Conquer Club

Map Incubator Experiment (Failed)

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map Incubator Experiment (Failed)

Postby oaktown on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:11 pm

I've been saying that gimil and I were kicking around an idea that we wanted to try out, and here it is.

Whereas: Division of labor in the Foundry does not address all mapmaker needs...
While the system that we currently have - staff responsible for stamps representing different stages of map development - is logical and easy to understand, it does not address the problem of maps going through long stretches of their development with little/no feedback. It is not the responsibility of the stampers to drive production of the map, nor should it be. Mapmakers would benefit from a system in which specific members of the community are committed to assisting and giving feedback on the production of specific maps.

Whereas: Division of the Foundry into multiple mini-foundries would be contentious...
The notion of breaking the Foundry into smaller, more intimate working groups has been suggested, but we feel it would lead to making the Foundry even more fractured and factious than it is now. Cries of inequity would be raised across the community.

Whereas: Novice mapmakers feel a lack of support...
A first time mapmaker with limited Foundry experience can find the Foundry experience frustrating and overwhelming. New projects are often ignored, overlooked, or harshly criticized. New mapmakers have nobody to turn to for support.

Gimil and oaktown propose the creation of a map incubation group.
A team of about eight members, with a balance of foundry regulars and those with little or no Foundry experience, will closely follow the development of a select group of three or four maps (to be determined) from start to finish. Each member will be responsible for following each map thread and leaving regular and constructive feedback. It will be the role of the members to help guide the mapmaker toward achieving their next stamp, though the job of stamping the map will remain in the hands of the CAs and Foundry Assistants. We aren't trying to replace anyone or rewrite foundry policy, just to add a support structure to the mapmaking process.

Membership will be on a volunteer basis and overseen by the incubation group founders. If a member is unable to perform his duties, a replacement will be found. The individuals making these maps will not be counted among the recognized members of this group, but will be encouraged to follow the development of the other maps in the incubator.

As this is a new idea, we aren't sure how it will go and we'll probably hit some snags along the way. An expectation is that team members will discuss the process as we go, and consider changes that could facilitate future group work. If this incubator group proves popular and successful we will encourage and assist in the creation of future groups.

If you are interested in taking part in the team please post here in this thread, and tell us in twenty words or less what you bring to the table. We will also be soliciting participation outside the Foundry. Keep in mind that gimil and I will be picking a very small group to begin with, and we will be trying to bring in a cross section of CC users that have different ranks, amount of experience, and foundry background (or lack there of).
Last edited by oaktown on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain oaktown

Re: Map Incubator Experiment

Postby Danyael on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:23 pm

I think this would be a good experiment to see happen and partake in
having a dedicated group of people focused on certain maps would improve the foundry in many way
as a very colourblind member and graphically able person with mainly adobe programs
i think i could help

i hope this spans out nicely
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby jpcloet on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:31 pm

jpcloet wrote:Not a Foundry Regular
Innovative
Advises in many CC areas
Graphic Editor - Over 200 signatures created
Disappointed Mapmakers Guild Member

Overall, I can count to 20!
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:53 pm

This will work with the current system, not replace it, right? If I'm not in the group I can still post and comment on whatever maps I want, right?
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby oaktown on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:55 pm

captainwalrus wrote:This will work with the current system, not replace it, right? If I'm not in the group I can still post and comment on whatever maps I want, right?

right on both counts... if you're not in the group nothing changes. Hell, if you are in the group nothing change except that you've made a commitment to help a couple of specific maps.
Captain oaktown

Postby Premier2k on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:34 am

This sounds like just what we need!

[Twenty words...hmmmm....]
I bring experience as a new map-maker learning the process for the first time and moving through the foundry.

Premier2k
Last edited by Premier2k on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet Premier2k

Postby sailorseal on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:11 am

Hi my name is sailorseal (That's like 5 words already)
I already spend a lot of time here in the Foundry but could use a purpose. (Alright that's like 16)
I feel I am right in the middle of the group you said you wanted.

Well for starters I am making this post at 2:00 AM, I might just be flailing on the keyboard in some weird dream. :lol:
I think that I would bring to the table motivation and understanding. O:)
I also have recently found a bunch of extra energy that I could devote to giving feedback.
Thanks
Cook sailorseal

Postby sailorseal on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:12 am

Also for the record, I came to this thread imagining a proposal for a Egg Incubator Map, posted in ideas! :lol: :lol:
Cook sailorseal

Postby bryguy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:44 am

sailorseal wrote:Also for the record, I came to this thread imagining a proposal for a Egg Incubator Map, posted in ideas! :lol: :lol:

So did I :lol:

Anyways

I think that this is a good idea, and should in the long run help out greatly with the foundry (:

20 Words eh? I think I can manage that.

Hello people of the Map Foundry, My name is Bryguy. I'm not always a foundry regular, due to the fact that if a map doesn't catch my interest, I usually won't comment on it. I have been working on graphics for 4 years now, but only the last 2 have shown any improvement. I enjoy giving criticism to graphics, and while most graphics that I have been commenting on lately are not those that are found in the foundry, I am sure that I can change my commenting style to fit for maps. One thing that I may have that other members may not is that I have been using GIMP for over a year now, and I have learnt to use it well, sometimes being able to make things just as well as if it were made in photoshop.

lol I think thats 139 words :D
Corporal bryguy

Postby oaktown on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:09 am

really, is it so hard to be brief? For example:

I've been around 3 years, made ten maps or so, of relatively high rank, CA for a year, post regularly.
=D>
Captain oaktown

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Now, the trick is to get some of those General Discussion user and players that mostly play games outside of the forums.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:24 pm

foundry regular for a while, and mrbenn and andydufrense have pm'ed me thanking my continued support of the map foundry

20 words. plus that last snippet should count for something extra.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby lokisgal on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Id like to help - played all maps in here which I think would be helpful . And I don't bite :shock:
Lieutenant lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby lgoasklucyl on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:38 pm

lokisgal wrote:Id like to help - played all maps in here which I think would be helpful . And I don't bite :shock:

Psst.... She bites :shock:
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby s3xt0y on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:50 pm

ill throw my hat in the ring :)

s3x
Sergeant 1st Class s3xt0y

Postby Supreme_Pookie on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi All:

I was invited here by oaktown.
He's just finished being eliminating me from his Indian Empire map.
It looks like he may even get his fist win in this one.

I'm really intersted in this experiment. Please count me in!
Sergeant 1st Class Supreme_Pookie

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Thumbs up for in-game advertising to your opponents. ;) Keep that up.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby bryguy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:32 pm

oaktown wrote:really, is it so hard to be brief? For example:

I've been around 3 years, made ten maps or so, of relatively high rank, CA for a year, post regularly.
=D>

OH I missed the fact that you wanted it brief... may bad! lol

Been doing digital art for about 4 years, know how to give graphics criticism.

Brief enough?
Corporal bryguy

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:23 pm

I am mostly available for questions for those who work with Coreldraw, Fireworks...i only have Photoshop 6 and haven't used it much so...and still learning...
Limited time during uni semesters: Feb-June & Aug-Dec: but try to post regularly
Several Maps & Carto for several months...
Member since Feb 2007
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:41 am

I won't be able to devote enough time to joining this group.

But if anyone wants advice on making realistic terrain (see Oasis, Winter, and the terrain on the Crater map), feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to help out.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:57 am

I'm a Foundry Assistant, comment regularly, have had a map quenched, another in development, play all game styles, and I'll try to help out :)

(short enough? :P )

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby oaktown on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:14 pm

I'll just keep editing this post as a running list of volunteers. As I see it we have:

foundry regulars: oaktown, gimil, sailorseal, bryguy, whitestazn, lgoasklucyl, cairnswk, the.killing.44,

Less regular, but not exactly new either (fewer than 200 posts in the foundry): Danyeal, captainwalrus, Premier2K, Kotaro, Bruceswar

fresh faces (fewer than 30 foundry posts): lokisgal, s3xt0y, Supreme_Pookie, jpcloet, GrimReaper, hwhrhett

optimus prime and lancehoch expressed interest as well.

gimil and I will put our heads together and try to come up with a plan of attack.
Last edited by oaktown on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Captain oaktown

Postby Kotaro on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Damn you gimil.

Hi all, I'm Kotaro. I'm available
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Lieutenant Kotaro

Postby GrimReaper. on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:33 pm

ill do it...
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby oaktown on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:37 pm

and this just t in via PM...
hwhrhett wrote:i read your post in GD and id like to offer my assistance

if you need help, i would be a great volunteer, i have experience on almost all of the maps so far, and dont care about my rank. i like playing all the different game types and new things...

let me know!!
Captain oaktown

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions