[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Postby pamoa on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:40 am

Mod Note:Abandoned - If resurrected, this one must be checked again.

a Swiss map by a Swiss SWITZERLAND v05 new features : German cities bonus +7, red bg less bright, signature
Click image to enlarge.

previous versions v01 / v02 / v03 / v04

Switzerland is a landlocked alpine country of 7.7 million people. The establishment of Switzerland is traditionally dated to 1 August 1291. It is a federal republic consisting of 26 states, called cantons. Bern is the seat of the federal authorities, while the country's economic centres are its three global cities Zürich, Geneva and Basel.
Officially called the Swiss Confederation, the formal name in the four national languages is Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft in German, Confédération Suisse in French, Confederazione Svizzera in Italian and Confederaziun Svizra in Romansh and also Confoederatio Helvetica in Latin from which derives the country code CH

MAP DESCRIPTION
This map intend to represent the Swiss multiculturalism as well as it's crossroad position in Europe and it's reputation as a tourism destination in the Alps.
So we have the 3 main linguistic regions and the founding members for multiculturalism;
highways and the neighbouring foreign cities for the crossroad position;
and the main tourist resorts representing... tourism!
The cantons capitals and country main cities were used for the 3 main linguistic regions (see below the list).
The square form of the map is linked to the Swiss flag, one of the few non rectangular flag in the world.
In 1863 Henry Dunant also used a reverted version of it as the symbol of his newly created Red Cross organisation

47 positions no neutral
8 bonus groups
    4 founding members +3 (prev. +2)
    22 German cities +5 each set of 7 (prev. +3 /6)
    8 French cities +3 each set of 4 (prev. +2 /4)
    2 Italian cities +1
    7 tourist resorts +2 each set of 3 (prev. +1 /3)
    6 foreign cities +2 each set of 3 (prev. +1 /3)
    13 A1 cities +9 (prev. +7)
    10 A2 cities +7 (prev. +6)
Fribourg/Freiburg and Bienne/Biel can contribute to both French and German bonus

for the starting territories xml I was thinking coding 3 groups of starting positions
Code: Select all
<positions>
 <position>
  <territory>Lugano</territory>
  <territory>Davos</territory>
  <territory>Gstaad</territory>
  <territory>Stutgart</territory>
  <territory>Lyon</territory>
  <territory>Genève</territory>
  <territory>Sion</territory>
 </position>
 <position>
  <territory>Bellinzona</territory>
  <territory>Verbier</territory>
  <territory>Sankt Moritz</territory>
  <territory>Vaduz</territory>
  <territory>Strassbourg</territory>
  <territory>Lausanne</territory>
  <territory>La Chaux-de-Fonds</territory>
 </position>
 <position>
  <territory>Locarno</territory>
  <territory>Zermatt</territory>
  <territory>München</territory>
  <territory>Milano</territory>
  <territory>Neuchâtel</territory>
  <territory>Delémont</territory>
 </position>
</positions>

show: Swiss cities

SUGGESTED / TO DO
-

DONE
- removing 1 tourist resort to stay at 47 starting positions
- adding the Simplon pass road from Brig to Milano so it is a bit more open in south
- work on bg

REJECTED
- giving auto-deploy bonus to a few of the major cities

show: POLLS
Last edited by pamoa on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 19 times in total.
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Re: SWITZERLAND v01 17jul

Postby galix on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:19 am

Suisse est tres bien - j'espere jouer bientot

Gilles Alix
Cadet galix

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:30 am

Nice start and definitely an interesting take on the country. I'll post more crits when I get some time.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:09 am

pamoa, good start, an interesting slant although connected to some gameplay we have seen on similar maps with highway/city themes, however nothing wrong with that IMHO.
For me, the whole red background of the flag is simply too distracting, and should you keep that background, perhaps it needs to be toned down or covered with another layer that will make it less glaring.
I guess the bi-lingual towns of Bienne and Fribourg can contribute to either the french of German speaking? Yes?
Not quite sure what the theme is...there appears to be a number of combinations there.
Can i say, i hope this one gets finished, i recall that the last attempt became too much trying to please everybody! I hope you don't make the same call for this one. :)
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby pamoa on Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:59 am

cairnswk wrote:pamoa, good start, an interesting slant although connected to some gameplay we have seen on similar maps with highway/city themes, however nothing wrong with that IMHO.
For me, the whole red background of the flag is simply too distracting, and should you keep that background, perhaps it needs to be toned down or covered with another layer that will make it less glaring.
I guess the bi-lingual towns of Bienne and Fribourg can contribute to either the french of German speaking? Yes?
Not quite sure what the theme is...there appears to be a number of combinations there.
Can i say, i hope this one gets finished, i recall that the last attempt became too much trying to please everybody! I hope you don't make the same call for this one.
:)

thanks for dropping in and commenting cairnswk
I also hope finishing this map
I'll do my best
all graphic issue will be treated after getting draft and gameplay stamps
Fribourg and Bienne can actually contribute to either French and German bonus
"This map intend to represent the Swiss multiculturalism as well as it's crossroad position in Europe and it's reputation as a tourism destination in the Alps."
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Blitzaholic on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:22 am

It is a good start, I am not sure on that color of red for background? although it is different. May I ask what is the theme here, there does seem to be some scattered-ness. I will re-examine the bonus structure later.
General Blitzaholic

Medals: 129
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (1)

Postby pamoa on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:29 am

Blitzaholic wrote:It is a good start, I am not sure on that color of red for background? although it is different. May I ask what is the theme here, there does seem to be some scattered-ness. I will re-examine the bonus structure later.

"This map intend to represent the Swiss multiculturalism as well as it's crossroad position in Europe and it's reputation as a tourism destination in the Alps.
So we have the 3 main linguistic regions and the founding members for multiculturalism;
and the main tourist resorts representing... tourism!"
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Postby RjBeals on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Nice start Pamoa. Already i think it's got more promise than the previous attempt. It definately feels Swiss.

I agree with cairns though - the red is just too much. My opinion of course, but it's just too distracting. I like the land map though. It's good that you keep the terrain mountainous.

But here's a thought.. I don't know if you ever venture over to cartographersguild.com - but they have some badass maps over there. There is a map called bretoria, that is one of my favs. It's a huge map (like 4000 x 5500 px), but I've clipped a portion of it and attached below. The guy created the mountains by taking a capture from google earth of the alps, then used a filter or 2 in photoshop to give them the current look (I think it was artistic > cutout filter). Then took some time to blend them into his map. I love the look he came up with, and I think it would work with your maps as well - seeing as how you are keeping the land relief.

Anyway - give it a thought - if you like, go over to cartographersguild and search for the map.

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Blitzaholic on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:37 pm

pamoa wrote:
Blitzaholic wrote:It is a good start, I am not sure on that color of red for background? although it is different. May I ask what is the theme here, there does seem to be some scattered-ness. I will re-examine the bonus structure later.

"This map intend to represent the Swiss multiculturalism as well as it's crossroad position in Europe and it's reputation as a tourism destination in the Alps.
and the main tourist resorts representing... tourism!"

ok, thx, great idea
General Blitzaholic

Medals: 129
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (1)

Postby sailorseal on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 am

The edges feel a little rough, can you soften them?
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi pamoa.
The beautiful Switzerland, I don't know how many times i have been there! :)
I love the magnificent mountain landscapes that i saw in this country.
But let's talk about the map...
I like the development in terms of language and tourism, two key features of this country (although you should add the banks :lol: ).
Highways are difficult to hold, but the two bonuses should help (A1-german / A2 - italian)
You have 22 german territories, with a +3 bonus each set of 6... :-k For example in Berlin1961 we have 15 russian territories with a +5 bonus for 8 territories. Maybe you could increase the number of required territories for this bonus and adjust the bonus you want to give.
Italian bonus is very easy, Bellinzona/Lugano are coded? And maybe add locarno? (3 italian/7 tourist). Anyway a +1 isn't a big problem if a player will not start with this bonus.
Foreign cities seem to be an unnecessary addition. (but i'm happy to see Milano on your map ;) ).
I'm agree with others that you have to work on the background and maybe you should increase the opacity of land, on the white is almost invisible, althought it isn't a primary part of the map.The flag and the geographical map should give an exact location of your map, but rather to work together perfectly, they will disturb each other, creating some confusion.
Finally i think you can cut the Lake Maggiore ( 3/4 are italian ) along the country border.

On the whole is a good start, keep working on it!

thenobodies80

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby pamoa on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:36 am

guys
thanks for dropping in and commenting
I'm repeating
all graphic issue will be treated after getting draft and gameplay stamps
RjBeals wrote:Anyway - give it a thought - if you like, go over to cartographersguild and search for the map.

I surely will

sailorseal wrote:The edges feel a little rough, can you soften them?

work on that later

thenobodies80 wrote:Highways are difficult to hold, but the two bonuses should help (A1-german / A2 - italian)
You have 22 german territories, with a +3 bonus each set of 6... :-k For example in Berlin1961 we have 15 russian territories with a +5 bonus for 8 territories. Maybe you could increase the number of required territories for this bonus and adjust the bonus you want to give.
Italian bonus is very easy, Bellinzona/Lugano are coded? And maybe add locarno? (3 italian/7 tourist). Anyway a +1 isn't a big problem if a player will not start with this bonus.
Foreign cities seem to be an unnecessary addition. (but i'm happy to see Milano on your map ;) ).

what do you think German speaking cities +4 each 7 or +6 each 11
I don't want to mix language cities with tourist resorts but the two Italian speaking cities will be coded as starting position
but tourist resort bonus can be increased to +2 each 4
Foreign cities was added to emphasise the Europe crossroad feature and to reach 47 territories
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:44 pm

will v2 be released soon?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby pamoa on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:32 am

I need more comments on gameplay before working on graphics
but almost all comments were about the bg :(
my beautiful Swiss red flag bg
besides I have an awful lot of rl work
Last edited by pamoa on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:56 am

I like the way the bonuses work, but I'd also like to see a few of the major cities giving auto-deploys and so on.

Although the regions are well spaced out, you'll need to draw a lot more land in to cover up the distracting background. You could probably have that flag as a transparent layer over the land instead of having the land transparent over the flag.

Oh, and those are original graphics, right ?
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Next

Return to Recycling Box