Conquer Club

Question for Experienced TOs, Re: Deadbeaters...

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Question for Experienced TOs, Re: Deadbeaters...

Postby Kinnison on Thu May 14, 2009 10:45 pm

I'd thought about PMing a half-dozen or so TOs I know who run a lot of tournaments, but it seems that would be quite intrusive, depending on what kind of mail load they have going on. So I just ask those who have the time to reply here.

How do you handle those who deadbeat during a tournament? Two scenarios:

1: Someone deadbeats ALL their games. The immediate response is easy, replace them with a reserve or byes. No HUGE problem, but some annoyance.

2: Assume a longer format (league-type). Someone deadbeats a few games, no explanations. they continue to play. The round is almost over, and I understand life gets busy. Most of us have missed a turn now and again, and we try to keep it down. i know some folks who are great reliable players who managed to deadbeat out of a game when RL bit them on the ass, figuratively.

What I want to know is... You run your NEXT tournament... One of these folks signs up (either 1 or 2 above). What's your response? Also, I assume the foe list has no effect on tournament player/TO relationship? Only in-game opponents?

...I hate to ask this sort of thing publicly, I'm not TRYING to call anyone out here. But it's something I want to have some ideas on before I send my second tournament out for sign-ups. (Slightly more complex than the first, but thankfully, MUCH better pre-planned)

Respond here, or by PM if you wish.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Re: Question for Experienced TOs, Re: Deadbeaters...

Postby jpcloet on Fri May 15, 2009 6:02 am

I'd start by having a pm conversation with that player.

Hey I noticed that you missed some turns last time.........what's the deal? Will you be able to fully commit to this tournament.......if not, please consider removing your name from the sign up list ......etc.
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby Woodruff on Mon May 18, 2009 1:41 am

Kinnison wrote:I'd thought about PMing a half-dozen or so TOs I know who run a lot of tournaments, but it seems that would be quite intrusive, depending on what kind of mail load they have going on. So I just ask those who have the time to reply here.
How do you handle those who deadbeat during a tournament? Two scenarios:
1: Someone deadbeats ALL their games. The immediate response is easy, replace them with a reserve or byes. No HUGE problem, but some annoyance.

I don't actually pay attention to DEADBEATS, per se (in other words, those who join their game but don't complete it). I figure that's just an easy win for their opponent/opponents. However, if someone doesn't show up at all...if it's the first round of play, I replace them. If it's after the first round of play, then they are simply removed from the tournament with no replacement (other than a bye if it's a bracket-style tournament). My feeling is that it's not fair to the rest of the tournament participants to replace them with someone else who didn't have to fight through the earlier rounds.

Kinnison wrote:What I want to know is... You run your NEXT tournament... One of these folks signs up (either 1 or 2 above). What's your response? Also, I assume the foe list has no effect on tournament player/TO relationship? Only in-game opponents?

First of all, about the foe list...the only way it would affect one of my tournaments is if I didn't see someone sign up for the tournament (because they were on my foe list). Other than that...as long as they behave themselves in MY tournament, I won't exclude them. Unless they've been previously excluded for bad behavior (which fortunately has not happened yet).

As to the NEXT tournament question...it'd have to be on a case-by-case basis. They would have to take the initiative to contact me via PM to explain the circumstances of their previous failure (I wouldn't contact them), and I'd make a determination from that. I feel it should be on their initiative, as that would show they were serious about being in the tournament.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby samuelc812 on Mon May 18, 2009 2:00 am

jpcloet wrote:I'd start by having a pm conversation with that player.

Hey I noticed that you missed some turns last time.........what's the deal? Will you be able to fully commit to this tournament.......if not, please consider removing your name from the sign up list ......etc.

I agree here with jpcloet. Confront the player politely ask them what the deal is, will they commit fully to this tournament. If you get no response then remove the player from the sign-up list and don't allow them to sign-up for future tournaments, until they respond to you.

Another idea is to put a restriction on your tournament, e.g. "Only those with 99% turns taken may sign-up" this would lower the likelyhood of getting some potential deadbeaters in your tournament.

Good Luck ;)

Kind Regards,
samuelc812
Captain samuelc812

Postby Kotaro on Mon May 18, 2009 2:14 am

samuelc812 wrote:I agree here with jpcloet. Confront the player politely ask them what the deal is, will they commit fully to this tournament. If you get no response then remove the player from the sign-up list and don't allow them to sign-up for future tournaments, until they respond to you.

Another idea is to put a restriction on your tournament, e.g. "Only those with 99% turns taken may sign-up" this would lower the likelyhood of getting some potential deadbeaters in your tournament.

Good Luck ;)

Kind Regards,
samuelc812

likelihood. ;)

And I disagree completely. My foe list has next to no one on it, but the people that are on it, are either suiciders, assholes, or really bad players and ruin games. So my general rule is, if they're on my foe list, I won't make people play against them in my tournament. That'll just make it look like shit.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Lieutenant Kotaro

Postby barterer2002 on Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 am

I will always give second chances, Most people who are deadbeating out aren't going to want to join the next one anyway but if they sign up I'll allow them in.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Kinnison on Wed May 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks, folks. All good opinions, and I got some useful ideas. I can see both/all sides of the issue, so I appreciate the feedback.

Hmmm. Actually, AFAIK, there's NO ONE on my foe list...
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby EagleofGreenErth on Sat May 30, 2009 3:50 am

If I get unpleasant people in my tourney, then they will not be allowed into future tourneys. End of story, no exceptions.
Corporal 1st Class EagleofGreenErth

Postby Kotaro on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:37 pm

EagleofGreenErth wrote:If I get unpleasant people in my tourney, then they will not be allowed into future tourneys. End of story, no exceptions.

But I loooooove yooooou
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Lieutenant Kotaro

Return to Tournament Archives