[Beta] The Conquer 500

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 - Updated 7/20/2009 - [P1]

Postby iancanton on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:12 pm

in a quads game, i assume that each player starts with 1 car and 1 pit crew. if player 1 receives +7 for retaining his car positions, then he can deploy 10 troops on his crew, making 20 total, conquer one of the tools, then knock out the car bonus of player 2 and player 4, leaving team 2 crippled. u'll need to reduce the number of starting troops on the pit crew, as well as make part of each car start neutral, to stop this from happening.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:02 pm

iancanton wrote:in a quads game, i assume that each player starts with 1 car and 1 pit crew. if player 1 receives +7 for retaining his car positions, then he can deploy 10 troops on his crew, making 20 total, conquer one of the tools, then knock out the car bonus of player 2 and player 4, leaving team 2 crippled. u'll need to reduce the number of starting troops on the pit crew, as well as make part of each car start neutral, to stop this from happening.

Yep that sounds like a small problem I will look at the numbers again. I like the possibility of starting the car locations already under player control but maybe I could start them at 1 so you would be forced to start reinforcing them immediately. Also starting the pit equipment at 5 neutral might fix this. The +7 for the 3 car locations was so that you could use 3 to reinforce the car locations as they will loose one per turn and then have 4 leftover. Maybe +5 is a better number. I think the pits crews could start with 3.

So you would get +1 unit for track at the start and +5 for the car. You would need to drop 3 on your car locations and you would have 3 leftover to drop elsewhere. That would be a max of 6 on your pit and with all pit equipment having 5 to start i would think it would be better to drop on the track early.

Hows that sound?

==D
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (3)

Postby iancanton on Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:47 am

dolomite13 wrote:I like the possibility of starting the car locations already under player control but maybe I could start them at 1 so you would be forced to start reinforcing them immediately.

the trouble is, if player 1 starts with a +7 or +5 car bonus, then player 2 is likely to have his own car bonus destroyed before he starts. i suggest that each player has his car almost under control, except for each car's fuel being 1 neutral, so that he needs to do something positive on his first turn to earn his car bonus.

dolomite13 wrote:Also starting the pit equipment at 5 neutral might fix this.

i'm already assuming that the pit equipment starts with 5 neutrals, since u say so in the opening post.

dolomite13 wrote:I think the pits crews could start with 3.

this is better. each player then has to think carefully about where to deploy and when to use the pit crews to break out.

instead of using 88s in ur army circles to show neutrals, can u show the number of starting neutrals instead?

an idea for the title: conqueropolis 500?

Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:48 am

Click image to enlarge.
Image for the new page

Nice!
Your map reminds me of this old game that is somewhere in the closet :)
show

Anyway,reading your first post:
dolomite wrote:Connections
- One track location can attack all pit locations (location 26).
- One track location can be attacked by all pit locations (location 1).
- All pit locations can one way attack all pit equipment.
- All pit equipment can bombard all car locations (fuel, engine, tires).
- You can attack all of your car locations (fuel, engine, tires) from your pit location.
- All pit crews can bombard each other.

Maybe i'm mad, but i can't find nothing on the map that explain me how i can attack crew (location 26 with the quoted text). And how i can attack Pit Equipment?
I think you should add this informations on the legend, i see that location 1 and location 26 have a red border, but actually you have to assume that 26 is the access of the pitlane, where you can attack (or bombard?) crew and assume that crew, in turn, can attack (or bombard?) equipment.
Sorry if i'm wrong and i missed the informations somewhere on the map. ;)
Agree with iancanton about cars locations.

It's a funny map, keep it on! ;)
thenobodies80

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:05 pm

I love this idea and think it will make a great map. Very unique gameplay opportunities.

I only have two suggestions:

1. Change the term "Car Locations" to "Car Conditions". The use of Locations for things like Fuel and Tires is confusing to me. Location makes me think of the track, not the Engine. Car Conditions or Car Levels is much clearer.

2. The legend says "Pit Crews can one way attack all YOUR car locations." The your is out of place, but I'm also not entirely clear as to what this means. I assume you mean "Pit Crews can one way attack ANY car location"?

Okay, one more - the idea of having a singular territory to attack all the pit crews gives me some pause. Perhaps the Pit Equipment could attack back the Pit Crews? There is an awful lot of one way attacks and bombardments here (which i like), but it might not hurt to open up the attack routes just a smidge.

Good work - hope to see this one moving on quickly!
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby sailorseal on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:59 pm

I love the idea, maybe to simulate fuel and other such upgrades you could make several territories under each category and start all but one as nuetrals
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Map update coming this weekend
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Poll Result

What do you think of this map idea?

I Love it!...6...19%

I like it... keep working on it....16...52%

It's OK but I have some ideas that would improve it (see my post)...1...3%

It's not quite my cup of tea but I can see where others might like it....4...13%

I would rather play another game of classic....4...13%

Total votes : 31

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Re: The Conquer 500 - Updated 8/30/2009 - [P2]

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:13 pm

After looking over everyone's comments I have made some rather large changes to the bonus structure and attack routes. The changes are too numerous to list individually.Instead I will post the map and update the description text in the first post to match the current gameplay.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2535/387 ... 1ae2_o.png

Click image to enlarge.

==D==
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby iancanton on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:22 pm

let's play our hypothetical quads game again. player 1 receives 3 troops and deploys on his pit crew, making a stack of 6, which he uses to bombard and annihilate player 2's pit crew. player 2 can't do very much except take a track region. player 3, who is player 1's teammate, deploys 3 troops on his own pit crew and annihilates player 4's pit crew. do u see where this is going?

the pit crew are so important to each player that we can't let the pit crew bombard each other directly.

Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:00 am

i agree
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:56 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)

show
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Now that the foundry has a more solid process I would like to start work on this map again... I will submit a design brief to get this map restarted.

=D=
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Re: The Conquer 500 - Design Brief Submitted 1/5/2010

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Oh wow, awesome map. And I enjoy NASCAR.

For the car colors/names, I see two possible options for you to take:
  1. Color each of the cars the same as the 8 player colors used on CC. You can then name them using their color. You can mix the pit crew order at the top so it's not listed red, green, blue, etc. from left to right. You can also code the starting pit crew positions to match the player's color.
  2. Name each car as a mod/admin group and color them with the appropriate mod colors. It provides the uniqueness of CC without having to create names.

For gameplay, I think it would be worth considering aligning the Pit Equipment with the specific Car Conditions. Engine attacks Engine, Fuel attack Fuel, and Tires/Jack attack Tires. Tools can start with more neutrals than the other equipment and can attack all 3 Car Conditions.

Add a Start/Finish line. Make sure that background image you used of Indianapolis Speedway is not copyrighted.
Lieutenant Night Strike
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Conquer 500 - Design Brief Submitted 1/5/2010

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanx Night ... any chance we can get this moved back to the melting pot and out of mothballs =)

=D=
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Maps