Conquer Club

Issue #82 - 14/07/09

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Issue #82 - 14/07/09

Postby Gozar on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:39 pm

14/07/09

Hello tournament players and fans.
After careful thought I have decided that after a year and a half, I will be ending my 'temporary' position as editor here at the tournament news. I have had a wonderful time, and seen the newsletter evolve and expand in my time. But the time comes for new blood and for moving on to new projects. I will be staying around for the next few issues to find a new editor and ensure the transition goes smoothly. Thanks for reading!
As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Image Tournament Director Message
ImageNewsletter Poll
ImageSeeking Staff
ImageCurrently Taking Signups
ImageTournament Updates
ImageComing Soon
ImageThe Tournament Roll of Honuor
ImageInterview with keiths31
ImageNext Issue
ImageNotes
ImageStaff

From the desk of the Tournament Directors:

Hello again everybody. As you probably noticed in the forum announcement, both Steelhorse and I have relinquished our roles as Global Moderators to focus more time on being Tournament Directors. Steelhorse has also come under a time crunch in the real world, so he asked me to take over the Big Stick as Head Tournament Director. I feel very humbled to take on that mantel and look forward to heading up the next steps in the tournament forums.

We have already started on the next update to our Tournament Policies, and I hope to have that out relatively soon. We've gone quite a while without any major policy changes, so I'm looking forward to the couple of new ideas that we are working on. As a sneak peek, I'm also working on an update to clarify and revamp the Tournament Handbook, so if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. Feel free to post a reply to the newsletter thread or drop me a PM.

I hope we can continue improving and expanding our tournament forums.

~Night Strike

Our current poll is still running and asks: "Would you like to see more 'Official' tournaments? So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive. What do you think?
Please stop by the poll thread and vote.

Newsletter EditorOrganised? Love tournaments? Have ample free time to running a tournament themed newsletter? Contact Gozar about taking over the helm.

News Hound - Our News Hounds need someone to join the pack! Have a nose for news? Enjoy journalistic writing? Like to do stuff for free? Then PM Gozar about this opportunity.

jricart is on holiday and a complete signup list is unavaiable. If you would like to see your tournament included here, please PM Gozar or visit this thread.

GR's Map Tour II "Continental"
Organiser: giantrascal
It needs: a total of 56 entrants + reserves
Notes: It's starts with and 8 per game round then gradually goes down. All one must do to advance is not be in the bottom 2 for their game. It will take a tour of the various continent maps CC has to offer.
It will start: July 18

K3-Factor using a 6x6 windmill setup
Organiser: PaulusH
Using a 6x6 windmill setup
Needs 6x6=36 individual players to play 9 triples games each with mixing teams
First games start: 2 August

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter, and PM it to Gozar or post it in this thread.

Isle Cruise using a 7x7 windmill setup
Organiser Name: PaulusH
Ireland is abandoned :roll:
Planned end date: 6 September

Mac Dinner Date using a 5x5 windmill setup
using a 5x5 windmill setup
The last car still is driving, but the might be something wrong with the engine
Planned end date: 5 September

Double Iron Bar
Using a 3x3 windmill setup
Looking forward to some Sake
Planned end date: 21 August

Bring Your Own Recipe (BYOR) Dinner Date
Using a 5x5 windmill setup
Some appetizers are more enjoyable then others
Planned end date: 19 October

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
Round Fourteen almost complete.

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

Coming Summer/Fall 2009 from the mind of barterer2002

3 For 4 (Teams of 4 playing triples in all combinations ABC, ABD, ACD, BCD)
Barts Modern Random Tournament
The Discovery Series: Cities of the World
The Championship Series:
The New Scooby Doo Tournaments
Sci Fi actors (featuring actors who have been characters on multiple Sci Fi series)
Down and Dirty VI
The Escalating Tournament II

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"Tupence's BBET" -General Flashman
"2009 World baseball Classic Quads" -banana_hammocks, Natewolfman, vtonic and topper
"Conquistador Hispano 5" -Renovamus
"Beta Beta Beta"- Annexator
"Battle for World Supremacy 1v1 Tournament" -AAFitz
"Friends Close, Enemies Closer II" -banana_hammocks
"Sams Awesome Doubles Tournament" -thezepman & rabbiton
"Trainee Triples" -Captain_Scarlet, neanderpaul14 & notyou2
"Mixed Doubles Ordina Open" -Delving & Beinion
"Through the Ages" -Culs de Sac
"Wimbledon Ascending Doubles" -scottishleaf & phantomfears
"LxDS Shadow and Flame" -Daviedoo and Lindax
"random tournament" -aselwyn1
"Territory War" -Sirron,Danryan,Tdog0533,Pridekiller
"LxDS Forbidden Fruit" -Wild_Tiger & AAFitz
"Trippin Out in Gr8 Lakes"- Dshedd, Absolute, General Anarchy
"HAs Cinco de Mayo" -AndrewB
"First Adjacent Attacks Tournament" -xelabale
"Trippin Out in Extreme" -[b]gannable,ironwood, blue baron
[b]"Beta Beta Beta"-
Annexator
"Territory War" -Sirron,Danryan,Tdog0533,Pridekiller
"Dobles Hispanos 1" -Cilindr0 & Finneas
"LxDS Shadow and Flame" -Daviedoo & Lindax
"From Large games to Small Games" -LLLUUUKKKEEE
"1v1 Mission Impossible" -endar1077
"Battle for Supremacy" -odratsab
"Lost? Where and When are we?" -Remi
"Caymanmew's classic Tournament" -GreazzzzMaster
"Sparta vs Argos" -Cowboyz, AndrewB, Carl2216, Dragon Dor, Jinks
"The Apprentice 1 - CC style" -killmanic
"CC Golf Championships" -Shatners Bassoon / Chariot of Fire / jpeter15 / lt.pie
"LxDS Discover Iberia" -pacalleke and dragon dor

This week we had the opportunity to once again interview keiths31. All questions were submitted by readers of the newsletter. Next week, we check in once again with one of the Tournament Directors, Steelhorse.
You can submit your questions in this thread.

Now, on with the interview!

Q: Hello, keiths31.

A: Heya Gozar

Q:What makes you worthy of a second interview?

A: Not sure...

Q:Whats your motivation (or why do you like) to play on CC?

A: Still love *wrisk* and the site hasn't lost it's appeal to me

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A: I don't know...well over a year now

Q: Who do you look to for inspiration when organizing your tournaments?

A: Something I would like to play in. No real inspiration...just what ever I think will make a fun tournament.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A: The CFL 2008 Season. Really enjoyed that. It was long...I finished two other tournaments before that one was done. Was a nice relief when it finally finished. The first one I played in was one by Gozar, Battle for North America. Made it to the semi finals.

Q:Tell us about your overall tournament experience from when you first joined a tournament to the present day. How has it changed for you? Is it a better experience than before? Worse?

A: It has gotten much better. Better players and I am more organized. There are also more TO's and that means more tournament ideas and different formats.

Q: How many tournaments have you run already, and do you have a goal in mind for how many you want to run in total before you "retire"? How many are you running right now?

A: I have 9 complete. Running my 10th.

Q:What tournaments have you organized?

A: CFL 2008 Season, Escape From Hell, Conquer the New World, Mega Man, Games night CC Style and several of my Musical Chairs series.

Q:What is your favourite tournament you have run?

A: Musical Chairs. I really enjoy those. The Mega Man one was cool because I got to fit in a childhood favourite game into a tournament.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in? Why?

A: The two I have won. OHL Season 2 and Championship Series: Alexanders Empire 8-)

Q:Do you prefer to run or enter tournaments?

A: I do both with equal enjoyment...though I am more successful at running them.

Q:Are you selective about which types of tournaments you join or do you join just about everything you can fit into your personal game load? If you are selective, do you look for certain styles or organizers?

A:I will play in almost anything...whatever I think will be fun.

Q: Do you find it easier to choose tournament settings yourself, or to let the players customize them?

A: I find it more challenging to let the TO pick the settings. I am out of my comfort zone then and it is then more of a challenge.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A: Mostly all tournaments or clan challenges.

Q:Of your goals, in regards to CC, have you gotten done you've wanted to achieve?

A: Never set a goal. It is an internet game site...

Q:If you had to win one tournament that you are currently a part of which would it be and why?

A: TLO 2009 II because it is a team one and I haven't won a team tournament yet. Also the Legend of Tor'N'Mit. It is a long and grueling tournament and somehow I am still in it.

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A: Championshp Series: Chinese Checkers and Battle For North America

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A: My Musical Chairs Series. They fill up fast and people seem to really enjoy them. There is different stratergy involved in the games...makes them interesting.

Q:Have you ever been disappointed in a tournament you have run? What about one you entered?

A: A lack of foresight caused Conquer the New World to have to have three tiebreaker games. I have been disappointed in tournaments that are abandoned out of the blue.

Q: What makes a successful organizer?

A: Time...effort...thick skin...beer

Q: How do you attract players to your tournament, and what aspect (besides a reward of a premium prize or something like that) of a tournament do you think appeals to a lot of players and why?

A: Nothing really. I have sent out PM's to past players, but that is about it.

Q: For you, what is the best part of being a tournament organizer?

A: Completing something that others enjoyed.

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A: My tournaments are much more thorough with less mistakes now. I made plenty of mistakes in the past so I am aware of what not to do....or I hope so anyway.

Q:What is your opinion on organizer neutrality? Should organizers be allowed to place themselves against their own clanmates in tournaments? Should organizers be allowed to join their own tournaments at all?

A: I stopped joining my own tournaments...not because of conflict but just because I thought it would be easier to watch than to watch and play. Other TO's can play in their own if they like, but everything has to be transparent. If the TO places players in groups they should be aware of the optics of placing themselves in what may perceived as a weaker group.

Q: Do you use a "schedule" for updating your tournaments, or do you just wait until they need an update?

A:
Just updates when updates are needed.
Q:Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A: Sure. I have never denied anyone based on rank. Though some of my tournaments are premium only due to gameload.

Q:Do you feel it is better to give a bye to players whose opponents deadbeats the tournament, or to use a reserve?

A: No a bye is fine. It isn't the players fault an opponent deadbeated.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: The forums are messed up.

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: Keep it small and work your way up to larger tournaments. Don't try to make a big impression on your first one. It could backfire if you abandon it. Ask for help or advice from other TO's.

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A: 1. Finding time to work on them. 2. Busted players joining the tournament. 3. Gilligan 4. Forgetting to hit submit before closing off the window after an update. 5. New ideas.

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A: An hour or two at most.

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A: Generation One: The Clan, the Ontario Social Clan and the TO group.

Q:Which variety of Alexander Keith's is your favorite?

A: India Pale Ale, though Amber Red is nice.

Q:Where are you from?

A: Thunder Bay, Ontario in the Great White North

Q:Favourite play colour?

A: Red

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A: Alexander's Empire. Least favourite...Arms Race *shudders*

Q:Favourite settings?

A: No cards, chained, sequential

Q:Freestyle or sequential?

A: Sequential

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: Going to continue with the Musical Chairs series with an Island version, Mini Map version and others.

Q:How does it feel to be interviewed again?

A:Old...

Q: Any parting shots?

A: No...to early in the morning to say something witty

Q: Thank you for your time.

A:No thank you Gozar.

Interview With Steelhorse

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form or visit this thread!:

----------------FORM-------------------
Status of tournament
Tournament Name(with link please)
Organiser: [Your name with 'player' tag]
Brief Description
(If recruiting) Approx. number of players needed
(If Ongoing) Approx. number of games remaining/percentage complete
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Graphics- Sir. Ricco/samuelc812
News Hound-sailorseal
Ask the Nutts- David Hoekstra
Fun Facts-sailorseal
Currently Taking Signups-jricart
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Re: Issue #82 - 14/07/09

Postby PaulusH on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:55 pm

As always a good Newsletter !

Thank you Gozar for all the work done here =D> =D>
Finding someone else who will be at least at your level will be difficult.
Major PaulusH

Return to Newsletter Archives