Conquer Club

Indian Empire [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Indian Empire; page 13 - NEW POLL!

Postby alexandrois on Sun May 10, 2009 11:08 am

I love the railway idea
I think that that north west won't have much action in it as the edges do
so could you put a railway running up the west coast into the north west?
Private 1st Class alexandrois

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 pm

oak, you have an absolutely amazing talent at putting continent names on the map, they look fantastic. (India, and Eastern Hemisphere maps).
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 pm

alexandrois wrote:I love the railway idea

This was somewhat of my feeling also.
I notice there is an attack loop between Calcultta, Bombay and Madras, but nothing similar in the west.
Won't that create an in-balance in the gameplay?
Perhaps a line from Delhi to Sindh (Karachi, if there was a line running out there), and then a coastal shipping route from Bombay to Karachi.

Also. i know this is late in the piece and you can reject all of this if you want, but I've recently become acquainted with some British-Indian history through the magic the ABC TV here in Oz. Isn't the Taj more of a symbol of the Mogul Empire of India. While I realise it is probably the most recognised building in the world (so they say) i would have thought that some building from the British construction and architecture of New Delhi would be more defining of the British Period for India.
Perhaps Image

For the train bonuses, do you mean that you have to hold all territories that the rail-line traverses to get that bonus. That is kind of unclear that way it is written in the legend.

Oaktown, IMO i've gotta say that i'm not a big fan of the Presidency names on the map in the background. They overlap and collide with the territory names in many places and this causes my eyes to be lead away from the actual territory names to try to read the Presidency names.

I voted for Queen Victoria. She was known as the Empress of India. So Queen Victoria would fit in more with what you have in the title style. I must say that I'm surprised the 4th option made it into the poll.

So apart from that, if none of those things are considered issues by the rest of the foundry, after seeing the Small version with some armies on it for placement, i'd be happy to say FF.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Oaktown, IMO i've gotta say that i'm not a big fan of the Presidency names on the map in the background. They overlap and collide with the territory names in many places and this causes my eyes to be lead away from the actual territory names to try to read the Presidency names.

They aren't totally awesome splendid perfect (but I think they are fine), but I'll argue function over form in this case, as within just the last couple of days we've had some people in the Suggestions forum talking about how some maps are hard to distinguish for colorblind people, without any continental/zone labels.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 11, 2009 10:44 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

They aren't totally awesome splendid perfect (but I think they are fine), but I'll argue function over form in this case, as within just the last couple of days we've had some people in the Suggestions forum talking about how some maps are hard to distinguish for colorblind people, without any continental/zone labels.

--Andy

Understandable :)
Private cairnswk

Postby a.sub on Mon May 11, 2009 10:46 pm

one day in the middle of the night im going to be at ur house with a knife
and eat ur brain
and hope it gives me at least some of ur talent
watch out
Cadet a.sub

Postby oaktown on Mon May 11, 2009 11:06 pm

alexandrois wrote:I love the railway idea

Certainly I could, but there are two problems with this. The first is that the north west is already made up of small, controllable regions. Both Bombay Presidency and Northern Frontier are fives territory, three border +3 regions. And both are going to be ideal start positions due to their locations on the edges of the map. Running a rail line up the west would be redundant.

The second reason I wouldn't want a rail line there is because it didn't exist. The current lines are historically accurate and based on the rail system of India in the 1860s-1870s.
Click image to enlarge.

cairnswk wrote:I notice there is an attack loop between Calcultta, Bombay and Madras, but nothing similar in the west.
Won't that create an in-balance in the gameplay?
Perhaps a... coastal shipping route from Bombay to Karachi.

Well, I kinda liked the linear nature of that region. An attack route from Bombay to Karachi (Sindh) wouldn't be a bad thing, but I'm not sure it contributes much to gameplay. The fact that there is a sea route in the east isn't a good enough reason to justify a sea route in the west, but if there is further justification for adding a western sea route I'm willing to consider it.

cairnswk wrote:Also. i know this is late in the piece and you can reject all of this if you want, but I've recently become acquainted with some British-Indian history through the magic the ABC TV here in Oz. Isn't the Taj more of a symbol of the Mogul Empire of India. While I realise it is probably the most recognised building in the world (so they say) i would have thought that some building from the British construction and architecture of New Delhi would be more defining of the British Period for India.
Perhaps Image

I hear where you're coming from on this one... the Taj wasn't held in as high regard in 1870 as it is today. This is kind of like the Queen v. Empress question - Empress might be correct, but Queen is what CC users will relate to. Using an English building might be more true to the historical flavor of the map, but the average user might wonder what it is.

cairnswk wrote:For the train bonuses, do you mean that you have to hold all territories that the rail-line traverses to get that bonus. That is kind of unclear that way it is written in the legend.

(sighs) I've probably changed the language of this a dozen times over the life of this thread, and every time I change the language somebody suggests language that somebody else has already rejected. I don't really give a damn what it says, so if you have a better idea I'd love to hear it.

cairnswk wrote:Oaktown, IMO i've gotta say that i'm not a big fan of the Presidency names on the map in the background. They overlap and collide with the territory names in many places and this causes my eyes to be lead away from the actual territory names to try to read the Presidency names.

As a colorblind user I would rather err on the side of too much information. There are already too many maps out there that I can't play.

cairnswk wrote:I voted for Queen Victoria. She was known as the Empress of India. So Queen Victoria would fit in more with what you have in the title style. I must say that I'm surprised the 4th option made it into the poll.

I'll probably stick with "Queen" - though had it been close I was comfortable just saying "Her Majesty's." And whenever I post a poll around here I like to include one option for those that share my general opinion of Foundry polls, which is that they are meaningless. ;)

cairnswk wrote:So apart from that, if none of those things are considered issues by the rest of the foundry, after seeing the Small version with some armies on it for placement, i'd be happy to say FF.

Page 12 of this thread has a small map with three digit counts.

a.sub wrote:one day in the middle of the night im going to be at ur house with a knife
and eat ur brain
and hope it gives me at least some of ur talent
watch out

Now that's just weird.
Captain oaktown

Postby a.sub on Mon May 11, 2009 11:22 pm

i know but i had nothign else to say and really wanted to say something :P
Cadet a.sub

Postby oaktown on Mon May 11, 2009 11:29 pm

a.sub wrote:i know but i had nothign else to say and really wanted to say something :P

my mother always told me that if i have nothing good to say... :-$

;)
Captain oaktown

Postby a.sub on Mon May 11, 2009 11:36 pm

oaktown wrote:
a.sub wrote:i know but i had nothign else to say and really wanted to say something :P

my mother always told me that if i have nothing good to say... :-$

;)

i love you

happy?
Cadet a.sub

Re: Indian Empire; page 13 - NEW POLL! [Final Forge]

Postby MrBenn on Tue May 12, 2009 4:36 pm

You two should take your schmoozing to Off-Topics :roll:

Meanwhile, I think this map should be fine to head over to the Forge... Do I move it over, or call Andy to come and do it? (I'm out of touch with the Main Foundry :lol: )

/tannoy for Andy...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue May 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Final Forge

---The Indian Empire Map has reached the 'Final Forge' Stage. The map has passed rigorous gameplay and graphics examinations, and major concerns have been addressed. If you have any other concerns, please make your voice heard. As long as there is still discussion or posts that have yet to be commented on, the map will remain in Final Forge until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version. After a reasonable amount of time has been given for final comment, and after the completion of the XML, the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play.

Post questions and concerns if any.

Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby nagerous on Tue May 12, 2009 6:08 pm

Congrats Oaktown!

Great to see an India map make FF, I've been waiting for this a long time.
Captain nagerous

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Tue May 12, 2009 6:22 pm

YaY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 12, 2009 6:36 pm

Congrats oaktown. :)
all questions raised answered well. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Tue May 12, 2009 6:44 pm

wow, I have two maps in the Forge at the same time... so this is what happens when you resign from being a CA, eh cairnswk?

I'll get on wrapping the pages in and showing coordinates again.
Captain oaktown

Postby a.sub on Tue May 12, 2009 6:51 pm

=D>
Cadet a.sub

Postby oaktown on Wed May 13, 2009 12:09 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Large and small maps, with the wrap between the pages.

Files for coordinate checks...
xml: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/30/ ... /india.xml
Large: http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/ ... dia19L.jpg
Small: http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/ ... dia19S.jpg
Captain oaktown

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue May 19, 2009 7:10 am

Ooph … I could've sworn I had already checked this. I'll do it later today, so'z.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby a.sub on Tue May 19, 2009 6:14 pm

ok i think the only thing left is a new poll, because i think the level of the effect should be changed
i say post 5 of varying degrees of the warp then let us vote
if its not too much trouble
Cadet a.sub

Postby oaktown on Tue May 19, 2009 6:26 pm

a.sub wrote:ok i think the only thing left is a new poll, because i think the level of the effect should be changed
i say post 5 of varying degrees of the warp then let us vote
if its not too much trouble

It actually does require some work.

Anyway, what is a poll going to get us? 32 people will vote, one of the five suggested options will win with 9 votes, which means 23 people will disapprove of the final. Foundry polls are useless.

What is useful is descriptive feedback. The first attempt at showing the page wrap was too strong, so now I've made it more subtle. Nobody has mentioned any problems with the current wrap. If it's too strong, or not strong enough, tell me by how much and why and I can fix it.

But the current poll can certainly go... I'll PM somebody.
Captain oaktown

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue May 19, 2009 6:50 pm

okay, by my eye I only see a couple (quasi-)issues re: co-ords, with my responses:

1. The numbers overlap the background names in multiple places
      Should be fine. The key makes it rather obvious …
  2. In a couple of places (most notably Mysore, Bejapoor, and Doab) the numbers go over the RR tracks.
      Ehh, there're a couple easy spots to change, but some you can leave. I think you can move the word "Mysore" down and left, moving the co-ord up and left above the name. For Doab, you can leave the name as is but move the co-ord down so only the 888 nicks it.
    Then a couple graphic nitpicks:
  3. Could you scoot the portrait of Q. Victoria a bit right if it's not too much trouble?
  4. On the "E" of "Bengal Presidency," there's a white stroke around.
Those last two are crazy nitpicks, but the co-ords — should be fine as is, those fixes would only improve upon an already-stampable map. =D>

Captain the.killing.44

Postby oaktown on Wed May 20, 2009 2:18 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:[*]On the "E" of "Bengal Presidency," there's a white stroke around.[/list]

would that be the E in the page fold? becauser there are three Es in Bengal Presidency, all of which have a light glow to make them easier to read (I outer glow just about everything for contrast). The one in the fold shows the most because of the shadow - I can clean that up a bit.
Captain oaktown

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed May 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Yeah it's the fold one. By the way (I meant to edit this in): I only suggested you change the co-ords on the RR tracks because there have been some players who are confused by the Subway on the NYC map. Like I said, it's stampable as is if you don't want to change.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby oaktown on Wed May 20, 2009 6:49 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:By the way (I meant to edit this in): I only suggested you change the co-ords on the RR tracks because there have been some players who are confused by the Subway on the NYC map.

In some places I put the coordinates on the tracks or across the tracks from the territory title on purpose to show that the tracks are within the territory, and not a border.

I agree that the coordinates should not touch tracks in the NYC map, but that is because the tracks represent attack routes on that map. There are no distinct station territories on this map, and I hope that there is nothing that would suggest the a player that they can jump their attacks along rail lines.

Changes coming up shortly...
Captain oaktown

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas