Conquer Club

The Foundry Newsletter: 22nd Issue

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

The Foundry Newsletter: 22nd Issue

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:56 pm

Greetings,

And it's our first official issue on the Newsletter forum! The previous one released a week before the switchover, so go figure. In true Newsletter form, we're asking whether or not you think the switch was a good one and why. We'll post the results next issue. Also, a warm welcome to grayhawke, our new proofreading editor, and the.killing.44, our new layout editor. Thanks for stepping up! In more Foundry-related news, no new maps have released, but there's a massive amount of them in the main Foundry right now in development. Check out the hustle and bustle and find your favorites. We've also got WCA's latest challenge, this time simpler than a full-deal map. Andy brings us a well-written editorial, speaking of the latest debate about the Foundry's problems. Finally, a Spotlight about samuelc812's WWII: Poland.

And if you're wondering why the issue is a week late, I had a very nasty case of Airport Hell, arriving at my intended destination 2 days later than intended. Add to that the fact that the wifi at said airports wasn't free, and I wasn't online much.

Direct the hate mail to,
TaCktiX

In this section we cover every map presently in development. Each map is accompanied by a brief description of the map's theme, graphics, and gameplay, as well as what's been happening in the last couple of weeks. Finally, a link to each topic, the map's creator(s), and what stamps it presently has are noted.
    show

show

show

show

In the Editorial, we ask a member of the Conquer Club community to write about some aspect of the Foundry. Subjects thus far have ranged from first-timer perspectives to a fictional look at future mapmaking, with plenty in between. Anyone interested in writing an Editorial is asked to PM TaCktiX about it.

This issue, Foundry Foreman and admin AndyDufresne writes the editorial.
show

In the Spotlight, we typically cover a staff-selected map and mapmaker in an interview. Mapmaker motivations, inspirations, and the like have been covered, with plenty of surprises in between.
show

show

Subscription

Enjoy this week's issue? Haven't signed up yet?

Then feel free to subscribe to the newsletter by sending a PM with your name to the Newsletter's senior editor, TaCktiX (clicky). By subscribing you will receive every new issue of the Newsletter straight into your inbox, keeping you up to date with all the new latest developments in the Foundry.

Wrap up

We would like to thank you all for taking the time to read and enjoy our newsletter.
See you next time!

the.killing.44 - Formatting Editor
grayhawke - Proofreading Editor
sailorseal - Spotlight Editor
pikkio - Graphics
TaCktiX - Senior Editor, Editorial Editor, Perspectives Editor, Maps In Development Editor, A Look Back Editor
wcaclimbing - Graphics, WCA's Tablet
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Re: The Foundry Newsletter: 22nd Issue

Postby bryguy on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Great issue guys =D>
Corporal bryguy

Postby ppgangster on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:31 am

Good job!
Sergeant 1st Class ppgangster

Postby veronius on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:42 am

Very interesting (and yes - well written) editorial! It occurs to me that "non-survival-necessary thought" might, to paraphrase Marx, be described as "surplus consciousness." The kind of consciousness you can have only when the culture you're a part of has eliminated the concern for basic physical survival that dominates our lives at a more "primitive" level of development (I understand the word "primitive" is itself quite crude and inexact) - or has at least reduced it to a manageable level.

On the topic of interaction, and improving same, one golden rule is never, ever, EVER get angry with anyone for anything. And I'm not going to BS you and pretend I'm the perfect practitioner of this rule myself. Far from it. But human interaction through written words alone, although it has achieved stunningly beautiful levels of expression, is imperfect. Without the nuance of body language, tone of voice or facial expression, and against the flat, two-dimensional background of the Internet (not a comment on CC - I mean the Internet as a whole) words are forced to carry more than they really should. And so those contextual elements are supplied by the reader, who is acting on less information than he/she really needs to make an accurate interpretation. So a simple exchange all too easily spirals into confrontation, or a tossed-off phrase comes across as arrogant or uncaring, when that wasn't the intention in the first place.

I guess that's why we have smilies...

Now if someone's using 200 different synonyms for "courtesan" to describe your mother, then you're probably entitled to get a little brassed. But how often does that actually happen?

Anyway thanks for the bananas.
Lieutenant veronius

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Nice peice andy!
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Return to Newsletter Archives