Conquer Club

Castle Lands [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Castle Lands [Beta] what changes we should make? (poll)

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:53 pm

The poll is fairly inconclusive at the moment... (as they always seem to be in the foundry :lol: )

I'd say to go with what your instinct is telling you.. reduce the bridges to 2 neutrals, and code the castle/4courts as starts. You can always leave the courts bonus as it is for now, and see how it goes after the change...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:28 am

MrBenn wrote:The poll is fairly inconclusive at the moment... (as they always seem to be in the foundry :lol: )

I'd say to go with what your instinct is telling you.. reduce the bridges to 2 neutrals, and code the castle/4courts as starts. You can always leave the courts bonus as it is for now, and see how it goes after the change...

Right thought. :)

Bridges reduction has to be done, I didn't find a game with a player that voluntarily takes bridges.
About towers, i think assigned towers could give a great different way of playing:
  • An easier castle taking
  • Give more sense to catapults, actually not really used
(so many discussions about catapults and currently nobody use them! :lol: )

Then i think we can do a small period test without a bonus change to see if the "bridges-towers" changes will influence and balance the games.

I'm worried about the real power that a +12 bonus could have on the game (bridges and courts), but i have to see how towers will work against courts. Any comments about this?
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:I'm worried about the real power that a +12 bonus could have on the game (bridges and courts), but i have to see how towers will work against courts. Any comments about this?

Since the map is now up, I suggest changing it and seeing how it goes. All the permutations were mulled over during development; we're just finding some tweaks to get the most out of it ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pikkio on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:33 pm

yes. i'm totally agree. the results of the pool arenƬt clear about the bonus cause quite the same people voted for "towers starts neutral" and "towers not neutral".
by the way, the better choice is to test in game if it's better to change the court bonus or the other changes are good enough.

so, i'm waiting the new xml and the update of the map and then i will start a few games to test it personally. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class pikkio

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:21 am

Ok, we can do this test
Here the new xml file, updated and re-checked again with tools, etc,etc... :)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/3/21/2373685/CastleLandsV2.0.xml

Modifications
  • Bridges will start with +2 neutral
  • 8 starting positions:
    • Desert Tower
    • Mountain Tower
    • Forest Tower
    • Field Tower
    • Marquess
    • Knight
    • Earl
    • Bishop

-----------------------------------------
Courts bonus is still +8.

Re: Castle Lands [Beta] NEW XML

Postby timthenavigator on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:20 am

I tried reading through all of the pages of discussion, but if I missed this already, I apologize.
First, the map is great, and I have enjoyed playing on it.
My suggestion would be that the catapult can bombard one of the courts, not just the towers - it can make the courts too easy to hold, especially with the bridge being the only way of getting in. Just a thought. Great work though. Thanks for making the map.
Corporal timthenavigator

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:35 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Ok, we can do this test
Here the new xml file, updated and re-checked again with tools, etc,etc... :)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/3/21/2373685/CastleLandsV2.0.xml

Modifications
  • Bridges will start with +2 neutral
  • 8 starting positions:
    • Desert Tower
    • Mountain Tower
    • Forest Tower
    • Field Tower
    • Marquess
    • Knight
    • Earl
    • Bishop

-----------------------------------------
Courts bonus is still +8.

The XML update is in the hands of the top turtle ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby 00iCon on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:44 am

I'm playing it, and so far it's fun. =D>
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:10 am

MrBenn wrote:The XML update is in the hands of the top turtle ;-)

I have been informed that the new XML is now live...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pikkio on Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:54 pm

i'm playng a few games and i think that at now the gameplay is well balanced.

Postby oaktown on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:27 pm

this seems like a =D> to me.
Captain oaktown

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:24 am

After some games we think that now gameplay works well.
Maybe this one is not a perfect map for 1vs1 games, but i don't think that a change in the courts bonus could help about...
Anyone has concerns or suggestions about?
Do you like the map as it is now?

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:43 am

Seems fine to me, though I'm yet to taste victory on the map. Meh.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby MrBenn on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Castle Lands Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

ImageCongratulations pikkio and thenobodies80, your shiny new medals are well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby 00iCon on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:01 pm

WOOO! Congatulations! =D>
Better remove the [Beta] from the title now!
Also congrats 2 me, i just won my first game on it! =D>

Re: Castle Lands [Quenched]

Postby colton24 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:48 pm

great job pikko and thenobodies =D> =D> =D> =D> im ready to play on this map
Highest Rank: Lieutenant | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!

Been around for too long...said things that shouldn't have been said...but all that has changed
Corporal 1st Class colton24

Postby khazalid on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:52 pm

nice job, it plays very well in team games
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby Shatners Bassoon on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:55 pm

yup,it's a sweet map...congratz :) =D>
31-29
Major Shatners Bassoon

Postby pikkio on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:24 am

i was on holiday and i read now those last posts..

thanx guys! it was hard but i'm very happy cause there was so many games with this map in so little time. ^_^

maybe this thing will push me to make another map... but not before the 2015... :lol:

Postby demonfork on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:16 am

Why do the courts connect to the castle towers? I thought the whole point of having castle walls was that they are impenetrable and the only access to the castle is through the draw bridge. Especially the towers, they have an elevated position with armed guards manning them.
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:07 pm

demonfork wrote:Why do the courts connect to the castle towers? I thought the whole point of having castle walls was that they are impenetrable and the only access to the castle is through the draw bridge. Especially the towers, they have an elevated position with armed guards manning them.

Towers have doors. All players can enter into the castle through these doors. ;)

Postby demonfork on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:34 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
demonfork wrote:Why do the courts connect to the castle towers? I thought the whole point of having castle walls was that they are impenetrable and the only access to the castle is through the draw bridge. Especially the towers, they have an elevated position with armed guards manning them.

Towers have doors. All players can enter into the castle through these doors. ;)

It's completely illogical for there to be exterior doors on castle towers. Again this defeats the purpose of a castle. A Castle is specifically designed to be protected from the outside in.

Ive traveled all over the world and Ive seen a million castles and I have yet to see one that has a fucking door on the outside of one of the towers.

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:14 am

demonfork wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:

It's completely illogical for there to be exterior doors on castle towers. Again this defeats the purpose of a castle. A Castle is specifically designed to be protected from the outside in.

I'm not saying it's logical.But in the same time i'm not saying that this one is a real place. I'm saying that we've already explained (in this thread) how and why they link in this way. Having only a single door/or two will cause a type of gameplay that we (pikkio and me) don't like and that is objectively unbalanced. The map was developed to have a equally distribution of possibility to take the castle from all the 4 quadrants/bridges.
We spent more than a month discussing about towers and access to the castle and community agreed about our work.
If we change the doors we have to change all the gameplay, with the same process occurred with Das Schloss. I'm sorry but i don't see a valid reason to change the whole gameplay for an aesthetics reason, without considering that now there are about 100 active games on this map.

demonfork wrote:Ive traveled all over the world and Ive seen a million castles and I have yet to see one that has a fucking door on the outside of one of the towers

Wow! a million of castle? What do you do in your life? Are you an explorer?...sorry, just kiddin ;) :lol:
Anyway, you have to consider that with mapmaking, sometimes the reality has to be changed a bit to have a better map.
To have doors on towers is a so big problem for you? :?
They make this map unplayable?

Nobodies

ps. congrats for your conqueror rank =D> ;)

Postby 00iCon on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:19 am

demonfork wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:

Ive traveled all over the world and Ive seen a million castles and I have yet to see one that has a fucking door on the outside of one of the towers.

Go and play "Seige!" if you can't handle a good map, n00b!
Oh Crap! I just called the new Conqueror a n00b <facepalm>.

Postby demonfork on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:04 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
I'm not saying it's logical.But in the same time i'm not saying that this one is a real place. I'm saying that we've already explained (in this thread) how and why they link in this way. Having only a single door/or two will cause a type of gameplay that we (pikkio and me) don't like and that is objectively unbalanced. The map was developed to have a equally distribution of possibility to take the castle from all the 4 quadrants/bridges.
We spent more than a month discussing about towers and access to the castle and community agreed about our work.
If we change the doors we have to change all the gameplay, with the same process occurred with Das Schloss. I'm sorry but i don't see a valid reason to change the whole gameplay for an aesthetics reason, without considering that now there are about 100 active games on this map.

demonfork wrote:Ive traveled all over the world and Ive seen a million castles and I have yet to see one that has a fucking door on the outside of one of the towers

Wow! a million of castle? What do you do in your life? Are you an explorer?...sorry, just kiddin ;) :lol:

Ever heard of hyperbole :?

Anyway, you have to consider that with mapmaking, sometimes the reality has to be changed a bit to have a better map.

Fine, then change the name and invent a new structure. Castle means "fortified stronghold". There should be one entrance to a castle, through the draw bridge, not 5. If there were to be alternate entrances, surely they would not directly access the most strategically defensive positions of the castle, the towers.

To have doors on towers is a so big problem for you? :?
They make this map unplayable?

Kinda

ps. congrats for your conqueror rank =D> ;)

Thanks bro :D

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas