First Nations of North America [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Native America.. UPDATE 04/23

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:44 am

I think what he is like Asia was in classic, it is rarely held.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby ghirrindin on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Given that the tribes in each of your territories represent a striking array of cultural diversity, perhaps geographic names would be best for the territories? Arctic, Sub-Arctic, Plains, Pacific Northwest, Central Pacific, Great Basin, Southwest, Mesoamerica, Southeast, and Eastern Woodlands? I'm at a loss of what to call that two region territory in the mountains. Columbia River Plateau?

Hope this helps!
Sergeant 1st Class ghirrindin

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby Tisha on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:37 pm

ghirrindin wrote:Given that the tribes in each of your territories represent a striking array of cultural diversity, perhaps geographic names would be best for the territories? Arctic, Sub-Arctic, Plains, Pacific Northwest, Central Pacific, Great Basin, Southwest, Mesoamerica, Southeast, and Eastern Woodlands? I'm at a loss of what to call that two region territory in the mountains. Columbia River Plateau?

Hope this helps!

i had/have names for all the regions (in the previous drafts)... but the territories were hard to tell apart with the colors i have chosen to use, so a mini map was requested
Major Tisha

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6)
General Contribution (3)

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:30 pm

Yes, there were some problem with colors on names, but the names fit better than this minimap...a turn back and trying with a different use of colors?
I'm with Tack (about northern/Eastern regions), a split could be a good choice.
The gameplay is unbalanced now, the south and the west zones are still good places in which a player could start, the north and the east zones aren't holdable.

TNBDS

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby Danyael on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:07 pm

vey nice looking map
I'm a big fan of your burnt edges really suits the map
it looks kinda pretty sharp at the top left corner maybe blur it but not a big deal

I think that Ojibwa needs to go further west with its border
they where nomadic for buffalo hunts threw out the canadian prairies
maybe have it at least more west of lake manitoba due dakota ojibawa resevr is around there as well as sacred ojibawa grounds near portage la praire
as well on a side note lake manitoba is bigger then winnipeg

where is a link to a site on ojibwa in case you want to read alittle about them
http://www.native-art-in-canada.com/ojibwaindians.html

and here's a bad pic where ojibwa are still present an have reserve and scared lands in these location and a purpose border for them

not a must but some to keep in mind

once again very nice looking map and the mini map make so there is no confusion with my colourblindness
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby oaktown on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:11 am

For starters, this map is all kinds of nice. It's my favorite looking map in the Drafting Room right now. =D>

That said, it turns out I have a lot of little critiques. For starters, the glow around the mountains flows nicely with some region colors (the south east), and creates a bit too much contrast with others (especially California). And while the mini-map helps immensely in terms of picking out where the regions are, the colors on the map are close enough to confuse color-blind players (like me). The colors of northern and southern mexico are especially close.

Has there been any thought of making Coahuiltec a part of the Mesoamerica bonus? +2 for three territories that are only accessible from one region/territory seems quite generous - adding Coahuiltec and leaving it a +2 makes it an Australia and makes it more in line with the Califoria +2.

And now that I look at the regions more closely, it's too bad all of the good starts/small bonuses are clustered. Two-thirds of the map will be completely ignored for the decisive first few rounds of most games. I'd say that the first player to hold a bonus - which will probably be the little guy - will be able to harass the other players trying to hold their first bonuses and/or expand to hold more. And I haven't crunched any numbers, but the pacific northwest/inside passage region seems generous, considering the South East gets only one extra army and it has eight territories and four borders, compared to four territories with four borders. And when you start coupling the small regions you get all kinds of generous bonuses: +5 for five territories with three borders, for example.

Forgive me if this has been brought up, but I'm wondering how people feel about the map title? The term "Native American" is most commonly used to describe people who are native to the United States, and this map goes beyond US borders. And you can most certainly use the term to describe anyone native to the Americas, but that would also include South America. Plus, any name using the word America suggests European presence, since America is itself a name given to the land by Europeans.

The ideal title for this map would be something not derivative of a European name. Our Canadian friends use the terms "First Nations" to refer to native peoples, which is far more empowering.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Tisha on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:45 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Yes, there were some problem with colors on names, but the names fit better than this minimap...a turn back and trying with a different use of colors?
The gameplay is unbalanced now, the south and the west zones are still good places in which a player could start, the north and the east zones aren't holdable.

TNBDS

i'm going to have to mess with the colors..:( i don't like the minimap either..

why isn't the east holdable? 8 territories 4 borders, 9 territories 4 borders

as for the north.. i mentioned less territories, maybe trees as an impassable?

Danyael wrote:vey nice looking map
I'm a big fan of your burnt edges really suits the map
it looks kinda pretty sharp at the top left corner maybe blur it but not a big deal

I think that Ojibwa needs to go further west with its border
they where nomadic for buffalo hunts threw out the canadian prairies
maybe have it at least more west of lake manitoba due dakota ojibawa resevr is around there as well as sacred ojibawa grounds near portage la praire
as well on a side note lake manitoba is bigger then winnipeg

where is a link to a site on ojibwa in case you want to read alittle about them
http://www.native-art-in-canada.com/ojibwaindians.html

and here's a bad pic where ojibwa are still present an have reserve and scared lands in these location and a purpose border for them

not a must but some to keep in mind

once again very nice looking map and the mini map make so there is no confusion with my colourblindness

i'll see what i can do about moving ojibwa over a little, but my lakes aren't that far off.. http://geology.com/canada/manitoba.shtml

oaktown wrote:For starters, this map is all kinds of nice. It's my favorite looking map in the Drafting Room right now. =D>

That said, it turns out I have a lot of little critiques. For starters, the glow around the mountains flows nicely with some region colors (the south east), and creates a bit too much contrast with others (especially California). And while the mini-map helps immensely in terms of picking out where the regions are, the colors on the map are close enough to confuse color-blind players (like me). The colors of northern and southern mexico are especially close.

i'll have to change all the colors.. i'll figure it out

Has there been any thought of making Coahuiltec a part of the Mesoamerica bonus? +2 for three territories that are only accessible from one region/territory seems quite generous - adding Coahuiltec and leaving it a +2 makes it an Australia and makes it more in line with the Califoria +2.

What if i split Coahuiltec into two? then i could take a territory out somewhere else.. that will only make the s. w. harder to hold then though.

And now that I look at the regions more closely, it's too bad all of the good starts/small bonuses are clustered. Two-thirds of the map will be completely ignored for the decisive first few rounds of most games. I'd say that the first player to hold a bonus - which will probably be the little guy - will be able to harass the other players trying to hold their first bonuses and/or expand to hold more. And I haven't crunched any numbers, but the pacific northwest/inside passage region seems generous, considering the South East gets only one extra army and it has eight territories and four borders, compared to four territories with four borders. And when you start coupling the small regions you get all kinds of generous bonuses: +5 for five territories with three borders, for example.

Forgive me if this has been brought up, but I'm wondering how people feel about the map title? The term "Native American" is most commonly used to describe people who are native to the United States, and this map goes beyond US borders. And you can most certainly use the term to describe anyone native to the Americas, but that would also include South America. Plus, any name using the word America suggests European presence, since America is itself a name given to the land by Europeans.

The ideal title for this map would be something not derivative of a European name. Our Canadian friends use the terms "First Nations" to refer to native peoples, which is far more empowering.

First Nations i kinda like
Major Tisha

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Merker on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:58 am

Just one thing about the name...It's just that I have this feeling that if map was Native America, it'd include South America.
Last edited by Merker on Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBenn wrote:On an a side-note, as a child I used to have a recurring nightmare about being chased round a supermarket by a crocodile pushing a shopping trolley and wearing an "I ♥ Shopping" t-shirt...

-----Spanish Civil War: Vacationed
Cook Merker

Medals: 1
Doubles Achievement (1)

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:27 am

couldnt you change the very very english name "yellowknife" into "Athabascans" ?
Technically, the yellowknife for todays reference is correct, but it looks bad on this map amongst all original indian names.
I googled, and found Athabascans as (larger group)alternative.

The same goes for "Copper".
Look for something more appropriate.
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Tisha on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Merker wrote:Just one thing about the name...It's just that I have this feeling that if map was Native America, it'd include South America, so please, just for me, change the name of the map to Native North America / North Native America, thanks, ;).

if you read a couple posts above, the name is being talked about..

lt_oddball wrote:couldnt you change the very very english name "yellowknife" into "Athabascans" ?
Technically, the yellowknife for todays reference is correct, but it looks bad on this map amongst all original indian names.
I googled, and found Athabascans as (larger group)alternative.

The same goes for "Copper".
Look for something more appropriate.

Athabascans is pretty much a linguistic stock of some native americans... i'll change yellowknife to Tatsanottine

i know alot of the names need changed still.. i'm working on them.
Major Tisha

General Contribution (3)

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:12 pm

Tisha wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:Yes, there were some problem with colors on names, but the names fit better than this minimap...a turn back and trying with a different use of colors?

TNBDS

i'm going to have to mess with the colors..:( i don't like the minimap either..

why isn't the east holdable? 8 territories 4 borders, 9 territories 4 borders

as for the north.. i mentioned less territories, maybe trees as an impassable?

I try to be more specific:
  • Northeast woodlands - 9 regions/4 borders - actually this zone has a separated region (beothuk), so the player that control the artic zone probably has to move from innu to south. But in this way he has to take the beothuk region to secure the arctic zone and to have only one border to defend (naskapi). In my opinion you have to add a connection from micmac to beothuk to have an easier troops movement.
  • Arctic - chugachigmiut linked with aluet, for the same reason.
  • Subarctic - 11 regions/9 borders ....i think that this zone has to be splitted.It's very large and it has an horizontal placement (southern regions have a vertical one), probably players will try to take the dominance in the southern/western zones, smaller and easier to hold, so the "unlucky" player has to focus himself in the northern part of your map. In few turns this unlucky player has to take (quickly :!: ) the artic or the subarctic zone to contrast the easy small bonuses.

Finally ( you can postpone this thing) the white you used as background doesn't fit very well.

Good work! =D>
TNBDS

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby Merker on Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:31 pm

oaktown wrote:

Or you could call it Amerigine. Though it would probably mistaken some sort of precious metal map.
MrBenn wrote:On an a side-note, as a child I used to have a recurring nightmare about being chased round a supermarket by a crocodile pushing a shopping trolley and wearing an "I ♥ Shopping" t-shirt...

-----Spanish Civil War: Vacationed
Cook Merker

Medals: 1
Doubles Achievement (1)

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:04 pm

Merker wrote:
oaktown wrote:

Or you could call it Amerigine. Though it would probably mistaken some sort of precious metal map.

Why not "Tribal Americas" or "Western Natives" (so far serious) or
:mrgreen: (this is a joke) "Original Savages of America" ..but that could be confused with today's down-town Bronx inhabitants :roll:
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:26 pm

Well, the savages could also refer to a lot of other people of the modern world,indigenous is probably the most accurate word although it sounds a bit academic maybe?

How about North America 999AD? Or something like that?
Captain Teflon Kris

Medals: 170
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Postby tlane on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Tisha wrote:as for the north.. i mentioned less territories, maybe trees as an impassable?

trees sound like a good idea for the north. It should help with the gameplay a good amount.

Also, when you change the colors you should run them through
http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/vischeckImage.php
this will show you what the map looks like to color blind people. Currently there are some very similar looking areas(for color blind people).

some other things:
1.You may want to put a few mountains above the impassible sign. It is pretty clear, but you probably should anyways.
2. The two islands off of Seminole currently seem to be useless, you should think about making them territories.

Nice map,
tlane
sailorseal wrote:come on, now i am all sticky
Private tlane

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas