&B we are happy that we had some overbooking at the start.

Our travel agency wishes a pleasant stay at all 8 isles.

By the way as mentioned we had some small problems at booking, so here are some more details. In the end there was only one location were we could realize our planned standard: standard, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
Australia England did send here all their prisoners to get terminated
The Galapagos You should be looking here for that specific beast (without being eaten yourself): assassin
Madagascar We only could book a hostel with rooms for four people here: Quadruples
British Isles Everything is so traditionally that you donā€™t even need any card: no spoils
Ireland Donā€™t worry about anything everything is free here: freestyle
Archipelago In fact we are still searching to find this place, most likely it is hidden somewhere in the fog
Iceland It could be rather cold here, making transport a bit difficult: adjacent
Malta This isle is an independent nation of itself and so well organized that everything is standard

Score
As score we use the windmill score. Since we have a nice sponsor you will get more tulips in case you stay longer at a isle. You will get for each game 21, 17, 13, 9, 7, 5 or 3 tulips depending on your position. The winner gets 21 tulips.

In case you end up at an equal place (like in team games), the corresponding tulips of all people at that place will be put in a pot and distributed equally. Basically the same happens at starting round 50. However there is a small difference: at reaching round 50 our travel agency will take out for each remaining person between zero and two tulips (since it will be never zero and never two, it will be most of the time one tulip per person less). In all other cases the travel agency will try to come as close as possible to equal distribution (it would be rather useless to get parts of tulips).

In case there is at the end of the competition a tie in number of tulips collected, the results of game(s) in which those persons where in together will show there relative position.

Any needed reserve will get the same number of tulips as the person at position 7 at that moment. Furthermore he -or she- will get one extra bonus tulip.

Predictions
Predictions like this are easily not 100% correct, see some of my earlier tournaments with predictions: link, link and link. The problem is that they really are only predictions.
ā€¢ Expected start first games at 3 May
ā€¢ Expected start last game on 10 August
ā€¢ Expected the very last game to be finished at 6 September

All predictions were made on 8 April. The last first game started on 3 May, so 0% mistake for first prediction
Second prediction in reality 26 August, 16 days later then predicted. Prediction was 140 days earlier.
                  16/140 is 11% mistake.
Third prediction in reality 31 October in which is 27% mistake.
So average is 13%. Compared to other predictions this is a acceptable level
Last edited by PaulusH on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 132 times in total.
Major PaulusH

Status

Postby PaulusH on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:57 pm

Click image to enlarge.

There are 4 persons that did get at the end 75 tulips, but that is not a tie 8-)

Therefore JvdH ended at top of those four.

next is sailorseal since he (or she) was better then sirron at the Britisch Isles and better then WPBRJ at the Archipelago.

WPBRJ also had a worse position compared to sirron in Ireland where they were together and in that way WPBRJ as last of those four.

There are more people with the same number of tulips, but often a different ranking using comparable rules.
Last edited by PaulusH on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 79 times in total.
Major PaulusH

Extra info, not really needed to know

Postby PaulusH on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Currently this gives more detail on the game setting
And it also gives the complete general windmill scoring. With the windmill scoring all kind of games can be mixed, for instance standard games with team games.

Settings games
At every game there will be 7 persons of the tournament.
map; type; order; bonus; fortifications; fog or sun.
1. Australia; terminated, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
2 The Galapagos; assassin, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
3 Madagascar; Quadruples, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
4 British Isles; standard, sequential, no spoils, unlimited, sunny.
5 Ireland; standard, freestyle, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
6 Archipelago; standard, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, fog.
7 Iceland; standard, sequential, flat rate, adjacent, sunny.
8 Malta; standard, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.

General windmill scoring
In fact there are two groups of maps each having there own scoring. The reason for that is that in WWII people start eating tulips because of the hunger.

The complete windmill system scoring is up to 8 persons. Simply leave out lowest in case you play with less.
Score: get 21, get 17, get 13, get 9, get 7, get 5, get 3 or get 1 tulip
WWII: eat 0, eat 4, eat 8, eat 12, eat 14, eat 16, eat 18 or eat 20 tulips.
It is never possible to have negative tulips.
Reserve player: get one tulip extra on top of starting quantity of current position 7.

Mixing of standard, terminator, all team-setting and most assassins is possible.
Assassin with 7 players is not perfect, in that case number 2,3,4,5 and 6 get together one tulip less. In case of one deadbeat in a 7 players assassin game the company will spend three extra tulips: one extra for the winner and two extra for positions 2,3,4 and 5.
For the basic 6 player assassin (without deadbeats) or two deadbeats in an 8 players assassin game, the same trick is used.
Major PaulusH

Re: Isle Cruise (7x7 windmill) fun for all [ 0 / 49 + 5]

Postby musteriuz on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:57 am

I can do with a holiday, so please sign me up.

By the way, how is the scoring going to work in the Quad game?
Highest score: 2159 Highest rank: 486
(How are the mighty fallen)
[Tourney achievements are on my wall]
Sergeant 1st Class musteriuz

Postby GreazzzzMaster on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:02 am

ill get in on that
Major GreazzzzMaster

Postby amazzony on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:58 am

As always, great tournament! I'm in.
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby b00060 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 am

Count me in
Major b00060

Postby Fuzzy316 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:36 am

Sounds interesting. im in
Lieutenant Fuzzy316

Postby PaulusH on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Together with some messages at my inbox we have 9 people now.
I will make an update of the status over a few hours (I don't have time at this moment).

musteriuz wrote:I can do with a holiday, so please sign me up.

By the way, how is the scoring going to work in the Quad game?

One team will win and will get the top places. They will get the corresponding tulips for first, second, etc place. After adding all those tulips together, they will be split over the tournament participants in that team.

In the same way the tulips for the second team are be added together, but since they are at the lower places that will be less tulips. Also here those tulips will be split again.
Major PaulusH

Re: Isle Cruise (7x7 windmill) fun for all [ 9 / 49 + 5]

Postby Fuzzy316 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:56 pm

I am already approved for this tourney, but for clarification, basically when 1st round of games are over, everyone will switch maps to a different game, correct?
Lieutenant Fuzzy316

Re: Isle Cruise (7x7 windmill) fun for all [ 10 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:42 pm

We are at 10 people now. Status is updated. Welcome everybody :D

Fuzzy316 wrote:I am already approved for this tourney, but for clarification, basically when 1st round of games are over, everyone will switch maps to a different game, correct?

That is more or less the idea, but some small differences.

You will not be playing one game at the time but basically two games.
It is also possible that you have to wait for other people before the second game can start.
In case one game finished you will get an invitation for the next game as soon as possible (again depending on the others needed for that specific game).
It even could happen that both games are waiting since one (or more) of your oponents in that game are already involved in two games.

Furthermore I don't really use strickt rounds, but it are "locations" that you visit. Still you (as well as everybody else) will visit all eight locations (so 8 games), but not everybody will do that in the same order.
Also at every location you will be meeting new people. In every game there are 7 people who are playing in this tournament. In other words in every game you meet 6 new people. In that way you will have gamed with all 8*6=48 other persons in this tournament. You are not an exception of course, I will do that for all 49 persons in this tournament.

Is it more clear now :?:
Major PaulusH

Postby Fuzzy316 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:13 am

Yes, more clear. The different twists and turns kinda threw me off. Thanks.
Lieutenant Fuzzy316

Postby wakko3308 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Sign me up please
Sergeant 1st Class wakko3308

Postby wolfpack0530 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:14 pm

in please
Captain wolfpack0530

Re: Isle Cruise (7x7 windmill) fun for all [ 12 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Welcome, welcome :D
Major PaulusH

Status

Postby PaulusH on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:06 pm

In fact an easy to find copy of the status.
Click image to enlarge.

There are 4 persons that did get at the end 75 tulips, but that is not a tie 8-)

Therefore JvdH ended at top of those four.

next is sailorseal since he (or she) was better then sirron at the Britisch Isles and better then WPBRJ at the Archipelago.

WPBRJ also had a worse position compared to sirron in Ireland where they were together and in that way WPBRJ as last of those four.

There are more people with the same number of tulips, but often a different ranking using comparable rules.
Last edited by PaulusH on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 70 times in total.
Major PaulusH

Postby ralphcptc on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:12 pm

i will play
Former Praetor of The Legion. Past Centurion.
High pts 2241
Cadet ralphcptc

Postby PaulusH on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:35 pm

ralphcptc wrote:i will play

Welcome 8-)
Major PaulusH

Re: Isle Cruise (7x7 windmill) fun for all [ 13 / 49 + 5]

Postby GreenBaize on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:40 pm

In plz
Cook GreenBaize

Re: Isle Cruise (7x7 windmill) fun for all [ 13 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:40 am

GreenBaize wrote:In plz

Welcome :D
I will update the status in a few hours :mrgreen:
Major PaulusH

Re: Isle Cruise (7x7 windmill) fun for all [ 14 / 49 + 5]

Postby unknownhero on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:13 am

i would like to play.

-unknownhero-
Corporal 1st Class unknownhero

Postby WPBRJ on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:19 am

in plz
Lieutenant WPBRJ

Postby ESQuire on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:16 am

Great idea... count me in!
Major ESQuire

Re: Isle Cruise (7x7 windmill) fun for all [ 17 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:41 pm

Updated the status ;)
Now everybody can see who joined this nice cruise 8-)
Welcome :D
Major PaulusH

Re: Isle Cruise (7x7 windmill) fun for all [ 17 / 49 + 5]

Postby mbjones79 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:47 pm

In please.
Cook mbjones79

Next

Return to Completed 2009