Conquer Club

Map Incubator Experiment (Failed)

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map Incubator Experiment (Failed)

Postby RjBeals on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 pm

you've got so much heart oaktown. At least you tried.
Private RjBeals

Postby Kotaro on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:39 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Kotaro wrote:Oak, don't give up on this. Honestly, with the crew you picked, I'm not overly surprised. Pick better and try again, and it'll work.

Yes, why don't you give team 2 a go. I for one will be in there ( with nice positive stuff) ;)

Exactly. Give Team2 a go.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:52 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Kotaro wrote:Oak, don't give up on this. Honestly, with the crew you picked, I'm not overly surprised. Pick better and try again, and it'll work.

Yes, why don't you give team 2 a go. I for one will be in there ( with nice positive stuff) ;)

And to add to that, Oak, isn't everyone on summer holidays in the north, possibly why there hasn't been much activity lately in the foundry and why people haven't answered your PMs
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:03 am

Well, you would think that in a group of eight volunteers - most of whom have been active in other forums and playing games - somebody besides the token moderator in the bunch would make at least one post. I figured there'd be some attrition, but 90% in the first three weeks? Ouch.

Anyone else who would like to give this a try is welcome to do so... nobody said I'm the only one that can make this work. I've given a lot of hours to CC over the past three years, and spending additional hours trying to get folks to do something they wouldn't do otherwise is not my idea of time well spent.
Captain oaktown

Postby john9blue on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:45 am

This has turned out strangely like the Mapmakers Guild...

Is mapmaking really that daunting for new cartographers? :(
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:29 am

As a newer mapmaker, it does seem daunting, but I can tell you I think I can see both sides of the equation here. It's like this:

The game is based on the creation of maps. Without maps to play on, there is no game, period. Most of the population doesn't really bother with the process, taking for granted it actually happens, and will also complain about it... When someone who doesn't make maps tries the process just seems to go against the work being done. And watching other maps go through the process it may seem that a new mapmaker is being picked on. It's a patience issue really.

The daunting part of map making, to me, seems to be those that do post and comment, while usually polite and insightful, seem to go around in circles. One person thinks the bonus value should be 3 another thinks it should be 4, both make good arguments on the subject, so you go up and down, up and down... It happens with most aspects of map making, some like the way this text looks, or that picture, this rule, etc. and others don't. It can be very frustrating. The work put into maps is slow and tedious.

I dunno, maybe something that might be really helpful for drafts and as a part of this process (or on its own) might be testing the map with actual gameplay. Seeing the map being used will point out tons of issues. It is quite different to SAY "think about if you would want to start on this territory..." and actually PLAYING the territory during a game. For this to work you would need to reach a graphical bench mark, and have the know how to code the XML. Eh, could be worth a try.

Either way, if you want some help with this oaktown, I can chip in too on the "B" team. ;)
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby squishyg on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:04 am

I'm not sure who your A-Team was, but maybe you should cast a wider net for your first time out on this experiment. I'm a community organizer, and if I need 20 people for a project, I ask 50 and sign up 30. And these are people who are already committed to the organization . If you're starting something new, you do need to expect higher attrition. Yes, it's frustrating, but that's how these things work.
Captain squishyg

Postby Kotaro on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:13 am

oaktown wrote:Anyone else who would like to give this a try is welcome to do so... nobody said I'm the only one that can make this work. I've given a lot of hours to CC over the past three years, and spending additional hours trying to get folks to do something they wouldn't do otherwise is not my idea of time well spent.

To be quite honest Oak, I don't give enough of a damn about CC, with the way it has changed in the past few months alone, to dedicate hours of my time organizing anything to help out the site. Would I give my assistance on a group helping to get me more content for the money I paid? Hell yes. But I won't go so far as to run anything like this myself. Maybe when gimil decides drinking himself under the table isn't a good use of his time, then this idea might sprout.

Nice try anyways.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby iancanton on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 am

oaktown wrote:And as I don't want this to turn into yet another foundry bitch session, I'll be asking that this thread be locked.

as requested, locked for the time being.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions