United States of Apocalypse [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

United States of Apocalypse [Quenched]

Postby Jota on Fri May 19, 2006 2:10 am

How do you expect it to all end? Earthquakes? Hurricanes? The robot revolution, or an infestation of voodoo zombies? Political upheaval, a return to Luddism, mutant corn monsters, or just a good old fashioned nuclear war?

Well, now you can have it all. Introducing my latest project: "The United States of Apocalypse".

[url=http://grunk.org/risk/usa5-large.jpg]Image
(Click for larger image)[/url]

So the legends definitely need (and will get) some work, I'm not sure how legible the font is at the lower resolution, and I'll probably be adding some kind of artwork or backgrounds or something later. But this is the current draft I'm working from, and I thought it was about time to get some community feedback on it.

At this point, you might be peering curiously at those little radioactive symbols. Each country with one of those symbols is worth a -1 bonus to your deployment. Yup, a negative bonus. But before you get too angry about the unfairness of one person getting stuck with two/three/four of them at the start of the game, note this: for every three of them you own, you get a +1 (positive) bonus as well.

And that's combinatorical and cumulative: if you own five of them, that's ten different sets of three (as Cribbage players should know). You get both the -5 and the +10, for a total bonus of 5. Own all six, and you've got it made in the shade with a net gain of 14. Doesn't seem like such a raw deal now, right?

So I'm looking for constructive feedback and helpful suggestions. I'm not going to drop the central gimmick, of course, but I am interested in hearing what people have to say, both about it and (of course) about the rest of the map.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby HighBorn on Fri May 19, 2006 2:14 am

The idea behind it is great... i like the idea of the radioactive -1 penalties.. adds a whole element. im all for it...
Private HighBorn

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby Derwiddle on Fri May 19, 2006 3:45 am

LOL! Love the idea! :lol:

I'd play it when it's done. :)
Opportune-Moment
op·por·tune mo·ment
n.
A point in time well suited for doing something incredibly stupid.
Corporal 1st Class Derwiddle

Medals: 3
Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby fluffybunnykins on Fri May 19, 2006 4:45 am

cool.
I think we could have some more fun with the names, though. You made a nice start with some...
If the south is going to be called voodoo bayou maybe the states could be called something to match: Dark n sore, No Virginia, Georgedubia, Messisippi, etc.
Old Newland? think corny fake medieval: Ye Olde Englande, etc.
I'm not from round these parts, so I won't have the best actual suggestions!
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby haha on Fri May 19, 2006 6:40 am

you must get ride of the tosike sine in New york you should put it in new jersy since thats nown as the armpit of america
and why is florda maked cuba
you could also add alaska
Lieutenant haha

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby fluffybunnykins on Fri May 19, 2006 6:48 am

I think you'll find alaska is there, marked '1111-moos', top-left.
the florida/cuba thing is great, keep it, imo
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby kingwaffles on Fri May 19, 2006 7:12 am

pretty cool idea. I like the radioactive symbol thing, it's good to get new ideas on maps as opposed to just new maps....
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby qeee1 on Fri May 19, 2006 7:50 am

I'm not sure, what if you start with two of them... you're basically crippled the first few turns.

Just to check my stats the bonuses would be:

Number owned / Bonus
1 / -1
2 / -2
3 / -2
4 / 0
5 / 5
6 / 14
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby kingwaffles on Fri May 19, 2006 9:05 am

You do have a point there Quee, as it is now it would just destroy anyone who started out with 2 like that. Maybe you get a bonus if you have 2? or perhaps something else.....
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby Fieryo on Fri May 19, 2006 9:21 am

ok, great idea, im a big fan, but im also TOTALLY math retarded, as in i have a hard time with 2 + 2 type stuff. could there be some way of making all the negatives and positives...simpler?
...where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it -- "history"
Major Fieryo

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby rocksolid on Fri May 19, 2006 9:56 am

Awesome, Jota. Not enough comedy in the map foundry these days. But if you don't pull Quebec out of this equation I will hunt you down in every game we play together, and that's a promise. :twisted:

The lettering is particularly hard to read for the robot states right now. I didn't get the Tatr joke at first because I couldn't see it.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2)

Postby Jota on Fri May 19, 2006 2:03 pm

qeee1 wrote:Number owned / Bonus
1 / -1
2 / -2
3 / -2
4 / 0
5 / 5
6 / 14

Those match my numbers. The other distribution I was thinking of was -2 per contaminated country and +2 per pair of countries. That would look like:

1 / -2
2 / -2
3 / 0
4 / 4
5 / 10
6 / 18

This would lessen the problem of starting with two, since A) you'd only be one country away from losing the penalty altogether, and B) you wouldn't be any worse off than the people with just one. On the other hand, it would make the bonus for holding five or six pretty immense.

Fieryo: I figure once I've settled on one distribution or another, you can just look at that little chart in this post to see how much they're worth.

rocksolid: But don't you want more maps with Quebec in them? We could add it to the North America map, and to Brazil, and to Tamriel...
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Marvaddin on Fri May 19, 2006 3:43 pm

Yeah, Im adding Quebec to Brazil map just now... :lol:

I like the idea, but some questions:
Is really possible give negative bonuses?
Yeah, start with these negative things would be really terrible, so we need think about it... Is it possible always start the games with neutral armies there? Maybe only 2, since the neutral player got the -1 penalty :lol:
We really need think about a fair bonus, but not really that much... How about:
1: -1
2: 0 (it would make more easier manage the penalties, and also easier to f*ck your opponent :wink: If he has 2, attack one)
3: 1
4: 2
5: 4
6: 7
Code the xml to this would be a kick in the balls, surely.
I also dont understand the names of gray countries... what they mean? Shouldnt they be something, ah, more simple?

Now Im sure you are american, Jota. :twisted:
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Evil Pope on Fri May 19, 2006 4:25 pm

I like this map.. I don't really have any good suggestions..
But I loved the Florida/Cuba thing..
Sergeant Evil Pope

Apocalypse Map

Postby sfhbballnut on Fri May 19, 2006 4:38 pm

Great Idea. Can't wait to play it
Corporal sfhbballnut

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Next

Return to The Atlas