Conquer Club

Chicago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Chicago-- Updated V2 [Pg 2]

Postby laddida on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:39 pm

lookin better each time :) blackhawks play in united center with bulls by the way but thats moot point since stadiums will not be a part of map anyways.
General laddida

Re: Chicago-- Updated V2 [Pg 2]

Postby Scott-Land on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Downtown station adjusted...

Guess there's no way to shrink the mini map without getting distorted? Can't imagine everyone drawing it over again but I guess that's the only way?
Major Scott-Land

Re: Chicago-- Updated V2.1 [Pg 2]

Postby mibi on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:52 pm

lake Mich is still flat and ugly. Throw a nice soothing gradient in there. The rest of the map is a texture bonanza, let the eye rest somewhere.
Captain mibi

Postby Tisha on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:37 pm

mibi wrote:lake Mich is still flat and ugly. Throw a nice soothing gradient in there. The rest of the map is a texture bonanza, let the eye rest somewhere.

can you give an example? because there isn't much difference between flat and soothing and restful to me..
Major Tisha

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:06 pm

Looks really great Scott :)

Just a quick thought ā€” a broader one really, I'll post specifics sometime ;) ā€” the entire left side seems to be waste space. If you'd move the train up a bit, the title to fit that little nook the train is in now, and the information at the bottom to the right, it would chop a lot off the left and make the whole map much moreā€¦together.

Also, the background, while really nice and I love the image, brings one's attention too much to it and away from the map. You should either lower the opacity or do something to cover it up more or make the map itself stand out from the background more ā€” or even both ;) . Some drop shadow, a dark outer glow, or an image of the surrounding area outside Chicago would look really sweet.

I'll be back for another look but I gotta say, well done on this, looks really great! =D>
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby mibi on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:48 pm

Tisha wrote:
mibi wrote:lake Mich is still flat and ugly. Throw a nice soothing gradient in there. The rest of the map is a texture bonanza, let the eye rest somewhere.

can you give an example? because there isn't much difference between flat and soothing and restful to me..

Here you are. When the entire map, while looking cool, but is entirely filled with art, textures, filters, etc, the eye needs some space to rest and to give the image some balance. Something like this does that for me.

Click image to enlarge.
Captain mibi

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:47 pm

mibi wrote:
Tisha wrote:

Here you are. When the entire map, while looking cool, but is entirely filled with art, textures, filters, etc, the eye needs some space to rest and to give the image some balance. Something like this does that for me.

Click image to enlarge.

word
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby azezzo on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:15 am

those train lines are not Metra lines, rather they belong to the CTA.
the Metra is a different entity and runs on different tracks, goes to different locations, pretty much a suburban train line that does come into chicago. The "el" is the elevated tracks for the cta

oh, and i liked the old trees, but realize you cant make every one happy. :D
Captain azezzo

Postby Scott-Land on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:28 am

azezzo wrote:those train lines are not Metra lines, rather they belong to the CTA.
the Metra is a different entity and runs on different tracks, goes to different locations, pretty much a suburban train line that does come into chicago. The "el" is the elevated tracks for the cta

oh, and i liked the old trees, but realize you cant make every one happy. :D

CTA runs the rail lines in Chicago...... it's just elevated in the downtown area- no ? Called "L, El" as slang because it runs above the streets .?
Major Scott-Land

Re: Chicago--

Postby Scott-Land on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:43 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:
The hole between norwood and dunning... what is that? Inconsequential, but just curious.

It's Norridge and Harwood Heights --- inside Chicago but technically not Chicago nor part of city limits.

*Mini- map still needs to be cleaned up. I just threw in the bonus colors for reference.
Changed texture of Lake Michigan and rail legend. Also Bonus colors.

Click image to enlarge.
Major Scott-Land

Re: Chicago-- Updated 07/01 Version 3 [Pg 3]

Postby Risky_Stud on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:12 am

NIcely done Scott!

But where's Michael? :lol:
Private 1st Class Risky_Stud

Postby Scott-Land on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:40 am

Risky_Stud wrote:NIcely done Scott!

Hehee-- prolly should've kept him. :D
Major Scott-Land

Postby Wolffystyle on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:14 pm

Scott-Land wrote:CTA runs the rail lines in Chicago...... it's just elevated in the downtown area- no ? Called "L, El" as slang because it runs above the streets .?

Uh, I don't think the Chicago Transit Authority runs Metra, and maybe if they do at some administrative level, most Chicagoans (myself included) consider the two to be separate systems.
Brigadier Wolffystyle

Postby Wolffystyle on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Game Play comments:
    I am having a hard time initially seeing what borders what near the loop with the El tracks above the borders. Chance to make the Orange loop more realistic and a little wider so as to view the borders in the middle there?

Same goes for the south side. What territory does the little area to east of lake calumet belong to? if it's south deering can you put the white circle right on the river there?

Could there be a bonus for holding both airports? I'm not even sure if this is good advice. Probably not since each is already part of the El bonus. I answered my own question.

Is norridge a territory?, there's no white circle. I don't even think it should be labeled. Screw all those who don't know its not part of chicago. The city label makes it more confusing than if it were simply unlabeled.

Glad you took joliet out.

Can Indiana be a territory that gives -1 troop? Just kidding, but not really, Indiana smells like shit.

Foundry Comments:
    Yea, that Metra train looks awesome, but, you don't have any metra lines on this map. Keep the el lines, they're much better, and I need the blue one to get to the loop.

I assume back of the yards doesn't border near west side (my home) so you may want to cover the upper corner of back of the yards with more trees.

You need to take that white line out to the east of norwood park above the river, that will help avoid confusion as to whether or not there is a territory up there.

Can I play this soon?

Wolffy
Brigadier Wolffystyle

Postby Risky_Stud on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Scott-Land wrote:

I was thinkin a shaded outine of him jumpin the train to the left.

Postby Risky_Stud on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:16 pm

i don't know where it is, but a small picture of soldier field would look kinda cool on the map it self.
just my opinion though. :D

Postby Scott-Land on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:28 am

Wolffystyle wrote:
Scott-Land wrote:CTA runs the rail lines in Chicago...... it's just elevated in the downtown area- no ? Called "L, El" as slang because it runs above the streets .?

Uh, I don't think the Chicago Transit Authority runs Metra, and maybe if they do at some administrative level, most Chicagoans (myself included) consider the two to be separate systems.

They are two different rail systems-- both run by CTA. Prolly where I got confused. I lived in North Loop for awhile and never took the rail out of the city. And I eat ketchup on my hot dog and order thin crust pizza.... :lol:

Wolffystyle wrote:Game Play comments:
    I am having a hard time initially seeing what borders what near the loop with the El tracks above the borders. Chance to make the Orange loop more realistic and a little wider so as to view the borders in the middle there?

I was going to have a small view window of the loop station without the rails. Something like a magnifying glass but no magnifying.

Wolffystyle wrote:Same goes for the south side. What territory does the little area to east of lake calumet belong to? if it's south deering can you put the white circle right on the river there?

The north side of the territory doesn't come into play as it has 2 impassables. I had outlined the lake that allowed to see the territory division better but someone posted earlier to remove it so I did.

Wolffystyle wrote:Is norridge a territory?, there's no white circle. I don't even think it should be labeled. Screw all those who don't know its not part of chicago. The city label makes it more confusing than if it were simply unlabeled.

Glad you took joliet out.

Again I had it unmarked then went back and labeled it. Totally agree that it's better without.

Wolffystyle wrote:Foundry Comments:
    Yea, that Metra train looks awesome, but, you don't have any metra lines on this map. Keep the el lines, they're much better, and I need the blue one to get to the loop.

I assume back of the yards doesn't border near west side (my home) so you may want to cover the upper corner of back of the yards with more trees.

Can I play this soon?

Wolffy

Back of the Yards is not accessible from West Side. It's actually adjacent to Bridgeport but that was one of the terrs I decided not to use.

Thanks for all the feedback Wolffy--
Major Scott-Land

Postby Scott-Land on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:30 am

Risky_Stud wrote:
Scott-Land wrote:

I was thinkin a shaded outine of him jumpin the train to the left.

Not sure if I can work it in... originally I had the mj logo shadowed on the Sear's Tower. Well I just found out I don't have a train for him to jump anymore. :lol:
Major Scott-Land

Postby Scott-Land on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:33 pm

Changed quite a bit because I had taken out the Metra train.

Click image to enlarge.
Major Scott-Land

Re: Chicago-- [ NEW ] Version 4--Pg 3

Postby Wolffystyle on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:08 am

Let me be the first to congratulate you on this new version of the map. Well done.

I also put ketchup on my hot dogs.
Brigadier Wolffystyle

Postby luxCRUSADER on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 pm

I love the forest ! As an avid camper, the THREE tone trees is reflection of the author's ability to grab the viewers attention to beauty ... AMAZING JOB !!!!!
I love the rail connections, as it relates to gameplay balance !
I love the Chicago Imagery with the train, and the building- and its actually the building that compelled me to type today at your site- when I don't really have the time, cuz of the many errands in front of me; but like I said this a DAMN GOOD MAP from a gamers point of view ... the art compels me to stare !!! the Chicago map itself makes it easy to see the choke points.. and then I am left drooling over my keyboard demanding to start a game NOW !!! :evil:

I hope you'll be alright with the copyright to "Chicago Transit Authority"- looks like you'll be OK- as long as your not affiliated with it in any way ;)

What type of connection is that black and gray symbol between 'WEST PULLMAN' and 'SOUTH DEERING' ? I'm guessing its a bridge ?

And before I depart, I'm thinking you have already done this... but you might want to experiment with blending the opacity down as the eyes move from the main art work imagery of building and train as it approaches the map proper area ??? In either event that side is a little dark ... Quite Frankly, I don't know if that would improve things ... not sure...but what I am sure about is that this map is going all the way !!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY ON IT !!!

Good Job !- NO: ... GREAT JOB !!!!!!!! =D>
closing down my Conquer Club account due to the WAY 2 RANDOM dice that Conquer Club contracts to 'random.org' :) "I'm done" ! gonna play here: http://sillysoft.net/lux/
Sergeant 1st Class luxCRUSADER

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:13 pm

write that the train stations attack adjacent train stations, otherwise the way its worded now is that you can attack any train station.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:15 pm

It seems like there is way too much deadspace on the map, especially for when you have to scale it down for the small map.
Major Night Strike

Postby Scott-Land on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:05 pm

luxCRUSADER wrote:I love the forest ! As an avid camper, the THREE tone trees is reflection of the author's ability to grab the viewers attention to beauty ... AMAZING JOB !!!!!
I love the rail connections, as it relates to gameplay balance !
I love the Chicago Imagery with the train, and the building- and its actually the building that compelled me to type today at your site- when I don't really have the time, cuz of the many errands in front of me; but like I said this a DAMN GOOD MAP from a gamers point of view ... the art compels me to stare !!! the Chicago map itself makes it easy to see the choke points.. and then I am left drooling over my keyboard demanding to start a game NOW !!! :evil:

I hope you'll be alright with the copyright to "Chicago Transit Authority"- looks like you'll be OK- as long as your not affiliated with it in any way ;)

What type of connection is that black and gray symbol between 'WEST PULLMAN' and 'SOUTH DEERING' ? I'm guessing its a bridge ?

And before I depart, I'm thinking you have already done this... but you might want to experiment with blending the opacity down as the eyes move from the main art work imagery of building and train as it approaches the map proper area ??? In either event that side is a little dark ... Quite Frankly, I don't know if that would improve things ... not sure...but what I am sure about is that this map is going all the way !!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY ON IT !!!

Good Job !- NO: ... GREAT JOB !!!!!!!! =D>

Wow thanks @!

whitestazn88 wrote:write that the train stations attack adjacent train stations, otherwise the way its worded now is that you can attack any train station.

Suppose I can-- but it should be clear that you can't hop over a terr to attack w/out it being bombardments.

Night Strike wrote:It seems like there is way too much deadspace on the map, especially for when you have to scale it down for the small map.

It's the shape of Chicago-- somewhat like Florida's pan handle. I've enlarged the current map to 110% taking the southern/northern borders to the edge. You don't gain much east/west at least nothing substantial and if anything, it looks as though parts of the map is missing. I prefer it the way it is over the other. Without distorting the map to make it larger east/west, I can't go any further north/south. I have about a 1/4 of inch I can shift to the left-- someone had mentioned that already.

As far as scaling it down to the small version, it won't create more or less space as it's relative and proportionate to the larger one- 800x840 to 600x630

If you have suggestions, I'd be more than happy to accommodate. It doesn't help me that you're saying there's dead space.... I've tried to fill the voids the best that I can.
Major Scott-Land

Postby Risky_Stud on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:23 am

O.K., don't know why you had to change the background.
I liked the original better. It was brighter and fun to look at.
The new one is to dark and with the water also darker gives
it an all around strange feeling for me.

I do like the idea of the impassibles on a street sign though.
Maybe if you can find a way to combine them both or just make
the new one brighter to contrast with the water. And like i said
before with soldier field , if you can add something on the map itself
to give some flavor. even a small sear's tower or some other chicago
landmark would be cool.

But after all this is just my opinion and you should do what you feel
is best. Game play so far, i think looks just fine. Keep up the good work
buddy. Will be keepin an Eye on ya. :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas