Conquer Club

The Foundry Newsletter: 21st Issue

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The Foundry Newsletter: 21st Issue

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:57 pm

Greetings,

It's been a year since we started off this lovely publication for the informing of the wider CC about the goings-on in the Foundry, keeping them abreast of what maps are on the horizon, and of course giving them an opportunity to affect the maps that they will play on. I'd say that's the biggest attraction to the Foundry for me, you really do make a difference. How many other things do you know of that you can point at and say "I had an effect on that, and here's where?" And how about on the scale that the Foundry and CC offer? That's pretty awesome.

On a slightly more downer note, we tried to feature a lot of things in a "1 year retrospective" sort of light, and on a lot of our community participating things, nobody replied. Community Perspective was going to feature any people's two cents about the past year in the Foundry, even if they haven't been around for a year. We have nothing to show for it. WCA's Tablet was going to pay homage to the hilarious funny maps by encouraging the community to intentionally create bad maps. He got no submissions. The lack of participating is utterly killing our motivation to do the newsletter, folks. I and the rest of the staff sometimes feel we're speaking to an empty void, spending hours for no real purpose. I know, I know, you love the Newsletter, love reading it and think we're doing good work. But when we seek input and get not even a one-liner, it's rather disappointing.

On a final downer, InkL0sed is leaving his position at proofreader after a year, and layout editor after 6 months of service. We wish him the best, but that leaves us with two positions open that need filling! Please PM TaCktiX if you have interest in filling either of these positions.

Aside from that, we've got a fairly full issue, with some new banners by pikkio of Oceania fame, A Look Back at the very 1st Foundry Newsletter, an Editorial from Gimil about his time as C.A., and a Spotlight on the map Monsters by dolomite13. Feel free to peruse and enjoy the 21st Issue, the 1st Anniversary Issue.

Cheers,
TaCktiX
Senior Editor

In this section we cover every map presently in development. Each map is accompanied by a brief description of the map's theme, graphics, and gameplay, as well as what's been happening in the last couple of weeks. Finally, a link to each topic, the map's creator(s), and what stamps it presently has are noted.
    show

show

show

show

In the Editorial, we ask a member of the Conquer Club community to write about some aspect of the Foundry. Subjects thus far have ranged from first-timer perspectives to a fictional look at future mapmaking, with plenty in between. Anyone interested in writing an Editorial is asked to PM TaCktiX about it.

This issue, former contributor and moderator gimil writes the editorial.
show

In celebration of the 1st year anniversary, I'd like to take you back to a year ago, to our very first issue. It's been redone to be on a nice PDF, with a few extra tidbits on the side. If you like that look, let me know so I can try to do future issues in PDF form in addition to our normal forum presence.

Link (2MB)

In the Spotlight, we typically cover a staff-selected map and mapmaker in an interview. Mapmaker motivations, inspirations, and the like have been covered, with plenty of surprises in between.

This issue we spotlight Monsters made by dolomite13.
show

Ok everyone....
show

Subscription

Enjoy this week's issue? Haven't signed up yet?

Then feel free to subscribe to the newsletter by sending a PM with your name to the Newsletter's senior editor, TaCktiX (clicky). By subscribing you will receive every new issue of the Newsletter straight into your inbox, keeping you up to date with all the new latest developments in the Foundry.

Wrap up

We would like to thank you all for taking the time to read and enjoy our newsletter.
See you next time!

InkL0sed - Formatting Editor, Proofreading Editor
sailorseal - Spotlight Editor, Maps in Development Editor
pikkio - Graphics
TaCktiX - Senior Editor, Editorial Editor, Perspectives Editor, Maps In Development Editor, A Look Back Editor
wcaclimbing - Graphics, WCA's Tablet
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Re: The Foundry Newsletter: 21st Issue

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:46 pm

this is a really depressing issue of the newsletter...
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby sailorseal on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:14 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:this is a really depressing issue of the newsletter...

I hope the tag on the home page says

Foundry Newsletter Issue 21: The Big Downer
Cook sailorseal

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 am

Sort of weird being spotlighted in an issue with some down notes :|
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Fireside Poet on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Click this logo for more information on joining!
Major Fireside Poet

Postby RjBeals on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:54 pm

good read. I always look forward to the newsletter. you guys really put a lot of effort into this. Thanks. And WCA - I think the theme was too broad this week. Nobody was going to take the the time to think of a funny map, then create the whole thing, just to appear as a blurb in this newsletter - way too much effort.

You should have simpler tasks for people, like "create a unique mountain range", or "create 10 of the smallest territories you can, with legible names & borders", or "trace & paint this object using only vector software" or "create a unique isometric forest range"....
Private RjBeals

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:41 pm

C'mon people!

Chin up!
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:45 am

I assume that Inklosed didn't proofread Gimil's bit!?!?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 am

you may want to change the discription of new zealand, as we have gotten rid of the outer islands. :D
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby mibi on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:28 am

gah... that newsletter is kind of ... sad.

sound's like the party's over :(
Captain mibi

Postby GENERAL STONEHAM on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Why would anyone want to read the drivel of someone who's about to cry?

Toughen up and write with more creativity and humor. Instead, you write like someone who's about to eat a bullet.
Sergeant 1st Class GENERAL STONEHAM

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:33 am

yeah, a little sad.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby bryguy on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 pm

I've always enjoyed reading the Newsletter, but this ones a bit depressing...

@-->Wca

I've always enjoyed reading your tablet. I would have submitted something, but as Rj said, it was just to wide of a range of things to do, so I never got around to doing it...

Overall this is a very fine (If depressing...) issue =D>
Corporal bryguy

Postby musteriuz on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:09 am

So what's wrong with a bit of bad news now and then? People buy newspapers everyday just so they can get lots of it. Life has sunshine and rain after all...
Highest score: 2159 Highest rank: 486
(How are the mighty fallen)
[Tourney achievements are on my wall]
Sergeant 1st Class musteriuz

Postby sailorseal on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:51 am

yeti_c wrote:I assume that Inklosed didn't proofread Gimil's bit!?!?

C.

It wouldn't be a piece by gimil if he had
Cook sailorseal

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:53 pm

TaCktiX wrote:On a slightly more downer note, we tried to feature a lot of things in a "1 year retrospective" sort of light, and on a lot of our community participating things, nobody replied.

sad, but not shocking or unbelievable... as witnessed in a thread for another newsletter, when the broader CC community was asked what was wrong with the foundry, every opinion was met with stiff resistance and a counter as to how that opinion was wrong.. and now, you read this newsletter, and it seems as if there really is something wrong with the foundry, in terms of participation. so, although this is sad, i am not at all shocked by this. and yes, i am still poking about the foundry, enjoying threads and trying to understand how it all works a little better... anyway, what a sad opener...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:17 pm

sailorseal wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I assume that Inklosed didn't proofread Gimil's bit!?!?

C.

It wouldn't be a piece by gimil if he had

Uh...what? By that logic, no newspaper column is every anyone's but the editor's...that doesn't make sense.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 am

It's a joke … gimil's spelling and grammar is notoriously bad :P

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Return to Foundry Discussions