Conquer Club

Issue 58: 28/01/09

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Wed May 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Hello tournament fans. More tournament news for your pleasure. Enjoy!
As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Image Newsletter Poll
Image Seeking Staff
Image Fun Facts
Image Currently Taking Signups
Image Tournament Updates
Image Coming Soon
Image The Tournament Roll of Honour
Image Interview with a.sub
Image Next Issue
Image Notes
Image Staff

Would you not join a tournament if it included an assassin, terminator or freestyle game?
Our poll is still running, so vote while there is still time!
Please stop by the Suggestion Thread and vote.

We are still seeking an interested, motivated player to fill the News Hound role. We are always glad to have people interested in helping. If you are, please contact me, Gozar.

Tournament Dates are now added to the Tournament Hall of Fame!

Here are the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Teams Tournaments

Road to the Super Bowl
Organizer: king sam

16 Team Round Robin 2v2
Organizer: Surgeon General

End of Days
Organizer: Blitzaholic

Mixed Maps
Organizer: Natascha

Bar Double Dutch
Organiser: PaulusH
Using a 3x3 windmill setup
This tournament has 9 double teams, but still needs some reserves :ugeek:
Planned start date: 9 February

1 versus 1 Tournaments

The (2 Player) League
Organizer: BaldAdonis

Best Players of the 2000’s NCAA
Organizer: blacky44

Best Players of the 2000’s NFL
Organizer: blacky44

An Evolutionary Tournament II
Organizer: Woodruff

British Isles: Best of the Best
Organizer: Lady Hellia

From Order Comes Chaos
Organizer: GrimReaper.

New College Basketball Season
Organizer: dutchxc

Lost: When and Where Are We?
Organizer: JoJo123

Around All CC’s Maps: CCU
Organizer: HighlanderAttack

General Tournaments

Fit-To-Order Tournament
Organizer: Mr_Adams

Final Fantasy Wars
Organizer: frozen_flame

From Large Games to Small
Organizer: geigerm
The premise is pretty simple--you'll start off playing an 8-player game, the finals will consist of 1v1 games, and you'll play every size in between as you work your way through the tournament.
(11/56 as of Jan. 12)

Jump the Castle!
Organizer: riskyman1221

Tourney of Disaster!
Organizer: Jennybh

Poketourney
Organizer: juliusceaser

GameZZone: Starcraft
Organizer: amazzony

Class Struggle
Organizer: TaCktiX
A metamap tournament based off of The Citadel, both in map and in reality. Very low game load (likely 4-5 most rounds), but likely a high number of rounds.
Players needed: 18 regular, 5 reserves

Terrorism 101
Organizer: anamainiacks

NHL 2008-09
Organizer: SNARF17WD

Champion of Scotland
Organizer: scottishleaf

World War II
Organizer: JweezyIII

King of the Mountains
Organizer: sailorseal

WWII Europe Skills
Organizer: Iron Maid

You’ve Been Hired To Kill That King
Organizer: DarthBlood

Just In Time Tournament
Organizer: coded

Joe’s Knucklehead Tournament
Organizer: tyler197802198

Country Clash
Organizer: dellmanlego

European Knockout Club
Organizer: DJ Teflon

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!

Asian Dinner Date
Using a 5x5 windmill setup.
Finished :!: Most people had fun and amazzony did win =D>

City trip
Using a 7x7 windmill setup.
Everybody left Sydney and last visister-group did go to San Francisco
Planned end date: 25 February

Trippel Trappel
Using a 6x6 windmill setup
Everybody is singing in Actium
Planned End Date: 5 May

Mac Dinner Date
Using a 5x5 windmill setup
Most people are eating a Big Mac
Planned end date: 10 October

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
Round Eight underway.

The Long Walk
Organisers: Gozar
All games before the next elimination are now running.

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Finals are now pending.

World Baseball CLassic - Quads
Organiser: AmphibiousRodent
A double elimination tournament featuring 16 countries. The first round is underway.

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

From keiths31:In keeping with the "Musical Chairs" theme there will be:
Musical Chairs: Mini Maps
Musical Chairs: North American City Tour

Tournament ideas from the mind of barterer2002 in the New Year
The Serbian Conquest
Kaplowitz's Unrelated Tournament
God of Godds
Night Sticks and Stones
Down and Dirty V
Brothers in Arms

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"Grand Prix Season 1" -Daviedoo
"Pearl Harbour" -Shatners Bassoon, Chariot of Fire, Daryth, Jpeter15
"Assassins Creed Tournament" -fwblb
"NFL Season" -Jojo123
"Doubles Elimination III" -MudPuppy and Checkmated
"16 Bracket Showdown" -Godd
"Around All CCs Maps: BeNeLux" -killmanic
"Realms War" -BamBam
"Tupence's African Tournament" -BrotherWolf
"Dictate the Universe" -Velodra
"Hitman Europe" -shoop76
"Around All CCs Maps: Battle for Iraq" -killmanic
"EIOT Battle for Warterloo" - waseemalim
"Drug Lord Hitman" -madman7
"Pirates of the Mediterannean" -Natelya
"Around All CCs Maps: Berlin 1961" -nagerous
"Around All CCs Maps: Bamboo Jack" -Jackofalltrades
"Thanksgiving" -Gilligan
"Escalators" -Blitzaholic
"Mythical Magical Journey" -FidelX
"Pokemon Pearl" -dustin800
"Asian Dinner Date" -amazzony
"Battle for Pearl Harbour" -mwcc
"Kotaros New World Singles Tourney" -Godd
"Championship Series: Classic Art" -RedBaron0
"Championship Series: Classic Shapes" -Bones2484
"Around All CCs Maps: Canada" -Blitzaholic
"Minimalist Tourney II" -samwisebrady
"Best and Worst Tour" -Gilligan

This week we sat down for a chat with a.sub. All the questions in the interview are based off input from newsletter readers. Next week, our interview is with Zoebear1. You can get your questions in by posting in this thread.

Now, on with the interview!

Q: Hello, a.sub.

A: Hey!

Q:How did you find this website?

A: I was pointed in its direction through a friend who doesn't play here anymore, I believe he was (before he quit anyway) ipopmycollar

Q: Why did you join CC?

A:I'm a risk nerd and damn proud :lol:

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A:Well I was in the forums (for the first time) and ran into it, it seemed simple to join one so I did, although I forget what the first one I joined was :?

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A: Well all the tournaments I saw usually had a high ranked member as the winner. so I figured it would be fair to make one for newer ranks (cooks and below) to give them a good shot at a victory, thus came my "Battle of the N00bs" franchise.

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A: 2008-07-28 15:20:35 - Game has been initialized
That's the date of the first tournament game I ever made :)

Q:What tournament did you first run?

A: Battle of the n00bs

Q: Where did you come up with your tournament ideas?

A:
Well all the tournaments I saw usually had a high ranked member as the winner. so I figured it would be fair to make one for newer ranks (cooks and below) to give them a good shot at a victory, thus came my "Battle of the N00bs" franchise.
copy and paste ftw! :lol: :lol:

Q: Who do you look to for inspiration when organizing your tournaments?

A: Actually I took a lot of advice from ZZ on things like brackets and using an excel spread sheet to organize your ideas.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A: For the first one I was in was ZZ's olympics, the first group, it was a lot of fun, each win felt like more of a victory than just points and each loss was more of a loss than just points, it was fun.
For the first one I ran, like I said was battle of the n00bs, and when I look back at it I see all the stupid things I did :oops:

Q: How many tournaments have you run already, and do you have a goal in mind for how many you want to run in total before you "retire"? How many are you running right now?

A: I have finished 4, I'm running 3 right now simultaneously, and as for retiring I can only answer this with a quote
[quote=Wierd Al]I'll be mellow when I'm dead[/quote]

Q:What tournaments have you organized?

A:
  • Batlle of the n00bs
  • Tour de france (ongoing)
  • Revolt! (ongoing)

Q:What is your favourite tournament you have run?

A: Well the revolt tourney seems like it will be a lot of fun, but I guess we have to wait to find out :D

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in? Why?

A: Not to blow my own horn, but I think it was battle of the n00bs, because it was easy to play, as you only played people on your own level, but at the same time anyone can join and win!

Q:Do you prefer to run or enter tournaments?

A: run, I would play more but I'm a freemium :(

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why? Is there a format that is your favourite?

A: well I usually prefer brackets because they are easy, (a trend revolt should break) and I usually like the options to be voted on, I like that freedom to be there. the only exception is in the Tour de France, I did that because playing that on say the Asia map would be just plain dumb :lol:

Q: Do you find it easier to choose tournament settings yourself, or to let the players customize them?

A:
I usually like the options to be voted on, I like that freedom to be there. the only exception is in the Tour de France, I did that because playing that on say the Asia map would be just plain dumb :lol:
I should stop doing that lol

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A:I don't play a lot of tournament games actually, its because I can only have four slots and it seems that the time between games in a tourney tends to be longer than normal, when I get premium eventually I will definitely play in more.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: :lol: That was a lot of fun, because I felt like I had just conquered the world haha

Q:Have you ever won a tournament?

A: :oops: no

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A: None actually, I find complete amusement in losing in tournaments :lol:

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A: Everyone has fun, even if everyone loses and the world collapses in the process, as long as a good few laughs were made, who cares?

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A: hmmmmmm, probably BotN2, no deadbeats, and no complaints :D

Q: What is the best Tournament that you think has been underestimated?

A: Underestimated? Like under valued? I actually never cared about the "value" of my tourneys, yeah they aren't anywhere as honor deserving as some of those

Q:Have you ever been disappointed in a tournament you have run? What about one you entered?

A: None that i have entered, as for ones I have run? yeah, but it was more, "Wow that was dumb of me" moments

Q: What makes a successful organizer?

A: Making people enjoy their tournaments, how to do that? I have no idea :P

Q: How do you attract players to your tournament, and what aspect (besides a reward of a premium prize or something like that) of a tournament do you think appeals to a lot of players and why?

A: I post really awesome messages that attract attention :lol: I used to send out mass PMs but I stopped haha. What appeals to people should be a set up that makes them go, "FUCKIN' EPIC!" :lol:

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A: Messing up :oops: which I do a lot

Q: For you, what is the best part of being a tournament organizer?

A: I don't know actually, I run them and enjoy doing so but I have no idea why

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A: Well for me it was just being dumb, wrong passwords, wrong games, wrong setting etc.

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A: NEVER send our mass PMs with games, I found out the hard way that people can join the wrong games, oh and never make a bunch of games with the player's name in the subject and make your players search for it, not that I ever did that 8-[ :mrgreen:

Q:What is your opinion on organizer neutrality? Should organizers be allowed to place themselves against their own clanmates in tournaments? Should organizers be allowed to join their own tournaments at all?

A: I dont know enough about how clanmates work with/against each other in games to argue that, but I think a TO should join his/her tourney's as long as they can maintain a neutral stance :)

Q: Do you use a "schedule" for updating your tournaments, or do you just wait until they need an update?

A: :lol: actually I rarely update my thread, I usually just PM the player, they are really the only ones who care :lol:

Q:Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A: Yeah, they never gave me any troubles

Q:Do you feel it is better to give a bye to players whose opponents deadbeats the tournament, or to use a reserve?

A: Use a reserve if possible, but if you can't then a bye is fairer then trying to find another reserve.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: free premium member ships for all :lol: :lol:

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: Well one thing would be for all the tournament games in active tournaments to be in a tab in "my games" would greatly reduce my searching for them as I am running 3 tournaments

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: have fun!

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A: actually the only one that I truly have a problem with is when people in my tournaments don't follow directions. Like I will ask people to vote one something and give them a format to fill out. They will not use the format, vote on things that they weren't supposed to, not vote on things they were supposed to. Or for home maps they say stuff like "I don't care" which is annoying because if they didn't care they could just pick one at random

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A: Well it takes up a lot but I multi task, I check threads while doing my homework, etc.

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A: A bunch actually :lol:, look at my signature, haha, the only one not there is the dare to be funny clan, and that's because I need to figure out a a good signature for that :P

Q:Who are you?

A: I am SPARTACUS!

Q: Why did you pick the name a.sub?

A: first letter of first name, and last 3 of my last. Why 1 and 3? because ad.subr sounds dumb :lol:

Q:Where are you from?

A: Born in CA, lived in Tucson, AZ for 7 years, and now moved back to the east bay in CA, the Danville area. But my heritage is Indian (Asian)

Q:Are you, or ever have you, been diagnosed with a mental instability or disability?

A: nope

Q:Why are you so awesome?

A: :lol:

Q:Why do you ask questions that you should answer yourself ?

A: Because I thought it would be funny :lol:

Q:Favourite play colour?

A: red! its my favorite color (avatar :lol:)

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A: I like simple maps that don't have too complex of gameplay. and this is only because it confuses me, I like things that are simple, not necessarily just countries and bonuses but something that doesnt have like 80 different gimmicks to confuse people.

Q:Favourite settings?

A: sequential, unlimited, flat rate, no fog

Q:Freestyle or sequential?

A: sequential

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: not really, i was thinking of an assassin-esque tournament

Q: Any parting shots?

A: I don't understand

Q: Thank you for your time.

A:Thanks for setting this up! it was fun

Interviews Interview with Zoebear1

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Recruiting Editor/Fun Facts- Gilligan
Graphics- Sir. Ricco/samuelc812
News Hound- Vacant
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives