Conquer Club

Random Map

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Random Map

Postby squishyg on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:20 pm

A very cool idea, looking forward to partaking!
Captain squishyg

Postby n00blet on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:37 pm

Wait...What happened? I tried to give this a go and it's just selecting Peloponnesian War (because it's at the bottom of the map list I presume)....

Was this taken offline already :?
Captain n00blet

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:48 pm

lackattack wrote:I've disabled Random Map until we solve the bug with maps that have restrictions on the # of players...

Poof gone like the wind...
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby watsonshawn on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:41 am

Big thumbs up.
Cook watsonshawn

Postby DaJuice on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:35 am

Beautiful thank you
Corporal 1st Class DaJuice

Postby zeractal on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:22 am

Don't have it so you can chose specific maps to disable or the people who "really" must have points will disable all bar the one they play.
or someone like Kind Herpes might use it instead of setting up city mogul freestyle because lets face it nobody would be as foolish as to join those games (he hasn't already foed).

it would make nobody want to play random and defy the point
Major zeractal

Postby Witt13 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:08 am

zeractal wrote:Don't have it so you can chose specific maps to disable or the people who "really" must have points will disable all bar the one they play.
or someone like Kind Herpes might use it instead of setting up city mogul freestyle because lets face it nobody would be as foolish as to join those games (he hasn't already foed).

it would make nobody want to play random and defy the point

No, its disabled as in you can't use random maps... There was some bugs, and some games got really screwed up. Like an 8 player game on fuedal, or this Game 5015199
Colonel Witt13

Postby MyTurnToWin on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:35 am

In my game Game 5017093 there isn't a map, but the game started. And one player has been eliminated by a neutral player. At least it doesn't show that they lost any points!

I wonder what rank the neutral player is? :lol:
Sergeant MyTurnToWin

Postby Assassin07 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:04 pm

looks like nutral was messing them up
-Assassin07
IF YOU JOIN MULTIPLE OF MY 2 PLAYER GAMES AND FIND YOURSELF FOED IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY I AM ON A MEDAL HUNT.
-ASSASSIN07
Cook Assassin07

Postby Aesop Jones on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:59 pm

So if the game's already initialized in a map that doesn't exist, what's going to happen if I hit Begin Turn?
Sergeant Aesop Jones

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Essentially I think we're SOL Aesop
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby lackattack on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Random Map is back online! :D

It will no longer select maps when there are more players than what the map allows.

If you have a game that got screwed up from that bug please contact Tech Support via the Help page.

Cheers!
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Assassin07 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:23 pm

lackattack wrote:Random Map is back online! :D

It will no longer select maps when there are more players than what the map allows.

If you have a game that got screwed up from that bug please contact Tech Support via the Help page.

Cheers!

Go lack
Thx,
-Assassin07
IF YOU JOIN MULTIPLE OF MY 2 PLAYER GAMES AND FIND YOURSELF FOED IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY I AM ON A MEDAL HUNT.
-ASSASSIN07
Cook Assassin07

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:33 pm

lackattack wrote:Random Map is back online! :D

Cheers!

While fixing issues, can new people select random maps? I know they cannot join some, but might they end up with them if they pick random? (just checking)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby scipioafricanus1 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:36 pm

How about a Random settings selection also? That way you won't know if you get fog or spoils etc.
Corporal 1st Class scipioafricanus1

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:53 pm

scipioafricanus1 wrote:How about a Random settings selection also? That way you won't know if you get fog or spoils etc.

I was just about to post this.

What needs to happen is that for all settings that are not selected, if a player hits randomize, all those settings are not revealed until the game starts.

If a player does not want speed games, then they pick CASUAL and the game is randomized for all other settings but Speed.
Major WidowMakers

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:14 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
scipioafricanus1 wrote:How about a Random settings selection also? That way you won't know if you get fog or spoils etc.

What needs to happen is that for all settings that are not selected, if a player hits randomize, all those settings are not revealed until the game starts.

If a player does not want speed games, then they pick CASUAL and the game is randomized for all other settings but Speed.

so, everything you leave blank is randomized.
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:58 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

so, everything you leave blank is randomized.

I would think speed games should be excluded from this. There is too much a chance of someone forgetting to click "casual" OR forgetting to see if "casual" had been checked and then winding up with a game that began and ended before they even realized.

I am similarly nervous about freestyle versus Sequential, mostly because it is really important to know exactly when a game is starting in freestyle. This would give the last person or so to join a real advantage. IF this is a random option, I would prefer that the default would be "sequential" and that "either" would be another option, one you would have to actively pick. (more like current start game settings and not blank like in Game Finder)

It might also be nice to specify teams or no teams. On this I am more ambivalent. I said before that I wanted to seen an option for randomized teams period. However, it is one thing to play a game that might be Assassin or Terminator and something else to find you are teamed up with someone who may or may not even like teams. I can see a lot of people not wanting cooks to play Random, etc because of this.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby pimphawks70 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:27 pm

How long will it be before people start claiming "Random Map isn't really random".
Brigadier pimphawks70

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:40 pm

It should randomize these variables
    -Number of Players
    -Game Type
    -Map
    -Play Order
    -Spoils
    -Reinforcements
    -Fog of War

it would then be truly random and serve its purpose. By eliminating speed, there are no issues with people getting kicked out due to timing.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 pm

zeractal wrote:Don't have it so you can chose specific maps to disable or the people who "really" must have points will disable all bar the one they play.

No they won't. If they were going to do that, they simply wouldn't select "random". It's quite logical, really.

zeractal wrote:or someone like Kind Herpes might use it instead of setting up city mogul freestyle because lets face it nobody would be as foolish as to join those games (he hasn't already foed).

If King Herpes set up a sequential random game, I'd be the first one to join. In a heartbeat.

zeractal wrote:it would make nobody want to play random and defy the point

Not at all.

WidowMakers wrote:It should randomize these variables
    -Number of Players
    -Game Type
    -Map
    -Play Order
    -Spoils
    -Reinforcements
    -Fog of War

I agree, as long as it's not ALL of those randomized by default. In other words, we should be able to selectively randomize those particular items we'd like to be randomized.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Gamefreakguy on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Number of players random? That might be... awkward... and not really what I'd like to randomize in my games, but maybe some others do.

If we're randomizing game type, there should be an option for "Random Solo Setting" and "Random Team Setting." Mixing random teams with standard/term/assassin would be a bad choice in my opinion.

I agree though that Map, Spoils, Reinforcements, and Fog of War would be very fun when randomized.
"Never let your fear decide your fate."
"He who controls others may be powerful but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." Lao Tzu
Major Gamefreakguy

Postby cramill on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:14 am

pimphawks70 wrote:How long will it be before people start claiming "Random Map isn't really random".

lol :lol:
Corporal 1st Class cramill

Postby thetheo on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:13 am

How do u join a random game????
highest score: 1145
highest place: 9225th/21550
Private 1st Class thetheo

Postby firsal901 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:38 am

1. cool :) :) :) :) :)
2.what is the map selection based on???