Conquer Club

The Texan Wars [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby happysadfun on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:03 pm

Gulf is too linear and has 10 borders.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Fitz69 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:24 am

The Legend need way more contrast.
Great map!
Cook Fitz69

Postby berwatchey on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:01 pm

maby explain what the land jumpers do exactly, looking initially it's hard to tell what the boats do and the airports as well.

and barbed wire is listed as an impassible object...yet i see none on the map. maby i just wasn't looking closely enough

your mountains have alot of space in between each mountain, maby for artistic purposes remove the gaps by adding more mountains in between?

and what is lonestar? it's in the list but nothing is mentioned of where it is or what it does

and i think the river that blocks mineral well from hillboro needs widended for clarity...or if it's not a river make the border more clear.

my last concern was territory count, particularily your northern continents seem to have less territories than they should. maby break up 1 or 2 of the bigger territories up north. i didn't number crunch to figure that out and i definately have no expertise in that regard however so forgive me if i was incorrect.

i love the way it's laid out overall though, and i like the name too. it's interesting and attaention grabbing. keep at this map for sure and i'll be one of the first to play it.

edit: there is no way to get to austin from lockhart, and i believe there should be, as they are part of the same continent. maby add a bridge? or some other connection.
Private 1st Class berwatchey

Re-thinking Design!!!

Postby rgbubba on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:20 am

I will be using another program to make this map, it may take a while. Thanks for all your comments guys. I will look in to all of them in the next coming weeks.
Private rgbubba

STARTING OVER: THE TEXAS WARS

Postby rgbubba on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:20 pm

Check first page for new maps.
Last edited by rgbubba on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private rgbubba

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Keep all your posts regarding the same map....in one topic.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby ericisshort on Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:05 pm

I honestly think that the regions (continents) are set up really weird. The hill country is way to far west and there is a region that would be a big mistake to leave out... the valley. its where most of the agriculture comes from in texas. I dont get why austin is cut off from the rest of its region.

There are generally too many entrances into regions.

Are you even from texas?
Captain ericisshort

THE GAME RULES FOR THE TEXAN WARS

Postby rgbubba on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:38 am

THE BATTLE FOR THE LONESTAR STATE IS A FICTIONAL GAME PLAYED BY TAKING LAND UNTIL CAPTURING ONE COUNTRY AND RECIEVING POINTS ON NEXT TURN. (THIS WE KNOW).

WHAT IS DIFFERENT IS THAT LONESTARS ACT AS FLAGS. WHEN CAPTURING TWO STARS AND HOLD THEM YOU WILL RECIEVE POINTS ON YOUR NEXT TURN OR YOU CAN APPLY THEM RIGHT AWAY (LIKE YOU DO WHEN YOU HAVE TO MANY CARD IN HAND). AS YOU COLLECT MORE YOU WILL GET MORE MEN TO YOUR POINTS, AGAIN ON NEXT TURN OR APPLY IT AS SOON AS YOU GET IT AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AT LESS TWO OR THREE STARS.

THERE WILL ALSO WILL BE IMPASSIBLE OBJECTS AND LAND JUMPERS.
1. IMPASSIBLE OBJECTS: (HILLS, RIVERS, LAKES, BARBWIRE,TREE.)THIS WILL BE APPLIED TO LAND AREAS TO MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR GETTING TO AREAS EASILY. IT WILL MAKE THE GAME WORTH WILD I BELIEVE.

2. LAND JUMBER: (ROADS, BOATS, AIRPLANES)
THIS WILL BE APPLIED FOR EASY ACCESS TO AREAS ON THE MAP NORMALY UNREACHABLE. ONE EXSAMPLE WOULD BE TO REACH FROM HOUSTON TO EL PASO THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY UNLESS YOU FIGHT YOUR WAY THROUGH TO GET THERE.

THE POINT: IT WILL KNOW BE POSSIBLE WHEN THE AIRPLANE IS USED. THE SAME GOES WITH ROADS AND BOATS THIS WILL BRING EXCITING GAME PLAY.

THE GAME IS RUN THE SAME WAY AS RISK, BUT WITH A SMALL TWIST ADDING SOME TEXAN SPIRIT.
Last edited by rgbubba on Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Private rgbubba

Postby btownmeggy on Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Looks pretty good. I don't like the texture of the continents that much, but I like the background color and texture. The territories are much more sensibly shaped and the continents are well named.

Keep at it! I like it so far!
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby Guiscard on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:18 am

Looking better but I'm not at all keen on the image behind the brown. Just looks like a huge clot of earth. Would be an OK texture scaled down a bit. If it is a genuine overhead view of texas then it needs sharpening up.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Re: THE GAME RULES FOR THE TEXAN WARS

Postby Guiscard on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:20 am

rgbubba wrote:[size=18]

WHAT IS DIFFERENT IS THAT LONESTARS ACT AS FLAGS. WHEN CAPTURING TWO STARS AND HOLD THEM YOU WILL RECIEVE POINTS ON YOUR NEXT TURN OR YOU CAN APPLY THEM RIGHT AWAY (LIKE YOU DO WHEN YOU HAVE TO MANY CARD IN HAND). AS YOU COLLECT MORE YOU WILL GET MORE MEN TO YOUR POINTS, AGAIN ON NEXT TURN OR APPLY IT AS SOON AS YOU GET IT AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AT LESS TWO OR THREE STARS.

Forget the caps we can all read. From the sound of it this won't fit with the game mechanics. You can't bend the rules at the moment I'm afraid. Your map has to function just as any other. You could make the lone stars a bonus of 1 or 2, but it would always apply next turn if you were still holding them or not at all if they were taken from you by a subsequent player.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby boberz on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:01 pm

next time can you write in smaller writing so that we dont have to scroll down loads of pages to read the post thank you

how about some impassible borders to make light green mor easy to hold making it more important and a game winner
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Thanks

Postby rgbubba on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:02 am

Thanks guys on the text rule. I did not realize that it would create a problem.
Private rgbubba

Postby boberz on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:26 am

there seems t be a lot of dead space (in green) and some of the names are hard to read try to utilise the space and make the names larger.

Postby Kann on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:41 pm

Iim assuming there will be some mountains and barbed wire for imapssible borders... maps looks better
Captain Kann

Postby boberz on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:17 am

how about in that dead space put a picture of something relevant to the theme and make it subtle so it does not stand out and complicate the map but i have no idea what ill leave that to the experts lol.

that is good but can you dull it down slightly so it looks less ig as it detracts from the map also can the unpassable borders be improved.

Postby sully800 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Sorry for not replying for so long! :?

I like your graphical ability, but it seems like you've set your continents up strangely. They are more stretched out and linear than continents usually are, which creates more borders than I think you should have. The gulf especially will need some impassables to limit its border territories.

You have a lot of large continents (all potentially in the 4-6 bonus range except for green and yellow) but currently I think all of the large continents have too many borders.

"WHAT IS DIFFERENT IS THAT LONESTARS ACT AS FLAGS. WHEN CAPTURING TWO STARS AND HOLD THEM YOU WILL RECIEVE POINTS ON YOUR NEXT TURN OR YOU CAN APPLY THEM RIGHT AWAY (LIKE YOU DO WHEN YOU HAVE TO MANY CARD IN HAND). AS YOU COLLECT MORE YOU WILL GET MORE MEN TO YOUR POINTS, AGAIN ON NEXT TURN OR APPLY IT AS SOON AS YOU GET IT AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AT LESS TWO OR THREE STARS."

Also, I didn't really understand your earlier idea here^^^, but I don't think it is something that you can do. You can't really change the rules for this map in particular, you have to make the map work under the current rules.

I don't particularly like the images you've chosen for the impassable borders, but I do like the coloring, textures and other images. The impassable images can be updated at any time though, I think your first concern should be getting them in the right place so that the continents have few enough borders that they can be held.
Major sully800

It's about done I think!

Postby rgbubba on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:20 pm

If anyone can help with anything That would be great.
Thanks.
Private rgbubba

Postby ericisshort on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:11 pm

I really dont like this map at all. I'm just going to be honest here. It just looks ugly. The playability is decent but you just dont have the graphic design skills to pull it off. I'm not trying to be mean even though you prolly are going to take offense.

Try looking at some of the other maps and try to copy things a bit. There is no need to have galveston and padre island so friggin huge. The territory border lines are really fat and straight. um... try using effects on your layers to spice things up a bit. um... I could go on for hours...
Captain ericisshort

Postby austex on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:31 am

just ignore ericisshort... the guy is short AND from oklahoma, so he's got some serious texas envy. he should make an oklahoma map if he thinks he can do better. there aren't many landmarks to use as barriers, but he could certainly use mobile homes across the whole state.

he does have a point about the enormous size of padre and galveston, but i think the map looks good and is far from ugly. some areas are not exactly in their correct place, but i don't think its absolutely necessary to have a geographically perfect map to be fun. personally, i like the fact that you spelled it "okahoma".
Major austex

Postby Anarkistsdream on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:46 am

austex wrote:just ignore ericisshort... the guy is short AND from oklahoma, so he's got some serious texas envy. he should make an oklahoma map if he thinks he can do better. there aren't many landmarks to use as barriers, but he could certainly use mobile homes across the whole state.

he does have a point about the enormous size of padre and galveston, but i think the map looks good and is far from ugly. some areas are not exactly in their correct place, but i don't think its absolutely necessary to have a geographically perfect map to be fun. personally, i like the fact that you spelled it "okahoma".

hey hey hey, now... I'm from Oklahoma, and I've seen just as many trailer parks through western Texas...

Now, on to the map... I really like Map five the most. I think it has great playability, and I like what you have done with the borders and all.

My only complaint is that fucking cowboy.... He looks so.... crappy. You should find a picture of Daniel Boone or someone from the Alamo... Or else replace that pic WITH the Alamo.
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

That's a good idea.

Postby rgbubba on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:16 pm

I will try that And see what it looks like. Look at map seven and see if you like that better.
Private rgbubba

Postby ericisshort on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:12 pm

austex wrote:just ignore ericisshort... the guy is short AND from oklahoma, so he's got some serious texas envy. he should make an oklahoma map if he thinks he can do better.
I am from texas as a matter of fact. Just going to school in oklahoma right now. I wouldnt want to do an oklahoma map because I think it would be retarded.

Map 7 does look a lot better. But I have a couple of things to say:

1) why did you choose to make the impassible borders barbed wire in the west when that is the exact area of all the mountains, but make mountains in the lower hill country? It just seems like you got it backwards.

2) do you know how to bevel your layers? I think a small bevel around the territories would really help the aesthetics a lot.

3) instead of using the very obvious closeup pic of dirt for the background texture, why dont you try using a topographic texas map or something similar. I'm pretty sure thats what they did in the europe map, and it looks fantastic. For example, just putting this map behind your layers and lowering its saturation would work. Then if you play with the region layers you could make it look really nice.. for instance, instead of making the color layers partially transparent, change the layer dropdown from NORMAL to OVERLAY or COLOR or something like that. I dunno, there are plenty of tweaks you could do to make that look much better.

4) the lines for the borders look unnecessarily fat. Could you possible maybe reduce them to like half of what they currently are to see if it looks a bit better?

5) Could you please change the name of "the south" to "the valley"? I dont have a problem with most of your names for places but the south is just so generic, and the region is actually in real life called the valley.

6) I promise this is the last one for now... but could you open up attacks into texarkana. I think that playability wise, that continent would be too good of a place to start out with right now, because once taken it has a generally easy move into the gulf region without having to defend anything else. There should only be one continent with one entrance per map.
Last edited by ericisshort on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain ericisshort

Postby btownmeggy on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:25 pm

I think the Cowboy looks nice.
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby ericisshort on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Is it just me or does he look exactly like john c reilly sporting his 'stache from talladega nights...

Captain ericisshort

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas