Conquer Club

POKE's Conquer Map (version Alpha.2.3 - page 4)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

POKE's Conquer Map (version Alpha.2.3 - page 4)

Postby iceco on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:44 am

Well, version Alpha.2 is done. It is actually about version 6, if you count it in a more conventional way.
As of this version, there are no copyright issues.

I hope to advance to get my draft stamp with this, though that's not up to me, is it?
Note: I already fixed the sharpness of the small map, I can't fix it more.

Old versions:
- Paper draft: no image
- Digital sketch:http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/iceco_lfkd/CCMap.png
- Pre-release v0.5: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/iceco_lfkd/CCMapBG.png
- Pre-release v1.5: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/iceco_lfkd/CCMapBGColourBase.png
- Pre-release v2: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/iceco_lfkd/CCMapBGColourBase-1.png
- Pre-release v3: Not uploaded and in the meanwhile lost.
- Pre-release v4: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/iceco_lfkd/CCMapBGColourBase-5.png
- Official alpha.1: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/iceco_lfkd/CCMapAlfa.png
- Official alpha.2: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/iceco_lfkd/CCMapV2Small.png
- Official alpha.2.1: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/iceco_lfkd/CCMapV2Small-1.png
- Official alpha.2.2: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/iceco_lfkd/CCMapV2Large-1.png

Properties:
Territories: 91
Continents: 31

Current: Alpha.2.3 (Small map discontinued: Alpha.2.2)
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

For version Alpha.3:
- New name for Jotoh
- Alternative for consoles
- Re-add map name and credits
- Make ferry service names bigger
- Find a way to make miscellaneous continents stand out.
Last edited by iceco on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:50 am, edited 27 times in total.
Sergeant iceco

Re: Pokemon regions

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:01 am

copyright.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby shakeycat on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:02 pm

Is this just about the map, or do you want to have some unique animal-collector gameplay? You could cover the idea of pokemon really well, without ever saying the word.
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby Kotaro on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:17 pm

You can't just use images, maps, ideas without saying the word and avoid copyright. All images, basic ideas, everything to do with poke'mon, is copyrighted.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Lieutenant Kotaro

Postby iceco on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:40 am

I have sent a request for permission, defending my goal
Sergeant iceco

Postby iceco on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:13 pm

I got a negative mail (disclaimer prohibits me posting it, :roll: )

Anyway, I just planned on using the names of towns, not catch any pokémon or anything. Which makes me think they can't really prohibit me from using things like "Viridian" instead of "Viridian City" as the former isn't copyrighted (it's a colour pigment) and they could only invoke 'possibility of confusion', which won't work as this has a completely different context as the pokémon games (plus, they'd need an attorney, which they won't bother with, especially since they are wrong).
Sergeant iceco

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:25 pm

iceco wrote:I got a negative mail (disclaimer prohibits me posting it, :roll: )

Anyway, I just planned on using the names of towns, not catch any pokémon or anything. Which makes me think they can't really prohibit me from using things like "Viridian" instead of "Viridian City" as the former isn't copyrighted (it's a colour pigment) and they could only invoke 'possibility of confusion', which won't work as this has a completely different context as the pokémon games (plus, they'd need an attorney, which they won't bother with, especially since they are wrong).

I would suspect you won't be able to do that. If you want to call it Blue City rather than Viridian or Viridian City it could work but simply making a small change (like dropping city) from an easily recognizable copywrited item isn't going to fly.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Danyael on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Kotaro wrote:You can't just use images, maps, ideas without saying the word and avoid copyright. All images, basic ideas, everything to do with poke'mon, is copyrighted.

and trademarked

iceco wrote:I got a negative mail (disclaimer prohibits me posting it, :roll: )

they are not wrong then made up pokeman they have all rights to do what they want with there idea
and they would go after cc cause they are a business making money from people playing on maps
ergo if you want to make a map do not use any thing that looks or resembles the look of any of there maps
your draft for example

why not start your own idea from scratch you would enjoy it alot more
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby iceco on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

I won't make another map though, as this was meant for a special occasion.
I am still looking into the technical details, as it isn't as straight forward as you two put it, though probably the end result will be the same.
Sergeant iceco

Postby iceco on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:21 am

Updated the first post. I made an alpha version.
Sergeant iceco

Postby iancanton on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:00 am

copyright is a serious issue here: it's the reason why cc's middle earth map was hurriedly changed to centerscape before being revamped to midgard. this map, if it contains any pokemon images or unaltered names of pokemon characters or places, will not be authorised by lackattack. most importantly, u must remove the word pokemon itself, though u can probably use a made-up word that looks or sounds similar.

shakeycat wrote:You could cover the idea of pokemon really well, without ever saying the word.

this can certainly be done. conquerman is an example of a copyrighted game that has been turned into a cc map, but where the overall look is clearly recognisable from the original.

u will need community support to advance into the main foundry. though it's early days so far - the map has been posted for only a short time and only a few people know about it - u don't have many comments, partly because many people are away on holiday, but also because u're a new mapmaker who has no fan club. try to drum up some more support and discussion by mentioning ur map and posting a link to it after u play games against new opponents (as long as u don't annoy them by doing it!). u can also use a small image of part of ur map in ur cc signature (do this by editing the signature in ur cc profile), so that players can see a sample of ur work. good luck!

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Pokémon regions - gone in alpha (v 1.0)

Postby iceco on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:21 am

Thanks for the reply.

I have already chanced every name, except for the region names, which I forgot, but I already have alternatives for them. And "pokémon" won't be used. I'll go with "POKE's Conquer" or any less cheesy alternative someone would propose.
Also the map is only based on the pokémon regions loosely, no direct mimicking of geography and the island group formation is made up entirely.
Would that be enough precautions? Especially as the names I "copied" are on trademarks, not as copyrighted ideas, which has a slightly different legal environment (TM's only protect against possibility of confusion between products, which isn't the case here, unless they team up with Hasbro for their own Risk map).

I'll also keep in mind the promotional advise ;) . I certainly must be able to find support under the "young of mind".
Sergeant iceco

Re: Pokémon regions - gone in alpha (v 1.0)

Postby iancanton on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:32 am

almost! after u change the title of this thread in the opening post to the name of ur new map, u ought to be safe enough.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: POKE's Conquer Map (v1)

Postby Schwournes on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:00 am

It looks good, but I think the Sinnoh bonuses don't look logical, I think it should be west, east and maritimes (a band-shaped bonus around the top and east), personally.
Cadet Schwournes

Postby matt-the-twat on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:07 am

Looks fantastic! Can't wait for this as a map, looks like there's a lot of strategy to be had here :)
Sergeant 1st Class matt-the-twat

Postby vilbrii on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:19 am

Great job there ;) Map looks realy nice for big team matches
Captain vilbrii

Postby iceco on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:34 am

Schwournes wrote:It looks good, but I think the Sinnoh bonuses don't look logical, I think it should be west, east and maritimes (a band-shaped bonus around the top and east), personally.

Yes, that division felt the worst to me too.

Though, I tried to subdivide it in four to get smaller bonuses. But in your idea, would you put Lake Savity and Snow Peak in the Maritime bonus or East?
Sergeant iceco

Postby Schwournes on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:43 am

iceco wrote:
Schwournes wrote:It looks good, but I think the Sinnoh bonuses don't look logical, I think it should be west, east and maritimes (a band-shaped bonus around the top and east), personally.

Yes, that division felt the worst to me too.

Though, I tried to subdivide it in four to get smaller bonuses. But in your idea, would you put Lake Savity and Snow Peak in the Maritime bonus or East?

I would put Snow Peak in the Maritime bonus, but the Lake either in Maritime or West; also, I would put Mt. Coronet in the East, because the bonus is smaller. I would also consider splitting the mountain into 2 - maybe north and south, with one being east and the other west
Cadet Schwournes

Postby sinctheassasin on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:53 am

once you fix the bonuses, it should be a really good map

but the thing i have to piss on your map for is still the copy right. you could change the names and everything, but the landmasses would still be copyrighted. they could pull up whatever game it came from, and show you that the land masses are exactly the same, and thats copyrighted.

to make it safe, you would have to pretty much change all of the land shapes, city names, references to poke anything, and once you do that, it really has nothing to do with pokemon... :cry:

its just every single damn element in the game is copyrighted, if you even copy pasted a tree outta the game, they can sue the hell outta you...
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

Postby Schwournes on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:58 am

To be fair, Hoenn looks entirely different to how it normally would, there's a whole chunk missing
Maybe we need a more discreet version for those diehard pokémon fans who know the whole map by heart anyway
Cadet Schwournes

Postby iceco on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:09 am

Schwournes wrote:I would put Snow Peak in the Maritime bonus, but the Lake either in Maritime or West; also, I would put Mt. Coronet in the East, because the bonus is smaller. I would also consider splitting the mountain into 2 - maybe north and south, with one being east and the other west

Splitting the mountain (figuratively) is a good idea, though I might do it North and South, as for technical reasons. One could also be higher, towards Snow Peak, as in the game, it's actually a mountain range.
I also thought of another possible division (with smaller continents), tell me what you think - if it's a no, I'll go with yours:
East (6): the three islands, Canal City, Eternal Forest and Eternal City
South (5): Lake Truth, Twintree Town, Friendship Park, Jubile and Oreville
Central (4): Mt. Corona, Harthome, Silicon Ruins and Pastory
West (7): Sunny Shore, Lake Volition, Veil Stone, 4th Gen, Mt. Bright, Sinnoh League and Paradis

sinctheassasin wrote:once you fix the bonuses, it should be a really good map

but the thing i have to piss on your map for is still the copy right. you could change the names and everything, but the landmasses would still be copyrighted. they could pull up whatever game it came from, and show you that the land masses are exactly the same, and that's copyrighted.

to make it safe, you would have to pretty much change all of the land shapes, city names, references to poke anything, and once you do that, it really has nothing to do with pokemon... :cry:

Thanks on the kind words.
And on the territory subject, this is where "PokeCorp"'s laziness comes in: they copied actual terrains from Japan, so I am free to copy those as much as they did. I intentionally made some differences with their maps, so they are only 90(ish)% alike.

Schwournes wrote:To be fair, Hoenn looks entirely different to how it normally would, there's a whole chunk missing
Maybe we need a more discreet version for those diehard pokémon fans who know the whole map by heart anyway

I know, I made the decision to leave out everything called "Town", except for the starter towns and Lavender Town. I did this to reduce territories (otherwise about 105, which would have made the map too cluttered). If you really want, I'll add Fallarbor Town again, so northern Hoenn doesn't look too empty.
Sergeant iceco

Postby sinctheassasin on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:23 am

if you say sooo...

but if this comes crashing down, it would have been a lot of wasted effort

but for the meantime, march onward poke soldier, march onward... ;)
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

Postby Schwournes on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:28 am

iceco wrote:
Schwournes wrote:I would put Snow Peak in the Maritime bonus, but the Lake either in Maritime or West; also, I would put Mt. Coronet in the East, because the bonus is smaller. I would also consider splitting the mountain into 2 - maybe north and south, with one being east and the other west

Splitting the mountain (figuratively) is a good idea, though I might do it North and South, as for technical reasons. One could also be higher, towards Snow Peak, as in the game, it's actually a mountain range.
I also thought of another possible division (with smaller continents), tell me what you think - if it's a no, I'll go with yours:
East (6): the three islands, Canal City, Eternal Forest and Eternal City
South (5): Lake Truth, Twintree Town, Friendship Park, Jubile and Oreville
Central (4): Mt. Corona, Harthome, Silicon Ruins and Pastory
West (7): Sunny Shore, Lake Volition, Veil Stone, 4th Gen, Mt. Bright, Sinnoh League and Paradis

Schwournes wrote:To be fair, Hoenn looks entirely different to how it normally would, there's a whole chunk missing

I know, I made the decision to leave out everything called "Town", except for the starter towns and Lavender Town. I did this to reduce territories (otherwise about 105, which would have made the map too cluttered). If you really want, I'll add Fallarbor Town again, so northern Hoenn doesn't look too empty.

Where is Snow Peak :S
Those divisions are ok although I do prefer my version lol
And splitting Sinnoh east and west has references to the differences in the shellos
I meant to divide the mountain north and south...maybe have the bit where its en route to snowpoint as north and 1 or 2 in the south part...north/central/south?

I think adding fallarbor is a good idea lol
Cadet Schwournes

Postby iceco on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:46 am

In my proposition Snow Peak isn't part of a bonus, only the big Sinnoh one.
I will ask some friends which they like best (and not tell whose idea is which, to keep it fair). And Corona and Fallarbor will get extra territories.
Sergeant iceco

Postby The Yeti on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:47 am

This map looks fabulous. I'm always on the lookout for larger maps.
Corporal 1st Class The Yeti

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas