Conquer Club

CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:56 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Current Version 28

Click image to enlarge.

Neutral Starts

Original Version
show

Why this map?
One punter asked for it, and i thought it would be an easy simply layout for everyone to follow.
Also it's another crack at getting a sports map through the foundry. :)

Explanation of how Cricket is played

World Teams that play Cricket Ref from link above
Code: Select all
The official Test Cricket nations are currently: England, Australia, West Indies, South Africa, India, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, and Zimbabwe.

The West Indies is actually a consortium of Caribbean countries: Barbados; Jamaica; Guyana; The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago; Antigua and Barbuda; St. Kitt's-Nevis; Dominica; St. Lucia; St. Vincent and the Grenadines; Montserrat; and Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique.

Minor cricketing nations (which do not play Test cricket, but do compete for a place in the World Cup One-Day competition) include: Kenya, Fiji, Canada, The Netherlands, Bangladesh.

The most famous Test cricket Series is The Ashes, played every two years between Australia and England. The Ashes trophy is a small urn containing ``the ashes of English cricket'' (in reality the ashes of a set of bails), which ``died'' in a match in 1882 when Australia beat England for the first time. The Ashes are currently held by Australia, although the physical trophy is kept permanently in a room at Lord's Cricket Ground in London.

The most infamous event in cricket was the 1932-33 English tour of Australia - the Bodyline tour. The English team used a new tactic to get batsmen out, by bowling at their bodies and placing many fielders in short fielding positions backward of square leg. As the batsmen fended the ball away in an effort to protect themselves, the ball often flew off the edge of the bat into the waiting hands of the fielders, getting the batsman out caught. The English referred to this tactic as ``Leg Theory'', but the Australians, angry that the English bowlers were aiming at their bodies, christened it ``Bodyline''.

Several Australian batsmen were injured because of this, some seriously. The English tactics cause a diplomatic row between the countries. After the tour was over, cricket officials introduced the rules against dangerous bowling, and the restriction of no more than two fielders backward of square leg.

Cricket in the USA info

Field positions in cricket
show

Fielding positions for this map
Fielding position names are usually given for the batter on strike.
This is the case in this map, even though there are several strikes having been made from Batter 2 (for the creativity of the gameplay)

Neutral Starts - 31
Bowler(1)
Batter 1 and Batter 2 (3 each)
8 x fours(2)
7 x sixes(3)
Gully(2)
Leg gully(2)
Mid-on(2)
Cover(2)
Public 2, Public 8, Public 12, Public 14 (2 each)
PC1, PC2, (2 each)
3rd Umpire(2)
Amos & Loe (2 each)

No of territories - 100
There are currently 100 territories on this map consisting of the following:
1 Streaker
5 Police
Police Room
3 Umpires
3 Media (three media are names of internationally reknowned commentators - English, S African and Australian repsectively)
12 Fielding Team (includes Bowler)
12 Batting Team (2 on the pitch and 10 in the Pavillion)
7 Sixes
8 Fours
4 Runs to the Field
24 Spectators
6 Pubs
14 Public areas/paths

Bonuses
These are on the map.

Unique/Specific Feature of the Map
Really there is nothing unique about the map apart from the fact that it is a sporting map.
There is no complicated gameplay that involves bombardments.
There will be some neutral postions, to be developed for gameplay, which are mentioned above.

Enjoy!
Last edited by cairnswk on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:47 am, edited 72 times in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: SILLY MID-ON

Postby brian fletcher on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:59 pm

good work cairnes.. you certainly dont waste any time.

if we are going to have named players instead of fielding positions, as i dont think there would be room enough for both, what about a poll for 2 (all time) world elevens.

obviously not all batsmen or all bowlers you would have to have openers, number 3 batsman, number 4 batsman, all rounder, spinner, seamer, 3 quicks, and either another batsman or a bowler. need a WK in there as well, but he could be an all rounder batsman/WK
obviously the 11 fielders and 2 batsmen are in the field.
we could have a balcony where the other 9 batsmen and 12th man are waiting to go in.
we could have a scoreboard with a fictitious score.
turnstiles and a gateman
streaker
programme seller
beer tent with staff
cameraman
press area
tv commentary box with 2 people
trying to find a way to make it into a medium sized map and make it more lifelike.
maybe have a spectator area and scattered amongst them are small neutrals 1s and 2s. but key spots could be 4s and 6s. they could be holding up the numbers, as though cheering for a 4 (boundary) or 6 (boundary)
aaahhh i see you have the commentary box.
this could be a goer mate
Last edited by brian fletcher on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant brian fletcher
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Dexsting on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:32 pm

gotta say, wow...fast work. I was just joking. Now I know you're a master :)

love the initial bonus structure.
Sergeant 1st Class Dexsting

Postby brian fletcher on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:26 pm

no no no.... that cant be right. chappell and hadlee batting and warne bowling? never in a month of sundays...
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:05 pm

brian fletcher wrote:no no no.... that cant be right. chappell and hadlee batting and warne bowling? never in a month of sundays...

Oh common. where's your spirit. You're simply not playing "cricket" :lol: :lol:
Private cairnswk

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:51 pm

what the f*ck? sorry, i know nothing about cricket. and i'm sure you realize this map will probably flop, as do most sporting event maps... they just don't work, i dunno why.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:46 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:what the f*ck? sorry, i know nothing about cricket. and i'm sure you realize this map will probably flop, as do most sporting event maps... they just don't work, i dunno why.

Yeh, shame that isn't it. I wonder why?
Anyway, here's an explanation for you.
Private cairnswk

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:04 pm

cairnswk wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:what the f*ck? sorry, i know nothing about cricket. and i'm sure you realize this map will probably flop, as do most sporting event maps... they just don't work, i dunno why.

lol, i'm an all-american boy. baseball is my sport. sorry mate
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:05 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

lol, i'm an all-american boy. baseball is my sport. sorry mate

yes i gathered. ;) but what happened to your baseball maps, there used to be a few around?
Private cairnswk

Postby Hopscotcher on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 pm

I wouldn't know a cricket match from a good game of Euchre, but I'd still play this. Looks fun!
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby Dexsting on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:58 pm

A good game of Euchre???!? That's awesome! Only be better if you knew Sheapshead too! lol. I think we can make this map work though. pave the way for all other sports maps to follow!

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:29 am

Dexsting wrote:... I think we can make this map work though. pave the way for all other sports maps to follow!

Map still being built. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Dexsting on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:22 am

Last day of my job and have nothing to do, so figured learning the game of cricket would be the ticket today! (ouch, that rhyme hurt). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sORPjRxUpdU points out some of the common terms in a fun way...well, maybe not fun, but in a way for sure.

And for all those who don't know cricket and think this map won't work because of that, there's a lot of good maps out there being played that are countries or historical events that people don't know about until they play the map and read up on it :P

I can go into nit-pick mode and make a bunch of small suggestions as well as big ones, even though I know you're still working on this and maybe already making some of these changes. Feel free, as always, to ignore anything I say ;)

For the bowler & streaker, put thier names on the right side so they're not in the way of the Deep-Offside 4 dotted line.

Not sure if there's room, but can we call the two battsman Striking Batsman and Non-striking Batsman instead of 1 and 2 (or S Batsman and NS Batsman)?

I think the S & NS Batsman should start neutral, so someone doesn't end up having a battsman and fielder to start and gets negative right away. And should the Deep Leg forward four also have a 3 neutral?

I'm not sure spectator and a six deserves a bonus...that could get out of hand pretty quick and I wouldn't think winning via the stands would be that fun.

The Long-on 4 doesn't have a fielder you need to go through to get it. Maybe the bonus requiring the fielder, battsman, and the four should just require the batsman and the four. Adding the fielder I think would just add confusing as to which fielder, and then the Long-on 4 doesn't need a fielder moved. And since you need to go through a fielder anyways to get to a 4 I think its just extra complication that's unnecessary. Maybe make the battsman and a four bonus worth 2 ('cause they'll likely have at least one fielder, and that way if you have both battsman and a 4, you actually get a bonus of +4). In the same logic, maybe make the batter and a six bonus +3?

I'm confused as to where some of the taverns connect to.

Maybe add some more bonuses for "All Spectators", "All Taverns", "Police Room and all Police" and "All Media Center"?

There's no names for the three public areas on the bottom left.

Could the Striking Batter maybe be able to one-way attack the sixes? That might be too overpowered, but it might work.

I really like the minus for if you have a fielder and a batter; the sides need to choose whether they go the fielding route or the batting route :)

Small misspell in the legend: "Batsman 1 lilinks with Batsman 2"

Can you make the blue police line from the police room to PC3 more blue or more distictive? Its hard to notice and seems the same colors as the lines in the outfield.

Do the fours connect with the stands at all? Its hard to tell. Maybe some of them do and some don't, just be more obvious about it?

Well, lunchtime for me. Hope these comments help :) I'm excited for this map!

Postby brian fletcher on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:01 pm

much better cairnes but a few things i thought of as well..

1. would it not be an idea to have the lines from each batsman (bat 1, bat 2 etc) split into 4 sections? working back from the boundary..... 4 which would start as a 4 neutral. then down to 3 2 and 1 nearest to the bat. lets say where deep offside is. 4n, long off could be 3n, alongside the bowler or move the bowler to the left a touch and that would be 2n then behind the umpire a 1n.
then the batter scores bonuses for each run they score, so if they break the 1 neutral they are on +1 then move on up the line to the boundary.
would have to make the batsmen something like a 10 neutral for this to work though so you have to be a batsman to score those bonuses.
dont know that it would work that a fielder and batsman is -1 because all the way through the game the teams will be shared i reckon
would it be possible for there to be 2 innings so 1 team bats and tother one fields then swap?
love the fact youve called it "the ashes".
just had an idea... catch ya later
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Dexsting on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:02 pm

brian fletcher wrote:much better cairnes but a few things i thought of as well..

1. would it not be an idea to have the lines from each batsman (bat 1, bat 2 etc) split into 4 sections? working back from the boundary..... 4 which would start as a 4 neutral. then down to 3 2 and 1 nearest to the bat. lets say where deep offside is. 4n, long off could be 3n, alongside the bowler or move the bowler to the left a touch and that would be 2n then behind the umpire a 1n.
then the batter scores bonuses for each run they score, so if they break the 1 neutral they are on +1 then move on up the line to the boundary.
would have to make the batsmen something like a 10 neutral for this to work though so you have to be a batsman to score those bonuses.
dont know that it would work that a fielder and batsman is -1 because all the way through the game the teams will be shared i reckon
would it be possible for there to be 2 innings so 1 team bats and tother one fields then swap?
love the fact youve called it "the ashes".
just had an idea... catch ya later

I like the batsmen and fielders at -1 because that can even out the battsman bonsuses in the begining without needing to put a high 10 neutrals on them (Want to still have people want to go after the batsmen, so 3 neutrals I think would be good).

Postby neanderpaul14 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Cool idea....maybe I will learn about cricket by playing on this map :) :)
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Dexsting wrote:...For the bowler & streaker, put thier names on the right side so they're not in the way of the Deep-Offside 4 dotted line.
Ah, for those i like to have tert names to the left of the army numbers or over them or under them, so that numbers don't cut names off and stop them from being read while players are quickly tkaing up games, and belive me, some players don't look well enough at names. I'll follow this through and see of there isn't an alternative there in that position.
Not sure if there's room, but can we call the two battsman Striking Batsman and Non-striking Batsman instead of 1 and 2 (or S Batsman and NS Batsman)?
I think the S & NS Batsman should start neutral, so someone doesn't end up having a battsman and fielder to start and gets negative right away. And should the Deep Leg forward four also have a 3 neutral?

I'd prefer not to. This map for the unititated and those who don't bother to read the cricket instructions, would not understand it and it would only make it more confusing. Batsman 1 & 2 give some idea of where the game is at, and that also conincides with the scenario text in the header.
For nuetrals, i'll fix that in version 2. Good idea.

I'm not sure spectator and a six deserves a bonus...that could get out of hand pretty quick and I wouldn't think winning via the stands would be that fun.
Done, although some players may want that back again later on.

Maybe add some more bonuses for "All Spectators", "All Taverns", "Police Room and all Police" and "All Media Center"?
Done

There's no names for the three public areas on the bottom left.
Done, the map wasn't finished ;)

Could the Striking Batter maybe be able to one-way attack the sixes? That might be too overpowered, but it might work.
Done

The Long-on 4 doesn't have a fielder you need to go through to get it. Maybe the bonus requiring the fielder, battsman, and the four should just require the batsman and the four. Adding the fielder I think would just add confusing as to which fielder, and then the Long-on 4 doesn't need a fielder moved. And since you need to go through a fielder anyways to get to a 4 I think its just extra complication that's unnecessary. Maybe make the battsman and a four bonus worth 2 ('cause they'll likely have at least one fielder, and that way if you have both battsman and a 4, you actually get a bonus of +4). In the same logic, maybe make the batter and a six bonus +3?
I really like the minus for if you have a fielder and a batter; the sides need to choose whether they go the fielding route or the batting route :)

Here's the go with the fours and fielders.
For gameplay, there has to be a way linking the batsmen to the fielders, and this occurs via the fielding positions on the inside of the fours. Now in a game, most batsmen try to get a four (same as home run in Baseball) but they have to put greater effort into it, so if a p[layer on batsman attacks to get a four and they don't succeed getting the four position on the boundary, then they're likely to get stuck on the fielding position, and lose a bonus -1 (the equivalent of getting out) and giving the fielding team a chance at knocking them out also. I thnk it is absolutely necessary to have these connection opportunities. As for bonuses, -1 for getting caught at a fielding position, or +2 for gaining the four is good ithink.

Small misspell in the legend: "Batsman 1 lilinks with Batsman 2"

Fixed.

Can you make the blue police line from the police room to PC3 more blue or more distictive? Its hard to notice and seems the same colors as the lines in the outfield.
Done

Do the fours connect with the stands at all? Its hard to tell. Maybe some of them do and some don't, just be more obvious about it?
NO. Fixed i hope
Well, lunchtime for me. Hope these comments help :) I'm excited for this map!

Good, i'm please for you being excited :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:58 pm

neanderpaul14 wrote:Cool idea....maybe I will learn about cricket by playing on this map :) :)

Yes that might happen.
Meanwhile, basic gameplay is completed.
Private cairnswk

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Postby Dexsting on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:15 pm

A comment on the Batsman and a four bonus...I agree with you that the batter should go through the fielder to get a four, I'm just saying does the batter also need to -hold- a fielder? I think just holding the four and the batter is necessary. It'll also eliminate confusion because now it could be read that if you have -any- fielder and the four and batter you can get the bonus. And the Long-on Four doesn't have a fielder, but you should still get the bonus for it if you get it. (I also like having one four that you don't have to go through a fielder to get.)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:26 pm

Dexsting wrote:A comment on the Batsman and a four bonus...I agree with you that the batter should go through the fielder to get a four, I'm just saying does the batter also need to -hold- a fielder? I think just holding the four and the batter is necessary. It'll also eliminate confusion because now it could be read that if you have -any- fielder and the four and batter you can get the bonus. And the Long-on Four doesn't have a fielder, but you should still get the bonus for it if you get it. (I also like having one four that you don't have to go through a fielder to get.)

Mmmm. Dilema. Let me got back on that one until i think it through ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Only Cairnswk can take a simple sport and make it into a complex map. Sweet! This map has promise. I will be following this map closely. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:09 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Only Cairnswk can take a simple sport and make it into a complex map. Sweet! This map has promise. I will be following this map closely. :)

Do you think it's too complex? I was trying to give some small continents, but if you have suggestions, i'd be glad to hear them.
Private cairnswk

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:12 pm

While I am not the biggest complex map fan I understand they have a place in CC. With that said this one really pushes the limits. That field looks like it could be a mess. People will be looking at this one asking themselves what attacks what! It just looks so crowded. Maybe that is just me.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:23 pm

Bruceswar wrote:While I am not the biggest complex map fan I understand they have a place in CC. With that said this one really pushes the limits. That field looks like it could be a mess. People will be looking at this one asking themselves what attacks what! It just looks so crowded. Maybe that is just me.

Yeh, :-k Bruceswar, the fielding team is marked in the legend and each member has contact with every other member (via throwing and catching) therefore they all have ability to be assaulted). The fours and sixes are easy bonuses if you get them.
the grandstand and the public areas are standard play. I'm sorry, but i don't know how to convey cricket at Lords any other way and not be all inclusive of the stand, pavillion and the requested features that were asked for initially.
I think, yes it is a little complex, but nothing someone who takes the time can get their head around. ;)
And yes there will be modifications (if the map goes ahead) but the gameplay is essentially all in the legend explanation, and if that is not clear, then i'd be happy to modify it to make it easier for people to understand. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Sorry for being rather blunt, cairns, but is this for real?
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Next

Return to The Atlas