Conquer Club

Issue 8: 11/02/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Tue May 26, 2009 9:16 pm

Editor’s Note

Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
Hope you find all kinds of tournaments that suit your tastes in this issue.

Enjoy!
Gozar

Index

News
Currently Taking Signups
Tournament Updates
Coming Soon
The Tournament Roll of Honour
Interview with MarVal
Next Issue
Notes
Staff

News
Have a comment on any news item? Send in your letters to Gozar.

Distribution by Mass Messenger
As the forum upgrade has been delayed, we will continue to distribute the newsletter using simor’s mass messaging program.

Newsletter Poll
I have increased the length that I will run the newsletter poll, due to poor voter turnout. Please take a moment to visit the Suggestion Thread in the Q&A subforum and cast your vote. The current question: “What is the deciding factor for you in choosing a tournament?”

Currently Taking Signups
Here are just some of the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Monopoly CC Edition
Orgainiser: amazzony and simor
Tournament based on the famous board game Monopoly. It needs premium membership and 2 months of commitment but it's a bit different than many other tournaments. Still looking for a few players to make sure that everybody who wants can get on board.

The Scroll
Organiser: amazzony
Based on a movie Bulletproof Monk, this tournament takes us into the world of Nobel Prophesies and The Scroll that needs The Chosen to take care of it. Join the battle to be The One ;)

The Battle of Emperors
Organiser: zimmah

The Next Feudal Lord or Lady
Organiser: RedRover23B

CC AFL League
Organiser: TheScarecrow

True Ladder Format Tournament
Organiser: badnuzjr

Tennis Davis Cup
Organiser: Lufsen75

The Mod Wars
Organiser: Night Strike

2008 Presidential Election Tournament
Organiser: waiwai933

Tournament Updates
Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Fantastic Four: Evil Rises
Organiser: amazzony
We are moving along nicely, people are joining their games fast (I guess chance to win premium encourages them :lol:); smaller groups (2&3-player games) move faster, bigger games take more time due to No Card games (but for next rounds, I've fixed that problem and we'll be using settings that help games to move faster). Fight to know who is the Master Villain continues.

Termination: Classic
Orgainser: amzzony
3rd week about to begin, we are nicely moving on with finishing a game or two per week in each of three divisions. Even with all that terminating, players are behaving well and friendly :D

Conqueror of Conquer Club
Orgainser: amazzony
Round 2 about to end, with a few 1v1 games left to decide which conqueror drops out. I'm very happy that all the participants are giving me time to get things back on track and to normal pace.

1v1 Singles League Season 4
Organiser: amazzony and simor
10 days since the beginning of the league and everything still seems to be going smoothly. Drop outs are replaced with reserve players, standing will be updated before next batch of games starts in a week and players seem friendly. What else can you want from a big league with 100 players and overall 900 games :)

Cairns Coral Coast Masters:
Organisers: Optimus Prime/ Gozar
Four divisions compete for premium membership, on maps designed by the tournament’s sponser, cairnswk.
Division One
smiteo is the winner
Division Two
Division Three
Last round three game is now running.
Division Four

The World Leader's Assassin Tournament
Organisers: Gozar
Day Three is about to start as the final game of Day 2 is wrapping up

The Long Walk
Final game of the round STILL running.

Battle Europe
The third installment of Gozar’s “Battle” series. Congratulations to Paulus for getting a bye to the finals.

Feudal War Singles Tournament
Organiser: Godd
Godd has taken over organizing this tournament.

”You’re Eliminated” V
Organiser: Godd
Still going strong.

The Player’s Tournament
Orgainser: Godd
Round Two continues.

Coming Soon

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

The Official Age of Realms Trilogy Tournament from Sir. Ricco
Look for it: When the Final Age map nears completion

The Tournament Roll of Honour

Here are some recent tournament winners.

”Menage a ConquerClub”- ^MsCarolyn^
”Who Rules the School?”- Gozar
”Cairns Coral Coast Masters-Division One”- smiteo
”CHL Season”- Godd
”The Seasons”- Gilligan
”Mission-Survive the Longest”- lord voldemort
”Kooler’s Klassic Tournament”- ^MsCarolyn^
”3456 League”- dcc1220
”Battle For Middle Earth”- negoeien
”You’re Eliminated” IV”- JeF

Interview with Gozar
Our latest installment of interviews, I, Gozar, will answer some of your questions. All questions are reader submitted, so if you have something you want to ask an upcoming organizer; PM me. Next week’s interview will be with pjdonald. If you have not submitted your questions, you have until Tuesday to either PM me, or post in this thread.
In two weeks, our interview will be with Night Strike. Feel free to begin submitting your questions now, I have created this thread for that purpose.

Now, on with the interview.

Q: Hello, Gozar.

A: Hi, tournament fans.

Q: What made you want to start running tournaments?

A: I had played in a couple, and realized, ‘Hey, I could do this.’ I thought it would be fun, so I did.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran and first played in.

A: The first tournament I played in was Coleman’s Bracket Tournament. I filled in for someone who had left and was eliminated straight away.
The first tournament I ran was “Battle North America”, which is a simple double elimination setup with three player games. It is in its third incarnation, this time in Europe.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: I was pretty pleased. I had won a lot of board game RISK, so it was not a totally foreign feeling.

Q: How many tournaments have you won?

A: Three.

Q: Where did you come up with the ideas for your tournaments?

A: Often they are inspired by other tournaments. I see what someone has done before and modify it to something more in line with what I want.

Q: How many tournaments have you run and how long have they been?

A: I am currently on my eighth tournament. On average they probably take two months to get through, although “The Long Walk” has been going for almost a year.

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why?

A: No not really. Depending on what I want to do, the format can vary.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you've run? Why?

A: I really enjoyed running “Cairns Coral Coast Masters”. It was a huge tournament and I really enjoy the maps that cairnswk makes, so it was great to collaborate with him.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in?

A: This is a tough question. Probably one that I have won. :P

Q: Will you ever run a 1 vs 1 tournament?

A: I would not count on it. I do not really like 1v1 very much, and I like to enter all my tournaments.

Q: What tournament did you start hating deadbeats?

A: I guess I have been lucky, in that I never have had much of a problem with this.

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A: I should not have put so many ‘No Cards’ games in “The Long Walk.” They slow progression of the tournament down a lot. Use them sparingly.

Q: What are your thoughts on the in-clan tournament issue?

A: I hope we have a system set up soon. Until then, creating private games is only a slight inconvenience.

Q: How is your social life, since you spent so much time on CC?

A: I have no complaints.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: I would create a separate forum for complaining about dice.

Q: Why did you pick the name Gozar?

A: I had been using it in another online game, and just kept it when I came here. Also, I enjoy the Ghostbusters.

Q: If you had to choose a different screen name what would it be?

A: That is a tough one. Fenrir maybe. Or someone from ‘The Wheel of Time’ series.

Q: Where did you get your avatar, and what is it?

A: My avatar is me! I got it from my friend after he took a picture of me.

Q: What is it like being an Assistant Clan Leader to Optimus?

A: Optimus listens to my ideas, is open to criticism and is hardly overbearing. All I could ask for. :D

Q: How come you are so cool?

A: Because I did not plant this question here.

Q: Which CCr's would you like to meet and hang out with??

A: Everyone from my clan I would like to meet. I would like to sit on lack’s couch for a day while he does his thing. I think that would be neat.

Q: What is your favorite emoticon?

A: :mrgreen:

Q: What do you do on a typical Monday?

A: Up at 6:30 and off to college. Monday’s are usually only half days for me, as my trigonometry skills get me out of math. Then I come home, play some CC and put the final touches on the newsletter. I send it off to simor for him to send out. After that the day is wide open. Most Monday nights I go jam with my band, but one of our members is recovering from surgery, and another is in Tennessee so that has not happened for the past couple weeks.

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: Battle Europe II as soon as Battle Europe finishes. I have a Canada themed tournament in the works. In the future I may do a Wheel of Time tournament, if a better one doesn’t come out first.

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: Yeah….no problem, now buy me a drink!

Next Issue

Interview with pjdonald pjdonald will answer reader submitted questions in our tournament interview series.

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff

Editor- Gozar
Title Design- spinwizard
Distributor- simor
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives