Conquer Club

Issue #80 30/06/09

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Issue #80 30/06/09

Postby Gozar on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:13 pm

30/06/09

Happy Canada Day Canucks!
As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Image Newsletter Poll
Image Seeking Staff
Image Fact of the Week
Image Currently Taking Signups
ImageTournament Updates
ImageComing Soon
Image The Tournament Roll of Honuor
ImageInterview with MrBenn
ImageNext Issue
ImageNotes
ImageStaff

Our current poll is still running and asks: "Should certain tournament setups be allowed to bend/break CC rules? (ie secret diplomacy,etc)"
Please stop by the poll thread and vote.

News Hound - Our News Hounds need someone to join the pack! Have a nose for news? Enjoy journalistic writing? Like to do stuff for free? Then PM Gozar about this opportunity.

sailorseal is away. Fact of the Week returns in the future.

Here is a list of tournaments currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread. If you would like your tournament to be included, please PM jricart or Gozar or visit this thread.

1 vs 1 Tournaments

CONCACAF
Organiser: laxdudenick16
Number of Entrants: 35 players

English Permier League vs. Spanish Primera Liga
Organiser: vcvcb2
Number of Entrants: 40 players

WorldFitz 1v1 Tourney I
Organiser: AAFitz
Number of Entrants: 16 players

1v1 Doodle in a Doodle
Organiser: a.sub
Number of Entrants: 36 players

Standard Tournaments

The Five Elements - Shuffle (5ES)
Organiser: Kinnison
Looking for Reserves. First games going out 02 JUL 2009
5 divisions of 5. Scores earned by playing all 20 NON-Division opponents. Highest score per division advances to finals, where all competition is ONLY between the finalists. Home advantage even across 3, 4, and 5-player games. 7 or 8 games per week for 5 weeks.

5 Man Madness!
Organiser: Gilligan
Number of Entrants: 25 players

Cooks and Cadets Tournament I
Organiser: Hoagy

darkangelsguy205 age of reams 2
Organiser: darkangelsguy205
Number of Entrants: 20 players

Tournoi Franco de la St-Jean Baptiste!
Organiser: ppgangster

Mixed Style Tournaments
R.I.P. Michael Jackson 1959-2009
Organiser: Evil Crosby
Number of Entrants: 64 players

Countries of The World
Organiser: interest_games
Number of Entrants: 96 players

BYOR Dinner Date
Organiser: PaulusH
Number of Entrants: 25 players
Using a 5x5 windmill setup
Needs 5x5=25 individual players and some reserves each bringing a personal game setting

Cosa Nostra
Organiser: skepticCS
Number of Entrants: 32 players

Eddminator's AOR 666 Tournament phase 2
Organiser: eddie666
Number of Entrants: 40 players

World Regions
Organiser: Black Friday
Number of Entrants: 96 players

The Tournaments of tournaments tournament
Organiser: caymanmew
Number of Entrants: 252 players

Doubles Tournaments

Evil Crosby's Tournament of Champions
Organiser: Evil Crosby
Number of Entrants: 16 teams

1600+ doubles: special maps
Organiser: daydream
Number of Entrants: 20 teams

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter, and PM it to Gozar or post it in this thread.

The Five Elements
Organiser: Kinnison
Finals Division Underway - expect completion Mid/Late August '09
5x5 Divisional play, Hyper Round Robin (Home advantage GUARANTEED against every combination of 3, 4, and 5-player games within the division) over 10 weeks. Division winners repeat the format in the finals.

Isle Cruise using a 7x7 windmill setup
Organiser Name: PaulusH
Madagascar was not a success for everybody :lol:
Planned end date: 6 September

Mac Dinner Date using a 5x5 windmill setup
using a 5x5 windmill setup
The last car still can't find the way home; they are driving clearly more then 4 month now :sick:
Planned end date: 5 September

Double Iron Bar Using a 3x3 windmill setup
Using a 3x3 windmill setup
Ready to start with some good beer :P
Planned end date: 21 August

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
Round Fourteen is getting underway

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

K3 Factor from PaulusH
Using a 6x6 windmill setup
Needs 6x6=36 individual players and some reserves to play 9 triples games with mixing teams
Will be put on the create/join forum at 11 July

Coming Summer/Fall 2009 from the mind of barterer2002

3 For 4 (Teams of 4 playing triples in all combinations ABC, ABD, ACD, BCD)
Barts Modern Random Tournament
The Discovery Series: Cities of the World
The Championship Series:
The New Scooby Doo Tournaments
Sci Fi actors (featuring actors who have been characters on multiple Sci Fi series)
Down and Dirty VI
The Escalating Tournament II

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"2009 Skilled Versatility" -Blitzaholic, Osujacket, Dividedbyzero, Nephilim
"Conqueror of Conquerman" -BLITZAHOLIC AND BIG WHISKEY
"Fivemore's Wold 2.1 7Player" -TODRICH
"Championship Series: WWII Aredennes" -AndrewB
"Double Classic Art" -pzaviski2003 and HighlanderAttack
"Serbian Conquest" -freakns
"Mega Man" -Fireside Poet
"European Special Agent I" -wolf2606
"Trapped in the Myst: Gazala" -denominator
"Foundry Update Mini-sode I" -Tripitaka
"Championship Series: WWI Ottoman Empire" -Gilligan
"Around All CCs Maps: Egypt:Valley of the Kings" -DBandit70
"OHL Season 2" -keiths31
"North American Leader 2" -lagger-no-1 & Edd1
"b00060s Classic Shapes X" -trboye
"10 Years Later Fight Club" -nagerous
"Trans Atlantic Speed Cup" -jammyjames
"A Quick KO Round 4" -AeroMate
"2009 WSOPC Event 1: 6man Shootout" -cazmart
"Three Strikes And You're Out" -soccerghost
"Championship Series: WWII Australia" -DJ Teflon
"Mr Classic II" -b00060
"The Doodle Madness Tournament!" -danryan
"Musical Chairs: Euprean Tour" -pogophiles
"Map Quester 1" -Iron Maid
"Russian Spy" -MEK
"Prime's Power League" -e_i_pi
"PSychoBs I Suck at this Map 1"- PsychobCrazy
"Amazing Race 1- CC Style" -Dazoot & ralphcptc
"HAs Round Robin Series: Africa" -Iron Maid
"HAs Easter Tourney One" -Gunners101
"Celtic Warrior King" -Soldier4Christ
"Mr Classic III" -HighlanderAttack
"LxDS 16 Across" -lt.pie & e_i_pi

This week we had the opportunity to interview MrBenn. All questions were submitted by readers of the newsletter. Next week, we check in once again with, barterer2002.
You can submit your questions in this thread.

Now, on with the interview!

Q: Hello, MrBenn.

A: Greetings from the Foundry Underground ;-)

Q: What makes you interview worthy?

A: In the words of Wayne and Garth, "We're not worthy!"

Q: How did you find this website?

A: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=online+risk

Q: Why did you join CC?

A: I joined to play, and upgraded to premium as I got hooked ;-)

Q: Whats your motivation (or why do you like) to play on CC?

A: Its closer to the truth to say I can't get enough, you know... I'm gonna have to face it I'm addicted...

Q: Tournaments? Tournaments? How could you, my Foundry Brother? ;)
I had no idea you were involved in Tournaments. What do you enjoy about Tournaments the most?

A: There have been a couple of tournaments that I found nailbiting - it's a different kind of thrill from single games. I enjoy the different strategies that you develop as you play a series of games with the same players, for example; in some tournaments, winning isn't everything, so it's not always over when you get hated on by the dice ;-)

Q: Why did you start to play tournaments?

A: I was looking for something new in my CC experience, and was hoping to get to know a couple more people... It had been a couple of months since I'd joined and didn;t really know that many people around the place.

Q: What made you want to try running a tournament?

A: I'd played in a couple of tournaments, and had been idly thinking about some ideas in my head when the medals were introduced. I didn't think it could be too difficult, and plunged right in, with some vague notion that I could work towards a doubles medal.

Q: Describe the experience of the first tournament you played in, and the first one you organized.

A: I have fond memories of The Mod Wars... The first round of games was really close, and I still remember making a risky gambit to take out yeti_c and secure my place in the second round. I almost made it through a three-man-tie in the second round, and almost pulled off a coup d'état, but got knocked out on goal difference... it was a great introduction to the world of tournaments 8-)
Mixed-Up Doubles turned into an organisational headache, as I had to get people to join games in order. The choose-a-team-to-join update was introduced before the final round of games, but it didn't stop somebody joining the wrong team :lol: By the time the final games were over, two players were tied for first place, and I was almost embarrassed to have to announce myself as winner on the count-back :lol:

Q: Tell us about your overall tournament experience from when you first joined a tournament to the present day. How has it changed for you? Is it a better experience than before? Worse?

A: At one point I went into a tournament-joining frenzy, and a couple of weeks later got completely snowed under with games! Since then I've learned to show a bit more discretion about the tournaments I join, and consequently enjoy them a bit more. I've got a good selection of regular teammates, and have had some good results in some team-tournaments too - but no other tournament wins yet :P

Q: What tournaments have you organized?

A: Despite having several ideas, I've only got around to organising the one tournament so far... I probably would have put some more up, but I was kidnapped by the Foundry before I got too stuck in :-s

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in? Why?

A: Absolute favourite has to be Mod Wars, which I've already mentioned. I had a good run in the Foundry Update tournament with Wales, Eastern Hemisphere and San Marino, only to get knocked out in the final. I somehow made it the the final of Dragon King of Wales, but don't ever remember killing anybody in the process :?

Q: Do you prefer to run or enter tournaments?

A: At the moment I'm finding it easier to enter them - but I have a couple of ideas up my sleeves :-$

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why? Is there a format that is your favourite? What about other peoples' tournaments?

A: I'm not a big fan of 1v1 games, so try and avoid them where possible. I think I prefer tournaments that give you (or your team) the chance to show your worth against the same group of people, or on a particular map. I'm slightly more cautious about the settings used in a tournament too, and try and pick things that I stand a chance of doing well in.

Q:Are you selective about which types of tournaments you join or do you join just about everything you can fit into your personal game load? If you are selective, do you look for certain styles or organizers?

A: Other than game settings, I'm fairly indiscriminate.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A: I currently have active games in five different tournaments, and have just signed up for one or two more. Other games are usually clan or team games that are arranged whenever a team is online, or picked at random from maps/settings as I work towards more medals.

Q: What sort of tournaments would you like to see more of on CC? What ones would you participate in?

A: One of the best things about CC is the variety it offers to its users - be it maps or tournaments. I'd like to see more tournaments based around maps in development, or more maps designed with tournaments in mind (like WidowMakers' USA 6-pack)

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: My first game was on British Isles (the old one), and despite not winning it, I came out ahead on points. My first outright win was on Berlin 1961 - probably one of the reasons it's one of my favourite maps ;-)

Q: Of your goals, in regards to CC, have you gotten done you've wanted to achieve?

A: In the middle of last year, I was feeling like I'd lost a certain 'Je ne sais quoi'. My rank was floating at the Sgt level, and I was determined to improve it. I was immensely pleased when I first made Captain, and jokingly suggested that my next goal was to make Major by Christmas - and was delighted to (just) make it! The next thing on my list of goals is to ugrade some of my bronze medals... I'm not too far off a silver terminator one, but speed and assassin are going to take some hard work :x

Q: If you had to win one tournament that you are currently a part of which would it be and why?

A: Of the 5 I'm in, I definitely cannot win two of them - which leaves Triples Double Elimination or Psycho B's Quad War. Either of those would be nice wins for the team ;-)

Q: What the most fun tournament you have played in?

A: The Mod Wars (see above); but The Olympics was good too.

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A: The Final of Foundry Update 10. The dice didn't give me a chance 8-[

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A: Friendly banter in-game, and regular updates from the organiser.

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A: The massive tournaments that engage a lot of the community are good; but I imagine they're a total pain to organise :P

Q: What makes a successful organizer?

A: Dedication, and timely responses to PMs.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A: People who join the wrong team; Premiums who turn freemium :-$

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A: I've seen people send out the wrong game numbers; but mistakes are fairly easy to make - we're only human after all.

Q: What is your opinion on organizer neutrality? Should organizers be allowed to place themselves against their own clanmates in tournaments? Should organizers be allowed to join their own tournaments at all?

A: No comment :|

Q: Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A: It depends on the tournament... I don't think I would want to prevent people from taking part, but would rather people were encouraged to get an idea what they are letting themselves in for before signing up for the long haul. We were all n00bs once :)

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: I'd bring back cutesy club, and those pink fluffy dice :lol:

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: I know (hope) there's some things in the pipeline - and that's all I have to say about that.

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: I don't think they need encouraging - there's more tournaments on the go than ever before :lol:

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A: 1.Joining too many at a time; 2.Not being able to work out who has won a round/tournament etc.; 3.Waiting for other people to join games; 4. Playing on a map you've never played before, and making stupid mistakes; 5.Not winning enough.

Q: When did you become a Cartography Assistant?

A: September 2008

Q: Why are most of the CA's a British Invasion? (You, Gimil (now retired), Ian)

A: All the best things are British :P

Q: Do you think there could ever be too many maps? Other than a few differences in gameplay, they are just background images to put numbers on after all.

A: Variety is the spice of life! I don't think we'll ever stop producing maps, although I wish they were better displayed/organised on the site.

Q: In the future, do you think animated maps with changeable attack routes could ever exist? Eg boats you could load and sail, ferris wheels you could turn to connect things and thus make attacks.

A: There's lots of new features I'd like to see; and I have seen plenty of suggestions that could blow the CC-gaming-experience to a whole new stratosphere. If lack wants it, it will come ;-)

Q: How much time does CC take from your day?

A: Too much :roll:

Q: Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A: Yes.

Q: Why did you pick the name MrBenn?

A: MrBenn... It's a long story, involving croissants and a toaster.

Q: How many hats like the one in your avatar do you really have?

A: One for every day of the week. I have a matching umbrella lying around somewhere too...

Q: Where are you from?

A: The South Coast of England.

Q: Favourite play colour?

A: Blue or Red

Q: Favourite and least favourite map?

A: Midgard is amongst the most stunning, and I've had most success from Age of Merchants... there are just too many good maps to pick a favourite. Least favourite map - I don't have enough patience for uber-complicated/confusing maps, of which there are plenty around the B's (Bamboo Jack, Battle for Iraq, Battle of Actium). I think Poison Rome is the worst thing to escape the foundry for some time.

Q: Favourite settings?

A: Sequential, Escalating, Chained, Sunny.

Q: Freestyle or sequential?

A: Until the double-turns loophole is closed, sequential all the way.

Q: Tournaments or Maps?

A: Both... Bespoke maps for tournaments ;-)

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: When England hits Final Forge, I've got plans for a 'British Battles' series. I'd also like to extend the mixed-up doubles idea to feature more players, or to extend it to triples too.

Q:How does it feel to be interviewed?

A: It's exhausting. I can't believe I haven't finished yet.... I almost feel like I could have made a map in this time ;)

Q: Any parting shots?

A: I should kill thee with much cherishing. Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Q: How do you feel after answering all of these questions?

A: Is this a dagger which I see before me? The handle toward my hand?

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: I can no other answer make, but, thanks, and thanks.

Interview With barterer2002

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form or visit this thread!:

----------------FORM-------------------
Status of tournament
Tournament Name(with link please)
Organiser: [Your name with 'player' tag]
Brief Description
(If recruiting) Approx. number of players needed
(If Ongoing) Approx. number of games remaining/percentage complete
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Graphics- Sir. Ricco/samuelc812
News Hound-blacky44 and sailorseal
Ask the Nutts- David Hoekstra
Fun Facts-sailorseal
Currently Taking Signups-jricart
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Re: Issue #80 30/06/09

Postby ender516 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks for the shout-out to the land of the Maple Leaf!
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Re: Issue #80 30/06/09

Postby pela666 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:53 am

Just so I'm clear about this..
So today is free headhunt for all Canadians on CC maps?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.s go go go Canadians, and your great Swedish hockey players ;)
I love the name of honor, more than I fear death. -JC
The Real Bastard from Sweden!
I Just Didn't Come in Last
Lieutenant pela666

Return to Newsletter Archives